Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Panty Saluter posted:

~*~MY ARTISINAL HAND ENCODED 10 BIT ANIME MKVS~*~
(these work on mpc-hc perfectly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

spankmeister posted:

Does anyone have any experience with basically transfering a windows 10 install to a new machine?

I am replacing most parts in my pc that make it a pc (processor, motherboard, ram, SSD, GPU)

If i boot from my current SSD, reactivate windows, then reinstall to the new SSD will it work? Do I need to call microsoft?

Apparently the next update ads a feature where you can transfer a license to your msft account, then transfer it back after the install, and it's specifically for that use case. No idea on when that would be ready or how it works tho.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

maniacdevnull posted:

Apparently the next update ads a feature where you can transfer a license to your msft account, then transfer it back after the install, and it's specifically for that use case. No idea on when that would be ready or how it works tho.

oo that would own

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

kalstrams posted:

(these work on mpc-hc perfectly)

shameful

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
i took an old hard drive out of a dead laptop and put it in a new desktop and windows never said a word about reactivating :shrug:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

i took an old hard drive out of a dead laptop and put it in a new desktop and windows never said a word about reactivating :shrug:

its mysterious

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Smythe posted:

its mysterious

bill moves in mysterious ways

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyone played around linux for windows update?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

kalstrams posted:

anyone played around linux for windows update?

yeah it's OK. some weird things
you have to run as root
ubuntu userland is bad
symlinks across filesystems are weird so python virtualenvs don't work correctly
you can't run apt-get update everything fails to upgrade

also you have to run a dumb prerelease windows 10 as your desktop which breaks obscure features like "start menu" and "calculator" reliably every two updates

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

yeah it's OK. some weird things
you have to run as root
ubuntu userland is bad
symlinks across filesystems are weird so python virtualenvs don't work correctly
you can't run apt-get update everything fails to upgrade

also you have to run a dumb prerelease windows 10 as your desktop which breaks obscure features like "start menu" and "calculator" reliably every two updates
oic, promising but immature. will postpone it until release candidate at least then, and plop a vm for artisanal unix software ill have to run soon

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i honestly thought you were asking about a wsus server on linux

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

i honestly thought you were asking about a wsus server on linux
naw, win10 dev build is getting some linux treatment from canonical

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
my windows 10 goes to sleep after like one minute of inactivity but the power settings say "put computer to sleep: never". please help

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Maximum Leader posted:

my windows 10 goes to sleep after like one minute of inactivity but the power settings say "put computer to sleep: never". please help

does it still go to sleep immediately if you set it to one hour

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

ahmeni posted:

does it still go to sleep immediately if you set it to one hour

yes

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
your os is tired, maybe just let it sleep for a while?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah give that poo poo a break mate. slave driving piece of poo poo

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
im not a professional computer toucher, so just a thought

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
much appreciated, thanks lads :)

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

check Event Viewer to see why it went to sleep maybe

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
also windows 10 has the new "power and sleep" settings and the old "power options" so maybe check both places

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the event log will tell you what initiated sleep events and just out of curiosity is this a laptop? it might be going in to emergency oh poo poo go to sleep mode if its not polling the battery right

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

are u closoing the lid
what about the screensaver settings

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i dont close the lid, no screensaver goes on and the event viewer says the reason is system idle. it is a laptop though and i dont have a battery

Maximum Leader fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 11, 2016

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Go in to the advance power settings and configure the sleep window for both battery and AC power. It's probably hiding the battery options in the gui but might be using those parameters anyway if it isn't parsing the hardware right

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also turn off hybrid sleep mode while you're in there

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hybrid sleep is good, ignore hovercraft

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

hybrid sleep is good, ignore hovercraft

good luck he can follwo u on land and sea

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
he's not wrong

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
hybrid sleep is disabled and the both sleep settings are the same. looks like im just going to have to live with it i guess

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maximum Leader posted:

hybrid sleep is disabled and the both sleep settings are the same. looks like im just going to have to live with it i guess

see what happens if you switch to a different profile (you're probably on balanced, so try max performance)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

see what happens if you switch to a different profile (you're probably on balanced, so try max performance)
profiles have separate setting profiles, yes

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
so i'm visiting the parents for summer vacation and they have some boonies tier satellite isp cuz they're way the gently caress out on cape breton and the weirdest poo poo just happened. all of a sudden i can't get any connections on port 443, to any site. any https site just times out, even in curl. it was working half an hour ago. i've reset the dlink they use as a gateway. any ideas?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

so i'm visiting the parents for summer vacation and they have some boonies tier satellite isp cuz they're way the gently caress out on cape breton and the weirdest poo poo just happened. all of a sudden i can't get any connections on port 443, to any site. any https site just times out, even in curl. it was working half an hour ago. i've reset the dlink they use as a gateway. any ideas?
try a vpn on port 80

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

tracert and then telnet 443 each hop to find the source of the problem

if it's the first hop try power cycling everything

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

angry_keebler posted:

tracert and then telnet 443 each hop to find the source of the problem

if it's the first hop try power cycling everything

way late but there is tcptraceroute for this kind of thing and it's p sweet

ahmeni fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 22, 2016

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

on the windows 10 install on the NUC I got my dad the windows indexing service got turned off somehow and doesn't want to turn back on. I assume this is why many things that shouldn't have a blank white page icon have a blank white page icon in explorer

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I've had the index service corrupt itself on three different occasions and I've had to do a ton of googling every time because all the MS fixes don't work and it ended up having to re-register dlls and cycling services or something stupid like that. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica

DuckConference posted:

on the windows 10 install on the NUC I got my dad the windows indexing service got turned off somehow and doesn't want to turn back on. I assume this is why many things that shouldn't have a blank white page icon have a blank white page icon in explorer

try going into regedit and changing these values.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]

"RunOnceHasShown"=dword:00000001

"RunOnceComplete"=dword:00000001

and restart. indexing service being off may be a symptom of a larger problem.