Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

clockworkjoe posted:

I figured it out. It's Surefire basic - with that skill, you don't have enough ammo to deploy turrets, even at max.

Report this, please- I would myself but i'm stuck on a computer that's basically a box of tic tacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I played a ton back in the day and a bit after the first weapon rebalance. I've got my deathwish skull and all that, so I knew my way around whatever Payday 2 used to be. How much has changed? Are dodge builds still fun and good?

Previous favorite gun picks included Deagle + Light Crossbow, or Cavity + Pistol Crossbow. Do I need to rethink how I pick weapons with whatever's new?

Depends on which state you were playing in. Pistols got a +2 buff followed by a -1 nerf. Currently, there are skills that bump up concealment in various ways that you can take a multitude of weapons in a high concealment build. Largely, the skill re-work opens up a lot of options. It's why the current skill part of the OP is so vague.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Cloakers are some bullshit because they will kick you through solid geometry. If they have a lock on you, walls aren't stopping them.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Pilgrimski posted:

For the dozers, you need to shoot them in the face. They have several layers of armour that you knock off before you can do propper headshot damage. Once you know how, they become a lot more routine.

Explosives stun them, and do lots of damage to the armour (yes.. the guy in the EOD suit is MORE vulnerable to explosives than normal) try the community grenades if you don't have the explosive shotgun ammo dlcs.
It still takes me forever to dismantle their helmets, but i probably just need to figure out the spread on my guns. The explosives are a good idea, i'll try those.

And those advanced special units sound nightmarish. Something to look forward to! :haw:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

UnknownMercenary posted:

Cloakers are some bullshit because they will kick you through solid geometry. If they have a lock on you, walls aren't stopping them.
Last night I saw one kick somebody who was standing inside the house on Rats and the fucker stayed outside even after. It's definitely trained me not to pretend any cover actually exists in the game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Report this, please- I would myself but i'm stuck on a computer that's basically a box of tic tacs.

It's not a bug, though? Surefire Basic makes your DMR AK magazine size 75 for a total pool of 63, which means you always have 0 ammo not in your magazine, so nothing to deploy turrets with. It's working as intended, I'm not sure how you'd change it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Pistols in general and deagles in particular got nerfed with fire rate and damage. Shotguns are now incredible, their base damage got boosted and special ammo doesn't gently caress with ammo pickup so you have no reason not to run 000 or flechettes in every gun.

Counterpoint: Dragon Breath rounds are more sick nasty than when they were introduced. I forget, was there a skill that made all Shotgun rounds punch through ammo or was that one of DB's buffs.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I haven't played in forever and all of this DLC and skill rework stuff is new to me so all I know is I maxed out the shotgun tree and also the ghost skills that buff silenced weapons and put silencers on both my shotguns and now I can one shot almost everything.

I have the exploding ammo in the Raven shotgun and I can blow shields the gently caress up and it owns

Bilal fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 26, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's not a bug, though? Surefire Basic makes your DMR AK magazine size 75 for a total pool of 63, which means you always have 0 ammo not in your magazine, so nothing to deploy turrets with. It's working as intended, I'm not sure how you'd change it.

The devs probably didn't foresee that combination of conditions.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
Question for the sentry turret build folk using the DMR AK to set up quickly: what are your thoughts on that with Fully Loaded Ace? The base pickup rate for the AK is pretty low such that the +75% from Fully Loaded Ace comes in handy, but the extra total ammo capacity from Basic means that you can only drop 1 or 2 turrets before needing about 4-5 pickups to drop again. You definitely can't quickly set down 4 all from the primary, but you can immediately set down 2, then switch to your secondary and immediately set down the other 2. I tend to use the grenade launcher secondary and this leaves me with a full magazine of 3 grenades along with the AK at near maximum, but maybe with the pickup rates it's more practical to mostly just use a really good secondary weapon such that the AK is never used except for setting down turrets (example: AK with Krinkov or AK with Locomotive)?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

widespread posted:

Counterpoint: Dragon Breath rounds are more sick nasty than when they were introduced. I forget, was there a skill that made all Shotgun rounds punch through ammo or was that one of DB's buffs.

DB benefitting from Overkill went a long way towards making it good, it's pretty great now but it still can't headshot so I'd stick with putting it in the really big shotguns.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Meldonox posted:

Last night I saw one kick somebody who was standing inside the house on Rats and the fucker stayed outside even after. It's definitely trained me not to pretend any cover actually exists in the game.

My favourite is when cloakers can follow you up the elevator shaft of Beneath the Mountain. I've both seen it happen and had it happen to me. It's hilarious and mindboggling every time.

vv They should just let turrets take from your loaded ammo. It will also get around the DMR/grenade launcher exploit that currently exists.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 26, 2016

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Discendo Vox posted:

The devs probably didn't foresee that combination of conditions.

Realistically though, what would they do about it? If you have zero ammunition in reserve, you can't deploy a turret.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Geight posted:

Realistically though, what would they do about it? If you have zero ammunition in reserve, you can't deploy a turret.

There's some discussion of making the ammo used also take a balanced ratio portion of ammo in the mag. The ratio would be a function of the proportion of non-mag to mag ammo.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 26, 2016

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Discendo Vox posted:

There's some discussion of making the ammo used also take a balanced ratio portion of ammo in the mag. The ratio would be a function of the proportion of non-mag to mag ammo.

Isn't that more or less how sentries worked prior to this (albeit a less elegant "to restore x% of a sentry turret it takes that same x% from your primary and secondary ammo pool" formula)? What, precisely, is the concern here? That after years of being the single most expensive skill point investment in the game only to be less useful than ammo bags, sentries are now actually worth taking? We're talking about a 46 skill point investment out of 120 here. That's nearly 40% of your available point pool at maximum level. They already reduced it down once during the beta to make them their present state. The second you start once again making the sentry turret guy eat through most of the team's ammo bags is when everyone goes right back to ditching the build like we've been doing for years now. I say leave the sentries alone.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 27, 2016

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

No, sentries used to be placed freely but you could not replenish their ammo and were generally weak. The last time they buffed them, before the skill rehaul, they added the ability to refill sentries with your current ammo with a button prompt but it would almost certainly take all of your ammo from both guns, so the optimal strategy for using sentries was to equip a grenade launcher and a shotgun or some other pair with low ammo/high pickup.

Sentries being as powerful as they are while also having their main downside - being resource hogs - nullified by an unforeseen consequence in their design choices is dumb. If they properly took away your ammo they would still be powerful since they kill everything; you can't just have multiple people bringing only sentries and making the game play itself because that's some rightfully boring poo poo.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

UnknownMercenary posted:

No, sentries used to be placed freely but you could not replenish their ammo and were generally weak. The last time they buffed them, before the skill rehaul, they added the ability to refill sentries with your current ammo with a button prompt but it would almost certainly take all of your ammo from both guns, so the optimal strategy for using sentries was to equip a grenade launcher and a shotgun or some other pair with low ammo/high pickup.

Sentries being as powerful as they are while also having their main downside - being resource hogs - nullified by an unforeseen consequence in their design choices is dumb. If they properly took away your ammo they would still be powerful since they kill everything; you can't just have multiple people bringing only sentries and making the game play itself because that's some rightfully boring poo poo.

Yeah, the DMR thing is fairly absurd. Sentries would still be sufficiently effective if paired with an LMG or something.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I run a whatever for primary and just remember to switch to the China puff, drop 2 guns, then run over a couple of boxes before I drop the next two.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Yeah, the DMR thing is fairly absurd. Sentries would still be sufficiently effective if paired with an LMG or something.

They are. I play with a friend who cleans house on DW using turrets with an LMG paired with Gambler. Really, before they consider anything else with the balance of turrets they should fix this one thing.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Build chat time! (because I have a 8 hour volunteer shift and I'm bored out of my skull) critique my build for DW.

"Classic" Masterforcer
While this build may have lost a strong secondary in the loco in the previous skill build, the China Puff fills that hold nicely. In exchange for shotgun skills, you now have a 25 round magazine special slayer, can punch shields at a distance, and have a blazing fast reload on primary. It would be nice to pick up aced spotter, but I'm not sure what to get rid of to fit it.

If you guarantee you're never going to take ammo bags, those could be swapped into the saw skills. The m308 is an absolute monster by itself, and now it has an extra 15 rounds in the mag, a fast reload, and one shots tans in the head on DW (with this build).

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 27, 2016

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I don't understand acing Confident without taking anything above it or Joker.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Yeah that was a mistake, I fixed it in the post. I can take basic spotter at that point. Oops!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Funnily enough that's almost identical to one of the builds I run, except I didn't take Fully Loaded Aced and put it towards Jack of All Trades, with the majority of my Sharpshooter points in High Value Target instead of Aggressive Reload. I feel like DMRs get a lot out of HVT when range limit on the damage bonus is 40m and I would try to snipe enemies from further away if I did use it in conjunction with a sniper rifle.

I would say if you plan to run ammo bags and need to climb to Fully Loaded, Bulletstorm Aced is a much better skill to take considering how situational the saw is. If you also plan to use the M308 or any other gun with 100 accuracy, the hipfire accuracy bonus does nothing when you already have 0 spread at all stances. I also don't feel like Optic Illusions Basic is going to do all that much for you if you're running around at 75 detection, but I've never been sure about how that skill works. Here's my version of your build:

http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mACEfNopr:eGHjkLmNPr:tCefopr:gjloqr:ibcdea:pM8::w34-18-31-30-34-33::

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Optic illusions is an "aggro" reducing skill, much like how muscle increase your "aggro"

A long guide fellater (I say that with the highest praise) can give you the details, but basically, you should be selected less often by cops so you get shot less, all other things being equal (which is never is). It's probably less effective than professional basic, and that coupled with rifleman basic, ADS should be lightning fast.

I categorically hate the stumble skill in oppressor. Basic happens to I frequently for it to really reduce incoming bullets, and even if you ace it, throwing cops to the floor makes it really difficult to kill cops, as you're not really expecting them to hit the deck, meaning you miss more shots on the following killing blow. YMMV, but I think it's a trap skill.

If I didn't feel that the m308 needs aced fully loaded to prevent it from being too much of a drain on ammo bags, aced jack of all Trades is a very cool choice.

I wonder if the eagle heavy rifle with aced silent killer gets to a significant DW damage breakpoint. That gun might not need aced FL.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 27, 2016

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Since PD2skills has finally updated, this is my LBV crook build. HE judge deals out hilarious crits. You can use a lower concealment primary if you don't mind losing perfect 3 detection, you have a lot more armour than a sneaky blow build in the past!

As I mentioned before, you have effective lower targeting priority so unseen strike has room to work its magic frequently even if it dissipates after being shot.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Optic illusions basic is, in the opinion of this long guide fellater, a coward's choice

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Drewjitsu posted:

Optic illusions is an "aggro" reducing skill, much like how muscle increase your "aggro"

A long guide fellater (I say that with the highest praise) can give you the details, but basically, you should be selected less often by cops so you get shot less, all other things being equal (which is never is).

IIRC, aggo is based at least in part on distance from a cop. So if you're the closest person to a cop, they're probably going to pick you. Thus, if you want the skill to be effective, you need to hang out with at least one other person, and let them get hosed up in your place.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

Optic illusions basic is, in the opinion of this long guide fellater, a coward's choice

:cry: I'll fix it when I get home.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

LuciferMorningstar posted:

IIRC, aggo is based at least in part on distance from a cop. So if you're the closest person to a cop, they're probably going to pick you. Thus, if you want the skill to be effective, you need to hang out with at least one other person, and let them get hosed up in your place.

This is correct. The thing that determines a player's base priority is their distance. Threat reduction skills let you get closer without affecting your priority.

Other things affecting priority include whether the cop has been hurt by you recently or if the cop has heard an alert caused by you recently. Threat reduction skills reduce the amount of time cops "remember" your damage and alerts.

Ideally your meat shield would be close to the cops and using loud guns.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

For shame vox, you missed this image that best describes the A$$ lifestyle.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

watho posted:

The trick to a turret build is to never actually deploy your turrets.

The real trick to a turret build is to make lunch & catch up on some TV. Otherwise you're going to be bored.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Crabtree posted:

For shame vox, you missed this image that best describes the A$$ lifestyle.

Waiting for sales? Shameful.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

The real trick to a turret build is to make lunch & catch up on some TV. Otherwise you're going to be bored.

To paraphrase Buckshot: Sentry builds are great if you want to play Deathwish but still want to go out and order a pizza.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

Waiting for sales? Shameful.

A true A$$ man doesn't buy Payday 2 DLC at a reduced price.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So I last played when they added microtransactions, what has changed since then?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Azran posted:

So I last played when they added microtransactions, what has changed since then?

They removed microtransactions.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The microtransactions are still there, just heavily marginalised and won't apply to new safes going forward.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

RandallODim posted:

They removed microtransactions.

Only that? :geno: I thought I heard something about a skills rebalance?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Azran posted:

Yeah, there's a skill rebalance. Visit PD2Skills to see what the new trees look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Azran posted:

Yeah, I was just being glib. There's been a second, slightly less dramatic, weapon rebalance, a couple new heists and heisters, and the recent skill revamp, which has really changed a lot of the game's face.