Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Make confit potatoes in beef fat and serve them with steak.

Sear your steaks in red dered beef fat

Add shallots and herbs and lemon zest and whip it into a beef fat spread for toast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Gerblyn posted:

Could you link the recipe? I was planning on trying to make them for the first time this weekend, and I'm not really sure where to start beyond googling "Pierogi Recipe"

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/polish-pierogies-recipe.html

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Great, thanks!

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I'd like to try my hand at making my own bbq sauce from more or less scratch, if you don't consider ketchup or something cheating. Is there any kinda basic guide or do I just add poo poo and cook it till i like how it tastes?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captainsalami posted:

I'd like to try my hand at making my own bbq sauce from more or less scratch, if you don't consider ketchup or something cheating. Is there any kinda basic guide or do I just add poo poo and cook it till i like how it tastes?

I've done it starting with crushed tomatoes, and also with ketchup. I consider ketchup cheating, but it hasn't stopped me. You can just play around with ingredients, but this recipe is a pretty good starting point. Put this together, then adjust to taste. I would wait until the end to put in liquid smoke as it's pretty volatile in my experience.

1 cup ketchup
6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
3 tablespoons yellow onions, finely minced
4 teaspoons hickory liquid smoke
1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1⁄2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon table salt

Sweat the onions, then add everything but the liquid smoke and simmer until thick. Add liquid smoke.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Pierogi chat:

Try and find a recipe that uses a gelatinized dough.. aka boiling water is added to the flour prior to kneading/rolling.

Source: Polish grandma

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Captainsalami posted:

You might want to ask in the slow-smoked meat thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

Or not. You might get blown out with tons of opinions on whether or not BBQ sauce is even a valid addition and you should only use a dry rub like God intended, regional BBQ ingredient arguments, or whatever. Probably some good info will come of it, though. Godspeed!

Turkeybone posted:

Pierogi chat:

Try and find a recipe that uses a gelatinized dough.. aka boiling water is added to the flour prior to kneading/rolling.

Source: Polish grandma

I will definitely have to try that. Pennsylvania Polish Grammy's recipe is 1C flour, 1 egg white, a little salt and water (no info on filling quantities or cooking times). Filling is potato, cheese, salt, and pepper. Egg white is supposed to make a softer dough than whole egg. Also day-old chilled mashed potato is preferred to fresh, probably for the same reasons that leftover rice makes better fried rice. In my experience, pierogi are like egg rolls, I never made them just for one dinner but picked a Saturday morning to make them with a neighbor and freeze tons of them. The gelatinized dough trick should hopefully help with sealing, mine always leaked.

Grammy also made an amazing lokshi that she called 'rags', basically a potato crepe. The closest recipe I could find to what I remember is here: http://www.grouprecipes.com/20798/polish-lokshi-stove-rags.html

e: Mom says we omit the sugar in the rags and cook them in butter.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 25, 2016

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
I have a big bag of dried jalapenos and I have no idea what to do with them. Any suggestions?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Going back to a few days ago: I bought an oven thermometer and my oven is apparently perpetually 25 to 50 degrees below what it says it is holy poo poo

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Is your oven clean? Dirt building up inside the oven can interfere with the temperature sensors and make them less accurate.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I just checked my oven, too.

At 350°F, it stayed within about 8 degrees (though it took much longer to preheat than the preheat cycle indicated, about 15-20 minutes total). It tended to read 340-342°F

At 400°, it stayed at 350° and basically didn't move

At 450°, it slowly climbed to 400-405°

I'm not sure what sort of problem this is, since the discrepancy isn't constant across multiple settings.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 25, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
The wild variance is normal and why you need to trust the cheapie thermometer on the rack and not the oven. I gave up trying to gauge mine because the difference between 450 from off and 450 from 400 was just amazing.

If you have the time, keep a pizza stone on a rack below your cooking rack during the preheat and give it 30 minutes to come to the oven's temperature. Let it stay at that temperature and it will act as a heat capacitor, buffering changes in temperature when you open the door and generally maintaining a more even temperature.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Captainsalami posted:

mr_cramalldees posted:

As promised, here is how I do BBQ sauce.

Cover the bottom of a sauce pan with canola oil and put the pan over medium-high heat. Chop up 1 yellow onion and throw it in the pan. Once you throw those guys in, stir occasionally until the onions start to turn yellow in the pan ( 5 minutes or so ). While the onion is going, I chop like 4 cloves of garlic. Once the onions are good I throw in the garlic.

Leave that stuff cooking and go grab 1 cup of regular heinz ketchup, 1 cup of sriracha ketchup (if you don't have this locally available it's literally 50% sriracha, 50% ketchup). Put the ketchup in the pot with a little more than a half cup of water. Bring all of that stuff to a boil, then reduce heat to low.

While that is simmering you're going to get your seasoning ready. I combined the following dry spices and dumped them in:

1/4 Cup Chili Powder
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Paprika
?? Sea Salt & Black Pepper

Then I added 2/3 Cup of dijon mustard, 2/3 Cup of apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp of worchestershire, 2 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp of butter.

I stirred it all up until it started to resemble BBQ sauce.

Then I put it all into this fucker.

I set the speed to 3 (the fastest one) until my wife got annoyed, and that's when I knew it was ready.

Turkey baster into these $.50 bottles I got at Walmart. The above steps produce enough BBQ sauce to fill up 3 of them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Ferret King posted:

I just checked my oven, too.

At 350°F, it stayed within about 8 degrees (though it took much longer to preheat than the preheat cycle indicated, about 15-20 minutes total). It tended to read 340-342°F

At 400°, it stayed at 350° and basically didn't move

At 450°, it slowly climbed to 400-405°

I'm not sure what sort of problem this is, since the discrepancy isn't constant across multiple settings.

Any chance you have a cracked element? That can make your oven struggle to get to temp. Does your element have any spots that get brighter than others?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I forgot to mention it's a gas oven.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Then it's probably not the element.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Then it's probably not the element.

Lol

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

How do you tell if red bananas are ripe?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I already asked in the Chinese thread, which appears to be dead, so I'll ask here too:

I got bitter melons. The vines seem to be producing about that much a week---around a half a kilo/one pound. Which is more than I really need for the occasional stir fried beef with bitter melon. Any suggestions for cool/interesting/whatever uses for a surplus of 'em? I'm thinking pickles, but I don't have a recipe or anything, I'm just planning on playing it by ear. So a bitchin' pickled bitter melon recipe would be cool. Or some other suggestions on methods of preservation---I've always just had them fresh.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I made a spur of the moment decision and picked up a tub of some fantastic fresh-made mango salsa. Now sure, I could just eat a whole bag of tortilla chips with it but I'd like some other recipe ideas for using it up. Suggestions?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Cyril Sneer posted:

I made a spur of the moment decision and picked up a tub of some fantastic fresh-made mango salsa. Now sure, I could just eat a whole bag of tortilla chips with it but I'd like some other recipe ideas for using it up. Suggestions?

Fish tacos? Or even not tacos but just grilled mahi mahi or other white fish would be great. Also as a side to teriyaki pork?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Cyril Sneer posted:

Maybe use it as a marinade? Or add it to Filipino pork adobo or any sort of grilled or fried meats.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Captainsalami posted:

I made bbq sauce from the linked recipe in this post and it turned out really good. The link has detailed steps and good ideas on how to tweak the recipe for the flavor notes you want.

quote:

I wanted to make ribs but figured I'd use the second rack on my WSM and speed up the break in. So I made some chicken pops on the bottom. They finished first in 2.5 hours.

Here are the finished ribs

I sprayed them with olive oil and sprinkled that all american rub on, then basted them with Homemade BBQ and let them cook another 1/2 hour after they had pulled back some and passed the bend test.

I used this for a sauce http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/kansas_city_classic_BBQ_sauce.html and added habenero tabasco and cayanne to half the recipe so I had a spicy version for my wife.

They were a tiny bit tough even after around 6 hours on the smoker. But I'm still breaking it in and it won't seem to hold temps below 275. If I adjust the vents and it'sholding steady at 225 it dies out after 30 minutes and drops below 200. if I open them up it shoots to 275. Even with a full waterpan. I'm hoping once I get a layer of crud on the inside it'll stabilize closer to 225. I'm about 1/2 way to full nasty on the inside walls. They were also in my freezer for a year and one rack was on a foam tray while frozen and probably was a bit freezer burned.

The ribs/sauce tasted great, here with some baked cauliflower thing my wife made and I had to pull the ribs based on it's schedule.

I left all the onion and garlic in and just used a stick blender on the sauce so I could put it in bottles.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 25, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

my bbq sauce involves bourbon and chipotle :yum:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Maybe use it as a marinade? Or add it to Filipino pork adobo or any sort of grilled or fried meats.

Okay, I understand what a marinate is, but would you bake it with the fish, and/or add it as a topping afterwards?

I'm still just learning this whole cooking thing!

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
As it's Salsa there's a chance that there's a bunch of acid in it, guessing at lime juice. Marinading fish in it wouldn't be good. I'd pan fry / grill a fish (red snapper for preference) and use the salsa as a garnish. Might also be good with pork tacos.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Since I stopped using stones years ago, and my pizza steel was stolen, I can no longer make pizza. The crust is always soggy in the middle and I'm very unhappy. Note that this is happening with aluminium sheet and expanded steel pizza pans.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Got a steel mill around you? I had my steel made for $45

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

You might be able to intercept a piece of scrap at a recycling facility, too. There are also vendors online that generally sell to industry but likely also sell privately.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Teach me how to curry. I'm trying to kick off a healthier diet and it seems like a good option. I've had it twice, what I remember is it being a lot of vegetables in a heavily spiced liquid and rice.

I also need to work on my spice and sauce knowledge. I usually under season things even when I think I'm putting a lot. One of those inforgraph spice mixture charts would be handy

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

goodness posted:

Teach me how to curry. I'm trying to kick off a healthier diet and it seems like a good option. I've had it twice, what I remember is it being a lot of vegetables in a heavily spiced liquid and rice.

I also need to work on my spice and sauce knowledge. I usually under season things even when I think I'm putting a lot. One of those inforgraph spice mixture charts would be handy

There are many methods and recipes, but I don't think of it as a really healthy dish because rice is a lot of calories.

Here are a few basic things you should know, you need to brown the spices, this can either be done by frying them in oil or by coating meat in the spices and then browning it in oil. My usual procedure is to take skinless, boneless chicken thighs, toss them in the spices and brown them in oil. After that I let them cool a bit and roughly chop them. Next I cook any vegetables other than onion or peppers that I want in the curry, carrots, parsnips, radish, broccoli, cauliflower and baby corn are all things I have used successfully, you want them cooked enough that everything will finish cooking during the simmering stage that will happen later on. Then I take diced onions, diced peppers, grated ginger and grated garlic and cook that until the onion and pepper goes soft, then the chicken goes back in along with the vegetables and other stuff like chickpeas or nuts. Next I add some coconut milk and sometimes crushed tomatoes and let the mixture simmer on very low heat for a half an hour or so and serve over rice.

Unfortunately I can't give you tips on spices, I just sort of know what spices work together and how they will work via instinct so it's hard to explain how or why certain things go together and why others don't. I would just start with a basic, premixed curry spice, use quite a lot, when I make curry for a large pot I will use 4-6 tablespoons of spices, you want enough to completely coat the meat, sort of like you would if you were doing a dry rub.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

goodness posted:

You're right that Indian curries are an easy way to eat veggie and have lots of tasty food to experiment with.

Start simple and get a feel for what works together by following recipes. My partner cooks a lot of curry these days and started off by using the Veg Recipes of India website. I did a quick search there and found a fairly simple chickpea curry that you could try. As you make more dishes you'll see the spices that crop up most frequently, and which spices go together. This is also an easy curry to make - sweet potato and chickpea.

Another "how do I use this?" question - I picked up some Georgia peach and vidalia onion hot sauce a while ago but am not sure what to eat it with. Any ideas?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah. I always had good luck with the steel. I guess there's just no other way at home. :sigh:

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!
I'm trying to prepare a gift of various fruit powders for a friend of mine, using a dehydrator to extract moisture from the fruit so that I can pulverize it later. Will standard dehydration remove enough moisture to accomplish this, or should I have opted for freeze drying instead? I'm envisioning a scenario where I remove the fruits from the dehydrator and they're gummy, like those apple rings you find in Whole Foods sometimes.

If it matters, the fruits I'll be using are:

Strawberries
Blueberries
Peaches
Apples (and cinnamon)
Bananas
Wild card (probably either cherries or raspberries)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You can make completely dry apple and banana chips or mushroom slices in a standard oven and then grind those into a powder, but I am not sure if that's an option with berries.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TwoSheds posted:

I'm trying to prepare a gift of various fruit powders for a friend of mine, using a dehydrator to extract moisture from the fruit so that I can pulverize it later. Will standard dehydration remove enough moisture to accomplish this, or should I have opted for freeze drying instead? I'm envisioning a scenario where I remove the fruits from the dehydrator and they're gummy, like those apple rings you find in Whole Foods sometimes.

If it matters, the fruits I'll be using are:

Strawberries
Blueberries
Peaches
Apples (and cinnamon)
Bananas
Wild card (probably either cherries or raspberries)

I would puree the fruits until completely smooth and then spread the paste on parchment for dehydration, it will dry faster and more completely that way and be easier to break down into a powder afterwards, for some of the fruits you might need to actually add water to get them to go completely smooth instead of gumming up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I think you're gonna end up with fruit leather instead. I would opt for freeze drying if possible.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I tried making bread using this recipe but the bottom burned both times. I only have some ordinary baking sheets and a baking steel, I used the steel both times. Is it just getting way too hot?

Also, if anyone has a good beginner recipe for crusty french bread or baguettes that would be great.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

Suspect Bucket posted:

I think you're gonna end up with fruit leather instead. I would opt for freeze drying if possible.

I suspect you might be right. I was looking into freeze drying, but the closest thing I have to the required equipment is a vacuum-sealing Foodsaver. I also don't have a method of lowering the temperatures to required levels, so that's out. I may just have to buy some freeze-dried fruits if I can find them in bulk for a reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TwoSheds posted:

I suspect you might be right. I was looking into freeze drying, but the closest thing I have to the required equipment is a vacuum-sealing Foodsaver. I also don't have a method of lowering the temperatures to required levels, so that's out. I may just have to buy some freeze-dried fruits if I can find them in bulk for a reasonable price.

While not bulk, Target's "Simply Balanced" house brand is reasonably cheap and frequently on sale. And if you haven't done it before, even sending one bag through the blender will yield a pretty substantial amount of very concentrated powdered fruit. Jumping up to bulk minimums may be excessive unless your friend really likes fruit.

For other options, if you live in an area with a sizable Mormon population, ask one where they buy their doomsday closet food. Here in the Southwest US it's Honeyville (which does also ship), but there are equivalents all over and they specialize in pretty affordable dry goods and freeze-dried foods.