Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Smol posted:

Oh they do? I guess it's not the default then, since only the login form has been HTTPS for me.
If you mean it doesn't redirect to https by default then yes that is correct, and it's because of the aforementioned issues. But if you put the https in the URL or if you use HTTPS everywhere then you can browse safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I'm pretty sure the nsa doesn't want to read your posting that badly

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

just when I thought the throbber couldn't get any better.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

zen death robot posted:

HTTPS everywhere breaks a lot of sites since they don't support HTTPS
:ssh:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Grundulum posted:

The :v: throbber is amazing; kudos to the goon who designed it. I almost regret having a great internet connection.

Came here to say this. It makes me want to just load random threads. A+ best update.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a reason that double-tapping in image mode zooms in to comical levels

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I've noticed that if you try to upload a picture from you're phone library that's been cropped with editor, the upload fails. This isn't a problem with unchanged images.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the looks of things, there's a bug where the app reacts to Cloudflare being a poo poo by popping up a "You need Archives to view this content" error message. Should probably be something more accurate/helpful.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Pretty sure this is a known bug but, uh, it can be a bit more dangerous when it happens to moderators. I accidentally a guy's post today.

Fedule posted:

Explanation of the post above: I meant to quote it. Hit edit instead (#modproblems). No problem; realised instantly, backed out and hit quote instead. Wrote post.

Unfortunately, Awful App has a bug with cached but unsubmitted posts where they get confused with each other, and with edits. So my post got submitted as an edit instead, and now that post is a reply by someone else to a thing that was never said.

Forums.

I think it's related to how Awful will save your post if you cancel in the middle of writing it combined with the fact that, as far as the forums are concerned, replying and editing are the same form. So I went to edit a post, which of course loads up a post form that will submit an edit. I realise my error, back out, and hit Quote instead. Awful helpfully loads up the post I was just making. Which was an edit, which now has a quote of the original post in it. I think that's what happened.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Stare-Out posted:

Here's a request unless I've missed it somewhere; on the pop-up dialog you get when you press down on a thread (with "Last Page" "Mark Unread" etc.) could you add "Last Post"? I know there's a last post option when you tap the page counter within a thread (which doesn't work, by the way) but it would be handy to get to the last post of a thread from favorites and stuff without having to go to the last page and then scroll down to the last post. There's still room on the pop-up dialog so I figured it could go there pretty nicely. Thanks!

That makes sense, I'll add it to the list.

I forget if the "Last Post" from the page picker is meant to go to the actual last post and just fails, or if it was relabeled but never actually implemented. Probably makes sense to align the text with the effect.

101 posted:

This might just be me but it'd be nice to have pull for next page and pull to refresh as different toggles

I'm not a fan of pull to next page but I'd still like to be able to check for new posts when I get to the bottom of a thread

Makes sense to me. If anything I'm the opposite, but I could see myself turning off pull to refresh on thread pages.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I've got some sample HTML dumps of pages with the "you've been probated" tag on them. Where should I put them for someone to use/parse and display in the app (so that people don't just get a mysterious "couldn't parse the preview" error when trying to post)?

I've got one or two laying around actually, just putting off the actual work. The ones I have are a year+ old, though, so feel free to shoot 'em over. Maybe plop it down on pastebin and link it here?

EmmyOk posted:

Is there a way to tell other apps to open SA links in Awful?

Theoretically, yes. Maybe I'll bug zen death robot about it now that https is a thing. In the meantime you can try the suggestions from Diabolik900.

Nude posted:

Just a heads up handout seems to be more inconsistent. Before I would be able to get a thread almost instantly now it's kind of random if handout will activate (and sometimes it gives me my bookmarks instead of the page). Haven't changed anything and handout works fine for regular Safari. I'm using an iPhone 5/iPad latest version of awful on the apple store. It's not a big deal obviously I can just copy the link, but just thought I should mention it.

Caithness posted:

Handoff hasn't done anything for me for months.

That's not good, and thanks for bringing it up. I admit to never actually using Handoff. I can take a look though.

Grundulum posted:

The :v: throbber is amazing; kudos to the goon who designed it. I almost regret having a great internet connection.

That's spanky the dolphin, to whom I :golfclap:. Still grinning every time I spot the lil :v:.

quote:

When the latest Awful app version restores from the background, it doesn't return to my last position on the page. I need to scroll down to where I was in order to continue avoiding work reading. Something broke the update before last; any idea what happened?

I still hate webviews and scrollviews, so no ETA, but I do have it on the list and plan on fixing it up. Unless someone beats me to it.

Keep hounding me about it every now and then, it'll happen eventually!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Is there a reason that double-tapping in image mode zooms in to comical levels

Not an intentional one, no.

Should probably find some decent image previewing view controller pod I can dump in there and throw out my custom garbage.

El Burbo posted:

I've noticed that if you try to upload a picture from you're phone library that's been cropped with editor, the upload fails. This isn't a problem with unchanged images.

Is this consistent for you? I've had some trouble consistently reproducing this in the past, but I haven't tried in a little while.

The Kins posted:

From the looks of things, there's a bug where the app reacts to Cloudflare being a poo poo by popping up a "You need Archives to view this content" error message. Should probably be something more accurate/helpful.

I agree that Cloudflare Ray is a gaping rear end in a top hat.

Fedule posted:

Pretty sure this is a known bug but, uh, it can be a bit more dangerous when it happens to moderators. I accidentally a guy's post today.

I think it's related to how Awful will save your post if you cancel in the middle of writing it combined with the fact that, as far as the forums are concerned, replying and editing are the same form. So I went to edit a post, which of course loads up a post form that will submit an edit. I realise my error, back out, and hit Quote instead. Awful helpfully loads up the post I was just making. Which was an edit, which now has a quote of the original post in it. I think that's what happened.

Ooh yeah, I didn't even consider how much shittier that is for mods. It is a known bug, but I'll bump it on up.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I also have edited other people's posts :kiddo:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I bring up the settings menu while in landscape on a 6S+, it's malformed and I can't dismiss it until I rotate to portrait.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The throbber is most dope, however the archives error is kind of annoying, seems to be quite regular now but I guess cloud flare gonna cloud flare.

One thing that has happened to me a few times is the edit page has flushed (I hit Preview, then Post), I then get what I assume was a cloud flare error.

So the post doesn't go through, but I also lose the entire post that was in the 'buffer' or whatever, so I've been copying to clipboard just in case.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Since when does the app run ads? I was just lying in bed, quietly browsing threads when an ad for some lovely Purge sequel started blasting at full volume. I don't remember ever seeing this in past versions.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

We don't. I wonder if we got an ad from the site itself that autoplayed audio and the UIWebView played it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

carry on then posted:

We don't. I wonder if we got an ad from the site itself that autoplayed audio and the UIWebView played it?

Maybe something embedded in a tweet?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Thanks nerd. I learned something!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Woah where did the smiley guy on the bookmarks and forums page come from.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bum the Sad posted:

Woah where did the smiley guy on the bookmarks and forums page come from.

spankey the dolphin

only on the something awful forums can this exchange make sense

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Is it new? I just noticed it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bum the Sad posted:

Is it new? I just noticed it.

Very new, I think pokeyman just pushed the beta with it a few days ago.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Subjunctive posted:

If I bring up the settings menu while in landscape on a 6S+, it's malformed and I can't dismiss it until I rotate to portrait.

I'm having trouble reproducing this in the simulator because (I think) the split view is so completely hosed I can't even get far enough in. Probably time to reexamine how Awful abuses UISplitViewController.

Maluco Marinero posted:

The throbber is most dope, however the archives error is kind of annoying, seems to be quite regular now but I guess cloud flare gonna cloud flare.

One thing that has happened to me a few times is the edit page has flushed (I hit Preview, then Post), I then get what I assume was a cloud flare error.

So the post doesn't go through, but I also lose the entire post that was in the 'buffer' or whatever, so I've been copying to clipboard just in case.

Sorry about that. I wonder why the Cloudflare error isn't getting handled by the "did we get a 200 response from the server" step of processing a response. Would be nice to snag the headers of the response and test it out. Unfortunately I never seem to be affected. I'll make a note and take a look if it happens!

Flavor Truck posted:

Since when does the app run ads? I was just lying in bed, quietly browsing threads when an ad for some lovely Purge sequel started blasting at full volume. I don't remember ever seeing this in past versions.

I think we try to inject the user-bought ads at the bottom of the page, but to my knowledge those are just gifs. So my best guess is

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe something embedded in a tweet?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Whenever I try to filter Games by the Trout tag I get no results, unless I back out to the forums list and click on Games again I get like a second before it refreshes and returns the normal forum view.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I really dig the :v: loading icon.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm just curious, do you get metrics on what font sizes are the most popular and on what devices? I'm on an iPhone 6 with my iOS display settings set to the second-smallest font size and 70% scale text in the Awful settings. Text looks great to me but emoji are really, really tiny with those settings. I'm wondering if it's worth it (or even possible?) to bump up their size a little bit (or standardize it regardless of scale text settings?) or if I'm just a weirdo who uses unusually small font. Hoping this sets the record for the most trivial and low priority feature/fix request of all time for the app btw but if it doesn't I wouldn't be surprised

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Whenever I try to filter Games by the Trout tag I get no results, unless I back out to the forums list and click on Games again I get like a second before it refreshes and returns the normal forum view.

I've gotten that in every tag I've tried in every forum where I've tried it. I feel like it used to work but it's been a while since it has and unfortunately I don't remember how long ago/what version of the app it was. The filter by tag feature may well not exist, though, unless this is some weird device-specific poo poo that only you and I are running into. If you're REALLY really quick though (like literally within one second) and you see the thread you want you can click on it.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Is this consistent for you? I've had some trouble consistently reproducing this in the past, but I haven't tried in a little while.

It's pretty consistent for me.

I tried to make this post with an edited screenshot. It wouldn't post ("image upload failed, an unknown error occurred (code 0)") until I took it out. It's not just cropping either, but any change with the editor that makes it fail.

On a regular iphone 6

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Whenever I share an image to GroupMe, it successfully posts but I then have to force close the Awful app. I can't swipe the image back down nor can I tap "done"

iPhone 6+

E: okay just tried it again and the text I sent with it posted but no image. And the Awful app didn't freeze; I could swipe it back down. Oh well. Guess I'll stick with copy image url.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 30, 2016

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Awful only gets better with age. Thanks for the hard work!

New smiley loading is straight Princess Monoke.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

glassyalabolas posted:

New smiley loading is straight Princess Monoke.

:spergin: Princess Mononoke

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Last post works now! And loving the new smiley loading thing!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:niggly:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Hey pokeyman, when you say "maybe possibly jump to posts better" do you mean there's a condition I missed where it won't? If so let me know and I'll go investigate it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hey so here's a bit of a request, I remember way back when that Awful would somehow default to opening to the favorites page when you started the app. I don't know if it's an iOS thing but now it seems to open to the forums list exclusively. Can anything be done about that?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

carry on then posted:

Hey pokeyman, when you say "maybe possibly jump to posts better" do you mean there's a condition I missed where it won't? If so let me know and I'll go investigate it.

I think it might've been me bitching about it. Embed-heavy threads like uspol in dnd jump you to a post but then dozens of tweets and images load

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Regular Nintendo posted:

I think it might've been me bitching about it. Embed-heavy threads like uspol in dnd jump you to a post but then dozens of tweets and images load

Still? Got an example page I could dick with?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

carry on then posted:

Still? Got an example page I could dick with?

Go to the uspol may thread in dnd (closed). Tap on a username in a quote from a different page and watch the madness

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Uhh keep in mind I am not on the latest beta. Idk if unreleased work has been done on this

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Regular Nintendo posted:

Go to the uspol may thread in dnd (closed). Tap on a username in a quote from a different page and watch the madness

Yeah it's crazy but I tried a few and it always ended up at the right post once everything stopped squirming. Best I can do unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

carry on then posted:

I was hoping he meant this which still doesn't seem to work right after the latest update:

Grundulum posted:

pokeyman,
When the latest Awful app version restores from the background, it doesn't return to my last position on the page. I need to scroll down to where I was in order to continue avoiding work reading. Something broke the update before last; any idea what happened?

• Locked thread