Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Velkest posted:

lol at people proving my point.

what point's that, dearie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

khwarezm posted:

(notracist)

Wow. Thank God they got out of there before they got bit by the political correctness shark.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flubby posted:

Wow. Thank God they got out of there before they got bit by the political correctness shark.

i like the part with the muslim trying to rape the figurehead of the ship.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
i am the waterspout labeled "economic failure"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the brussels bureaucrat seems to be some weird man owl hybrid

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

that cartoon really is something. it's amazing even for ben garrison, infamous for making that type of cartoon over and over again. he really outdid himself with the number of labels.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
its me

im the anchor labelled DEBT

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i'm the women in hijabs peeking out of the boat

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

the brussels bureaucrat seems to be some weird man owl hybrid

It's a clown

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKosd0xJadE

I mean I know this is the same kinda sifting through cuts bullshit that making fun of dumb people not understanding what suffrage is took advantage of but it's still p funny.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 26, 2016

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

Brannock posted:

It's a clown

nerdlinger needs to put on his god drat spectacles

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Nothing like a politics thread to bring out everyone's stupid hs debate team habits.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

LethalGeek posted:

Nothing like a politics thread to bring out everyone's stupid hs debate team habits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmO-ziHU_D8&t=69s

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Velkest posted:

lol at people proving my point.

Counterpoint: You're trying to smugly "win" in a thread sandwiched between [CYOA] Let's Play - The Wizard of Warlock Tower and what do you call a monopoly on farts. That's kind of like gloating about how you "won" a soccer match against stray dogs in the park. Go back to DnD.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Lichy posted:

wow an entire 1500 people polled for this table such representation very power
hey what's it like to know jack poo poo about how polls work?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I feel like it's kind of noticeable that the typical crowd gets really really upset with people blowing up the y axis to make misleading graphs but all the talk of the hour over the value of the pound has been made on a graph that is literally about +/- 5 cents over the last couple years.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
will i still be able to buy prawn walkers chips in the US? this affects what i think of this whole brexit foofaraw greatly

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

khwarezm posted:

(notracist)

Yo does Ben Garrison browse /pol/ or something?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Yo does Ben Garrison browse /pol/ or something?

lol

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Lowest point in 30 years! *shows oscillating graph with end value a percent or two lower than average value for the last decade*

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
you see it's okay when we do it because we're misleading people for a good cause

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
it takes a certain kind of poo poo headed fucker to massage the numbers to fit the particular narrative that the sky is falling, which it isnt, which could then lead to the sky actually falling

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ArbitraryC posted:

you see it's okay when we do it because we're misleading people for a good cause

Wait a minute.... isn't that what the fascists say too? :monocle:

Maybe... all freedom is a lie and any time humans gather in groups of 2 or greater there will be an inequality of power?

Sorry. I turned 19 yesterday and smoked my first joint while reading Matt Taibbi for the first time.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Lowest point in 30 years! *shows oscillating graph with end value a percent or two lower than average value for the last decade*

Market volatility is a good thing according to ArbitraryC

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like it's kind of noticeable that the typical crowd gets really really upset with people blowing up the y axis to make misleading graphs but all the talk of the hour over the value of the pound has been made on a graph that is literally about +/- 5 cents over the last couple years.
Can't really accuse them of dishonesty for that, I don't feel. Stock prices and currency exchange rates are essentially always shown with truncated y-axes, to emphasize trends.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

Can't really accuse them of dishonesty for that, I don't feel. Stock prices and currency exchange rates are essentially always shown with truncated y-axes, to emphasize trends.

Because they're not supposed to move that much

It's not subtle manipulation, it's to show something is well outside of the norm

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Because they're not supposed to move that much

It's not subtle manipulation, it's to show something is well outside of the norm
I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or disagreeing.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

the FTSE is within 100 points of where it was before the referendum and still higher than it has been at points this year. what is your measure of market volatility? this seems like a correction at worst

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
a very slight devaluation of the pound is not "market volatility"

Moltke
May 13, 2009
liberals warned us that brexit would cause economic calamity, so the data suggesting capital flight must just be a liberal conspiracy. when the fallout is clearly and undeniably visible, well thats just those looney liberals wishing apocalypse into existence

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

khwarezm posted:

There is a leftist argument against the EU that I was sympathetic to at the start of the campaign, but over the course of the last year its abundantly clear 99% of people who want to leave are viewing the issue through the lens of 'I hate the Muslims and Romanians/Make England great again!'. Its notable Greece practically never came up at all among the leave campaign.

if a racist told you *not* to jump off a bridge, would you do it just to spite them?

ArbitraryC posted:

never mind the difference between a high-value currency and a strong economy, which are not even close to the same thing

Oh no, the pound is down! We are doomed to suffer higher employment in export-sector jobs, easier repayment of our pound-denominated foreign debt, and a better competitive environment for domestic products vs foreign goods! But the BMWs, luxury imports, and fancy vacations will be less affordable, that sounds like it will be a terrible hardship.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Kitchner posted:

Lol at the idiot racists in this thread who basically are using it to laugh at people be a use they even chased out of DnD for being unable to rationally even justify their views.

GBS is being negatively effected by these immigrants posters from DnD, we should vote for a GBSexit

sorry, what, you said something about racists, which havent existed since 1965 and then DnD which sucks and then GBS which is cool and good? lol.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Moltke posted:

liberals warned us that brexit would cause economic calamity, so the data suggesting capital flight must just be a liberal conspiracy. when the fallout is clearly and undeniably visible, well thats just those looney liberals wishing apocalypse into existence

if someone tells you that having your national currency be super valuable is always a good thing and that loss of said value is bad for "the economy", that person is not a liberal or a conservative, they're a tool of the rich

people who benefit from a "strong" pound = people who have lots and lots of pounds

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Lol you read his posts

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Strudel Man posted:

as it's entirely outside the area of my expertise I honestly can not comment on how big of a deal +/- a couple cents on the dollar is in the wake of an event like this, I'm just trying to say that I've seen a whole ton of leftwing media that usually criticizes graphs that use blown up axis' to make it look like something has gone from a big number to zero despite only changing a few percentile as 'leading' that those same people are doing literally the exact same thing with the current value of the pound, like I went and looked up a legit graph on the pound's stability and the current perturbation is only vaguely outside the usual fluctuation for the last 30 years, it's a low among pretty common local minimums but not super outside the range of what's been seen. It's certainly not evidence in itself that the sky is falling and I feel it's particularly scummy dishonesty among people who usually criticize the style of numeric representation.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

i'm pumped for Texit

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

if someone tells you that having your national currency be super valuable is always a good thing and that loss of said value is bad for "the economy", that person is not a liberal or a conservative, they're a tool of the rich

people who benefit from a "strong" pound = people who have lots and lots of pounds

you're failing to understand the significance of what it means when the value of your currency suddenly drops to a 30 year low overnight. all of those "people who have lots and lots of pounds" are moving them out of the UK, and the resulting credit crunch will have a major negative impact on the british economy. hundreds of major corps are already talking about shifting their offices out of the UK resulting in the loss of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of jobs-- you can't possibly believe this is a good thing no matter your political ideology

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Did you know that the state of New York is not in the EU? Millions of jobs will be lost in Manhattan alone.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

the FTSE is within 100 points of where it was before the referendum and still higher than it has been at points this year. what is your measure of market volatility? this seems like a correction at worst

The VDAX and VSTOXX went nuts as the fallout from this took place, it's pretty safe to say there will be a lot of volatility due to the uncertainty over how the UK will exit and under what terms.

The markets won't have as much impact on the day to day lives of people there compared to the fall in economic growth predicted by banks like Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan. Getting it's credit rating downgraded is pretty significant too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

it takes a certain kind of poo poo headed fucker to massage the numbers to fit the particular narrative that the sky is falling, which it isnt, which could then lead to the sky actually falling

This happened already. It's called Brexit.

• Locked thread