Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Vasudus posted:

Castle was up the road from Casey and was home to just 2EN (which fell under 2-72), there was also a place called "Castle North" about a mile further up which was this hosed up logistics outpost that was half shared with the ROKA. No idea what unit was assigned there.

Castle was pretty awesome because we were away from *most* of the gently caress gently caress games that went on at Casey, and our motorpool was across the highway via a sky bridge.

I think I went to Castle North then because it was basically a warehouse with a parking lot with cinder block walls with concertina wire on top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

not caring here posted:

cold weather gear doesn't keep the cold out. Those sleeping bags are a joke in a Korean winter.

Glad I'm out!

I dunno what gear you had but as a dude stationed in Alaska, the cold weather gear was just about the only thing the army got right. Except those awful 10 man tents.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Vasudus posted:

got a bsm despite being e5 for my tour award

When I was in Desert Storm, everybody E5 and above got at least a BSM.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

MightyJoe36 posted:

When I was in Desert Storm, everybody E5 and above got at least a BSM.

got bumped up to E7ish in Iraq II so as to not cheapen the award

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

spacetoaster posted:

My father told me this. He told me how, in Vietnam, he slept in a ditch and ate cold garbage. And how, right across the street, the Air Force dudes where snug and comfortable.

Me? Oh, I had to be all: "gently caress you dad!" and join the Army.

I'm a retard. Don't be a retard.

THIS.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The army's response to sub par living conditions and stories about why they shouldn't enlist:

Army: "Hey kids! here's a video game we made that lets you be a sniper"

*thousands of kids enlist, mainly as truck drivers*

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

MurderBot posted:

The army's response to sub par living conditions and stories about why they shouldn't enlist:

Army: "Hey kids! here's a video game we made that lets you be a sniper"

*thousands of kids enlist, mainly as truck drivers*

most kids walk in and want to be SNIPERS

or DELTA FORCE

or GREEN BERET

or RANGER

because they're too good for a desk

imagine sitting at a desk and some 17 year old autistic fat kid tells you he is too good for sitting at a desk

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

How often did you want to be honest with kids and tell them that the best that they could hope for in a military career was fixing washing machines/sewing and possibly an honorable discharge if they don't get a DUI before they are 23

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
my recruiters primary selling point was the amount of pussy i was gonna slay

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I was at carroll...its the worst

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

my recruiters primary selling point was the amount of pussy i was gonna slay

same

He proceeded to tell me how my mos was full of chicks and Id get laid all the time, he failed to disclose that army chicks are usually uhhhhh homely and the ones that are attractive either get married really quickly, get divorced and re married more than most soldiers change their oil, or have a laundry list of STDs.

Ace of Baes fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 26, 2016

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Obstacle2 posted:

I dunno what gear you had but as a dude stationed in Alaska, the cold weather gear was just about the only thing the army got right. Except those awful 10 man tents.

I hated pulling those drat tents around on the akios (sp?). You're right about the cold gear stuff though, poo poo was on point.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

he vastly oversold that number tbqh

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Recruiter: Chicks love soldiers man, youre ggonna get so much action you wont know what to do.

*proceeds to get stationed in the middle of nowhere where soldiers make up 50+% of the local population*

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
by the time you get to your duty station, all the other retards before you have already hosed up your chances

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Huuuuuah

Of course, I can only assume that the new army uniform can't in any way be designed for some level of competent rolling that the marine cammies are.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MurderBot posted:

Huuuuuah

Of course, I can only assume that the new army uniform can't in any way be designed for some level of competent rolling that the marine cammies are.

if you actually care about how good your rolls are then die

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
We ran a warfighter this year where those drat Dirty Atropians were threatening to blow some chemical facilities in the AO, and the BN Commander was super excited because one of our myriad excess butterbars was NBC.

It turns out the answer to almost any sort of chemical attack is "don't bother with mopp gear, if you guys don't run away your insides will melt." Who knew?

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Can we talk about how the VA's e-benefits website has hours of availability as if it were an actual physical location?

Want to look at my remaining GI Bill benefits after 6pm EST? Sorry come back tomorrow to this website on the god drat internet.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The army is going to start rolling sleeves again?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

if you actually care about how good your rolls are then die

Rumor was that MAG-13 gave every single possible gently caress about it

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Obstacle2 posted:

Can we talk about how the VA's e-benefits website has hours of availability as if it were an actual physical location?

Want to look at my remaining GI Bill benefits after 6pm EST? Sorry come back tomorrow to this website on the god drat internet.

Are you loving kidding?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The army is going to start rolling sleeves again?

Looks likely, they just ran a "pilot" testing it out at FT Hood. Looks like it's between the old school Army way of camo out or the marine way with Camo in.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

It should be camo out, because it wasn't that hard and i always thought it looked cool. We were still rolling sleeves when I left Bragg. poo poo, I remember when it was a huge deal we had to get flags sewn on.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I agree, camo in looks kind of lovely. Doubt I'll ever get to roll my sleeves here at Lewis anyway, been high in the 60's almost the entire time I've been here.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cravius posted:

Are you loving kidding?

Nope.

Also new thread titel.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Carteret posted:

It should be camo out, because it wasn't that hard and i always thought it looked cool. We were still rolling sleeves when I left Bragg. poo poo, I remember when it was a huge deal we had to get flags sewn on.

Camo in because the arm hole can be bigger. And its easier. And you can bullshit the other folds easier instead of having your made by the blind cuff being a built in ruler.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
you gotta sculpt the guns so you dont have to put a fold in the roll to keep them tight

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

you gotta sculpt the guns so you dont have to put a fold in the roll to keep them tight

The real reason Marines do pull ups.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Icon Of Sin posted:

You're right about the cold gear stuff though, poo poo was on point.*

Some exclusions apply. Void where prohibited. Subject to change without notice. At participating locations only.

Because if you're doing something and you think you're cold well gently caress you the guy in the head shed is warm and he says that's the uniform of the day.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Carteret posted:

The worst part of Korea the army was the entire Army.
Fixed it for you.

not caring here posted:

That whole thing of "oh we're gonna do x to give you confidence in your equipment" only ever showed me not to ever trust anything the army has or gives you.

Gas masks? oh cool, I can barely breathe normal air and the purge valve doesn't work either. Brand new M4? oh cool, fires twice with every other pull of the trigger. Oh, and your magazines are all flogged out too. wet weather gear doesn't keep the rain out, cold weather gear doesn't keep the cold out. Those sleeping bags are a joke in a Korean winter.

Glad I'm out!
Aside from our mouth/nose that had to stick out so we didn't die of suffocation, the bags kept you from getting cold. I actually got super hot and sweaty because the drat things are like sleeping in a trash bag--they don't breathe at all, so when I had to get out the shock of being wet in 0 to -20 weather (I don't remember what it was that day, but well below freezing) was pretty awful.

spacetoaster posted:

My father told me this. He told me how, in Vietnam, he slept in a ditch and ate cold garbage. And how, right across the street, the Air Force dudes where snug and comfortable.

Me? Oh, I had to be all: "gently caress you dad!" and join the Army.

I'm a retard. Don't be a retard.
My dad was also in the Air Force. He never told me to go AF instead of Army--he basically said, "Just don't go Marines." Although I should have picked up on it when he described playing volleyball in the mornings on a court and watching the Army guys run around the base looking miserable.

Mustang posted:

Looks likely, they just ran a "pilot" testing it out at FT Hood. Looks like it's between the old school Army way of camo out or the marine way with Camo in.
Basically do you want to pretend to be a marine or pretend to be in the air force? I know which I'd rather pretend I was in.

psydude posted:

The real reason Marines do pull ups.
Curls for the girls. And the rolled sleeves.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Now that I have a week left I can say the absolute worst loving thing I ever had to do was a loddie doddie everybody tent maintenance and inventory on all of the poo poo we had, those new tents that have genies apart of the kit.

Anyways everybody meant "I have a meeting" so it was lower enlisted and a few senior NCOs that were cool because they knew how bad it was going to suck and didn't want to leave their soldiers behind. Also because other NCOs were hovering like Hawks trying to snatch up a loose private on some AR 670-1 crap and make them help his section so he could gently caress off and do better guest issue was the area they wanted everything in was a huge loving parks lot right outside the new HRC building. You think they would be smart and not make us pound stakes into the black top in 103 degree weather in goddamn Fort Knox Kentucky and having to do all that poo poo without de blousing or whatever? You know how this story ends...

What's worse is that after we set up a lot of the tents, we had to move them in different formations, which meant repounding stakes. We changed formations 4 loving times. Worst loving week outside of NTC in my whole career.

Edit and disassembling half the loving tent to replace one goddamn support arm. gently caress

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Soulex posted:

Now that I have a week left I can say the absolute worst loving thing I ever had to do was a loddie doddie everybody tent maintenance and inventory on all of the poo poo we had, those new tents that have genies apart of the kit.

Anyways everybody meant "I have a meeting" so it was lower enlisted and a few senior NCOs that were cool because they knew how bad it was going to suck and didn't want to leave their soldiers behind. Also because other NCOs were hovering like Hawks trying to snatch up a loose private on some AR 670-1 crap and make them help his section so he could gently caress off and do better guest issue was the area they wanted everything in was a huge loving parks lot right outside the new HRC building. You think they would be smart and not make us pound stakes into the black top in 103 degree weather in goddamn Fort Knox Kentucky and having to do all that poo poo without de blousing or whatever? You know how this story ends...

What's worse is that after we set up a lot of the tents, we had to move them in different formations, which meant repounding stakes. We changed formations 4 loving times. Worst loving week outside of NTC in my whole career.

Edit and disassembling half the loving tent to replace one goddamn support arm. gently caress

are you just really bad at shamming or something

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

No, it was an HHC unit so it was top heavy as hell and lower enlisted where pretty much micromanaged to poo poo.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
i would have just said i have to go to legal and drived away

benem
Feb 15, 2012
"AND LAHDEE DAHDEE *EVERYBODY* IS GONNA BE THERE!!!" wails the HHC 1SG/CO, who is a goddamn Ranger-tabbed combat arms leader, goddammit. These POGs are gonna learn today!!

25 people show up. More wailing.

Yes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lahdie dahdie is definitely one of those expressions that doesn't exist outside of the military.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

cravius posted:

Are you with the 45th or one of the weird counter drug units

45th

its ok, but we like to dip and smoke a lot which is gross but in character for a OK guard unit

also nobody can pass a pt test. BLC is like 30 minutes from our unit this year and we can't send any of the like 25 E5s that need to go because they're all fat as poo poo

but dont worry, I was still pestered about 3 or 4 times for 5 dollars for the Family Day food costs, despite probably being one of the 30% of soldiers who had already donated. That initial money had evaporated. Their response to 'I've already given the unit what they asked for based on my rank' ?

"Well just toss another 5bux in"

I went out of my way to spend that 5 bucks on FRG burritos and then told them I didnt have the 5 any more at final.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 26, 2016

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
All you rear end in a top hat civilians who still post in this thread: how long did it take to stop accidentally saying random army poo poo in conversations? Please don't say never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Aranan posted:

All you rear end in a top hat civilians who still post in this thread: how long did it take to stop accidentally saying random army poo poo in conversations? Please don't say never.

Been out since '98. It still happens.

• Locked thread