Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Defiance posted:

I guess the question for me that springs to mind from all of this, and it's a question that's marginally more on-point, is how much of modern political discourse is being driven by mental illness? Is Milo acting out because he genuinely believes in the cause or is he compelled to become the center of attention because of some deeper underlying personal problem? Same goes for Trump.

Is there a line that either of them could cross that would get them 5150'd? Where is the line?

It's been at the point since the 1960's and increasing since then that, with the definition of "mental illness" so expanded, you can call anything you don't like or agree with the product of mental illness. Read Thomas Szasz for starters. Or don't idc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZR58d77a4A

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it's pathological

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
It seems like Szasz is taking things to the extreme. He doesn't believe in mental illness at all. A lot of diagnostic tools have come around since he published his work. For instance, it's my understanding that schizophrenia and OCD can be diagnosed with a brain scan.

On the other extreme you have someone like Prester Jane, who seems pretty comfortable diagnosing Trump based on his public persona -- which may or may not be in line with how he behaves in his private life. She has even gone so far as to predict a meltdown when Trump finally loses.

Caught in the middle is poor (?) Dinesh D'Souza, who had to undergo mandatory therapy as a result of his conviction for bundling money improperly. His views are pretty out there, but I don't necessarily think they merit psychological treatment.

I haven't really drawn any conclusions, but this discussion is making me wonder how many of you fuckers are certifiable IRL.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it's cool to humiliate desouza in any and all ways possible imo

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Defiance posted:

It seems like Szasz is taking things to the extreme. He doesn't believe in mental illness at all. A lot of diagnostic tools have come around since he published his work. For instance, it's my understanding that schizophrenia and OCD can be diagnosed with a brain scan.

On the other extreme you have someone like Prester Jane, who seems pretty comfortable diagnosing Trump based on his public persona -- which may or may not be in line with how he behaves in his private life. She has even gone so far as to predict a meltdown when Trump finally loses.

Caught in the middle is poor (?) Dinesh D'Souza, who had to undergo mandatory therapy as a result of his conviction for bundling money improperly. His views are pretty out there, but I don't necessarily think they merit psychological treatment.

I haven't really drawn any conclusions, but this discussion is making me wonder how many of you fuckers are certifiable IRL.
“If you talk to God, you are praying; If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.”

“Schizophrenia is defined so vaguely that, in actuality, it is a term often applied to almost any kind of behavior of which the speaker disapproves.”

“If schizophrenia…turns out to have a biochemical cause and cure, schizophrenia would no longer be one of the diseases for which a person would be involuntarily committed. In fact, it would then be treated by neurologists, and psychiatrists then have no more to do with it than they do with Glioblastoma [malignant tumor], Parkinsonism, and other diseases of the brain.”

“‘Mental illness’ is an expression, a metaphor that describes an offending, disturbing, shocking, or vexing conduct, action, or pattern of behavior, such as schizophrenia, as an ‘illness’ or disease.”

Also this ought to be read widely

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Szasz/myth.htm

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
After much deliberation, those most likely to be Tautologicus if it is not NML are, in this order:

Maoist Pussy
DrPlump
Ork of Fiction
Baloogan
Oiled & Ready

Maoist Pussy and Dr Plump are under HIGH SUSPICION

If you wish to assist in nailing the perp, items of note:

Tautologicus had a posting hiatus from August 30th 2015 to June 24th 2016 at 1:21AM

Baloogan is under suspicion for this post less than 20 minutes after his probation and Kissinger's:
3:46AM Tautologicus:
"Like Baloogan is getting probated for the benefit of who exactly"

DrPlump is under suspicion for getting banned for the first time in a decade (MRA Bullshit) on 9/30/13, just 4 days before Tautologicus first registered

All suspected parties have posted in threads in multiple forums besides YCS in conversation with Tautologicus and have some similar speech patterns.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
One might say this isn't the thread for this...but in fact, within every thread i've ever talked about this i've been shut down, so i no longer see any distinction between this thread and another thread when discussing thomas szasz or the roots of the term mental illness.

Oiled and Ready posted:

After much deliberation, those most likely to be Tautologicus if it is not NML are, in this order:

Maoist Pussy
DrPlump
Ork of Fiction
Baloogan
Oiled & Ready

Maoist Pussy and Dr Plump are under HIGH SUSPICION

If you wish to assist in nailing the perp, items of note:

Tautologicus had a posting hiatus from August 30th 2015 to June 24th 2016 at 1:21AM

Baloogan is under suspicion for this post less than 20 minutes after his probation and Kissinger's:
3:46AM Tautologicus:
"Like Baloogan is getting probated for the benefit of who exactly"

DrPlump is under suspicion for getting banned for the first time in a decade (MRA Bullshit) on 9/30/13, just 4 days before Tautologicus first registered

All suspected parties have posted in threads in multiple forums besides YCS in conversation with Tautologicus and have some similar speech patterns.

lol, I am NML 1, 2 and 5, and I honestly 100% did not post on this website from August 2015 to March 2016.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
its true im Tautologicus

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
no wait im actually not, sorry.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Tautologicus posted:

One might say this isn't the thread for this...but in fact, within every thread i've ever talked about this i've been shut down, so i no longer see any distinction between this thread and another thread when discussing thomas szasz or the roots of the term mental illness.

lol, I am NML 1, 2 and 5, and I honestly 100% did not post on this website from August 2015 to March 2016.

So you registered this account a few years ago solely to troll ask/tell and now it is the only account you have left, right

checks out

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Baloogan posted:

no wait im actually not, sorry.

You protest too much, how many other accounts do you have that have posts in YCS besides Kissinger and Baloogan

I'm guessing at least 2 more

Henry Kissinger
May 17, 2016

by Shine
I plead the fifth.

I don't recall.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Oiled and Ready posted:

So you registered this account a few years ago solely to troll ask/tell and now it is the only account you have left, right

checks out

I registered to post in Nu-GBS and then i just kinda fell into trolling A/T as a side gig, and yes

Henry Kissinger
May 17, 2016

by Shine
I'm rather certain that we're all Oiled and Ready alternate accounts.

Henry Kissinger
May 17, 2016

by Shine
I'm not quite sure why I'm maintaining Sec. Kissinger's impeccable grammar and spelling, but it's all part of the character.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Henry Kissinger posted:

I'm not quite sure why I'm maintaining Sec. Kissinger's impeccable grammar and spelling, but it's all part of the character.

Baloogan can keep up his grammar and spelling even when he's drunk, to the point there are several documented late nights where Baloogan can't spell 3 words correctly in a row even as Kissinger posts impeccably.

But Trump can't modulate his vocabulary to be dumber on command, nope, even though he's always sober. Instead, Baloogan is some sort of savant and no one else can possibly play multiple characters.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
its hard work postinking this poorly

u try it somtime

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
actualy it isn't you just have to ignore all the red squigglies lol

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Baloogan posted:

actualy it isn't you just have to ignore all the red squigglies lol

purposefully posting mass typos in order to reflect your actual level of drunkenness is your biggest flaw imo

even when I'm wasted I don't do the Baloogan

tgbe baloofan being when you kin fo just tgype with the level of efeort you owuld sober

-----

Hey Baloogan

---

QUIT VICE SIGNALING

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
no

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im just lazy when i type and dont go back and correct things. i prob type worst when sober and i really only had 2 drinks tonight im stone cold sober

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
New policy speech tomorrow, so get ready for TelemprompTrump--

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/747378619773747201

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Dogstoyevsky posted:

New policy speech tomorrow, so get ready for TelemprompTrump--

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/747378619773747201

Expect it to be on globalization and free trade. Wiki says that town essentially got destroyed when the steel mill sold out to Severstal and then AG a few years ago.

Getting some momentum in the rust belt would be a good thing to do in the few weeks before the convention considering he definitely isn't going to pull back to a tie nationally during this period. Might as well attempt to consolidate the white unionized working class or what's left of it.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got drunk last night to enhance my Trump posts, but then I started reading about economics and fell asleep.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FabioClone posted:

I got drunk last night to enhance my Trump posts, but then I started reading about economics and fell asleep.

I wasn't that enthusiastic writing those myself..just kinda phoning it in. but the people deserve to know

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seriously, though. Don't drink rum and try to read about the financial markets. I regret my choices.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
gas thread

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Oiled and Ready posted:

Expect it to be on globalization and free trade. Wiki says that town essentially got destroyed when the steel mill sold out to Severstal and then AG a few years ago.

Getting some momentum in the rust belt would be a good thing to do in the few weeks before the convention considering he definitely isn't going to pull back to a tie nationally during this period. Might as well attempt to consolidate the white unionized working class or what's left of it.

As long as he's bringing back JoePa, he might as well resurrect the steel mills, amirite?

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

Liddle Marco's gonna shiv Trump's immigration agenda--

quote:

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) said he would try to derail Donald Trump’s signature proposal to ban Muslim immigrants from the U.S. if he wins reelection to his Florida senate seat.

“That’s not a real proposal,” Rubio told CBS’ “Face the Nation” on Sunday. “It’s not something that’s going to happen.”

Rubio told "Face the Nation" that he also opposed Trump’s plan to deport 11 million undocumented immigrants, saying it would be impossible to carry out.

"The reality of it is, you can't do it," he said. "You can't round up and deport 11 million people. There are people that need to be deported. Criminals need to be deported. But you can't round up and deport 11, ten, nine million people. The American people wouldn't stand for it once they saw what it would take to make that happen."

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Liddle Marco's gonna shiv Trump's immigration agenda--

I'm the "GOP moderate" who actually plans on running on the platform of "you can't do that terrible thing! No, really, I'd like to do it as much as you, but you cannot. It is too arduous and expensive. You gotta set realistic goals when it comes to being an rear end in a top hat. Start small, work your way up, genocide isn't for amateurs!"

I have no idea what voter group is being targeted by Ryan's recent pivot to "I know you want to stomp the puppy to death, but maybe just kick the puppy. It's more sustainable.", but I know this is good news... FOR NEHLEN!

EDIT: Marco reboot is such a transparent Paul Ryanbot that I forgot who I was insulting halfway through. If that was the goal...congrats?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm thinking Amateur Economist

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It really is an art tho to have bad opinion s about everything.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
Rubio's position on immigration has always been less horrible than expected. For instance, in the Gang of Eight -- where he was the most conservative member negotiating -- he agreed that there should be a path to amnesty, but only if the immigrant had been in the country for 5 years. Rubio also caved on a provision that would allow the previously-deported to return and petition for citizenship.

It's like his sole humane issue.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

Oiled and Ready posted:

I have no idea what voter group is being targeted by Ryan's recent pivot to "I know you want to stomp the puppy to death, but maybe just kick the puppy. It's more sustainable.", but I know this is good news... FOR NEHLEN!

EDIT: Marco reboot is such a transparent Paul Ryanbot that I forgot who I was insulting halfway through. If that was the goal...congrats?

Hm, maybe politics involves a certain amount of compromise and coalition-building, and Trump's approach of delivering hilarious supa slams to everyone else in the GOP would make his hypothetical presidency extremely unproductive?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One of the positive aspects of Trump's candidacy is that he revealed Paul Ryan to be the effete beta that I always suspected him to be. Bro do you even whip.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Zelder posted:

*looking at another person* "haha I'm willing to bet half of my all my cumulative things that I definitely won't get tired of you"

I mean, respect to people who make that gamble, I'm just not there yet.

Ten year anni in October and my relationship works but I can see why they're more likely to fail then they aren't.

It's an antiquated social concept that does not make sense for a lot of modern people's lifestyles and encourages long term decisions that frequently don't work out. People who feel pressured to get married before they're 30 end up getting into relationships with people they don't have compatible goals with, they end up resenting each other, they crap out some kids to try to repair the damage and then it either ends spectacularly and ruins everyone's lives or lasts for decades until you finally learn to stand each other in your 60s. Marriage today is like Church in the 80s. I suspect attendance to be down in the coming decades accordingly.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Hm, maybe politics involves a certain amount of compromise and coalition-building, and Trump's approach of delivering hilarious supa slams to everyone else in the GOP would make his hypothetical presidency extremely unproductive?

He's slowly trying to knock all the has-beens out of the party and turn it into his party. He doesn't need to build coalitions with Sad! losers. Their days are numbered

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Shout out to zdr for starting off nite crew with getting taut to admit to a symptom of autism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

How can a man be his age and still not self-aware?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/747240949370261504

And this really is the meme campaign.

• Locked thread