Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can you tell us what they censored/changed?

To quote TCRF:

quote:

The German version has the following changes made in order to avoid a USK 18 rating:

Replaces all the human soldiers with robots
The humans' blood is yellow (but the aliens' is still red and there is still blood on the walls)
Replaced blood particles with gears and springs
Makes the scientists and security guards sit down when they are shot
Replaces Gina, Gordon, and the scientist's models with a version of Gordon's suit with a helmet on, to make them look less human

e: I think CS Source also had the "sit down instead of dying" thing and TF2 had party mode due to Germany

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Libluini posted:

Man this reminds me, for the longest time I thought Red Alert was about cyborg-armies of humanoid robots fighting in special delineated combat-zones so no real human would be harmed. One of the first Allied cut-scenes (German dub) even claimed Stalin was evil because he ordered his robots to sometimes leave those special zones to attack civilians.

I was so confused when someone told me that those humanoid robots were in fact, not robots

Edit:

Even if it got better later on, for a time German censor ship was really weird.
This is barely tangentially related but I feel the need to plug the French version of Fist of the North Star because this is what I got for many years without knowing it wasn't supposed to have comedy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzG42u15k4

khy
Aug 15, 2005

What are the best zelda-like games out there?

Specifically SNES Zelda.

Landstalker and Alundra spring to mind, but I'm sure there must be more.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Ys series

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So I'm up to Chapter 9 in Trails SC and goddamn, the Liber Ark is loving huge :stare:. From the cutscenes and vantage shots from the top of the castle and Rolent Clocktower, I thought it was just a floating fortress or building. Not an entire goddamn city. Gotta admit though, I'm always a sucker for a good lost/intact ancient advanced city in a JRPG. Are there any particular things to look out for? I found a console in a bar out in the Residential District talking about receiving packages, is that something to keep in mind for later or something?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

The Machine posted:

What JRPGs are y'all buying in the Steam sale?

Akiba's Trip is on sale...

I bought Trails in the Sky for my first ever Steam game but it apparently doesn't work for mac. Searching google for a way to get it to work, I found some links for Wine and Steam Wrapper which just led me to ads and malware.

Oh well, back to consoles.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

khy posted:

What are the best zelda-like games out there?

Specifically SNES Zelda.

Landstalker and Alundra spring to mind, but I'm sure there must be more.

There's the Saturn Shining game that's a bit Zelda-y, Wisdom I think? I can't remember if it's any good though. Also Beyond Oasis on the Megadrive.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Darksiders 1 is basically a Zelda clone

Terranigma, and Illusion of Gaia also have places in my heart but they lack that over world explore/unlock feel.

Levantine posted:

Sounds good, I've been doing Wars early and exploring more than doing story. I am building my fifth troop around a dragon mage I found with a B in Con, I think so we'll see how that goes. What does TEC do other than increase EXP gains? I've noticed that pumping STR/MAG isn't really getting me over the hump in mostly even battles.
1% more XP per point of TEC, also helps with guarding supposedly

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 24, 2016

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Levantine posted:

Sounds good, I've been doing Wars early and exploring more than doing story. I am building my fifth troop around a dragon mage I found with a B in Con, I think so we'll see how that goes. What does TEC do other than increase EXP gains? I've noticed that pumping STR/MAG isn't really getting me over the hump in mostly even battles.

Tec also improves your guard skill.

rundxdi
Feb 3, 2004

Soup Of The Day

Rascyc posted:

[e] I've come around on maxing TEC to 99 first. On all my character tests, having 99 str or mag just doesn't seem to help all that much. 99 Vit provides a noticeable bump in action but not so much that you get more than maybe one good attack. Honestly Con might not be that bad of an idea to max either but guarding is so much better and there is so much passive healing already. So I guess in the end I am saying the stats kind of suck outside of TEC and I guess spirit. Also I'm pretty sure you could do fine with people that have all E/F aptitudes as a result.

Numberwise, I'm pretty sure I read that 99 str/mag increases your damage by 50%, and that 99 vit increases your gauge by 50% as well. So it seems like getting the stats from leveling up with 99 tec is more useful than those.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I guess the question would be 'why does the stat increases with level matter if all the content is scaled to you'?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

kirbysuperstar posted:

To quote TCRF:

e: I think CS Source also had the "sit down instead of dying" thing and TF2 had party mode due to Germany

These are pretty good. Fallout 2's Euro version had to deal with the "no depicting violence against children" thing. Back then simply making the children unkillable (as in Fallout 3 onward) wasn't an option so they made them invisible instead. Two particular cases where this gets nuts, is that in one town there's pickpocket kids who still exist and will still rob you but are now invisible. The other is that the children aren't impossible to harm, just to see or target. So if you know where they are and have grenades, rockets, or happen to walk around naked with only a lit dynamite for the little bastards to pickpocket...

War Thunder's a f2p WWII tanks/planes game that for similar censorship in the EU can only have people "become unconscious." Yeah that 57mm HEFI to the chest really knocked the wind out of me for a while, but I got better. Flaming death spirals into fireballs merely knock the crew of a plane unconscious.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the eu censorship makes me wonder how fallout 2 would have handled that, if they had gotten the dev time they needed to put in the orphanage side quest that gets all those kids off the streets in the first place

would that entire side quest just not exist?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

rundxdi posted:

Numberwise, I'm pretty sure I read that 99 str/mag increases your damage by 50%, and that 99 vit increases your gauge by 50% as well. So it seems like getting the stats from leveling up with 99 tec is more useful than those.

People are saying that damaging increasing Pyroxenes are way more helpful in jacking up damage than putting points into str/mag. I don't know about defense though.

When do units stop learning skills? I know the highest level equipment is 51 but I found a level 70 monster group in one of the travel quests.

Still no idea how to regularly increase Guild Rank

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So I'm up to Chapter 9 in Trails SC and goddamn, the Liber Ark is loving huge :stare:. From the cutscenes and vantage shots from the top of the castle and Rolent Clocktower, I thought it was just a floating fortress or building. Not an entire goddamn city. Gotta admit though, I'm always a sucker for a good lost/intact ancient advanced city in a JRPG. Are there any particular things to look out for? I found a console in a bar out in the Residential District talking about receiving packages, is that something to keep in mind for later or something?

Make sure to go back to the ship after every big event, the crystals you got in chapter 7 will start getting translated.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rascyc posted:

Darksiders 1 is basically a Zelda clone

It really fuckin' is, I didn't believe this until I got to this part the other day. I know I'd been told as much since launch, but nobody was ever very specific. I made it to the first real story boss zone and saw the map, and I was like "what the gently caress is this, this looks like a Zelda dunge--oh right :downs:"

rundxdi
Feb 3, 2004

Soup Of The Day

Lakbay posted:

People are saying that damaging increasing Pyroxenes are way more helpful in jacking up damage than putting points into str/mag. I don't know about defense though.

When do units stop learning skills? I know the highest level equipment is 51 but I found a level 70 monster group in one of the travel quests.

I believe they stop at 50

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Help I'm level 68 in The World Ends With You and I'm not even on Week 3 yet. This game is too good

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

alcharagia posted:

Help I'm level 68 in The World Ends With You and I'm not even on Week 3 yet. This game is too good

It really is.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lakbay posted:

I don't see how that's possible but I suppose it might be. The problem with pyroxenes is that they only buff one specific type of skill line and you can't stack the same gem, so you need to find all different tiers and then start slotting them in. They're all pretty low values too but maybe there's some gigantic ones later?

ChrisBTY posted:

I guess the question would be 'why does the stat increases with level matter if all the content is scaled to you'?
In online your level is basically the cap on encounters. You'll run into anything from level 1 to whatever your level is. The higher your level, the more offense you generally have so you can clear encounters faster which means bigger impact on the operation as a whole, so more rewards. That's basically the feedback loop for online play.

For offline, campaign stuff is level locked and doesn't scale. Singleton missions do scale.

In the exploration mode, there's usually 3 "golden bounty" bosses on each map. Typically one that's scaled for the area level, one that's slightly above, and then one that's much further ahead. You need to kill these things for schematics and junk to give you the good equipment for use online.

However you stat yourself out just gives you edges wherever. One of the ranked heroes who is always straight S'ing eveything online says he just raises vit/agi on all his offense people so they can get around more so that's just one flavor of something you can do to give yourself an edge.

I mean basically the whole game is one of those mobile phone war sim games when you get down to it. It's just fun to waste time in ultimately.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 24, 2016

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Years later it still remains one of the best things Square's ever done. Top-notch style, music, and characters.

I hope you're having a good time with your Good Friend Joshua.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Just got two kittens today, named them Luca and Nanami, thought it was relevant for this thread.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Rascyc posted:

I don't see how that's possible but I suppose it might be. The problem with pyroxenes is that they only buff one specific type of skill line and you can't stack the same gem, so you need to find all different tiers and then start slotting them in. They're all pretty low values too but maybe there's some gigantic ones later?

In online your level is basically the cap on encounters. You'll run into anything from level 1 to whatever your level is. The higher your level, the more offense you generally have so you can clear encounters faster which means bigger impact on the operation as a whole, so more rewards. That's basically the feedback loop for online play.

For offline, campaign stuff is level locked and doesn't scale. Singleton missions do scale.

In the exploration mode, there's usually 3 "golden bounty" bosses on each map. Typically one that's scaled for the area level, one that's slightly above, and then one that's much further ahead. You need to kill these things for schematics and junk to give you the good equipment for use online.

However you stat yourself out just gives you edges wherever. One of the ranked heroes who is always straight S'ing eveything online says he just raises vit/agi on all his offense people so they can get around more so that's just one flavor of something you can do to give yourself an edge.

I mean basically the whole game is one of those mobile phone war sim games when you get down to it. It's just fun to waste time in ultimately.

Highest pyroxene I've found is +16% damage and considering 99 str/mag is +50% damage the extra +16%,+8%,+4% or whatever from gems is already worth 25 levels worth of str/mag it's nothing to sneeze at. I assume higher level weapons have way more pyroxene slots too.

My level 8 team had to fight level 11 teams a few times in War so I'm not quite sure what determines the highest level teams you'll face but it's definitely not based on your highest person in the current troop.

Versus missions scale the monsters but sometimes it'll drop someone's super high level troop to compete against you so watch out.

Remember that the points you're investing at level up are BONUS points and your units still get stats in everything at each level which is why people are suggesting 99 TEC or everything into vit/agi

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 24, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

dmboogie posted:

Years later it still remains one of the best things Square's ever done. Top-notch style, music, and characters.

I hope you're having a good time with your Good Friend Joshua.

the primary reason i'm not on week 3 is because the game is going to have to pry young mr. yoshiya kiryu from my cold dead hands to take him away

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lakbay posted:

Remember that the points you're investing at level up are BONUS points and your units still get stats in everything at each level which is why people are suggesting 99 TEC or everything into vit/agi
Yeah but it's like ... so what. Everything dies so fast anyway so unless you are chasing Hero in the ops you can pretty much do whatever.

I dunno if that's a negative or a positive for a game like this.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 24, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They will never give The World Ends With You the proper sequel it deserves.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would buy a 3DS port with nothing changed but integrating Streetpass.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaggitz posted:

Make sure to go back to the ship after every big event, the crystals you got in chapter 7 will start getting translated.

I figured that one after the game points it out to you the first time back and half of them were available. And yes I made drat sure to get all four crystals in each Shadow Tower.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

alcharagia posted:

I had to force myself to progress through the plot every now and then, not because I didn't like the story/cast but because the gameplay was so god drat fun.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Rascyc posted:

Yeah but it's like ... so what. Everything dies so fast anyway so unless you are chasing Hero in the ops you can pretty much do whatever.

I dunno if that's a negative or a positive for a game like this.

Well like you said everything dies so fast even without any points into str/mag you might as well maximize your actions/movement. Since the story is so sparse and the way the game is set up, the whole point is to have a ~perfect~ set up of stats and to sperg over minmaxing.

I mean I only put points into TEC because I consider the experience gain to be glacially slow and I haven't found a super overpowered skill combo I like.

While I really appreciate being unable to gimp your character, the game doesn't really reward specializing bonus points.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm in the intermission between chapters 1 and 2 in #FE and so far it's fun. Not terribly hard as of yet, since unlike Persona you can leave dungeons to heal and such whenever you like, but it's flashy and satisfying and cute.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So I hear the FF9 PC port has some problems.

How bad are they really?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Is there any sort of consensus on Grand Kingdom being worth it? What games is it like? I couldn't find a thread for it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

bloodychill posted:

Is there any sort of consensus on Grand Kingdom being worth it? What games is it like? I couldn't find a thread for it.

I don't know about a consensus but so far I quite like it. Its effectively a tactical rpg where combat takes place on 3 planes, with a smidge of real-time attacks. Game is very pretty and plot isn't anything to write home about or anything but it is fun to play. Online war's where you can send your guys off to either fight in real time or be used as NPC's by other people is quite neat as well.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

So I hear the FF9 PC port has some problems.

How bad are they really?

The UI is pretty obviously meant for phones but other than that it's fine. The speedup feature is a nice bonus and the game looks better

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm in the intermission between chapters 1 and 2 in #FE and so far it's fun. Not terribly hard as of yet, since unlike Persona you can leave dungeons to heal and such whenever you like, but it's flashy and satisfying and cute.

You can leave dungeons at any timr in Persona 3 and 4 too. Even using the same spell as TMS uses, or a Goho-M). Once you return it'll even put you back at the start of the floor.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

bloodychill posted:

I guess we should just start a thread at this point instead of co-opting the RPG thread but ehhhh

Game is fun. What you can't probably tell from some of our back and forth is that the game runs extremely well on the PS4. Lag is not an issue, the menus are all snappy, everything looks good (albeit a bit ... mobile'ish I guess?), the music is subdued but not annoying, and there are quality of life features for pretty much every single thing from saving formations to locating resources to craft. If there's any complaint, the voice acting is pretty lovely on both sides of the language. I've noticed a lot of people complaining about lack of tutorials but I honestly thought there were too many tutorials. The game does leave you to your own devices and you can do whatever you want.

There's a lot offline content. The game came with all the DLC from Japan so we have the main campaign that ends at like the mid twenties (which is like baby merc territory) and then the country campaigns start at like level 50. There's a bunch of other stuff to do like explore the country side to kill bounties, and things like that. I think we've talked enough about the wars but they're charming too.

Combat's a lot of fun but can get repetitive. Thankfully there are 17 classes so you can always just tinker with your party to vary it up, and there are A LOT of skills so there's no shortage of variety. Also I get the feeling that a lot of offline encounters were hand crafted instead of RNG'ed lik the trash. All of the bounties have these neat themes going on and there's plenty of random events that proc on exploration type adventures.

Unfortunately you can never skip animations, which means you need to watch that 3 second armament animation a lot if you decide to do wars.

I really like it, but you need to find your own reason to play the game and that's usually going to be making arbitrary numbers go up and building cool parties. It's pretty open like that.

Lakbay posted:

Well like you said everything dies so fast even without any points into str/mag you might as well maximize your actions/movement. Since the story is so sparse and the way the game is set up, the whole point is to have a ~perfect~ set up of stats and to sperg over minmaxing.

I mean I only put points into TEC because I consider the experience gain to be glacially slow and I haven't found a super overpowered skill combo I like.

While I really appreciate being unable to gimp your character, the game doesn't really reward specializing bonus points.
Yeah that's exactly where I'm at. I'm slowing collecting all the blue brints so I can deck my party out in silly cosmetic stuff. I also noticed since hitting like level 50, all my opponents in wars are like level 10-20 people that I just mow over. I've taken a break from wars for now.

OTOH if you do need to level, the experience skill + bounty is like 5 level ups if you fight the ones grossly over your level. Experience + fort spam is also good in wars. I use that other skill that lowers enemy stats by like 50% on the field, it's also pretty silly.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 25, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Is the online stuff actually worth it? Because the minute I saw the 'daily checkin bonus' I got a bit suspicious about whether it'd be mobile skinner box level stuff.

Also I'm enjoying the posts while I try to figure out whether to buy it so really who cares about more posts in a thread

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can leave dungeons at any timr in Persona 3 and 4 too. Even using the same spell as TMS uses, or a Goho-M). Once you return it'll even put you back at the start of the floor.
Yeah, I just mean there's no penalty. In Persona 3 or 4 you lose a day if you go out to heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The online is neat but I think it's gonna wear thin in a few weeks. There's really not a lot of people involved. I put in maybe a hour or two and I get like top 200 with moderate rankings.

The daily check-in has been broken since launch, at least I think that's the stamps or whatever. The rewards look like they suck too?

You do get rewards for killing like ten people in each theatre and if your country decided to wage war on three fronts well that's a lot of killing if you care about some of the loot. Nothing too special in those lists aside from class up scrolls.

The king weapons are online exclusive and you need to be a hero to get those. Afaik hero is translation for whoever decides to sit in the war mode the longest so gently caress that?

The whole thing is a fun diversion. Don't treat it like an "end game" or anything though, it'll be terrible.