Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

He's really become fond of drawing tattoos since getting punted by the Express, hasn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

According to Martin Rowson's twitter they haven't paid him for the cartoon either. Poor Paul. Express are a bunch of cunts naturally

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Guavanaut posted:

Someone please put this in the OP, it's glorious.

Done.

nobodyssweetheart posted:

CloudPotato asked I repost this here from the other Poltoons thread... some Brexit relief by traveling into the past with...

Cartoons from the Spitting Image: Giant Komic Book.
(The context captions may not be necessary for this crowd but I'm leaving them in.)
I got more if you want 'em.

Yayyyyy! :yayclod: Thank you.

-----

:siren::britain::siren::ducksiren::siren: EUROPEAN UNION REFERENDUM DAY!!! :siren::ducksiren::siren::britain::siren:

The choice is clear: :getin: or :frogout: ?

Our long national nightmare of bullshit and hysteria is almost at an end! If you haven't already, then let me be the tipping point that convinces you to get out there and tell all those suckers what YOU want to happen next! There might even be cool dogs at the polling station holy poo poo

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's referendum adventure – The prime minister has issued an impassioned personal plea to voters to reject the ‘untruths’ of the leave campaign" After Zec.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Independence Day 2 currently in cinemas

Mail:
MAC on...decision time in the EU Referendum

Guardian Australian Sport:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
MAC on...decision time in the EU Referendum

Merkel for Queen. You have to admit it would be fun.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Reality:

Full EU referendum results. Brexit won. Most of these 'toons will have been done while the results were coming in.

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Donald Trump's Scotland visit – The presumptive Republican candidate in the US presidential election arrives in the UK to unveil his second Scottish golf course"

Telegraph:

Times:

Guardian Sport:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Alright, its decided. Adams does not know what Europe's coast looks like.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Paul Thomas got fired from the express?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Squires, that's clearly Hungarian, not Icelandic!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nah I think he retired a while back. But they used a crusader knight he drew as part of their Brexit cover without paying him, which is always a point of contention with artists and especially as he's solidly Remain.

They probably owned the copyright for everything he drew during his tenure as political cartoonist there, but it's an expected favor to at least ask if you're going to reuse one in a new campaign or different context. They didn't legally have to, and they obviously didn't, so he's been poking fun at them on Twitter.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
It's got a thorn in it, therefore 100% genuine icelandic. I am the master linguist of all

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
Eton Mess? Gove didn't GO to Eton. Cartoon discredited!
IDS/Grayling(?) has never looked happier for being so badly drawn

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Guavanaut posted:

Nah I think he retired a while back.

He might have retired, but only in the polite sense that he was being laid off and might have got a severance package.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Guavanaut posted:

Nah I think he retired a while back. But they used a crusader knight he drew as part of their Brexit cover without paying him, which is always a point of contention with artists and especially as he's solidly Remain.
Why the gently caress was he working for the Express, then? It's been anti-EU for a very long time.

He can't even have been doing a Giles and just taking their money, because Giles - who was considerably to the left of the paper - rarely got overtly political, while Thomas was constantly parroting the editorial line.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah, he should have taken the shilling of one of the many lefty papers in need of a political cartoonist.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

" Martin Rowson on the Brexit vote – During the campaign the very worst impulses were given free rein and voice – Britain is now not greater but smaller, weaker and more vulnerable"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Edit: forgot The i paper:

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 25, 2016

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I do not get that Collins. Probably missing some deep thought. I do like the suicidal Cameron in the I though.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Mr. Squishy posted:

I do not get that Collins. Probably missing some deep thought. I do like the suicidal Cameron in the I though.

Lights going out all over Europe at the end.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Mr. Squishy posted:

It starts in the eyes of one refugee in the poster and ends so distant you can't see anybody anymore.

I guess it's just a call to think about where our perspective was.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
More than a refugee-it's a child refugee.

First it shows the camera taking his picture, then him, then the digitization of his image, then its use in a racist ad, then news reportage of the ad, then a British child seeing it. Then it zooms out so that we, reading the comic, are seeing the British child in the same way that the child sees the immigrant. And then the viewer moves on.

Notice the parallel framing on panels 6 and 12, and the inversion of panels 1 and 13, especially. It's paralleling the refugee, the British, and the viewer, over the three rows. It's a masterpiece. It's like something Alan Moore would design, except no one has consumed a ball of hashish.

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

edit: christ. The frames on panels 6 and 12 are meant to mimic the frames of the comic. What national cartooning awards are available in Britain?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 26, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I didn't even realise that was a child *looking* at the picture because I guess I didn't look hard enough, so that makes a lot more sense now. Honestly, even if it takes a while to parse, the fact that he's even trying to use the comics/cartoons format to say something meaningful in a way that uses the form in a different way puts him above most of the shits that we see in the politoons threads. Stephen Collins is a Good Chap.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
It's curious how some cartoons have Nigel Farage as the Brexit "star" and some have Boris.

Nigel before the vote; Boris after?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
A lot of the Boris stuff is because he is going to be running to replace Cameron shortly. So things like the "New Dawn" cartoon are saying that he's going to be the next PM.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Cliff Racer posted:

A lot of the Boris stuff is because he is going to be running to replace Cameron shortly. So things like the "New Dawn" cartoon are saying that he's going to be the next PM.
But that's been true/in cartoons for two years. Why prop up Nigel Farage at the same time, or alternately? Cartoonists ran out of yellow paint for a week?

e: Is Boris going to take the hit for the Brexit backlash?
e2: At least we'll get a break from Brexit/Boris now that the shadow cabinet's imploding.

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 26, 2016

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

edit: christ. The frames on panels 6 and 12 are meant to mimic the frames of the comic. What national cartooning awards are available in Britain?

Not sure that's right, if that was the point he'd colour the gutters black or even just outline the panels. They're definitely meant to resemble nets though.

It's curious how some cartoons have Nigel Farage as the Brexit "star" and some have Boris.

Nigel before the vote; Boris after?

During the campaign, Farage was the most interesting thing going, you never knew what the racist would say next. The Breaking Point poster was all him for instance. Now that it's over, he's not got a lot to do. He's one of the few politicians who doesn't have a leadership challenge to worry about, and until he starts agitating for us to fire article 50, we won't be hearing from him. "Smug man still happy" is not news.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

oh god Mac's going to be smug for a long time isn't he, he's going to be... happy

Mr. Squishy posted:

Not sure that's right, if that was the point he'd colour the gutters black or even just outline the panels. They're definitely meant to resemble nets though.

As well as the usual visual reason for windows and window panes, i.e. to show a separation between the people on either side and/or between the people on one side and the reader/viewer.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Cameron exits battered and bruised - Chris Riddell on the EU referendum"

Sunday Telegraph:

Brexit: Corbyn under pressure amid top team revolt

Sunday Times:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Scarfe also did the cover for the Sunday Times' magazine (I think)

Can anyone remember which side they backed?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sunday Times was Brexit, Times was Remain

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What has he done? And why is he playing craps in a roulette wheel?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

e: Is Boris going to take the hit for the Brexit backlash?

I think that Boris was expecting No to win and deliberately supported Yes in order to ride that wave of disappointed anger to a party convention win afterwards.

Of course he'll still probably win now, but it will make winning a general election a lot harder afterwards.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Cliff Racer posted:

I think that Boris was expecting No to win and deliberately supported Yes in order to ride that wave of disappointed anger to a party convention win afterwards.

Of course he'll still probably win now, but it will make winning a general election a lot harder afterwards.

Especially as Cameron appears to have dropped the mike on his way out and is showing no signs of actually following through on Brexit. Boris - if you're in power, keen to start this? No?

Guavanaut posted:

Someone please put this in the OP, it's glorious.

I do like how he's apparently slipped 'Fat oval office' in on the bottom right of the guys back. Or the side of his gut, whatever.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Red Oktober posted:

I do like how he's apparently slipped 'Fat oval office' in on the bottom right of the guys back. Or the side of his gut, whatever.
Side-gut is the new-sideboob.
Maybe it's "FA oval office," because the poors love their football.
I second the nomination that this thread's subtitle should be changed to "100% ARSE"

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Well the condom broke so I guess we need something new.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He's hosed, We're All A Condom

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

100% Arse is good.
e: just noticed the little kid with face-tats to his left.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I can't look at this map without seeing Kingsley

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

I can't look at this map without seeing Kingsley

I think the lone island of Norwich in the sea of east anglian blue is my favourite.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I was thinking about changing the title to "You Brexit, You Buy It", but it's a bit weak.

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the attempted coup against Jeremy Corbyn – Brexit triggers attempt by members of Labour shadow cabinet to topple party leader"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Tory leadership after the EU referendum – Britain will have a new prime minister by 2 September, after the executive of the Conservative party’s backbench set a tighter than expected timetable for selecting a new leader" After Enguerrand Quarton.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Jeremy Corbyn faces no-confidence motion from MPs

Times:

Mail:
MAC ON...EU referendum losers want the result looked at again