Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Is it the first year? The RBW throttle was bad when they first came out, they fixed it a year in.

edit: Oh wait, Tracer. That one should be "fixed."

Aha, that explains why the one I test rode, which I guess was a '16, felt just fine. Not hardy to monkey it into being un-smooth, but not hard to ride it smoothly either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HotCanadianChick posted:

That is why I'm glad both the FZ-10 and XSR900 come with slipper clutches.

Riding with a good slipper/assist clutch is like giving your left hand an orgasm.

wot. Slipper clutches just let you pull in the clutch, go down 2 or 3 gears, and then drop the clutch without fanning it.

Stock ones are adjusted hella tight compared to a proper aftermarket one that you can soften to the point that coming off the throttle lets the bike freewheel.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I'm pretty confident selling is the right move after listening to ya'll. Most of my rides are 5-10 mile urban commutes, and a smaller bike sounds like it'd be dandy for that sort of riding. I can sell the bike without eating a big loss as I got it for pretty cheap.

Sounds like a little 250/300 would be perfect for this. I'll try to find a super moto to test ride along with the little street bikes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fishvilla posted:

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I'm pretty confident selling is the right move after listening to ya'll. Most of my rides are 5-10 mile urban commutes, and a smaller bike sounds like it'd be dandy for that sort of riding. I can sell the bike without eating a big loss as I got it for pretty cheap.

Sounds like a little 250/300 would be perfect for this. I'll try to find a super moto to test ride along with the little street bikes.

That's good of you to be willing to admit that you got the wrong bike. I don't think many people would be willing to do that.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Fishvilla posted:

Were it me, and I had an inseam over 29", I'd take a hard look at a Super Sherpa. But I'm not an expert on sumos.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Fishvilla posted:

Should I sell my Bonneville and buy a small bike?

I'm not building confidence on the Bonnie in the way I hoped I would. It's just awkward, heavy, and not that much fun to ride around on, especially compared to the little dr200 I dicked around on in the BRC. I have maybe 150 miles on the Bonnie at this point. Is that long enough to make a decision? What are your thoughts?

150 miles isn't even enough saddle time to break in a pair of boots.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This advice:

clutchpuck posted:

is Stockholm syndrome masquerading as a cowboy. One of the hostages is telling the negotiator they want a loving CHOPPER RIGHT NOW PADRE and that sounds like a pretty cool thing to say. You DO get used to anything if you spend enough time at it. Anything being things like chronic tonsillitis, the paradox of existence and the medieval rack. But knowing early that it isn't for you and what to do next is a much better option.

PS clutchpuck, I totally don't mean to peck at you all the time, I feel like I do, it's a collateral damage thing.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

clutchpuck posted:

Tbf the Bonnie appears to be a totally cliche "thought I'd like it but I don't" bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't even judge a pair of new tires until I've put a solid day of riding on them. After a few years of riding other bikes, it took me more than 150 miles to be comfortable on the Ulysses.

A new rider is probably gonna feel a little uneasy on anything for a number of miles.

I recommend actually riding the thing through one whole tank of gas.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Tbf the Bonnie appears to be a totally cliche "thought I'd like it but I don't" bike.

For what it's worth, before I knew a thing about bikes I wanted a Bonnie.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

A MIRACLE posted:

Pics? Honestly might be might next bike. Going to put 10k miles on the FZ07 and trade it for something with ABS and vtec

I'll take some on Tuesday when I pick it up. Picture a black 6th-gen with matching Honda luggage and LeoVince SBK Carbon Oval Evo II pipes. Has a PowerCommander and a Stiebel Nautilus horn too, otherwise stock.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

VERTiG0 posted:

I'll take some on Tuesday when I pick it up. Picture a black 6th-gen with matching Honda luggage and LeoVince SBK Carbon Oval Evo II pipes. Has a PowerCommander and a Stiebel Nautilus horn too, otherwise stock.

VFRs with real exhausts are so awesome sounding.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

PaintVagrant posted:

VFRs with real exhausts are so awesome sounding.

It sounds unreal. This one has all the OEM parts too, so that's a nice bonus.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Chichevache posted:

Yup. Also an Iron 883. But hey, live and learn.

e: I am actually mildly curious about that Sporty Roadster thing tho.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
So there's a 76 CB750 at work and I want to see if I can buy it from the guy. It seems well maintained but with terribly faded paint. I'd like to take it on as a project. I've wanted to learn how to do body work and paint, and a nasty bike seems like a good place to start.

I have no idea how these things are valued. Where should I start with an offer? I have no idea on the mileage, but since he rides it to work daily, I'm assuming it's sound mechanically.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

So there's a 76 CB750 at work and I want to see if I can buy it from the guy. It seems well maintained but with terribly faded paint. I'd like to take it on as a project. I've wanted to learn how to do body work and paint, and a nasty bike seems like a good place to start.

I have no idea how these things are valued. Where should I start with an offer? I have no idea on the mileage, but since he rides it to work daily, I'm assuming it's sound mechanically.

What you think it's worth and what he thinks it's worth are likely to be wildly different unless he's over 40.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Dude is at least 55 which is one of the reasons I'm considering it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

wot. Slipper clutches just let you pull in the clutch, go down 2 or 3 gears, and then drop the clutch without fanning it.

Stock ones are adjusted hella tight compared to a proper aftermarket one that you can soften to the point that coming off the throttle lets the bike freewheel.

S'why I specified the slipper/assist clutches in the second sentence. The ones Yammy is using on their new models has an assist mechanism to make the clutch pull ~30% lighter. Makes stop and go riding sooooo much easier and less cramp inducing on your fingers vs. a standard cable clutch pull.

Kawasaki has a decent write up on their site:
https://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/technology/engine/tech_assist_n_slipper_clutch_e.html
(Apparently enough Ninja H2 owners have been bitching about the excessively heavy clutch pull that they're now offering this style of clutch as an upgrade kit for H2s)

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

captainOrbital posted:

Yup. Also an Iron 883. But hey, live and learn.

e: I am actually mildly curious about that Sporty Roadster thing tho.

I don't give a gently caress, I still want an XR1200X in my garage.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HotCanadianChick posted:

S'why I specified the slipper/assist clutches in the second sentence. The ones Yammy is using on their new models has an assist mechanism to make the clutch pull ~30% lighter. Makes stop and go riding sooooo much easier and less cramp inducing on your fingers vs. a standard cable clutch pull.

Kawasaki has a decent write up on their site:
https://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/technology/engine/tech_assist_n_slipper_clutch_e.html
(Apparently enough Ninja H2 owners have been bitching about the excessively heavy clutch pull that they're now offering this style of clutch as an upgrade kit for H2s)

Today I learned that this is a thing...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Today I learned that this is a thing...

KTM do it too but in a different way AFAIK.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
It's on, the TW200 seller two hours away finished replacing the clutch and seals (he apparently buys bikes and cleans them up for CL), and I got a ride from a fellow goon so will be heading up there this afternoon to check it out. It's a '98 or so, so as a different CL ad put it "Full House graphics" but I figure that'll be fun and cheesy in the short term, and if this bike is a keeper I'll be changing things around anyway. So stoked to get some transport, even living in Central Austin, this just isn't a hugely walkable city, especially compared to DC. Now just gotta see how the bike checks out, and if the TW is as close of a match to my needs as all my reading up online (and experience overseas with the Yam AG100) leads me to believe...

EDIT: bought it, awesome, photo and report forthcoming.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 26, 2016

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Chichevache posted:

For what it's worth, I work on bikes for a living and I think new Bonnevilles are great all-rounders. Only complaint is they're a bit heavy.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

For what it's worth, I work on bikes for a living and I think new Bonnevilles are great all-rounders. Only complaint is they're a bit heavy.

I'm not actually making any kind of judgement on the Bonnie in my post, I still want to give it a shot. I just wanted to point out that I too had been obsessed with owning a Bonneville, until I actually got some miles under me and learned to appreciate a bike for something other than the way it looked on a screen. Now the Bonnie is just another standard I haven't been on yet.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Those new 1200s look pretty good. If I rode one I'd be worried I might buy one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Those new 1200s look pretty good. If I rode one I'd be worried I might buy one.

Unlikely, they aren't nearly broken and idiosyncratic enough for you, indeed by all accounts they seem like pretty good bikes.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
How bad are VFR1200s?

Only reason I'm asking is the new VFR800s are running in the 13k AUD, and you can get VFR1200s with ~20k kilometers and a full luggage set for 10k. I'll be doing a 70k commute so the shaft drive sounds nice?

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 26, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
mc; rtb

Tip o' the hat to goon The Banana who gave me a ride from Austin out to College Station to pick up this 1997 Yahama TW200! I read up before going over as to any critical specific weak points of the TW200, and apparently there are next to none other than trying to figure if the PO was jumping it off cliffs. This one looks really clean, plastic slightly scuffed but still has original warning stickers on it, paint all original and no signs of bending/cracking, chain in good shape and properly tensioned, clutch and seals just replaced by the mechanic, and overall running great. It's got Bridgestone street-tires with plenty of tread.

The seller says the PO was an old guy who sold him two as a pair, that he and his wife had kept up at their lake-house and used them just to run around the neighborhood for errands, but not any serious dirt-biking or trail riding beyond going down a dirt road/path. I realize that sounds kind of like the "little old lady who only drove it to bingo on Sundays" but the bike does look really clean other than expected wear for 10k miles. The wife's bike only had 3k miles and sold for $1895 last week, but the more used one I got for $1600 cash, clean title.

I rode it back from College Station, and again Banana was really chill about us favoring small county roads, since on the huge 70mph rural highways I wasn't thrilled about the traffic and the heavy crosswinds. Note that on the speedo everything past 55 is marked as redline, so yeah, not a speed demon bike. But aside from a few places where we had to take a major highway, the county roads were just gorgeous, winding through twisties through forests and pastures full of long-horn cattle.

Just initial impressions, but this bike feels really stable and comfy despite its small size, it's the opposite of everything I disliked about the Bonneville, but as best as I can recall it feels more stable than my beloved CB250 Nighthawk, though not as fast (which is saying a lot). I'm a short dude and I can't completely flat-foot on both sides but I can get at least the balls and some sole down and on a bike this light that feels fine. I know motorcycles aren't inherently "safe" but I feel safer on this bike than about any I've been on; maybe the fat tires add to that? I really like the upright riding posture for keeping situational awareness, and though the dog-ear mirrors look cheesy, gently caress me if they don't give a great field of view without having to move my head at all.

I don't anticipate taking this bike out on major highways if it can be at all avoided; if I need to go to Dallas for a weekend I'll just get a car off Turo anyway. But for just running around Austin anywhere that's further than I want to bicycle, or running out to the shooting range outside of town, grabbing groceries, etc. this should be optimal. I'll give myself a few months to see if I'm in love with it, and if the novelty has worn off by autumn I'm sure I'll have zero trouble selling it to some college kid who wants a first bike. Though thus far the only things I could see upgrading to would be:

- a small electric of some sort if those eventually come out, cheaper and smaller than the Zero DX (again, 29" inseam limits me)
- maybe an even quirkier small bike, and a twin instead of thumper to avoid rear end numbage, so like an old Honda twin tarted up to be something other than a cafe racer
- if unexpectedly I start feeling the need for speed, my hands-down choice will be to get another Ninja 500, and again strip off all the plastic until it looks ignorant

Thanks again to the goons who nudged me in the direction of the TW200 as I was prepping to leave Africa; it's not an AG100 but it's the closest I'm likely to find in the US. Though I might seriously look into what it takes to import an AG from Africa, since I don't think they're importable commercially but if I have a personal one I think there are some exemptions from usual emissions rules or something? Would be a cool novelty to have running around the US.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

I love the paint scheme on that tdub, and it looks to be in great condition. The one I rode was a pile of rust and nightmares, but I can confirm what you mean about it feeling really safe and stable. I'm glad you ended up with such a clean one, and you're really going to enjoy it.

What's up with the back of that helmet? :wink:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Coydog posted:

Lol

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Barnsy posted:

How bad are VFR1200s?

Only reason I'm asking is the new VFR800s are running in the 13k AUD, and you can get VFR1200s with ~20k kilometers and a full luggage set for 10k. I'll be doing a 70k commute so the shaft drive sounds nice?

They have a bullshit tiny gas tank for a bike supposed to be a long distance tourer, the first two gears are totally neutered power-wise, and they're really heavy. I was looking at them as well, but I bought a 6th-gen VFR800 instead.

Also the 1200 engine sounds like complete poo poo even with an aftermarket exhaust. I don't know how they hosed it up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Barnsy posted:

How bad are VFR1200s?

I don't like them for the reasons vertigo has stated but I'll play the devil's advocate and say that they're a phenomenal deal used in australasia. They depreciate like rocks and have a lot to offer over the 800, especially in your situation where comfort and stuff are more important than zoom zoom cornering fun. I'd suggest looking at similar bikes (connie 14 etc) and see where they sit price-wise, I have the feeling the viffer will be the cheapest of the lot despite being a honda and all the good stuff that implies.

I would never buy a new VFR800 because the plaftorm is now so ancient it's effectively suffering DRZ syndrome in that there's nothing to recommend a brand new one over a 3 year old one with a few k's.

VERTiG0 posted:

Also the 1200 engine sounds like complete poo poo even with an aftermarket exhaust. I don't know how they hosed it up.

SOHC vtec yo.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Slavvy posted:

I would never buy a new VFR800 because the plaftorm is now so ancient it's effectively suffering DRZ syndrome in that there's nothing to recommend a brand new one over a 3 year old one with a few k's.

It looks really nice and modern and has outstanding lighting. But yeah, it's just the same bike as the 6th-gen with a few minor updates that aren't worth the MSRP at all. The insanely cheap (as far as these items tend to go) OEM quickshifter kit is a cool thing though.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Slavvy posted:

I don't like them for the reasons vertigo has stated but I'll play the devil's advocate and say that they're a phenomenal deal used in australasia. They depreciate like rocks and have a lot to offer over the 800, especially in your situation where comfort and stuff are more important than zoom zoom cornering fun. I'd suggest looking at similar bikes (connie 14 etc) and see where they sit price-wise, I have the feeling the viffer will be the cheapest of the lot despite being a honda and all the good stuff that implies.

SOHC vtec yo.

That's exactly why I was looking at them, they're a fortune new and came up used at lower prices than the current gen VFR800.

I'll try and get a testride somewhere, but the VFR800 is still what I'm looking for (even if I'll have to fork out a little more).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VERTiG0 posted:

It looks really nice and modern and has outstanding lighting. But yeah, it's just the same bike as the 6th-gen with a few minor updates that aren't worth the MSRP at all. The insanely cheap (as far as these items tend to go) OEM quickshifter kit is a cool thing though.

I think it's much uglier than the previous version. Also the exhaust has gone from being one of the nicest looking factory setups to something that looks like it fell off a 90's bandit 1200, it's terrible. Just a giant plain cylinder.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Coydog posted:

I love the paint scheme on that tdub, and it looks to be in great condition. The one I rode was a pile of rust and nightmares, but I can confirm what you mean about it feeling really safe and stable. I'm glad you ended up with such a clean one, and you're really going to enjoy it.

I'm seriously stoked! Mainly I want to get handguards to protect the levers and maybe some kind of crash-bars since I expect idiots parallel parking to knock it over downtown. Though the seller was skeptical about the latter, saying "this bike doesn't have enough weight to damage itself if it falls". There aren't standard frame sliders for it since trail riders don't like sliders since they actually want the bike to slide if it falls and not hang up, but for street use I can see if generic sliders can fit if I replace a given frame-bolt with a longer one with room for the rubber. I'd love this to be indestructible, which will be good too if I upgrade and sell it to a noob college kid.

This critter weighs less wet than a 250 Nighthawk weighs dry; I was debating getting a lithium battery as my standard weight-reduction method (and it'd cut 3% of the bike's wet weight) but no hurry.

I was glancing at Ninja 500s as a possible "upgrade" and drat are even recent ones cheap. Thought about a Ninja 300 (and some have ABS brakes), but the 500 despite being slightly heavier (and I can fix that) is 60hp vs 35 for the 300 so if I want more muscle I'm definitely streetfightering a 500. Am I a twit, or are the 500s awesome for the money? Am I missing some huge downside other than the ghastly plastic?

EDIT: the helmet is a $50 pawnshop special (I know, but it's a 2012 Blinc and pristine) since I needed a helmet the next day to go buy; I'll replace it with a Shoei GT Air soon..

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 27, 2016

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Slavvy posted:

I think it's much uglier than the previous version. Also the exhaust has gone from being one of the nicest looking factory setups to something that looks like it fell off a 90's bandit 1200, it's terrible. Just a giant plain cylinder.

The stock exhaust is the only sticking point for me on the '14+. It does look awful. The aftermarket can fix that, though.

Another reason why I just bought a 6th-gen :)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

frame sliders and unwanted ninja 500's.

Get some good hand gaurds. You would be surprised what they protect from. On my sumo, they basically prop the bike up off the ground when it falls, so having something like the traditional frame slider pegs on the side of the bike isn't really a thing. Get some sliders for the swingarm and fork axles, I guess, but those are more for hooligans stunting about. Some white hand guards or whatever would look totally rad, too.

Get a rack for it, though. And a proper headlight. Then ride the hell out of it.

Nobody wants a ninja 500 like nobody wants a ninja 250 or GS500. Most people think they are boring and ugly, and the ninja 500 doesn't even have the "sub 2k/1500" thing going for it in people's minds. Those pictures with the fairings off are stunning, though. I'd totally ride one of those. Apparently the front fairing is unsupported and cracks off pretty easily in a fall, and is a problem with them.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Coydog posted:

Get some good hand gaurds. You would be surprised what they protect from. On my sumo, they basically prop the bike up off the ground when it falls, so having something like the traditional frame slider pegs on the side of the bike isn't really a thing. Get some sliders for the swingarm and fork axles, I guess, but those are more for hooligans stunting about. Some white hand guards or whatever would look totally rad, too.

Cheap sliders: it couldn' hoit. :rimshot:

But handguards definitely, the TW forum appears to favor the $50 Emgos.

quote:

Get a rack for it, though. And a proper headlight. Then ride the hell out of it.

Again TW forum seems to hands-down favor the Cyclerack, but they're like $200 new and look a little dorky, but I suppose would be good for grocery runs (get tie-down straps or a mesh netting for the rack?). Also apparently they catch really well if the bike drops, so even people who oppose sliders recommend them as drop-guards.

For "proper headlight" do I need to replace the whole assembly, or what drops in? What's wrong with the stock one?

I wouldn't mind a fuckoff loud horn though; the fey little *beep* most bikes make is annoying, if a milf in an SUV starts to cut me off without signalling I want to make a sound like the Titanic about to nail an iceberg.

quote:

Nobody wants a ninja 500 like nobody wants a ninja 250 or GS500. Most people think they are boring and ugly, and the ninja 500 doesn't even have the "sub 2k/1500" thing going for it in people's minds. Those pictures with the fairings off are stunning, though. I'd totally ride one of those. Apparently the front fairing is unsupported and cracks off pretty easily in a fall, and is a problem with them.

They're ugly as gently caress with fairings, but absurdly better without them. I know the Ninja 650R was offered naked, though looks silly wasp-like, but Kawasaki wasted good plastic to ruin the look of their 500 bikes by 60%+. My co-founder might need a bike to keep in WA state and use 20% of the year since our partner company is in a rural county, so I'm looking to strongly push him to a Ninja 500 and strip it. No law-abiding man needs more than 64hp, and it'd be a company asset anyway (if dumbass finally breaks down and takes the Advanced Rider course so he can get an M on his license).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cheap sliders: it couldn' hoit. :rimshot:
Yes, but what I'm saying is they won't help, either. Dirtbike geometry means that the forks and handlebars ARE your "frame sliders" for your intents and purposes. Yes I know actual frame sliders help the bike slide along with protecting the frame and tank but they don't always and that's another discussion entirely. You are looking for what most people look for in sliders- bumpers for when it dumps at reasonably low speed so no damage happens (except the bars).

That's why they don't MAKE THEM. If anything, your bars are going to absorb the shock of falling, and may or may not bend the first time. The forks will tweak to the side, which you will need to fix. Then you will buy some stronger pro taper bars, maybe even 1", and be fine.

For "proper headlight" do I need to replace the whole assembly, or what drops in? What's wrong with the stock one?

I wouldn't mind a fuckoff loud horn though; the fey little *beep* most bikes make is annoying, if a milf in an SUV starts to cut me off without signalling I want to make a sound like the Titanic about to nail an iceberg.

Just a drop in. Despite my current experience with cyclops, it turns your dim terrible rectangle headlight into like... the sun. It's a cheap upgrade. That doesn't change the look of the bike, and will be all you really need.
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

There are also amazing horns for like $50, so that would be good too.

Be careful, you are already on the road to infinite farkles.