Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
set to private

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

A rare chest will allow you to hit 75% chaos resist making you tankier than a Kaoms.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I'm pretty new to this game. With some help from a friend, I've got my first character to 60, an Arc/Storm-Call witch. I'm feeling very glass cannon: I can kill basically anything before it gets to me, but if it does get to me I can only take a few hits. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can build to have a little more survivability?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You need to edit your privacy settings to have public characters. General answer is you likely need more life nodes (or resists) and running Blasphemy or Curse on Hit with Enfeeble can help a lot too.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jinnigan posted:

I'm pretty new to this game. With some help from a friend, I've got my first character to 60, an Arc/Storm-Call witch. I'm feeling very glass cannon: I can kill basically anything before it gets to me, but if it does get to me I can only take a few hits. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can build to have a little more survivability?

Yeah, looking at your gear, I'm not sure your resistances are capped at merciless. You also need more life. Swap out your unique helm for a rare, one with life and resists.

You should also focus on one skill. You picked up AoE nodes, so I suggest dropping Arc and focusing on Storm Call. Replace your Arc gem with a Controlled Destruction, and your Faster Casting with a Less Duration.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

I died to 20 stacks of corrupted blood cause my friend decided to call me at 7 in the morning to discuss his new puppy

its a cute puppy tho

J
Jun 10, 2001

Bob NewSCART posted:

For as long as this game has existed I've never understood how lightning coil makes you more tanky. Is it just because you can cap lighting resist even with the penalty so it's like taking -30% less physical damage ?

To elaborate a little bit on what killstealing said about physical damage being hard to reduce, armor in this game doesn't work the way the defense tab stats lead you to believe. You'll look at your character sheet and it'll say oh your armor is reducing physical damage by 40%...and that isn't really how it works at all. Here's how armor actually works, from the wiki:

quote:

To prevent one third of damage, you need armor 5 times the damage (e.g. 500 Armor for 100 damage)
To prevent half of damage, you need armor 10 times the damage (e.g. 1000 Armor for 100 damage)
To prevent two thirds of damage, you need armor 20 times the damage (e.g. 2000 Armor for 100 damage)
To prevent three quarters of damage, you need armor 30 times the damage (e.g. 3000 Armor for 100 damage)
To prevent 90% of damage, you need armor 90 times the damage (e.g. 9000 Armor for 100 damage)
Armor will never prevent more damage than its value divided by 10 (e.g. 1000 Armor will never prevent more than 100 damage)

In other words, big individual hits, which are what actually kill you most of the time, are really hard to reduce via armor. You need assloads of armor to do it which isn't practical for most builds. Meanwhile, elemental resistances work very straightforwardly. 75% lightning resistance means if you get hit by something that does 100 lightning damage, you're only going to take 25 damage. Then add in bonus max resistances, like a topaz flask which would put you at 81%. Lightning coil converts a big chunk of physical damage to lightning damage which is way easier to reduce. Taste of hate does the same thing.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Apple Craft posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Null_Unit/characters

Laugh and chastise me, Rodent. I trust you to purify me with fire.

Im barely awake, but through morning-haze the gear looks fairly allright. Id adjust the tree a bit to grab combat stamina and indomitable myself. If you manage to get mana leech on your glovea or a jewel, you should be able to drop the duelist leech nodes and the mana pot. And obviously, all your rare gear can be significantly upgraded as you gain currency. I would use a topaz flask and a basalt flask instead of the mana pot and one of the life pots.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Should I be looking to max my chaos resist as well as my elemental resist?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

Should I be looking to max my chaos resist as well as my elemental resist?

No, but getting a bit of chaos res is always a very good idea. I usually try to hit ~0%, but most people dont bother going that far.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Okay cool so eventually shoot for a lightning coil, a void heart and an atziris disfavor for my EQ build. Gotcha. Should I just use decent rares in the mean time?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

Should I just use decent rares in the mean time?

Yup. A marohi is also an excellent weapon to start out with.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I kinda forgot about the fact this game has guilds. They're worldwide, right? Maybe I should jump into the goon guild already.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Insurrectionist posted:

They're worldwide, right? Maybe I should jump into the goon guild already.

yeah. probably

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
That's nice, the EU D3 clan was always incredibly quiet and generally inactive compared to its US counterpart at least and it tends to be that way most games.

I don't have PMs but any invite for Liranille would be nice. If not I'll have to start struggling with IRC for the first time since 2004 I suppose.

I bought some points for premium stash tabs since I've played enough to warrant spending a little money now, and if I'm gonna bother with trading at all it sure ain't gonna be with third party applications running. Gonna say anything more complicated than searching for the name of a unique item on poe.trade looks pretty intimidating though. Currency tab was a bit awkwardly priced I gotta say, given the size of the points bundles, so I skipped that.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

That's nice, the EU D3 clan was always incredibly quiet and generally inactive compared to its US counterpart at least and it tends to be that way most games.

I don't have PMs but any invite for Liranille would be nice. If not I'll have to start struggling with IRC for the first time since 2004 I suppose.

I bought some points for premium stash tabs since I've played enough to warrant spending a little money now, and if I'm gonna bother with trading at all it sure ain't gonna be with third party applications running. Gonna say anything more complicated than searching for the name of a unique item on poe.trade looks pretty intimidating though. Currency tab was a bit awkwardly priced I gotta say, given the size of the points bundles, so I skipped that.

You can leave most of the fields in poe.trade empty and just set the type, price and a couple of mods that you're looking for 99% of the time, selling is just setting the tabs to public and assigning prices to stuff.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Arzachel posted:

You can leave most of the fields in poe.trade empty and just set the type, price and a couple of mods that you're looking for 99% of the time, selling is just setting the tabs to public and assigning prices to stuff.

Figuring out pricing for items I can sell would be the main worry. But I'm sure I can figure it out. Even the damage-ranges, somehow.

One thing I don't quite get though - it seems like poe.trade shows items matching your search terms from cheapest to most expensive (with unid at the end). But I just tried searching for a random unique, with no other filter than the name, and I got prices starting at 8 Chaos Orbs. Then I added a filter for minimum 6 links, since in a dreamworld that would be what I wanted - and the top result cost only 6 Chaos Orbs. There are several others at 6 and 7 as well. Why did these not show in the 'blank' search for the item, when they're cheaper? Is there some trick to finding the cheapest alternatives, or whatever?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Hooray. I took down uber lab for the first time with my eq juggernaut. Nice to have my acendencies complete. No good loot from either run, which is disappointing though. I thought uber-lab was supposed to have sweet stuff?

I also managed to roll up a flask which is now my favorite ever. I am still pretty much a newb, and for all I know everybody has one of these, but I love it.

Gotta go fast.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Quicksilver flasks of adrenaline are definitely very awesome. Gz on your Uber lab kill, poo poo can be real tough.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Filthy Monkey posted:

I thought uber-lab was supposed to have sweet stuff?

It can have sweet stuff.

If you get unlucky and/or open the wrong chest(s), you can get stiffed.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
More PoE.Trade talk:

If you use Chrome, I recommend this extension.

It allows you to do two very nice things:
1) Set the default values for "Online Only" and "Buyout Only" to ON
2) Auto-sort results by lowest>highest price

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
poe.trade already autosorts for price now

love when regals work out

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 26, 2016

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Apple Craft posted:

2) Auto-sort results by lowest>highest price

poe.trade does that on its own now

e;f,b

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Woo. Just five keyed today's uber lab. Best chest was quality skill gems, sadly. The layout is annoying, but the phases aren't actually that difficult. It isn't too tough with a EQ juggernought.

I just wish I had something worth enchanting :(. My helmet and gloves are kind of medicore, and my boots, while good, already have a nice enchant.

I do need to get stupid Haku to 7 so I can reroll that life craft though.

What should I be doing with these 15+ quality skillgems? Sell them, or vendor for prisms?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Good to see that Kripp's legacy lives on in 2016.

https://oddshot.tv/shot/%20moasie%20/UzpKBWcdKBVGvI7MBIHpTvQn

10k life, +1 Koams, 6 link disfavor, and a headhunter.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bugsy posted:

lol

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Is "Emperor's Charts" always totally lame? I've done it twice now, and it was four level 1 maps.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

Is "Emperor's Charts" always totally lame? I've done it twice now, and it was four level 1 maps.

You can't get maps over tier 1 outside of maps.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah most merc lab silver chests aren't worth it. You occasionally get a good darkshrine, or the lab unique chest, or the one that drops jewellery

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

At the start of Perandus you could get t2 maps out of it but they quickly cracked down on that.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bugsy posted:

what killed him there? detonate dead?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Awesome! posted:

what killed him there? detonate dead?

Twinned springs boss, he killed one and the other detonated the first boss's corpse, one-shotting him.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cu567Mimgc&t=238s

The most famous one. Starts at 4:00 if time stamps dont work.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
R.I.P. The Kripp

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
He still talks about it sometimes on stream

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
I think ZiggyDs belt is gonna be OP https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1692512

Especially if the fortify grouping is picked.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

Figuring out pricing for items I can sell would be the main worry. But I'm sure I can figure it out. Even the damage-ranges, somehow.

One thing I don't quite get though - it seems like poe.trade shows items matching your search terms from cheapest to most expensive (with unid at the end). But I just tried searching for a random unique, with no other filter than the name, and I got prices starting at 8 Chaos Orbs. Then I added a filter for minimum 6 links, since in a dreamworld that would be what I wanted - and the top result cost only 6 Chaos Orbs. There are several others at 6 and 7 as well. Why did these not show in the 'blank' search for the item, when they're cheaper? Is there some trick to finding the cheapest alternatives, or whatever?

If you were searching 6 links, they did not cost 6 chaos guaranteed. They were probably displaying 6 exalted orbs, which is worth almost 400 chaos.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Artificial Idiocy posted:

If you were searching 6 links, they did not cost 6 chaos guaranteed. They were probably displaying 6 exalted orbs, which is worth almost 400 chaos.

Might have been bricked corrupted ones mind you.
Theres a 6L up for 20 alcs as we speak.

Also some jackass might try to masterfully play the market again by listing low, wait for people to undercut and buy cheap 6links.
You always have those ultrasmart geniuses.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I was running a Pathfinder Lightning Strike build this league, however - after hitting level 70 and not having currency for necessary upgrades (better pDPS weapon, Lightning Coil, flask...), I decided to switch to something else. Roughly at the time of switching I've seen this post from Xequecal:

Xequecal posted:

I want to share a build I came up with that I've been absolutely tearing it up with this league. I saw a bunch of builds based on Scion and Ancestral Warchief, but literally all of them just maximized DPS at the expense of being ridiculously paper thin and expensive, usually being based on Facebreakers plus Abyssus or Bringer of Rain. So, I came up with this CI version that's fairly cheap, is ridiculously tanky, and still has respectable damage.

PoEPlanner link

You get a Rime Gaze, and link Ancestral Warchief + Poison + Added Chaos Damage + Increased AoE/Added Lightning Damage. For your weapon, get a max attack speed roll Essentia Sanguinis. Both of these uniques cost less than a chaos each. For the rest of your gear, just get whatever armor + ES rares you can afford. Very few people run armor + ES builds so this gear is normally very cheap. The most expensive pieces of gear by far for this build are going to be the two Energy from Within gems you need to socket in next to the two life clusters.

Normally, Added Chaos isn't great because most weapon damage passive nodes affect physical damage only. With this build, however, all your damage nodes are generic increases and affect everything. Added Chaos adds a huge amount of base damage per hit so you want the fastest weapon possible that still does respectable DPS, and Essentia Sanguinis fits the bill despite the fact that you aren't taking advantage of ghost reaver or the block bonus. A high pDPS Jeweled Foil is even faster but 212 DEX to equip it is not trivial and you'll be spending multiple exalts for one with a good pDPS roll.

For auras, I run Anger + Discipline. Anger also adds flat base damage per hit and all your generic damage increaser nodes also multiply it. The poison double dips off all the totem damage increased nodes and the concentrated effect from the helm, as does ignite from your anger damage. I sustain power charges with Orb of Storms linked to PCoC + Curse on Hit + Temporal Chains. After that, just run whatever golem you want and whatever warcry you want. Stone + Enduring for more tank, Ice + Rallying for damage.

At level 80, I'm sitting at 13k energy shield and 4k armor, with 1200 ES regeneration per second. I'd have to gently caress up pretty badly to get killed with these stats, I can faceroll through traps and the totems still do more than enough DPS to clear entire rooms in seconds. The biggest headache by far is heavy cold damage mobs, you can avoid getting frozen yourself with flasks but the mobs will constantly freeze your totems and stop them from doing anything.

drat, that's a great build so far. I'm level 70, everything was a cakewalk, in all fairness, that's one of the easiest builds which I've been playing in a while. I didn't even do Merc Lab yet, which will boost the survivability (+ES, +ES regen, etc) and the character is already super tanky. This is my first ever CI character and I didn't die in the first few hours when playing it, so this just confirms how solid this build is.

When levelling (as soon as you can wear it till before Merc Dominus), I think I was running in 4-link Icetomb, which are peanuts cheap.

I think the most expensive item which I've got was Energy From Within. All gear (including a 1 socket 700 ES body armour) was ~18 - 20c. If an item doesn't have 5 or 6 link, people will sell it for next to nothing - which is great for this build. Your main damage dealer is a 4 socket helmet worth 1c, you can literally run any armour which you can afford. I crafted mine to have a 4 link, but in fairness - I currently have a free socket or two and no idea what to put into them. My links currently are as advised by Xequecal:

Stone Golem - Minion Life - Minion Res
Lightning Warp - Less Duration - Faster Casting
PCoC - Orb of Storms - Curse on Hit - Temp Chains
Discipline - Anger
Increased Duration - Vaal Discipline - Enduring Cry - free socket (gonna put second Vaal Discipline in it I guess)

Because your weapon is a claw, you can use whirling blades with it if you want.
You can even add Vaal Haste or Minion Speed to the mix. Golem is super tanky without it and it only serves as a distraction, but hey, why not make him fast?

DPS is not a problem, my lovely gear and not yet taken all damage increasing nodes are giving around 4.5k tooltip DPS per totem. If you add The Sorrow of the Divine flask, this ends around 5.7 - 6k tooltip. Now add relatively high crit chance (I currently have 4 Power Charges, working on getting 5th one now) and ~200% crit multi. Now add poison. Now multiply by three and that's more than enough DPS to kill things fast. Plus, you see that each passive point makes a noticeable difference. My skill gems are non-quality, level 16 - 17, so there's lots of room for improvement here too.

Capping the resists was easy too - even when going CI, I went for Eye of Chayula and Dream Fragments, but because you're running a shield, you can buy one with +a lot of resistances for cheap.

Only thing which I've been aiming for to get on gear is +Str and +Dex. You need that to meet the gem requirements - for the Ancestral Warchief Totem itself and green supports. I was a bit short on str, so right now I have one +30 Str node from Tree, but I guess, once I'll move my rear end to find a better belt on poe.trade, I can spec out of it.

I guess the only cons so far is that you're flying through content, but to really crush it - you need 4 Ascendancy Points (typical Scion stuff). Before that, everything was super easy, you're tanky as hell, but once you get the capability to put third totem (from your ascendancy points), the clear speed gets a massive boost.

As for the levelling trees which I used:

28 points - straight for Ancestral Bond
52 points - finish left side of the tree
69 points - more damage and tank
81 points - get life cluster and prepare for using Energy from Within
93 points - CI
106 points - more ES + area of effect
117 points - just grab the rest

Xequecal, thanks for sharing this one.

kaaj fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bugsy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cu567Mimgc&t=238s

The most famous one. Starts at 4:00 if time stamps dont work.

Every league I'm, surprised how little people respect DD. They run blindly into dd totems, beyond spawns and springs bosses like its nothing. I'm loving terrified of DD, to the point Ill circle a boss 3 times before killing him if I'm in a totem map, just to make sure there's no dd totem anywhere near me. And if I run a twinned springs, I will seperate the bosses no matter how tanky and/or ranged I am. Those kinds of risks are just not worth taking.

kaaj posted:

I think the most expensive item which I've got was Energy From Within. All gear (including a 1 socket 700 ES body armour) was ~18 - 20c.

I think a lot of people are afraid of going CI because they think its too expensive. Its correct that CI can get absurdly expensive if you want to perfect your gear, but to get started (especially on sc) you dont need to invest a lot at all. This is especially true after ascendancy where a few of the better classes give massive ES bonuses.

To provide an example: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters

The character SRodent has 10.2k ES. While his gear is incredibly expensive, thats for DPS and/or comfort reasons. The ES values on most of the gear are low to average at best and you could replicate his defenses for very little investment. And that's 10.2k ES with an ascendancy class that does not provide any ES bonuses at all.

E: What I'm trying to say is: Newbies, dont be afraid to experiment with CI, especially on SC. It's crazy powerful once you get the hang of it.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 27, 2016

• Locked thread