Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Spoeank posted:

1-2-3 not surprising but 4 shocked me. I didn't realize Randle had so much production

You know, it's kind of weird. As a Giants fan my memory of Rueben Randle was that his granite hands stonehandedly tanked our season, but when I dug into the stats a bit more, he really wasn't that bad. He apparently only had 4 official drops last year (93rd in the league) and he averaged 5.6 targets per game and caught an average of 3.5 targets per game, which puts him in the same ballpark as Jordan Matthews 2014 season. Maybe it's that his drops were so goddamn egregious and visible, but I really thought he was a lot worse than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
It may have been a perception thing. I noticed Jordan Matthews' dropsies more than others because I drafted him and they were probably wide open catches.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Suave Fedora posted:

It may have been a perception thing. I noticed Jordan Matthews' dropsies more than others because I drafted him and they were probably wide open catches.

Matthews had some real bad ones, and at least one that he tipped right to a defender.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
JM also has an alligator arms problem and can't hold onto the ball while getting hit which register fewer official drops

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Discord is a thing that is fun. If you guys want to hang out there I made a channel: https://discord.gg/pYXTC

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 28, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Eric Decker

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Metapod posted:

Eric Decker

https://www.fantasypros.com/2016/01/fantasy-football-lessons-learned-wrte/

"Don’t forget about Eric Decker
In his last two years in Denver as a real-life WR2, Eric Decker produced 24 total touchdowns. After he left for the Jets and a big payday, he dropped down to five touchdowns as defenses keyed in on him. With the addition of Brandon Marshall to the Jets’ passing attack, Decker is back as the second wide receiver. With Ryan Fitzpatrick and Chan Gailey, Decker produced 12 touchdowns this season without a massive multi-touchdown game to buoy his numbers. He will likely be criminally underrated next season, and isn’t going to get the respect that his 80 receptions, 1,027 yards and 12 touchdown line should receive.

- Some Fantasy Football Super Genius"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Unrelated but kind of related my division-by-division breakdown of WR target opportunities starts today:

http://theinscribermag.com/sports/fantasy-football-2016-gauging-wide-receiver-opportunities-nfc-north.html

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spoeank posted:

- Some Fantasy Football Super Genius"

Hey that guys twitter bio sounds like you. YOU MIGHT HAVE A NEW BEST FRIEND

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Not only is he so smart and good at fantasy sports, he's so good looking too.

I'd be intimidated to be his friend

it me

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I'm about to join my first dynasty league and it's a start-up. For the draft order we did a random drawing to decide the order you get to pick your pick, so the person who get the #1 doesn't have to pick #1, he gets to pick whatever pick he wants. It is a snake draft.

I got #3, so I'm the third in line to decide which pick I want. Is there a general consensus on which picks are best for dynasty leagues? I'm leaning toward picking #4 or 5 if it's available, since it's a good mix of top-end potential but not waiting 22 picks between my own.

Also, is there a good, big primer for dynasty league start-up drafts somewhere that I can read?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Draft young talented wrs

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, all the draft boards I've found are full of WRs, which I'm not used to because I've never done PPR. This is .5 PPR.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

WRs get pushed way, way up draft boards in dyno startups because they are very good for a very long time. They're foundational pieces; RBs are fleeting.

The Dynasty Blueprint Podcast is a pretty good resource. They have a 3 episodes based on dynasty startup strategies (22/23/24).

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Spoeank posted:

WRs get pushed way, way up draft boards in dyno startups because they are very good for a very long time. They're foundational pieces; RBs are fleeting.

The Dynasty Blueprint Podcast is a pretty good resource. They have a 3 episodes based on dynasty startup strategies (22/23/24).

Makes sense, and that'll be a perfect resource for me since I have some flights coming up and like podcasting through them. Thanks!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Makes sense, and that'll be a perfect resource for me since I have some flights coming up and like podcasting through them. Thanks!

Fantasy Pros tabulates decent sources for their keeper/dynasty rankings. Also dynastyff at Reddit has links to more resources, though just know the community there skews to valuing youth even more than most.

Also, to get a sense for how different dynasty and redraft are, here is my team that so far I'm thrilled about through 9 rounds of a 2QB, 2TE, full PPR start up:

QB: Dalton, Ryan
WR: Cooper, Evans, Parker, White
RB: David Johnson
TE: Kelce

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Unrelated but kind of related my division-by-division breakdown of WR target opportunities starts today:

http://theinscribermag.com/sports/fantasy-football-2016-gauging-wide-receiver-opportunities-nfc-north.html

Part Two: NFC East breakdown

http://theinscribermag.com/sports/fantasy-football-2016-gauging-wide-receiver-opportunities-nfc-east.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

(Just catching up to the thread but) I've been saying for two or three years that Reuben Randle was worth owning in most leagues and I always got shouted down by Giants homers yelling about his terrible rout running. That's fine, I've enjoyed winning games with his fantasy points.

In 1ppr ESPN standard he averaged over 11 points a game last year, putting him at #32 among wideouts, making him a solid matchup/flex option. In our 14 team league I was often the only one interested in owning him. It's bizarre.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

(Just catching up to the thread but) I've been saying for two or three years that Reuben Randle was worth owning in most leagues and I always got shouted down by Giants homers yelling about his terrible rout running. That's fine, I've enjoyed winning games with his fantasy points.

In 1ppr ESPN standard he averaged over 11 points a game last year, putting him at #32 among wideouts, making him a solid matchup/flex option. In our 14 team league I was often the only one interested in owning him. It's bizarre.

:hfive:

RVProfootballer posted:

FYI, Giants waived James Jones. Rueben Randle is an underrated pick up.

Look at these unbelievers I don't think they lost much sleep over missing out on him haha

kiimo posted:

Rueben Randle will never fool me again. There's no place for you on this team.

Forever_Peace posted:

Unrosterable in leagues smaller than 14 imo.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 29, 2016

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
I like the article. Great work on the write up.

However... I cannot stop laughing at how Randle is the accompanying picture for the article but a forgotten man when the Eagles are brought up. It's very fitting. gently caress Rueben Randle.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Rueben Randle is a forgotten man because wait who is Rueben Randle :confused:

actually it's because I got super lazy with the Eagles part because Pederson is a Reid disciple and well look at how Andy Reid runs his teams. Like I said, nobody but Matthews will matter if he holds true to AR's form

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Spoeank posted:

Rueben Randle is a forgotten man because wait who is Rueben Randle :confused:

actually it's because I got super lazy with the Eagles part because Pederson is a Reid disciple and well look at how Andy Reid runs his teams. Like I said, nobody but Matthews will matter if he holds true to AR's form

I haven't spent significant time digging into any numbers, but I'm expecting Philly's offense to flirt with full-on dumpster fire this season. Am I missing something? Is the run game going to surprise?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Oh it'll be a mess but it'll be a mitigated mess that'll support usable numbers from everyone named Mat(t)hews or Ertz. Ryan Mathews should be a target if he can stay healthy (cue laughter)

Although I had to hold off on my Jordan Matthews hate (but that's coming later down the line).

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
I can't even trust Jordan Matthews at his current mid-round ADP anymore than their other guys. He's their "#1" but all of his production comes out of the slot and I would guess they're going to use 3 WR formations a lot less than Chip Kelly did.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Spoeank posted:

Oh it'll be a mess but it'll be a mitigated mess that'll support usable numbers from Ertz

Keep chasing that Brent Celek-usage dragon

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Eagles offense is gonna be just fine :colbert:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I think I just figured something out:

QBs have always gone early in our league. Last year, two went in the 1st round, one in the 2nd and one in the 3rd. I've assumed til now that it's a holdover from the earlier days of the league, when QBs scored 6/TD and 1/20 yds passing. But a couple of seasons ago we backed off QB scoring to a much more reasonable 5/25. A bit higher than average, but not enough to justify how our QBs are still being drafted.

Here's the thing: we charge $10 for free agents and trades. So streaming QB-of-the-Week (or K or DST) is out of the question. I can't believe I'm just now figuring this out -- but for all I know, I'm wrong & we simply have a bunch of morons in our league. Am I right? Is that a justifiable reason to draft elite QBs early?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Lincoln posted:

QBs have always gone early in our league. Last year, two went in the 1st round, one in the 2nd and one in the 3rd. I've assumed til now that it's a holdover from the earlier days of the league, when QBs scored 6/TD and 1/20 yds passing. But a couple of seasons ago we backed off QB scoring to a much more reasonable 5/25. A bit higher than average, but not enough to justify how our QBs are still being drafted.

Here's the thing: we charge $10 for free agents and trades. So streaming QB-of-the-Week (or K or DST) is out of the question. I can't believe I'm just now figuring this out -- but for all I know, I'm wrong & we simply have a bunch of morons in our league. Am I right? Is that a justifiable reason to draft elite QBs early?

I think that makes QBs a little bit more valuable by restricting streaming, but you're still able to get great steals at QB in later rounds. Just because folks pick up the Cam/Russel/Luck/Rodgers early on and it hurts to stream doesn't mean you still can't take a Bortles/Carr/Cousins/Smith later on after your starting RBs, WRs and maybe TE are settled.

So I guess I'd say stick with grabbing a QB late, just try to pick up a second QB really late on a different bye week. So maybe a Winston, Ryan or Stafford rounds 9-12 and then Brock or Cutler at the tail end of the draft. Or even Carr/Rivers/Eli a couple rounds earlier and then Winston/Ryan/Stafford as your backup.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah, I'd say that there's nothing wrong with "reaching" on a QB in that format, but it should be those middle tier guys that your reaching on to make sure you have some reliable QB numbers. I don't think I'd want to go into a season under those settings without one of Carr/Eli/Rivers and then grab a value backup later, but let other teams blow a first on Cam, ain't nobody got time for that

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Sterling Shepard, my man.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

http://theinscribermag.com/sports/fantasy-football-2016-gauging-wide-receiver-opportunities-nfc-west.html
NFC West:

Don't draft Doug Baldwin.

Do draft Tyler Lockett.

Do draft Torrey Smith.

Don't draft Larry Fitzgerald.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
I agree with pretty much all of that, but man underestimate Palmer2Fitz at your own risk.

If Tyler Lockett didn't have little baby hands I'd take him as my WR2. Dude owns, but is literally playing with kid gloves on.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I will not draft Torrey Smith barring some insane value

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Torrey Smith's ADP is 136, WR51

Right between James Starks and Kenneth Dixon

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Metapod posted:

I will not draft Torrey Smith barring some insane value

That was the whole point, though. Currently he is going in the 10th round+ and for someone who should see WR1 volume, that's really good value.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I did not read the article

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Here's how I imagine Torrey Smith ownership will go:

1) Draft him super late and feel p good
2) Have one of your targeted sleepers go between then and your next pick
3) Smith starts off abysmal and you cut his rear end before week 5
4) Your targeted sleeper is blowing up
5) Someone picks up Smith and he's a WR2/3 ROS

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Here's how I imagine Torrey Smith ownership will go:

3) Smith starts off abysmal and you cut his rear end before week 5
5) Someone picks up Smith and he's a WR2/3 ROS

As God intended

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Here's how I imagine <draft picks between rounds 11 and 15> will go:

3) <player> starts off abysmal and you cut his rear end before week 5
5) Someone picks up <player> and he's a WR2/3 ROS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lincoln posted:

$10 per transaction is dumb. I'd much rather participate in a FAAB league where the money was real and you get whatever you didn't spend back at the end of the season. At least then you have a motivation to balance your spending. But $10 per transaction? Dumb.

That said I wouldn't use that as motivation to reach for a QB. It naturally penalizes streamers (hence why it is dumb), but I'd much rather aim for two high upside QBs that I could pick in the later rounds and balance them. Players like Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, and Tony Romo would be folks I would target.

• Locked thread