Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Killing Floor 2: if it feels good nerf it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Is anyone still playing Killing Floor 1? I had a great time with that, years ago, and still have a pretty high-level Commando, I think. Hanging back and popping trash mob heads like zits while the rest of the team filled their niches was meditative, almost.

Basically, from following this thread for months and watching how badly Tripwire has managed to gently caress up their own game makes we wonder if dropping back into KF1 would be a nice palette-cleanser.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Trying to level up on stalkers being mowed down by the firebug was super frustrating

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Commando was the absolute most tedious to level in KF1.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

It was super tedious to get to lvl 4, but lvl 5 and 6 came really quickly compared to previous levels. For some reason.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Kf1 got a bunch of really bonkers guns and stuff dropped on it in the run up to kf2's release so balance wise it is way way way worse than kf2 right now.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Coolguye posted:

Kf1 got a bunch of really bonkers guns and stuff dropped on it in the run up to kf2's release so balance wise it is way way way worse than kf2 right now.

Awwww, poo poo :( So, it's basically just as much of a poo poo-show as KF2 is, right now?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

null_pointer posted:

Awwww, poo poo :( So, it's basically just as much of a poo poo-show as KF2 is, right now?
I'd argue it's more fun broken rather than KF2's stupid broken.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was playing Commando earlier since I 25'd Sharpshooter. First time playing the class in months and it feels broken as gently caress. The perk choices make barely any sense and the first two rifles feel practically useless.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
For all it's missteps, KF2's leveling scheme is still better than being required to jump through hoops for your levels in KF1 :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

Like?

Flare pistols and maybe the buzzsaw bow?

Seriously KF1 is awesome and still remains good.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Alteisen posted:

Seriously KF1 is awesome and still remains good.
Yeah, also playing demo is a joy

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I was hoping this patch would undo a lot of Tripwire's bad decisions. As we can now see, it didn't. It's still very clear that Tripwire is hellbent on keeping an obtuse resistance system in the game, and, as usual, only pays lip service to the idea that they're responding to player concerns.

Did nobody in this thread learn anything from the complete and utter shitshow that RO2 was post-beta? My thought during the KF2 beta was "This seems pretty fun but knowing Tripwire it'll just be KF1 in a new engine and Tripwire will gently caress it up somehow."

Glad to see I was correct and didn't pay money for it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

null_pointer posted:

Insert name here posted:

I'd argue it's more fun broken rather than KF2's stupid broken.

i'd generally agree with this. if you don't go into kf1 expecting a well balanced survival horde shooter and instead expecting a drunken zombie slaughter then you're gonna have a good time. but that's generally not what people are expecting when leaving kf2 so it's worth talking about.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
KF 2 is basically Game of Thrones if your expectations were your favorite characters that get ruthlessly murdered one by one.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Did nobody in this thread learn anything from the complete and utter shitshow that RO2 was post-beta? My thought during the KF2 beta was "This seems pretty fun but knowing Tripwire it'll just be KF1 in a new engine and Tripwire will gently caress it up somehow."

Glad to see I was correct and didn't pay money for it.

Some people probably did, but this is my first Tripwire experience. I'm sure that's true for a lot of other people as well.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Some people probably did, but this is my first Tripwire experience. I'm sure that's true for a lot of other people as well.
It was my first Tripwire game. It was fun and I got my money's worth, but I'm disappointed with the direction the game has taken, and don't see myself ever returning or recommending it to friends. It's a shame.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Elysiume posted:

It was my first Tripwire game. It was fun and I got my money's worth, but I'm disappointed with the direction the game has taken, and don't see myself ever returning or recommending it to friends. It's a shame.

That's another good point. Game seemed promising at launch, but Tripwire has since been unable to stop making big and unnecessary revisions.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
KF1 is infinitely superior because there were modders that realised that people play games for fun instead of ~epic video game survival stories~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtBjGinfegw

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Reallycoolname posted:

KF1 is infinitely superior because there were modders that realised that people play games for fun instead of ~epic video game survival stories~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtBjGinfegw

Until I guess hell freezes over and Tripwire somehow manages to unfuck KF2, my review will basically be "Buy KF1 as its not only finished, but still fun".

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I played a great fantastic round of KF1 yesterday that we lost on wave 9 of 10 because im bad and - as a maxed lvl 6 support - couldn't protect a couple of beginners that had been doing really well from a triple FP spawn and it was an infinitely more memorable and enjoyable "epic video game not-survival story" than any frustrating game-over i remember from KF2.

So yeah, KF1 and Payday 2 got me covered until this mess is eventually sorted out.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 27, 2016

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

90 minutes. I know that 3 medics, berserker, sharpshooter and a commando is not the optimal setup for a Sui Hans, but goddamn that took WAYYYY too long. Obviously the first people to die were the non-Medics (on the second phase), so we had over half hour of frantically running around trying to plink away Hans lifebar. Even though we were all kitted out head to toe in our top gear, we still had to scramble around the map for the random guns and ammo spawns.
Also Hans decided he wanted to rip two people to shreds with glowing melee attacks during his third shield phase, is this a Sui thing or did he just gently caress up?

Another thing:
Tripwire is pursuing new ideas for refining perks before release, namely Firebug and Medic. I am gonna be posting in those threads and I encourage you to do so, cause there are so many bad ideas on the TWI forums (like disabling dart auto-aim) we have to offset them somehow.

PS: In this post Munk says that they're tackling the problem of knockback being too strong, and that in the internal build they have now, stomping on Zed heads (Crawlers and Clots) will stumble them, which sounds good and hillarous.
Basically Munk is now a very active Tripwire poster in the Forums, a lot more than Yoshiro ever was, so I'm thinking that TWI is actually looking to hear some player feedback this time.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Kikas posted:

bad ideas on the TWI forums (like disabling dart auto-aim)

If these are the sort of players that TWI is listening too, it explains the downward spiral the game has been on.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If they get rid of dart auto aim I don't even know how I'd adequately let my displeasure be known. I don't even play medic.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Having to aim those flakey rear end darts in KF1 sucked. Auto aim darts is probably the best QoL improvement KF 2 made.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Is this something they're actually considering? It would be a stupid loving change but i wouldn't be surprised.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kris xK posted:

Is this something they're actually considering? It would be a stupid loving change but i wouldn't be surprised.

Darts missing increases the probability of an epik clutch for Youtube because of teammates dying faster, so yes.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hitting people with darts was rough in KF1 and you're WAY more mobile in this game, removing the auto aim would be a loving terrible idea.

Honestly Tripwire should just release the game and keep updating it like they did KF1, stop trying to refine poo poo.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I'm trying to comprehend the twisted mind of someone who thinks that robbing medics of their dart auto aim would make the game better but I cannot.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well if you're playing KF2 your aim is good enough to click heads and there's no autoaim and therefor the darts and, and, and :spergin:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

RottenK posted:

I'm trying to comprehend the twisted mind of someone who thinks that robbing medics of their dart auto aim would make the game better but I cannot.

I can only imagine if said person is an idiot and doesn't recognize that medic darts aren't lag compensated and so they would generally miss or outright not register about a half of the time. Like in KF1 for example. And so they think that because it's auto-aimed, it would take more "skill" to use if it was turned off.

But that would require Tripwire to listen to the whims of an idiot who understands nothing about the game, vouching for making the game significantly worse for the sake of artificially increased "challenge," which they would never...

Huh.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
I played Medic most of the time in KF1 and yeah, darts without lock/auto-aim are a pain in the rear end. Hell, when I'm trying to grind up my teammates' armor in KF2 and the darts don't lock on because their health is already full, it's pretty iffy. About half of the time I fire a dart just as a teammate moves, so I either get right up next to them or tell them to stand still. If you want to see what KF2 darts are like without lock-on it's not hard to try it out, and the answer is that they are pretty tough to use. Either Medics would have to git real, real gud or Tripwire would have to increase dart recharge rate to compensate for all of the darts flying off into nowhere.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=118541

They're looking for HoE feedback.

Make it harder seems to be the consensus. :ughh:

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
Make guns break like Far Cry 2.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=118541

They're looking for HoE feedback.

Make it harder seems to be the consensus. :ughh:

Some Dumb loving Sperg posted:

What I'd expect of the difficulty levels, more or less, is:

*On Normal to get to the boss and beat it
*On Hard to get to the boss but usually fail it
*On Suicidal to get to wave 5/7 roughly and die there
*On Hell on Earth to get to maybe wave 2/7 and die there

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Sounds like a great way to tank the userbase real fast.

Also, $10 says he hasn't played past Hard.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I haven't been able to post on TWI for a year or so because their forum database is all hosed up. Can some of you kind souls tell these poo poo tards to not balance their entire game around HoE autists feedback?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Skoll posted:

I haven't been able to post on TWI for a year or so because their forum database is all hosed up. Can some of you kind souls tell these poo poo tards to not balance their entire game around HoE autists feedback?

It would take a group to shut down the "6-man HOE long or BUST" autists.

Hope you enjoy the game getting even more obnoxious!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's fine for HoE to be painful so if the hardcore spergs want that to be their secret treefort for them to theorycraft and be happy being their toxic selves then i say it's a small price to pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Coolguye posted:

it's fine for HoE to be painful so if the hardcore spergs want that to be their secret treefort for them to theorycraft and be happy being their toxic selves then i say it's a small price to pay

That sounds good in theory, but you know some of these changes are going to bleed out into the rest of the difficulties. Screwing up is what Tripwire does best.