Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

You could have done the whole thing in the time it took you to complain about it here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

Yeah, as long as you have the right size screwdriver it's a non-issue, I literally just did it and put it back in like 3 minutes to try and pull the battery to see if that fixed my c-stick issue (it didn't).

If I copy my SD card's content, format the system and copy the data back, does that bring everything back (downloaded games, saves etc.)?

No, reformatting the system changes the encryption keys making all normally created backups useless.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Flagrama posted:

No, reformatting the system changes the encryption keys making all normally created backups useless.

Well, poo poo. I'm pretty sure the "circle pad pro" functionality on my new 3DS (both the C-Stick and ZL+ZR buttons) aren't working for some reason, despite the n3DS not being dropped or anything like that. How much does Nintendo charge for a repair and how messy is that going to be?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

univbee posted:

Well, poo poo. I'm pretty sure the "circle pad pro" functionality on my new 3DS (both the C-Stick and ZL+ZR buttons) aren't working for some reason, despite the n3DS not being dropped or anything like that. How much does Nintendo charge for a repair and how messy is that going to be?

Call them up and ask. Their customer service is top-notch, and they might even have some other idea for you to try. Charges for repairs vary. They're free if your system is still under warranty.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

holy poo poo you babies it's two quick turns of a screwdriver and the plate pops right off this is a complete non-issue

Ha, fine, I'll try this "manual labor" you describe. So I take the twisty-looseny and do I move it clockwise or widdershins or do I just bear down and push it northward?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you don't have one of those screwdrivers, you will find they are actually a really useful tool to have. I got a multi headed one with all the weird small sizes from Amazon and it let me make a ton of little repairs and adjustments to various electronics and watches and stuff.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

Call them up and ask. Their customer service is top-notch, and they might even have some other idea for you to try. Charges for repairs vary. They're free if your system is still under warranty.

Just got off the phone with them. One interesting suggestion I hadn't considered was to remove the screen protector, although still no go, and it's going to cost close to half the cost of a new unit for the repair. Barely out of warranty, too. :gonk: :retrogames:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Meldonox posted:

Ha, fine, I'll try this "manual labor" you describe. So I take the twisty-looseny and do I move it clockwise or widdershins or do I just bear down and push it northward?

Sorry, it seems like there's no help for you :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

univbee posted:

Just got off the phone with them. One interesting suggestion I hadn't considered was to remove the screen protector, although still no go, and it's going to cost close to half the cost of a new unit for the repair. Barely out of warranty, too. :gonk: :retrogames:

Rip it out and replace it with a PSP stick.
Not sure if that would fix your issue, I've only been skimming.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god was the screwdriver thing really not a joke JFC you drat goons

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Well ... it was and it wasn't.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Rip it out and replace it with a PSP stick.
Not sure if that would fix your issue, I've only been skimming.

The problem unfortunately isn't the stick itself, something about its internal interfacing isn't working correctly, like the part which controls it and the ZL/ZR buttons is broken or the n3DS just isn't talking to it correctly for some reason.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

univbee posted:

The problem unfortunately isn't the stick itself, something about its internal interfacing isn't working correctly, like the part which controls it and the ZL/ZR buttons is broken or the n3DS just isn't talking to it correctly for some reason.

Might as well buy a new, or used one from SA Mart, and then sell the other on ebay for parts. Depending on the cost of the repair, you may end up breaking even or even ahead.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

univbee posted:

Jesus. Did you spill some water on it or something?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Might as well buy a new, or used one from SA Mart, and then sell the other on ebay for parts. Depending on the cost of the repair, you may end up breaking even or even ahead.

Nah, I'm based out of Canada and the exchange rate makes that not really workable, plus getting Nintendo to repair it will get me a fresh 1-year warranty. It's also a Majora's Mask Special Edition, here's hoping they can actually fix it!

Inzombiac posted:

Jesus. Did you spill some water on it or something?

Nope, nothing like that ever, the thing just up and quit on me.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

univbee posted:

It's probably a loose ribbon on the C-stick, and the 3DS looks for that first?

Looks like a real rear end in a top hat to get to.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

univbee posted:

Nah, I'm based out of Canada and the exchange rate makes that not really workable, plus getting Nintendo to repair it will get me a fresh 1-year warranty. It's also a Majora's Mask Special Edition, here's hoping they can actually fix it!

Nope, nothing like that ever, the thing just up and quit on me.

I had that exact same issue with my New XL a few months ago. After two days or so, the connection just came back. No explanation. It's worked fine since.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Waltzing Along posted:

This.

Also: What is everyone's experience with on-device saves (mostly eShop titles + Fantasy Life I guess?), among those of you who did send something into Nintendo without doing a system transfer first? This is probably worth considering.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Spoderman posted:

I had that exact same issue with my New XL a few months ago. After two days or so, the connection just came back. No explanation. It's worked fine since.

Weird. It's been problematic that I'm aware of since yesterday, but will give it a few days before declaring it done and sending it in.

Buying something off SA-Mart would cost me more than actual new units would cost from a store here due to the exchange rate+shipping. Buying a new unit and then flipping the old one for parts probably wouldn't be worth the time investment if it ends up being a bit cheaper overall.

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 26, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That'll teach you to be Canadian!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Seasons changed. Time to reflow your circuits.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

A fair number of goons have probably never touched a tool of any kind

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
For example, no goon has touched me thank god

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just got a refurbished N3DS XL for $130, which comes as a blessing due to the fact that the 3D slider in my old 3DS XL had stopped working (unity works fine otherwise, but I'm still gonna try and get it repaired). There are 3 things that I need to know:

• Besides the username / password of my NNID, a micro SD card and a screwdriver, what else would I need for a system transfer?
  • Are the HORI screen protectors the only recommended choice? Or would the PDP be an ok substitute?
  • Aside from Fire Emblem Fates, Xenoblade Chronicles and the upcoming Dragon Quest 7, what other RPG can you goons recommend that came out since 2014? (Haven't played it a whole lot since SMTIV)

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Wark Say posted:

Just got a refurbished N3DS XL for $130, which comes as a blessing due to the fact that the 3D slider in my old 3DS XL had stopped working (unity works fine otherwise, but I'm still gonna try and get it repaired). There are 3 things that I need to know:

• Besides the username / password of my NNID, a micro SD card and a screwdriver, what else would I need for a system transfer?
  • Are the HORI screen protectors the only recommended choice? Or would the PDP be an ok substitute?
  • Aside from Fire Emblem Fates, Xenoblade Chronicles and the upcoming Dragon Quest 7, what other RPG can you goons recommend that came out since 2014? (Haven't played it a whole lot since SMTIV)

Bravely Defaults are pretty decent and naturally the six thousand Etrian Odyssey titles if that style of game rustles your jimmies.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Bravely Defaults are pretty decent and naturally the six thousand Etrian Odyssey titles if that style of game rustles your jimmies.

Played the first BD, wasn't my jam. Is the second basically more of the same? I am currently playing Etrian Odyssey 4, but right now I want to end that before I go into the new ones.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Wark Say posted:

Played the first BD, wasn't my jam. Is the second basically more of the same? I am currently playing Etrian Odyssey 4, but right now I want to end that before I go into the new ones.

Yeah it's pretty much more of the same with some improvements, I'm not super enamored with them either but I'll probably go through them one of these days for lack of a better idea. Might as well since I own them.

The original DS EO 3DS remakes are apparently pretty good if you missed out on those the first time, I've got them all but haven't touched them since I'm still hacking my way though EO4 as well. Other than those I can't think of any 3DS RPG's that are above mediocre regrettably so I've just been picking up original DS titles like Radiant Historia and The World Ends With You that I missed.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 26, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Wark Say posted:

Hori are still the best protectors.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hori are still the best protectors accessory makers.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

does robobot use the shoulder buttons, i want to play it but its going to be a heavy investment for me if it does

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

zolthorg posted:

does robobot use the shoulder buttons, i want to play it but its going to be a heavy investment for me if it does

It uses them for blocking but I never found blocking to be that important in Kirby so you should be good.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

SeANMcBAY posted:

It uses them for blocking but I never found blocking to be that important in Kirby so you should be good.

I am on the last level of the post game thing and I did not realize there was a block button. :geno:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Blocking is really only important in the Arena modes when you can't afford to tank a hit ever.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Blocking was really important in KSS's arena thought :geno:

jivjov posted:

Blocking is really only important in the Arena modes when you can't afford to tank a hit ever.

2ds are the cheapest right

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You can also do a super smash bros styled dodge

And some powers have special blocks like Mirror being able to reflect anything that hits you while shielding as power stars, ice makes you invulnerable, ESP can counter attack anything that tries to hurt it etc.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

wheres my kirby 2d sku nintendo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I got to the towers in Rhythm Heaven and ho ho ho it turns out I have no Rhythm and I am a little bitch boy begging for flow.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Inzombiac posted:

I got to the towers in Rhythm Heaven and ho ho ho it turns out I have no Rhythm and I am a little bitch boy begging for flow.

Lockstep is the Ornstein & Smough of Rhythm Heaven

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

goferchan posted:

Lockstep is the Ornstein & Smough of Rhythm Heaven

Lockstep is so ridiculously opaque in its explanation of how exactly you're supposed to handle the transitions, and takes 10-100x longer than any other RH minigame to actually legit finish it. And even after that it's just not fun at all. Why they kept that hunk of garbage for Megamix when there are several infinitely better "march"-type games to compare it to is beyond me.

On the topic of RPGs, I haven't seen 3rd Dragon III discussed much, even though it's out in a few weeks. Is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

minimalist posted:

Lockstep is so ridiculously opaque in its explanation of how exactly you're supposed to handle the transitions, and takes 10-100x longer than any other RH minigame to actually legit finish it. And even after that it's just not fun at all. Why they kept that hunk of garbage for Megamix when there are several infinitely better "march"-type games to compare it to is beyond me.

Oh I think it's really good and a great skill check but yes they could be a little more clear about when to transition. Once you get the timing for that down though it's extremely satisfying.