Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Getting a '98 TW200 dual sport for $1600; on a bike that's under 300lbs wet is it still worth it to get a disc/fork/etc lock (and bright orange "it's locked" reminder cable) for short-term parking, or is any thief just going to roll it up a ramp on its back tire and it's pointless?

I have a locked shed at my house to keep it in for overnight parking, so the bike would almost never be parked out on a curb overnight, just parked on the street while I was shopping or out for dinner or whatnot.

Thieves love dual sports. You want to lock it to something like it's a bicycle. I swear by these two locks. Like, I literally trust a supermoto in a high theft area for hours two nights a week to it, and 100% of the time when parked at home.

Quantum Cuff- I have two of these, one for each bike. Great for home use, but is light and packs small so you could strap it to the back. Love how much room you have to loop onto something and then also lock around your triples or frame. Super easy to use, makes getting locked or unlocked and on your way a breeze. It's "unpickable" to the point that they would just spend their time cutting whatever it was hooked to.
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8295DPS-Quantum-Cable/dp/B000P6VMEC

Street Cuffs- Same as above, but probably even more secure. Small enough to toss in a backpack, but no nonsense. This is what I take with me, usually.
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8290DPS-22-inch-9-Link/dp/B0009V1WQQ/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AXRKHQPDA92FD9932GQP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Oooo I should also add that anytime you work with hex cap bolts make sure the allen key is seated as deeply as possible inside the hole before you apply any torque to it. They will strip out very easily if it's only halfway in there. You've got gravity on your side, this is more of a problem when the bolt is parallel to the ground or upside-down.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ola posted:

You can round out the hex heads and curse your existence until sweet death. Or you can ease, take quiet and apply methods. Do you need them undone now or can you ride as you try this thing and that? The two things being heat and lube, the methods of love, applied respectively with a heat gun or torch and some penetrating :heysexy: oil. Some righteous percussion goes without saying to either one.

It's not right-now vital. I want them out eventually to replace with longer ones, to which I intend to mount a secondary instrument panel/power hub. Also I might want risers.

I'll pick up some penetrating oil and have another go when it's warmer.

Gorson posted:

Oooo I should also add that anytime you work with hex cap bolts make sure the allen key is seated as deeply as possible inside the hole before you apply any torque to it. They will strip out very easily if it's only halfway in there. You've got gravity on your side, this is more of a problem when the bolt is parallel to the ground or upside-down.

Or if some dumbshit PO has managed to glob a bunch of copper grease inside the head. :argh:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 25, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Buy some allen key sockets, don't use the simple wrenches for stuff like that because they flex too much and cause you difficulty.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But NOT ball allen sockets.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Slavvy posted:

Buy some allen key sockets, don't use the simple wrenches for stuff like that because they flex too much and cause you difficulty.

This! Was about to post the same thing. Allen key wrenched are junk.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

Good locks from Master

:lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBnBOoOdA54

You're never going to find a set of locks that will truly keep your poo poo safe from a determined thief, but going for something heavier duty than Master is probably always a good idea. Especially when they come with terribly weak chains like those cuffs did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIq9khF-axs

The brand I've been most impressed by is Kryptonite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPfwzSv5rcs

Of course your lock won't mean poo poo without a good chain. This video is a fantastic little introduction to what you should be looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_7GLxmyaXM

Just don't give Master any more money when their products are garbage.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Huh, I debated asking if there was any bike-chain like thing that'd be better for a small motorbike, but thought it was a silly question, guess not.

Motorcycles are explicitly barred from parking on sidewalks in Texas, so I guess if there isn't a pole near where I park, I can at least chain the tire to the frame so it's better than nothing, but optimally chain it to something fixed locally?

Okay, so avoid the Master chain and lock, go with one of the Kryptonite chain/u-lock combos even though they're more meant for bicycles?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Your best bet is to insure the bike against theft, so make sure you have a comprehensive policy with an appropriate deductible.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chichevache posted:

The height of genius discovery.

Wow man thank you it sure is hard talking about locks when I'm still on my first day on this here internet. I've never heard of that guy!

Masterlock is garbage but, these cuffs are good locks, and won't break the bank. They have strong links and are easy to use. Definitely more serious than most of the motorcycle specific locks I've used/seen. Good insurance first, a solid lock second.

Okay, so avoid the Master chain and lock, go with one of the Kryptonite chain/u-lock combos even though they're more meant for bicycles?

Avoid master lock, except for those I linked. I did my research before buying OH I DON'T KNOW MAYBE THREE OF THEM and use them on bikes that are high risk. Your bike is still going to get jacked if someone wants it bad enough.

Also- Get a cover. This might be even better than a lock for securing your bike. Use it in conjunction with a cover. I live in a high theft neighborhood and these are the tools I've chosen.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Your best bet is to insure the bike against theft, so make sure you have a comprehensive policy with an appropriate deductible.

This a million times.

Coydog posted:

Wow man thank you it sure is hard talking about locks when I'm still on my first day on this here internet. I've never heard of that guy!

What's with the attitude?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coydog posted:

Avoid master lock, except for those I linked. I did my research before buying OH I DON'T KNOW MAYBE THREE OF THEM and use them on bikes that are high risk. Your bike is still going to get jacked if someone wants it bad enough.

Also- Get a cover. This might be even better than a lock for securing your bike. Use it in conjunction with a cover. I live in a high theft neighborhood and these are the tools I've chosen.

Any lock without multiple spool pins to resist picking is garbage, and relatively trivial for anyone who's willing to spend a few hours or so playing around with lockpicks.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I don't know Austin, but here folks just roll up with a van and three dudes and lift the bike in. Gone in ~20 seconds. Comprehensive insurance is your best bet. After that, a cover that doesn't show your knobbies.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Any lock without multiple spool pins to resist picking is garbage, and relatively trivial for anyone who's willing to spend a few hours or so playing around with lockpicks.

Master is pretty notorious for not using security pins in their padlocks, which is loving inexcusable in my opinion. Frankly, if I were going to buy a lock that I expected to be secure at all I would pick a European brand, since many of them use far more complex mechanisms that an American thief will never encounter. Any kind of dimple lock, for example.

Or a nice Medico padlock with a high shackle guard and the nastiest chain I could find.:hawaaaafap:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Verge posted:

where do you guys live?

I'm out in Gainesville. Work in Falls Church, near Coleman's.

M42 posted:

Satan's taint/ DC area.

Nah, first thing I thought of and checked, the bolt definitely seems to be the origin. I cut my face up shoving it in the gap to confirm. Will buy some extensions and rotating joints to test the bolt, too lazy to remove anything. I maaaay need some hauling help to deal with a potential trackbike in a few weeks :)

Kk, If you say so. I had to deal with a similar issue on a 'busa: there was no oil on top of the tensioner, but just below it. Oil moves when it gets hot, so you're more likely too find it on and below the tensioner then down the side or back of the cylinders.
I should have my truck back by then so just let me know. We might need help loading because newtruck is pretty tall and I haven't loaded anything in it yet *knock on wood*

The_Maz posted:

Word. I'll check on item 1 tomorrow and get at you on PMs about trading beer and grillables for carb balancing. Vaguely annoyed that I may have to clean them again, having observed all the stabilizer and running it every week rituals over the winter, but I guess that's oldbikes.txt.

I already emailed you, but I'm a bit tied up the next week and Independence Day weekend. My truck is still in the shop and I've got some plans,
I'm down to bieks and chill afterwards though.

When are we gonna swap the cam on that thing? :getin:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Does anyone even try to pick these locks instead of just cutting the cable/chain with a big set of bolt cutters? That would be way faster.

I agree with everyone else that comprehensive coverage is your only real protection.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Day Man posted:

Does anyone even try to pick these locks instead of just cutting the cable/chain with a big set of bolt cutters? That would be way faster.

I agree with everyone else that comprehensive coverage is your only real protection.

There is more than one way to pick a lock. They might try raking an easy lock a few times, but I doubt they single pin pick anything complex. That's why the chain (and using proper security pins in your locks :argh:) is such a big deal and why I would be hesitant using the Masters recommended earlier.

Also they could be using bump keys or other workarounds that can be done by most people who have used the internet (you can buy most of this stuff from a few websites and it isn't even that expensive). Bump keys are one reason I like the idea of buying a European or Asian lock instead of a mass-produced brand that is popular in America. The odds of your average American thief having learned how to bypass them is practically zero.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Tire recommendation for an f4i? Summer and fall pleasure riding, not really touring or anything.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

PaintVagrant posted:

Tire recommendation for an f4i? Summer and fall pleasure riding, not really touring or anything.

Pilot Road 4s if you want to have good grip and very good life plus excellent wet performance, Metzler M7RR if you want something sticky and slightly faster wearing but still get ok life out of, Q3s if you want stick and are ok with minimal life.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Getting a '98 TW200 dual sport for $1600; on a bike that's under 300lbs wet is it still worth it to get a disc/fork/etc lock (and bright orange "it's locked" reminder cable) for short-term parking, or is any thief just going to roll it up a ramp on its back tire and it's pointless?

I have a locked shed at my house to keep it in for overnight parking, so the bike would almost never be parked out on a curb overnight, just parked on the street while I was shopping or out for dinner or whatnot.

it depends on what level of bike thieves you got. if you live in my city, poo poo, you can leave the keys in the ignition. fact is, not many people are gonna want to steal that thing and I've heard that vanning is actually rare.

that being said, buy some piece of mind and get a small disc lock. picking up bikes is actually harder than it seems because you have to lift them through their suspension sag before the wheels become a non issue.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Z3n posted:

Pilot Road 4s if you want to have good grip and very good life plus excellent wet performance, Metzler M7RR if you want something sticky and slightly faster wearing but still get ok life out of, Q3s if you want stick and are ok with minimal life.

I was thinking PR4, hadn't heard of the metzelers. Thanks :)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Day Man posted:

Nobody here picks the lock. It's either van or angle grinder or plasma cutter (and then a van). I assume we get angle grinders and plasma cutters because of density but your best bet here really is just to keep it covered.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Also avoid emotional attachment. It's easier to move on and get a new bike that way.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Pope Mobile posted:

Also avoid emotional attachment. It's easier to move on and get a new bike that way.

:agreed: but also apply it to everything that is impermanent in life, like Epictetus taught.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Impossible. Love everything, embrace grief.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Impossible. Love everything, embrace grief.

You might have a point. Clutchpuck seems the most consistently upbeat person around here. Or at least he posts as one.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
So I finally picked up my bike from out of state and everything is fine except one thing that seems little but is concerning me.

My key is taking a fair amount of force to pull it out of the ignition. Anyone have any suggestions?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Shove the nozzle of a can of WD40 in the slot and go hog wild. Follow up with vaseline or silicone grease.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Shove the nozzle of a can of WD40 in the slot and go hog wild.

Nooooo :ohdear:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Actually it's fine so long as you don't treat it as a long term solution. Which is why I suggested following up with a thicker lubricant oil or grease.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's that "30 year" locksmith website vs my 30 year uncle locksmith.

I'll continue cleaning locks using a spray degreaser, and lubricating with graphite powder :shrug:

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

I'll continue cleaning locks using a spray degreaser, and lubricating with graphite powder :shrug:

Funny thing there, with the graphite powder. Comes in a little tube, you jam the nozzle end of the tube against the lock opening and squeeze to get a little puff of graphite powder in the lock mechanism.

Note that this is for an application where the keyhole face is perpendicular to the ground. If it is, instead, parallel, you really really do not need to squeeze the tube.

I got into autopilot mode, hitting every lock in the house with the graphite powder, and when it came to the bike it went loving everywhere. Bike's been caught in the rain since then and there's still graphite powder all around the keyhole.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My problem with the liquid lock lubricants is every time I pull the key out, it's covered in a black oil, which will stain cloth.

Resolved: My shifting rear axle. Ya'll were right, and I wasn't tightening it anywhere near the 80ft/lb spec. In fact, that torque is almost enough to lift the rear off the ground. No idea why my method hasn't been a problem on other bikes, though.

Problem: Ever since I replaced the chain and sprockets on the EX250, I have a loud whining noise matched with speed/torque, like an electric motor. It goes away when cruising or decelerating. It's almost louder than the engine (albiet the engine is pretty quiet). Is this normal? Is it just the chain (D.I.D oring)? I've researched this, but nothing remotely similar to my noise/issue has been brought up. Annoyingly, most people describe a squealing noise as a whine, which poisons the results.

I feel like it had a similar whine before, but it was so quiet and subtle that it almost didn't exist.

VVV Am I the only one that can't see z3N's post down there? VVV

Coydog fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 27, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Engine rpm or road speed?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

My problem with the liquid lock lubricants is every time I pull the key out, it's covered in a black oil, which will stain cloth.

Resolved: My shifting rear axle. Ya'll were right, and I wasn't tightening it anywhere near the 80ft/lb spec. In fact, that torque is almost enough to lift the rear off the ground. No idea why my method hasn't been a problem on other bikes, though.

Problem: Ever since I replaced the chain and sprockets on the EX250, I have a loud whining noise matched with speed/torque, like an electric motor. It goes away when cruising or decelerating. It's almost louder than the engine (albiet the engine is pretty quiet). Is this normal? Is it just the chain (D.I.D oring)? I've researched this, but nothing remotely similar to my noise/issue has been brought up. Annoyingly, most people describe a squealing noise as a whine, which poisons the results.

I feel like it had a similar whine before, but it was so quiet and subtle that it almost didn't exist.

VVV Am I the only one that can't see z3N's post down there? VVV

e: nevermind it's there now!

Yours is the last post ITT for me. The noise is probably your chain tension too tight or your rear wheel out of alignment. Or it's in your head as lots of bike things tend to be when you've fixed something then sit there obsessively looking out for the tiniest things being out of whack.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Engine rpm or road speed?

Road speed, but louder when I'm in a gear higher and a lot of torque is applied, such as cruising on the highway, or in 5th on a back road at 50, but not as much in 1st from a stop. Engine RPM doesn't affect it, and the sound doesn't exist unless the drivetrain is actually moving the bike forward.

Slavvy posted:

Yours is the last post ITT for me. The noise is probably your chain tension too tight or your rear wheel out of alignment.

Thankfully, your post fixed the glitch in the matrix and made his show up.

I've checked the tension almost every time I get of the bike for the past week, because of this noise, and it seems to be well within spec. The chain still is covered in the white lube it came with, so it's well lubricated, too.

My markings on either side are exactly the same. I know these can be wildly different on both sides on bikes, but my ninja has always had them about equal. I'll do it properly tomorrow using the swingarm pivots and a tape measure, to be sure.

Also, I know what the bike feels like out of alignment because of recent problems. This feels nothing like that.

Slavvy posted:

Or it's in your head

I'm very susceptible to new noises out of the norm bugging me, but this one is very prominent. Like, you would think it had a big electric motor in it. I'd say it sounds cool and futuristic, if I wasn't so worried about it being an expensive damage. When I did the chain and sprockets (multiple times) on the wr250x, I never noticed any bad noises. Granted, that bike is much louder than the ninja.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 27, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Did you grease the sprockets as well, or did you apply grease to the chain after you put it all together?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Are you maybe hearing the primary drive gears meshing, and for some reason some other sound was covering it up before?

A whine is almost always going to be gears.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

A whine is almost always going to be gears.

Nothing has changed that would cover up the noise. I did clean a metric ton of hardened grease out of the front sprocket cover when I did the job, but I don't think that's related. I hope it's not gears, because it's pretty loud.

Chichevache posted:

Did you grease the sprockets as well, or did you apply grease to the chain after you put it all together?

No, but it was coated in that white chain grease stuff everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Geirskogul posted:

Yeah, don't actually use WD-40 unless there's something wrong with the ignition. Like, the key sticks or it's hard to turn or someone put a bunch of sticky stuff in there. That being said, please unplug it before you spray a bunch of poo poo down there.
If your key just needs a little help, graphite lock lube goes a long way.