Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

How's the newest volume of New Warriors? I'm really digging Nova so far and I'd like to see him hanging with Justice/newly reformed Speedball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

How's the newest volume of New Warriors? I'm really digging Nova so far and I'd like to see him hanging with Justice/newly reformed Speedball.

It was good. Kaine and Aracely are the best.

I miss them.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Toxxupation posted:

If you haven't you should absolutely read the Scarlet Spider series that leads into it, it seems like your thing

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Threep posted:

If you haven't you should absolutely read the Scarlet Spider series that leads into it, it seems like your thing

The 25 issue series? Okay.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Just reread Civil War 1, but for the first time I have access to Frontline too. Adding that with the main series turned it into even more of a colossal poo poo pile. Everything that Frontline reveals makes me wonder how can you try and even make Mr Fantastic, Iron Man, or the other pro side heroes again? They are clearly villains. Using Norman Osborn to try almost start a war with Atlanteans? Murder or nearly murder your own friends? The last issue with the Captain America and Iron Man scenes had me laughing out loud. "No really! Look Captain America is the bad guy for standing up for constitutional rights! Iron Man was the good guy because he planned this all out. He is a martyr." It really is a heavy handed commentary on the post 9/11 policing and profiling with a dash of conspiracy. I did find it striking that the story relates to the current gun control debate with wanting to violate further undue process.

And why was Osborn allowed back out of the cage after the assassination attempt? Nothing makes sense. The entire Frontline series just muddies Civil War 1 and the after series.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
A lot of writers really dropped the ball with the "morally gray" idea and just made the pro-registration side straight up super nazis. But the ironic thing is, Frontlines specifically was written by a pro-registration writer. I don't remember who it was but going by what happens in it I'm going to guess...Tom Clancy?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

A lot of writers really dropped the ball with the "morally gray" idea and just made the pro-registration side straight up super nazis. But the ironic thing is, Frontlines specifically was written by a pro-registration writer. I don't remember who it was but going by what happens in it I'm going to guess...Tom Clancy?

Paul Jenkins. He was a pro-registration writer? lol he starts the series as a "this thing is bad" and ends it with "well it is bad, but now we are safer*"

And since when is the Daily Bugle a right wing rag? I'm still reading through the original Amazing Spider-Man run, but besides the crazed hatred for Spider-Man Jonah is pretty liberal and runs the Bugle as a Leftist paper. When did the transition happen?

*maybe. we don't know what the future will bring and everything is extra scary now.

Edit: I want to add that Frontline the series concept is in fact a very good idea that should be done for every event comic.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 25, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The idea was supposed to be that they were making hard, practical decisions, realpolitik and all, but as presented they don't come across as any better than, say, Ra's al Ghul wanting to murder 95% of humanity for the good of the planet.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Where is it explained how Peter Quill/Thanos got out of the Cancerverse but Richard Ryder/Drax didn't (or died, I guess?) That's actually been one of my more pressing unsolved questions, how exactly Thanos got from the Cancerverse to the start of Infinity where he's got his whole squad of flunkies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

Where is it explained how Peter Quill/Thanos got out of the Cancerverse but Richard Ryder/Drax didn't (or died, I guess?) That's actually been one of my more pressing unsolved questions, how exactly Thanos got from the Cancerverse to the start of Infinity where he's got his whole squad of flunkies.

The previous GotG series, issues 18-20.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Just make up your own reason, it's better than the poo poo Bendis finally gave us.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

14 issues in and the 2002 Marvel Knights Captain America is not very good. Does it stay depressing and dumb?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

14 issues in and the 2002 Marvel Knights Captain America is not very good. Does it stay depressing and dumb?

That series is pretty bad from beginning to end. It wasn't originally supposed to go that way but then 9/11 happened and they tossed their original idea out the window.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

That series is pretty bad from beginning to end. It wasn't originally supposed to go that way but then 9/11 happened and they tossed their original idea out the window.

I thought something was up. The first arc takes a whiplash inducing tone change. Also everyone is evil, Captain America, and your entire life is a lie. Might as well make him a deep cover hydra agent too while we are at it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Their original plan was just another Red Skull story, JRN laid it our at a convention panel in August of 2001 and it was just going to be standard super hero fair. But then with 9/11 they felt that Cap should be tackling terrorism directly. Sadly the finished product was pretty lackluster.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

:lol: Issue 14. Captain America can not kill because his powers altered his morality.

Rhyno posted:

Their original plan was just another Red Skull story, JRN laid it our at a convention panel in August of 2001 and it was just going to be standard super hero fair. But then with 9/11 they felt that Cap should be tackling terrorism directly. Sadly the finished product was pretty lackluster.

Would have been better than this disaster. I'll finish it because why not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

:lol: Issue 14. Captain America can not kill because his powers altered his morality.

Would have been better than this disaster. I'll finish it because why not.

Like I said, the entire run is bad, all the way til the end. Thankfully we got Brubaker after that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, the series isn't that great. I'm a pretty huge Cap fan and it might be least favorite period of his not involving Rob Liefeld. It sure looks nice though. It's my favorite work by Cassaday probably. Then Chuck Austen and Jae Lee take over and it's hard to read and look at. And then later they get Bachalo on art and while I love his style for some thing it does not work for Cap.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
As bad as Liefeld's Cap was, I'm gonna stick up for his replacing the A with a falcon, which pissed people off so much back then. It looks way better and even if the rest was a screaming dumpster fire Marvel should have kept that, and also gotten rid of the wings at the same time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

As bad as Liefeld's Cap was, I'm gonna stick up for his replacing the A with a falcon, which pissed people off so much back then. It looks way better and even if the rest was a screaming dumpster fire Marvel should have kept that, and also gotten rid of the wings at the same time.

Now you're doing this on purpose.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The only hero who looks good with a letter on his costume is Superman. An eagle makes for a better emblem than a dude waling around with a big A for America on his forehead. Liefeld's anatomy may be atrocious but he's got a good imagination for design.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Man, I really liked the post 9-11 Captain America. At least those first six issues with Cassaday on art.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Man, I really liked the post 9-11 Captain America. At least those first six issues with Cassaday on art.

The art is great, the story is poo poo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah the art is great. Cassaday draws a beautiful looking Cap. Everyone one of those early covers could and should be a poster.

Especially this one:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There is nothing wrong with the Cassady Art. Jae Lee is awful though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

There is nothing wrong with the Cassady Art. Jae Lee is awful though.

I understand he has an audience and people like different styles, and I can read a book with his art if the writing is good enough (The Paul Jenkins run on Inhumans for example) but man I just do not find that style appealing at all.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

He is on my list of artist that I do not enjoy but lots do. Joining the illustrious ranks of Scott Kollins and Howard Chaykin.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The one that I don't care for that seems to make people question my sanity is Gary Frank.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

The one that I don't care for that seems to make people question my sanity is Gary Frank.

It's the weird mouths isn't it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gary Frank used to be excellent, the change happened with Midnight Nation. He drew the bad guys with weird as poo poo mouths and it stuck to his style ever since.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I can't really place what it is. I used to read Superman religiously and his stuff around the New Krypton era never sat well with me even though I really dug those stories. I look back fondly on those comics but not because of the art.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I can't really place what it is. I used to read Superman religiously and his stuff around the New Krypton era never sat well with me even though I really dug those stories. I look back fondly on those comics but not because of the art.

Oh that's long past when his style changed. His glory days were seated in his Hulk run.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That New 52 Shazam though..

Pretty sure at least half of Cassaday's Cap covers have been made into posters. The one posted above, the hand, and FIGHT TERROR.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

X-O posted:

The best description of Frank Gary's art that sums up my difficulty with it is that he draws everyone as if they have been bitten and are slowly turning into a zombie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bachalo on Captain America sounds like a really weird fit unless it's some really weird Cap story. I tend to classify his work along with Mignola in that it's really good, but only really fits certain kinds of stories.

And yeah, Frank's mouths do make the whole thing seem kinda disconcerting. I don't think I've ever realized that until it was just pointed out.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The above Cap Cover was also totally turned into a Marvel Selects figure, too.

Heroes Reborn Cap's eagle should've been given to USAgent.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Bachalo on Captain America sounds like a really weird fit unless it's some really weird Cap story. I tend to classify his work along with Mignola in that it's really good, but only really fits certain kinds of stories.

And yeah, Frank's mouths do make the whole thing seem kinda disconcerting. I don't think I've ever realized that until it was just pointed out.

Mignola can work really well in Batman as his two elseworlds are fucken awesome and his design for mister freeze in TAS

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Was the third Scarecrow BTAS design Mignola's? It looks a lot like his style.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Mignola can work really well in Batman as his two elseworlds are fucken awesome and his design for mister freeze in TAS
Batman can be so easily fit into so many types of stories (street-level crime, horror, standard superheroics, etc.), and Mignola's work on him has definitely trended towards the weird ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Little Mac posted:

Heroes Reborn Cap's eagle should've been given to USAgent.

USAgent sucks, though. I mean, so did Heroes Reborn Cap, but my whole point is that it shouldn't have been wasted.

• Locked thread