Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the flag industry is booming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

Hahaha what?

She's resigned as PPS to Lucy Powell, who already quit yesterday.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

So I guess he just chucked the idea of a compromise cabinet out the window then?

Justifiably so. I really hope this the start of a new, harder Corbyn with less taking of poo poo from the PLP and more sending Tom Watson and/or Dennis Skinner round to people's houses to menace them into toeing the loving line.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

sebzilla posted:

Justifiably so. I really hope this the start of a new, harder Corbyn with less taking of poo poo from the PLP and more sending Tom Watson and/or Dennis Skinner round to people's houses to menace them into toeing the loving line.

Not sure Watson's on side though. He's keeping his cards close.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really would like to see what damage a fully armed and operational shadow cabinet can do to the government instead of one that descends into bickering every time something happens.

OvineYeast posted:

He seems to hate tories a lot which is good enough.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

OvineYeast posted:

He's backing his leader, which is good enough.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

sebzilla posted:

He's backing his leader, which is good enough.

I don't think so - at least, the only statement I've seen was intentionally ambiguous.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
FTSE 250 dropping steadily now.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

OvineYeast posted:

Watson will be on side if Corbyn wins this. For now he's hedging his bets.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Sun's going full fash.

Jesus. We're getting near the end game here. We should have killed Murdoch while he was still in Scotland.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Crowsbeak posted:

Just give the country over to the Scots.

I don't care who does, but someone needs to reunite the British Isles. And why do you have 5 different national soccer teams, whose dumb idea was that?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Maoist Pussy posted:

I don't care who does, but someone needs to reunite the British Isles. And why do you have 5 different national soccer teams, whose dumb idea was that?

We have 4. The yokels in the republic only exist in principle.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Oberleutnant posted:

Sun's going full fash.

I woke up on monday morning and it still wasn't all a terrible dream.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

More resignations. Can they not just all gently caress off at once?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ultragonk posted:

Could union jacks not fly high before? Was there some sort of EU force field that stopped them being put up?

Only in Northern Ireland.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All these people resigning got the Remain voice out loud and clear in their constituencies I take it?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

sebzilla posted:

More resignations. Can they not just all gently caress off at once?

Nah, they'll want to dominate the news cycle for at least today and maybe tomorrow with "CABINET CRISIS" so that Corbyn's answer doesn't get a look in. Which is conveniently also what the media are after (spectacle and whining).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Also this, we don't really have a "boss" of the country, or rather our boss is technically the queen. The PM is the de-facto leader of his/her majesty's government, and the position itself doesn't really date back that far, their official title is First Lord of the Treasury.

I love how 'not that far back' in our country predates the United States :shobon:

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

Nah, they'll want to dominate the news cycle for at least today and maybe tomorrow with "CABINET CRISIS" so that Corbyn's answer doesn't get a look in. Which is conveniently also what the media are after (spectacle and whining).

It may be the strategy that inflicts maximum damage on Corbyn but it's also the strategy that inflicts maximum damage on the reputation of the party. Which, let's be honest, wasn't amazing to begin with. It's utterly reprehensible, even on their own terms.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

All these people resigning got the Remain voice out loud and clear in their constituencies I take it?

If so, they're personally responsible for it. If not, CorbOut!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So how quickly can a reluctant Corbyn be forcibly replaced? I'm really captured by this Chilcot report theory, that the Blairites want to toss him before Corbyn can denounce Blair in Parliament. I mean you need to organize a new election and there might be wrangling whether Corbyn can be on the ballot or not, surely that and the election itself will burn a fortnight, even if they were able to get the ball rolling right away?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Chilcot's out soon isn't it. I don't think I ever thought it'd probably only make page 4 in a newspaper but then again, I didn't think the last week would happen either.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Antti posted:

So how quickly can a reluctant Corbyn be forcibly replaced? I'm really captured by this Chilcot report theory, that the Blairites want to toss him before Corbyn can denounce Blair in Parliament. I mean you need to organize a new election and there might be wrangling whether Corbyn can be on the ballot or not, surely that and the election itself will burn a fortnight, even if they were able to get the ball rolling right away?

An ousted Corbyn doesn't speak for the party once he's gone

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Ballot decision will go to the NEC, which Corbyn narrowly controls. He'll get on it. The whole thing will take longer than the Chilcott release though and Chilcott's likely to seriously boost Corbyn's support.

The resignations are staggered because they want to force Corbyn to resign. That's the only way they'll win, they're desperate to force him into a position where he leaves of his own accord, because they know there's no other way to get him to go.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Lady in Cornwall sure money EU sent them will be covered by the uk government because Gove and Johnson signed a letter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fortunately our lad is digging his heels in and telling them to get hosed, which I hope he continues.

ShredsYouSay posted:

Lady in Cornwall sure money EU sent them will be covered by the uk government because Gove and Johnson signed a letter.

Did they make a vow?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Antti posted:

I honestly don't think he can. He's digging his heels in and drawing up a cabinet of loyalists instead of PLP and there might not be enough for a vote of no confidence otherwise they'd have pushed that through first. The whole point of resigning was to force him to step down and he responded by sacking the person leading the charge. Plus from the looks of things after the legal check they'd have to put him back on the ballot for another leadership election.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

OwlFancier posted:

Fortunately our lad is digging his heels in and telling them to get hosed, which I hope he continues.

It shows how he's different to, any other politician would have given up by now confident they'd be looked after and their ideology more of less continues. Corbyn's got a lot more at stake, if he goes the Left is never getting power in Labour again. He's the final hail mary of the Left to actually make Labour not poo poo and we even get a big dramatic final battle over the parties soul.

Luckily this is the sort of poo poo he lives for, so I think we'll be fine.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If they mount a leadership challenge and don't put Corbs on the ballot it'll kill the Labour party dead. Now, I'm not saying that the Blairite chucklefucks in the PLP aren't dumb enough to try something like that, but hopefully the rest of the party will beat them back and then deselect the fuckers.

Mr N
Oct 20, 2010
It's at least a little reassuring that a lot of the Corbyn loyalists came in at the last election. Hopefully means there are some new blood lefties coming into the party.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
if this keeps up even you could serve in shadow cabinet by week's end

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Cerebral Bore posted:

If they mount a leadership challenge and don't put Corbs on the ballot it'll kill the Labour party dead. Now, I'm not saying that the Blairite chucklefucks in the PLP aren't dumb enough to try something like that, but hopefully the rest of the party will beat them back and then deselect the fuckers.

I think they'd do it if they could. They've got a legal briefing on it, so they're clearly considering it. The NEC is going to put him on there though, which might be a better reason for why they're doing this now than Chilcott. If they wait till July the NEC will confirm Corbyn has to be on there, if they can force an Election now the rules are less clear.

At this point they seem determined to try blow up the party rather than let Corbyn have it. Not a surprise, Tony Blair pretty much said that back before Corbyn got elected.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Birdstrike posted:

I would be up for that job, give me an MP's salary and let me yell about how poo poo tories are for a living and I'll leave my current job in a heartbeat.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Mr N posted:

It's at least a little reassuring that a lot of the Corbyn loyalists came in at the last election. Hopefully means there are some new blood lefties coming into the party.

One of the good things about Ed Miliband (also the hilarious backfiring voting reform)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

If Corbs wants to give me a seat in the Lords so I can serve as Shadow Minister for Shitposting I won't complain.

https://twitter.com/PeteWishart/status/747337723648737281?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Birdstrike posted:

Flaps for shadow minister imo. Think of the fun in PMQs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also bet I could beat Corbyn in the parliamentary bearding championship.

Wildstrike
Apr 8, 2007

I will gladly pay you my soul Tuesday, for a glut to the longing of my heart's desire today...

Fans posted:

It shows how he's different to, any other politician would have given up by now confident they'd be looked after and their ideology more of less continues. Corbyn's got a lot more at stake, if he goes the Left is never getting power in Labour again. He's the final hail mary of the Left to actually make Labour not poo poo and we even get a big dramatic final battle over the parties soul.

Luckily this is the sort of poo poo he lives for, so I think we'll be fine.

Unless he's got three dragons and he sets the Blairites on fire and strides out of the flames naked or an army of ents or something then I don't really see how he can win the war when it comes to making the Labour party not poo poo. If the anti-Corbyn lot lose this battle they don't go anywhere, they just go on the backbenches to concoct some other party wrecking incompetent ploy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

darkwasthenight posted:

Flaps for shadow minister imo. Think of the fun in PMQs.

I think this counts as a terrorist threat against Parliament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Looks like today will be quite a day...

• Locked thread