Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Unless there's a joke I'm missing here, Silver Sable is a woman.

He's giving me poo poo despite me not saying anything about Sony and despite there being 50 years of evidence to back me up on DC biting Marvels steeze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

He's giving me poo poo despite me not saying anything about Sony and despite there being 50 years of evidence to back me up on DC biting Marvels steeze

It was a (not particularly effective) joke about how "Sony's movie chief said that they want Marvel to help them get the new Spiderman Universe off the ground" and the sort of heroes Marvel has selected, which I probably should have made about Silver Sable and not Black Cat, but definitely had nothing to do with you.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just think the movie is going to be awful because Sony is an objectively awful film company with a toxic as gently caress behind the scenes environment that only did as good as they did with the Raimi films because it was Sam Raimi making them and when they did rear their heads for SM3 there went the whole show.

The best chance the new Spider-Man film has of being good is entirely proportional to how much control Sony has and how much influence they try to exert. The more they try, the more it's going to be a goddamn trash fire.

Not that the creative team, ANY of the creative team, gives me hope for the film regardless.

Sony going off on their own and making a Silver Sable film though could either be the dumbest or best thing they could do, since it would have to be an entirely original thing, and there is NO ONE who would go BUT MAH SILVER SABLE for whatever dumb changes they make because no one cares about Silver Sable.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Like let's start with the fact that DCs characters function much better when they don't exist in a shared universe (because they were never meant to before Justice League #1 came out) and the Nolan Batman movies did just fine despite not vein f part of a Cinematic Universe and starting before Marvel got rolling

But Marvel hit it big with the MCU so quick we gotta start over and do that but not actually do the thing that made Marvels movies work which is give everyone their own movie first to develop them

And this is just the movies, this isn't even talking about their comics since Marvel busted onto the scene and Stan Lee started spitting diss tracks in the letters columns every month

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sir Kodiak posted:

It was a (not particularly effective) joke about how "Sony's movie chief said that they want Marvel to help them get the new Spiderman Universe off the ground" and the sort of heroes Marvel has selected, which I probably should have made about Silver Sable and not Black Cat, but definitely had nothing to do with you.

That joke still makes no sense

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Thanks for letting me know, it's nice to receive feedback.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

He was saying Sony so desperately wants to be Marvel that they won't actually make a movie starring a woman, which makes perfect sense as it was said. You having no reading comprehension is the issue.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Like let's start with the fact that DCs characters function much better when they don't exist in a shared universe (because they were never meant to before Justice League #1 came out)

:goonsay: World's Finest had been going on for at least a decade before JLA, and the JSA nearly twenty years. With various team ups between unrelated characters happening all the time in between.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

cvnvcnv posted:

He was saying Sony so desperately wants to be Marvel that they won't actually make a movie starring a woman, which makes perfect sense as it was said. You having no reading comprehension is the issue.

But Silver Sable is a woman

It would have made sense if the announcement was about like I dunno The Prowler but they specifically called out one of the few notable female super people in the Spider-Man corner of the Marvel U

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 25, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

:goonsay: World's Finest had been going on for at least a decade before JLA, and the JSA nearly twenty years. With various team ups between unrelated characters happening all the time in between.

And all of them were characters who were not intended to share a universe is the broader point here

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

But Silver Sable is a woman

It would have made sense if the announcement was about like I dunno The Prowler but they specifically called out one of the few notable female super people in the Spider-Man corner of the Marvel U

Legit, have you not been wearing your helmet when you go outside? Is this a troll?

Dude, did you read that one article about the Aunt May movie they totally are going to make? It's such a sure thing I already saw it. Awesome movie, I loved all four sequels too! Sony is the best, they make poo poo tons of female superhero movies.

Don't believe me? A website article mentioned Silver Sable and SHE IS A WOMAN!!!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

cvnvcnv posted:

Legit, have you not been wearing your helmet when you go outside? Is this a troll?

Turn your monitor on

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
But I mean it's not like this has been a rumor since the email hack or anything, it's exactly as ludicrous as the idea of an Aunt May movie, you're right, and also not an rear end in a top hat

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Apparently an Aunt May movie was also talked about in those emails and like that's awesome I would go see it day one

Also these rumors are still more than Marvel has shown outside of talk about a Captain Marvel movie (for those of you who are gearing up for scathing remarks about mental disabilities, Captain Marvel is a woman as well)

Seriously tho don't kid yourself you would absolutely go watch a Marisa Tomei Aunt May movie

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I would have had to slightly change the wording to respond to the Silver Sable rumor. Like something about how I'm sure Marvel will talk them out of it and tell them what a mistake it would be to have a female lead or something. I don't know exactly what I would have landed on, but it's not like it's hard to use a hacky joke to take a cheap shot at Marvel.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I would have had to slightly change the wording to respond to the Silver Sable rumor. Like something about how I'm sure Marvel will talk them out of it and tell them what a mistake it would be to have a female lead or something. I don't know exactly what I would have landed on, but it's not like it's hard to use a hacky joke to take a cheap shot at Marvel.

Yeah that would've been better, it's just as worded it didn't work at all. Good effort tho, B-

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

NikkolasKing posted:

So the two people I see get poo poo on consistently by comic book/movie/comic book movie fans are Zack Snyder and Bryan Singer. I got nothing on Snyder as the only film I've seen of his at this point is 300, which I hated but which was based on garbage to begin with so it's hardly his fault. Singer has always gotten crap for the X-Men movies, to the point I remember when First Class came out a lot of people called it the first "genuinely good X-Men movie." That kind of irked me since I like X1 and 2. They could have been better but saying they were outright bad? I don't agree.

But anyway, in my binge buying next month I plan to get three Snyder films in Watchmen, Man of Steel and Batman v Superman and one Singer film in Days of Future Past. I'm probably most excited for DOFP 'cuz I love the X-Men but all the talk about BvS has me intrigued by it as well. Watchmen I dunno about, I'll watch it after I read the graphic novel.

I'm just wondering who this thread prefers between Snyder and Singer?

Snyder is extremely my poo poo first and foremost because his movies are a visual delight. Singer is too flat at camera work, or his cinematographer is, and it makes the movies a drag. X1 and X2 are the only movies of his that I've really liked and that's because of their relatively tight plotting and because the minority oppression allegory works best in those.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Yeah that would've been better, it's just as worded it didn't work at all. Good effort tho, B-

Christ, Sir Kodiak was just joking about the MCU dragging its rear end to make a female-led superhero movie. The joke wasn't anything special, but it's hardly the first time the MCU was criticized for taking its sweet time to finally make a movie not starring a straight white man.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

But I mean it's not like this has been a rumor since the email hack or anything, it's exactly as ludicrous as the idea of an Aunt May movie, you're right, and also not an rear end in a top hat
Literally The Worst?

Basing the validity of anything on rumors is tremendously telling. Sony turning over every Spider-Man rock to see what in the world could make money means nothing, proves only that female characters exist within Spider-Man stories. They have ideas for all of them, and the men too. #Whoa

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Equeen posted:

Christ, Sir Kodiak was just joking about the MCU dragging its rear end to make a female-led superhero movie. The joke wasn't anything special, but it's hardly the first time the MCU was criticized for taking its sweet time to finally make a movie not starring a straight white man.

Thanks for reiterating the thing I was literally quoting in that post, never would have guessed

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Would Aunt May have powers in her solo movie? Golden Oldie baking powers or just borrow the Iron Man suit or what?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just want a movie about Marisa Tomei bein sassy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Aunt May movie would've been Sally Fields Aunt May.

So no sass

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

The Aunt May movie would've been Sally Fields Aunt May.

So no sass

But now it's Marisa Tomei

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh I know. I'm just glad the movie didn't happen then. If it happens now, I will watch it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Aunt May movie was going to have her be a spy and set in the past. So, we were sadly not going to see Sally Fields kill anyone if it got made. They were going to cast a younger actress.

I still wish Sony had a chance to make their Spiderman universe, just so I could see what the minds behind this email would have produced:

quote:

Spidey thought

Hey Amy - just a couple of rando thoughts from 35,000 LAX-JFK:

- A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post “N.B.D.” on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the “humble brag”.....wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way....he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense....and it’s all NBD to him, of course.

- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it

- Snapchat just launched a “story” functionality, which is sort of “day in the life of me” told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey’s Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

This is the email of a man in charge of a major film franchise who made more in 2014 than everyone in this forum combined.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 26, 2016

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Wait, that email is real? It isn't a joke?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A Spidey Snap-Chat story is kinda neat marketing. It would've been expensive as hell though. They could've introduced some really low level villains in that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

A Spidey Snap-Chat story is kinda neat marketing. It would've been expensive as hell though. They could've introduced some really low level villains in that.

It's not clear to me that he doesn't mean using that idea in-universe, since there's not a chance in hell that Sony wouldn't make a real-world Spider-Man Snapchat available to literally anybody who wanted in.

It's just a guy making it clear that his only exposure to young people is the most superficial of Internet trends. It's like someone in the 80s whose entire conception of teenagers is based exclusively on MTV.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just to gently remind people who have high hopes, or even moderate hopes, of the next Spider-Man movie being good- that man is still the one who has final say over everything.

The gently caress wad who made the worst choices for Fox got brought over and is in charge of the movie from Sony's POV.

Sony has final say over the movie.

And the creative team of the movie is utter dogshit. You can have as many amazing actors as you like, if the people who are MAKING the film are utterly dreadful, you're going to have a God awful movie.

Marvel and more importantly RDJ might be able to parlay that into an acceptable if bland film, but I wouldn't expect any more than that. Sony is just the worst film company of the big names, whose least hated film in the last 5 years might be Goosebumps.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait who is Silver Sable and why does Sony want her in a movie, aside from the alliteration you would get from a headline like Sony's Spiderman versus Silver Sable ?

Is she Aunt May's superhero identity?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Burkion posted:

Just to gently remind people who have high hopes, or even moderate hopes, of the next Spider-Man movie being good- that man is still the one who has final say over everything.

The gently caress wad who made the worst choices for Fox got brought over and is in charge of the movie from Sony's POV.

Sony has final say over the movie.

And the creative team of the movie is utter dogshit. You can have as many amazing actors as you like, if the people who are MAKING the film are utterly dreadful, you're going to have a God awful movie.

Marvel and more importantly RDJ might be able to parlay that into an acceptable if bland film, but I wouldn't expect any more than that. Sony is just the worst film company of the big names, whose least hated film in the last 5 years might be Goosebumps.

What do you got against Jon Watts?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait who is Silver Sable and why does Sony want her in a movie, aside from the alliteration you would get from a headline like Sony's Spiderman versus Silver Sable ?

Is she Aunt May's superhero identity?

It changes from time to time and iteration to iteration but basically she is Spider-Man's Black Widow, only still a foreign agent, usually.

That's pretty much it.

One time she was a mobster's daughter, some times she works for the US, but usually she's just a C list Black Widow who isn't Russian. She's just a fairly long running support character of the Spidey Books, but in an indirect way. I think her biggest role in recent history was when she teamed up with Spidey to stop Dock Ock from igniting the atmosphere.

Hat Thoughts posted:

What do you got against Jon Watts?

Nothing personally, just that I think it's going to take a director of higher caliber than "The Guy Who Directed Cop Car" to not be crushed under the combined weight of Sony and Disney telling him what the gently caress to do.

Could be worse.

Could be his writing staff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's not clear to me that he doesn't mean using that idea in-universe, since there's not a chance in hell that Sony wouldn't make a real-world Spider-Man Snapchat available to literally anybody who wanted in.

It's just a guy making it clear that his only exposure to young people is the most superficial of Internet trends. It's like someone in the 80s whose entire conception of teenagers is based exclusively on MTV.

Oh yeah, the guy's out of touch. But as a MILLENNIALLLL, I would be stoked to open up a Spidey Snapchat. Just 5 or 6 20 second clips per day for a week and you're golden. It would be prime marketing.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
As an aside, what do you think the odds of us getting a Thunderbolts movie post-Suicide Squad?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vicissitude posted:

As an aside, what do you think the odds of us getting a Thunderbolts movie post-Suicide Squad?

I'd say it's highly likely.

It won't be until after Infinity War, but I could easily see Marvel going with Thunderbolts and New Avengers and wanting to have a movie of a battle between those groups.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope they go with either the team that had Bullseye, Venom and Ares or the one with Red Hulk, Leader, Agent Venom and Ghost Rider.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vicissitude posted:

I'm more interested in the odds of every print of suicide squad exploding right now

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

\Nothing personally, just that I think it's going to take a director of higher caliber than "The Guy Who Directed Cop Car" to not be crushed under the combined weight of Sony and Disney telling him what the gently caress to do.

this idea that the studios are constnatly breathing down everyone's neck telling them to how shoot the movie is super weird considering studio interference is more likely to show up in the script/editing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Aunt May movie was going to have her be a spy and set in the past. So, we were sadly not going to see Sally Fields kill anyone if it got made. They were going to cast a younger actress.

I still wish Sony had a chance to make their Spiderman universe, just so I could see what the minds behind this email would have produced:

This is the email of a man in charge of a major film franchise who made more in 2014 than everyone in this forum combined.

That EDM stuff pretty much did end up in ASM2 with Electro, too.

• Locked thread