Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Iron Crowned posted:

Considering I live in the greater Cincinnati area, I'm surprised there aren't more protesters.

I really should have taken off work and went downtown. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "You want to see goofy, look at him in that hat." ~ Senator Professor Warren, sometimes referred to as Pocahontas.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

logikv9 posted:

eh i don't see the brexit having a meaningful impact on the election, outside of a massive recession / depression that directly hits the US with serious force. it's distant enough that most people will form opinions based on what they hear, and what they hear depends entirely on who is telling them. you have bits in the media talking about how the UK just shot itself and is wondering why the bullet hurt so much, and on the other side they will link it to immigration control, sovereignty, and freedom :911:

just preaching to the choir basically, except this can be used to sum up basically american politics in general

It could scare some voters who thought they could sit on the sidelines because "there is no way Trump will win the general election".

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

logikv9 posted:

eh i don't see the brexit having a meaningful impact on the election, outside of a massive recession / depression that directly hits the US with serious force. it's distant enough that most people will form opinions based on what they hear, and what they hear depends entirely on who is telling them. you have bits in the media talking about how the UK just shot itself and is wondering why the bullet hurt so much, and on the other side they will link it to immigration control, sovereignty, and freedom :911:

just preaching to the choir basically, except this can be used to sum up basically american politics in general

Normally I'd say yes, Americans rightfully don't give a gently caress about the internal squabbles of a bunch of stagnant former empires but this one does directly 1:1 correlate with loving up GETTING THAT PAPER, a concept that Americans of all stripes hold sacrosanct

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
It doesn't matter how the MSM reports on Brexit, when the pm quits and tells his successor to pull the trigger himself ("you fucker" implied), and anyone who is considering the position immediately start walking it back... while public perception continues to harden in the UK...

Brexit isn't helping Trump or anyone else in politics

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Jonked posted:

It could certainly help Hillary/Obama who said "I told you so."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jonked posted:

It doesn't matter how the MSM reports on Brexit, when the pm quits and tells his successor to pull the trigger himself ("you fucker" implied), and anyone who is considering the position immediately start walking it back... while public perception continues to harden in the UK...

It's helping the government up for re-election here (Australia), because they can run with a "don't mess with things during a period of instability" line

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CommanderApaul posted:

I really should have taken off work and went downtown. :(

I considered it, but I need money to live

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Jonked posted:

See this is the part I agree with logic on, nobody in the US gives enough of a poo poo about uk politics to care who the pm is

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tautologicus posted:

You really misunderstand everything Szasz is saying. He never says the symptoms are imaginary. What's mythological is the way we package those symptoms when we talk about them. Read the essay again, otherwise you're doing yourself a disservice by typing so much at strawmen

We package these symptoms together because the symptoms are common and so are the treatments. Most of these packages have proven accurate over the last few decades as the science around mental health has started to solidify, and the ones that haven't worked out (asperger's syndrome, etc) have either been declassified as mental illnesses or re-packaged.

Everything Szasz says is based on the assumption that mental illness isn't a real disease, just a mental state caused by emotional/psychological trauma that needs to be worked through - and can thus, be cured through therapy and behavior modification. This was a very common and popular belief of the era, and it is one that has been proven to be incorrect. Working through emotional trauma and building better coping skills is a very real help for people but DBT doesn't get rid of anxiety disorders, it just makes them manageable. There is a lot we don't know or barely understand about mental illness, but whether or not it is really scientifically a thing is something we are so, so far past at this point.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

logikv9 posted:

On the other hand, the Dow is down 300 this morning and the Euro will probably reach parity with the dollar before this is all said and done. US might not understand or care about the Brexit before UK voted, but financial news has established a clear cause->effect relationship with the referendum and the markets. Old people keep a close eye on their retirement. I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump take a hit in the next round of polling over this.

Although I guess you're right in that it wouldn't shock me to see Trump's numbers jump either, because this election is a shitshow.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mirthless posted:

We package these symptoms together because the symptoms are common and so are the treatments. Most of these packages have proven accurate over the last few decades as the science around mental health has started to solidify, and the ones that haven't worked out (asperger's syndrome, etc) have either been declassified as mental illnesses or re-packaged.

Everything Szasz says is based on the assumption that mental illness isn't a real disease, just a mental state caused by emotional/psychological trauma that needs to be worked through - and can thus, be cured through therapy and behavior modification. This was a very common and popular belief of the era, and it is one that has been proven to be incorrect. Working through emotional trauma and building better coping skills is a very real help for people but DBT doesn't get rid of anxiety disorders, it just makes them manageable. There is a lot we don't know or barely understand about mental illness, but whether or not it is really scientifically a thing is something we are so, so far past at this point.

If you say so

Pulled this up in a couple seconds on google...check their Table 1

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2950973/

You're still wrong about Szasz thinks by the way. He doesn't think they necessarily need to be cured, or even if that word is even relevant. Read it again........................................

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 27, 2016

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Defiance posted:

On the other hand, the Dow is down 300 this morning and the Euro will probably reach parity with the dollar before this is all said and done. US might not understand or care about the Brexit before they voted, but financial news has established a clear cause->effect relationship with the referendum and the markets. Old people keep a close eye on their retirement. I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump take a hit in the next round of polling over this.

Although I guess you're right in that it wouldn't shock me to see Trump's numbers jump either, because this election is a shitshow.

The overlap between "angry racists" and "white retirees" is enough that they'll probably be happy to shoot themselves financially in the foot to be able to handwave away "immigrants!"

besides the GBP crashing isn't brexits fault, it's Obama of course

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

sometimes i want to warp to a universe in which i am already dead, no wishy washiness

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are people blaming Trump for things he isn't even president yet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mirthless posted:

Oh definitely, it's my understanding that the most effective modern take on mental illness is to use a combination of medication and therapy. The most sinister part of mental illness itself is that it's "normal" to you. I mean I didn't think the treatments for ADD I started taking were working until about a month in, when I forgot to take my Adderall that morning.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tautologicus posted:

If you say so

You're still wrong about Szasz thinks by the way. He doesn't think they necessarily need to be cured, or even if that word is even relevant. Read it again........................................

So, how do you feel about vaccines?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

zen death robot posted:

thats assuming they care about brexit beyond "loving up my god drat retirement account" (they dont)

yep, awfully hosed up that Obama/Pocahontas hosed up the retirement accounts, ain't it

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

So, how do you feel about vaccines?

Public health is a worthwhile endeavor. I don't think kids should get all their shots at once, that's about as far as I'll go.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
:argh:Pocahontas:argh:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tautologicus posted:

If you say so

This study is specifically related to MDD (which is a catch-all for severe chronic depression with atypical symptoms) and also makes no attempt to state mental illness is not real

What is it that you're trying to prove here?

It sounds to me like you didn't know anything about this subject going into it and you are scrambling to find ground to stand on now that you've been outed as a loving moron for linking to a paper from the 1300s on how flat the earth is supposed to be

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Defiance posted:

Old people keep a close eye on their retirement. I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump take a hit in the next round of polling over this.

This is what's going to keep Trump from trying to spin this into a win. People will overlook at lot , but when you unambiguously support the thing that is making a dent in their pocketbook, you won't be let off the hook. I don't expect this to result in any sharp drop in the polls, but I think you will see the "who do you trust on the economy" start to tick down to 50-50 rather than be firmly in Trump's favor.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tautologicus posted:

You're constantly called wrong on basically everything by everyone, even people who agree with you politically. Consider that you might be mistaken and are reaching conclusions on your own that aren't fully supported by what you're taking in.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mirthless posted:

This study is specifically related to MDD (which is a catch-all for severe chronic depression with atypical symptoms) and also makes no attempt to state mental illness is not real

What is it that you're trying to prove here?

It sounds to me like you didn't know anything about this subject going into it and you are scrambling to find ground to stand on now that you've been outed as a loving moron for linking to a paper from the 1300s on how flat the earth is supposed to be

I was trying to show they have no idea what causes depression in any definitive sense which means they do not know the scientific basis of depression which means you were wrong about everything you said about that. Want me to do the same thing for anxiety and bipolar because I can.

It's a specific worldview they are following, a materialist ("everything starts with the molecules in your brain, man") solidified approach that necessitates people taking drugs by the very basic assumptions it holds about people (born this way, not malleable, what you think doesnt matter, you're hosed up, take the pill).

Szasz is offering another way.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/coming-soon-249997
Bipolar...even naming it "bipolar disorder" is already stepping on the "you're hosed up" train. Szasz's argument has already come in before this point, the entire characterization is the problem, referring to behavioral and emotional discontinuities from baseline society as a medical problem. And here, while they demand that it is referred to as a medical problem, they admit they don't know exactly what is causing it, and they definitely don't know how to "cure" it. As if there's some baseline human tendency in that person just screaming to get out once they are "cured". what if that is who they are.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 27, 2016

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Defiance posted:

On the other hand, the Dow is down 300 this morning and the Euro will probably reach parity with the dollar before this is all said and done. US might not understand or care about the Brexit before UK voted, but financial news has established a clear cause->effect relationship with the referendum and the markets. Old people keep a close eye on their retirement. I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump take a hit in the next round of polling over this.

you need this to hit people directly, your average joe does not care about the pound <> US exchange rate unless they are going to london for a quick vacation. the leave camp is already trying damage control, stating that the economic effects are short-term while all their previously-stated benefits (that they have not yet walked back on) will come eventually. this throws up enough smoke to give each side the benefit of the doubt, an action that will prolong this way beyond our own election.

in november nobody's going to be going to a poll booth for hillary or trump because of the brexit.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

TheTatteredKing posted:

You're constantly called wrong on basically everything by everyone, even people who agree with you politically. Consider that you might be mistaken and are reaching conclusions on your own that aren't fully supported by what you're taking in.

I'm willing to bet his American mother's last name was Dunning and his German father's last name was Kruger.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheTatteredKing posted:

What's it to you?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

logikv9 posted:

in november nobody's going to be going to a poll booth for hillary or trump because of the brexit.

It's definitely not a deciding factor, but it's going to erode trust in Trump's ability to handle the economy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tautologicus posted:

What's it to you?

I can speak for myself, people like you, are the reason mental illness is stigmatized.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

I can speak for myself, people like you, are the reason mental illness is stigmatized.

It should be stigmatized. You think you're hosed up, why shouldn't other people think you're hosed up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tautologicus posted:

I was trying to show they have no idea what causes depression in any definitive sense which means they do not know the scientific basis of depression which means you were wrong about everything you said about that. Want me to do the same thing for anxiety and bipolar because I can.

They don't know the specific scientific basis of what causes one to develop a depressive disorder. They do know the scientific basis of what causes the symptoms of depression.

Please, shatter my world on bipolar disorder, I'd love to hear your pro theory on how bipolar isn't real now because scientists don't know specifically what causes it

quote:

It's a specific worldview they are following, a materialist ("everything starts with the molecules in your brain, man") solidified approach that necessitates people taking drugs by the very basic assumptions it holds about people (born this way, not malleable, what you think doesnt matter, you're hosed up, take the pill).

Szasz is offering another way.

The world of mental health already tried Szasz' other way. For decades. Trying to treat mental diseases as a mental state rather than a disease was a terrible idea and it ruined a lot of lives. You are linking me an article written at a time when we understood nothing - at all - about how the brain worked. You might as well be linking us articles about imbalances of humors or the use of leeches in medicine, these ideas have already long since been discredited and the only circles still floating them are the same people floating all the other alternative medicine woo.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tautologicus posted:

What's it to you?

Your Plato in the cave song and dance is tedious and an eyesore

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

TyrantWD posted:

It's definitely not a deciding factor, but it's going to erode trust in Trump's ability to handle the economy.

it's only going to erode trust in people who were iffy about his economy-handling skills in the first place, the types of people who probably wouldn't have voted for him anyway.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Brexit shouldn't be an issue in the US election. It had nothing to do with us. The only way it might influence a vote is that it is additional evidence that Trump is proudly ignorant of global politics.

Also, predicting that Brexit is a mistake is fine but it's been two business days since the vote and no laws have changed yet. What's happening is just a panic on paper and does not prove the panickers were right.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheTatteredKing posted:

Your Plato in the cave song and dance is tedious and an eyesore

So's your anime avatar but I don't ask you to stop posting

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

logikv9 posted:

you need this to hit people directly, your average joe does not care about the pound <> US exchange rate unless they are going to london for a quick vacation. the leave camp is already trying damage control, stating that the economic effects are short-term while all their previously-stated benefits (that they have not yet walked back on) will come eventually. this throws up enough smoke to give each side the benefit of the doubt, an action that will prolong this way beyond our own election.

Yeah, for what it's worth I think the Euro exchange rate actually matters more than whatever the Pound does. US exports have been hit relatively hard because the dollar has been strong in comparison to other currencies, if those trends continue you'll see continued downward forces on the market that counteract any sort of traditional post-summer bounce. Even if Asia stays as solid as it has been, we'll be looking at lackluster performance in September/October. The saying is "Sell in May and go away."

It might not impact average investors much, but if we don't see a bounce by October CNBC won't shut up about it.

And of course Asia can and does fall apart at the drop of a hat, so we might still have some nasty surprises in store.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Tautologicus posted:

It's a video game avatar which is a nuance a retarded pedant like you should appreciate

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mirthless posted:

They don't know the specific scientific basis of what causes one to develop a depressive disorder. They do know the scientific basis of what causes the symptoms of depression.

Please, shatter my world on bipolar disorder, I'd love to hear your pro theory on how bipolar isn't real now because scientists don't know specifically what causes it

The world of mental health already tried Szasz' other way. For decades. Trying to treat mental diseases as a mental state rather than a disease was a terrible idea and it ruined a lot of lives. You are linking me an article written at a time when we understood nothing - at all - about how the brain worked. You might as well be linking us articles about imbalances of humors or the use of leeches in medicine, these ideas have already long since been discredited and the only circles still floating them are the same people floating all the other alternative medicine woo.

Hey i'm done here, just go nuts alright? literally and figuratively

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Tautologicus posted:

Also I only implied you should drop the argument, not stop posting completely. Wow way to project!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tautologicus posted:

It should be stigmatized. You think you're hosed up, why shouldn't other people think you're hosed up.

You know that old saying "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt," this was the last shred of doubt I had fluttering away.

• Locked thread