Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

Oh yeah and lets not forget that all the removal in the format can't be used to get rid of angel voltron outside of what, planar outburst?

yeah lol, I think that's it

i don't think the 7 mana one is gonna be played as much since all the white decks tend to be low CMC but Gisela is a really good card and who knows, maybe the combo is good enough to make a white control/ramp deck happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Brisela's art is legit some of the best art they've had in a while tho, like drat I hope it does see play just so I can look at it more often

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Does awaken change the cmc at least? It has to right? (not that awaken makes it actually a viable answer)

No of course not. It's an alternate casting cost.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Things that deal with Brisela in standard in order of plausibilty.

Ob Nixlixis
Planar Outburst
Quarantine Field
Descent Upon the Sinful
CoCoing into a Reflector Mage
Reduce to Ashes or Fall of the TItans X = 10
Sleep Paralysis

...Yeah, I hope you guys enjoy playing white .

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah lol, I think that's it

i don't think the 7 mana one is gonna be played as much since all the white decks tend to be low CMC but Gisela is a really good card and who knows, maybe the combo is good enough to make a white control/ramp deck happen

The 7 mana angel might not have as many copies in the deck but its basically a 7 mana "i win" can't be ignored.

legoman727 posted:

Things that deal with Brisela in standard in order of plausibilty.

Ob Nixlixis
Planar Outburst
Quarantine Field
Descent Upon the Sinful
CoCoing into a Reflector Mage
Reduce to Ashes or Fall of the TItans X = 10
Sleep Paralysis

...Yeah, I hope you guys enjoy playing white .

Does a melded creature that is bounced return both cards? Or is it exiled?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

PleasantDirge posted:

Some ppl just like to complain, I think the functional reprint of otherworldly journey is a bit more meh than a 2/2 flyer for 2W but haters gonna hate I guess

Otherworldly Journey is arcane so no direct reprints because past WotC was dumb and made a super parasitic mechanic.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cards from those mentioned videos.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

We're gonna have to wait for the rules update for a lot of questions on meld.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Reprint Evacuation

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

Both return

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We're gonna have to wait for the rules update for a lot of questions on meld.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/eldritch-moon-mechanics-2016-06-27

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
reprint damnation

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I forgot about Dragonlord Silumgar, so basically if you're not playing white this standard, you're playing Sultai. Which has half of the GW tokens deck in it anyways.

Also pretty sure they said whatever happens to teh fused card happens to both meld pieces. So if Brisela is bounced, they get Bruna and Gisela back to hand.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

That seems like a poor design philosophy.

i'm okay with it, because I hate meld from a limited perspective and constructed. Limited it becomes less viable, and I don't like them telling me exactly what my deck needs to play if I play X.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

I like how they took two of these set mechanics right out of yugioh

Fusion and Tribute summons

Eh. It's a different take on it since it requires them to be both on the field or in one's case, graveyard/field. I would have liked if all of them had graveyard/field as an option since at least that would've been a consistent alternative to hand/field. As it is, I prefer the YGO version due to more options. I understand that they can't use hand/field like in YGO because that doesn't have mana resources the way magic does, but at least a consistent 2-method way of summoning would've been nice. OTOH, we don't need a poly card so there's that.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

I was only half on this team. Literally. One of the effects of moving to the Two-Block Model was there were now four expert expansions a year instead of three (I used to sit out of the core set designs). To solve this problem, I started showing up to the small sets half the time. We normally meet twice a week for design teams, so I just showed up for one meeting. I did manage to see enough to learn the challenges this team faced and how they stepped up to meet them. I even designed a few cards.

Wait until later when he announces that he's melded with Ken Nagle and that Marken Rosenagle will be leading every set from now on.

Marogle, Magic's Desolation.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

That doesn't explain what the CMC of a meld card is, for starters

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Chill la Chill posted:

Eh. It's a different take on it since it requires them to be both on the field or in one's case, graveyard/field. I would have liked if all of them had graveyard/field as an option since at least that would've been a consistent alternative to hand/field. As it is, I prefer the YGO version due to more options. I understand that they can't use hand/field like in YGO because that doesn't have mana resources the way magic does, but at least a consistent 2-method way of summoning would've been nice. OTOH, we don't need a poly card so there's that.

Two out of three pairs meld just fine if one of them is in your graveyard.

And one of the cards in the other set is a land.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think that's reasonable. Meld is awesome from a flavor and art perspective but the gameplay issues means they probably don't want to go overboard.

The other new mechanics seem reasonable to me.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Brisela's art is legit some of the best art they've had in a while tho, like drat I hope it does see play just so I can look at it more often
GIsela is a 4 mana Baneslayer angel so it's likely to see a lot of play. Bruna is less clear but I think it's good enough if you're already playing Avcacyn, Gisela and some random humans like Sylvan Advocate or Reflector Mage so I can imagine the fusion will happen a non-zero amount of times.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Will the card that the 2 cards meld into be in packs like where the tokens are going to be?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Escalate is a really good mechanic and its very possible we get some really powerful cards out of it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

80s James Hetfield posted:

Will the card that the 2 cards meld into be in packs like where the tokens are going to be?

I'm pretty sure they are the cards' backs. In fact how is this not obvious.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's also funny that people believe core sets (i.e. reprint sets) don't actually exist anymore. They still exist in the form of conspiracy and masters sets. The really funny part being that they managed to sell core sets at more than twice the price.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Gonna go out on a limb here, but the melded cards have the collector's number of the one with the (melds with) reminder text, so I'm guessing it's the CMC of that card.

Unless Tabak says something else.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

i'm okay with it, because I hate meld from a limited perspective and constructed. Limited it becomes less viable, and I don't like them telling me exactly what my deck needs to play if I play X.

I mean, if it's a poor mechanic, don't run it. Design with your audience in mind, but don't pussyfoot with a half step if you're afraid of the response. Imo, anyway.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

GIsela is a 4 mana Baneslayer angel so it's likely to see a lot of play. Bruna is less clear but I think it's good enough if you're already playing Avcacyn, Gisela and some random humans like Sylvan Advocate or Reflector Mage so I can imagine the fusion will happen a non-zero amount of times.

noted human sylvan advocate

(for the record, I don't think it's quite that clear, 7 is a lot, although I do think it'll see play somewhere. Just, not necessarily in a shell that currently exists)

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sickening posted:

Escalate is a really good mechanic and its very possible we get some really powerful cards out of it.

Yeah, as much as Meld strikes me as dumb, Escalate seems a really good way to put out some interesting modal spells that really range in power level.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
lookin at that common meld card though - warren pilferers is a great card already so it's not like you need to play the 22nd slot rats to make it worth playing both, that's just an added 'bonus'.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah the 3/3 gravedigger 5-drop is probably a top 3 common in black on its own. Synergy with the rat is just a bonus.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad madness and delirium are back. I hope clues return also.

Clues really helped make it so limited games didn't become as much as draw-go stalemates.

So far from what we have seen, very limited spoilers, they broke white even further. Thalia is going to be played in Bant Humans and possibly even in W/r.
The 4 mana angel is also nutty, especially if Avacyn is coming down right after her.

They need to give red a major push, and they won't.

Edit: Emerge has potential if emerging also triggers additional effects based on what was emerged. For example, if you ate a creature with flying the emerged card also gets that ability.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 27, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

DangerDongs posted:

They need to give red a major push, and they won't.

Wait till Kaladesh

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

I'm glad madness and delirium are back. I hope clues return also.

Clues really helped make it so limited games didn't become as much as draw-go stalemates.

Nope, no more investigating confirmed.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Barry Shitpeas posted:

That's hilarious to me. They change the rules to say "oh it's easy, a transformed card keeps the CMC of its front side," then immediately introduce a mechanic where two cards transform into one.

I think the only options here are it's zero or it's the sum of the two melded cards, and given they just changed other DFCs away from being zero, my money's on sum.

E: Or they treat is as basically a split card, where the CMC is two and five. So to anything looking for the total CMC, it's seven, but for anything looking for a specific CMC, it matches as either CMC two or CMC five.

Nibble fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 27, 2016

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Nope, no more investigating confirmed.

Well poo poo. The mechanic was awesome in limited and even made its way into standard, so it gets the axe. This means clue themed decks in SOI, SOI, EM drafts won't be as good.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The new Yu-Gi-Oh! Tribute mechanic is a pretty cool way to foreshadow Return To Kamigawa.

Although of all the mechanics from that, Offering was not the first one that would come to mind, pretty subtle of them.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Nibble posted:

That's hilarious to me. They change the rules to say "oh it's easy, a transformed card keeps the CMC of its front side," then immediately introduce a mechanic where two cards transform into one.

I think the only options here are it's zero or it's the sum of the two melded cards, and given they just changed other DFCs away from being zero, my money's on sum.

I thought it might be both as with split cards but Tabak confirmed on twitter it's the sum

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Emerge basically turns your regular creatures into Eldrazi Scions. :getin:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

DangerDongs posted:

Well poo poo. The mechanic was awesome in limited and even made its way into standard, so it gets the axe. This means clue themed decks in SOI, SOI, EM drafts won't be as good.

The draft format is going to be EMN/EMN/SOI, they changed it with the switch to two-set blocks.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I like that it's mechanically similar to offering but flavorwise it's like Ninjutsu, except in a much more horrifying way.

Chill la Chill posted:

Point taken it's more like bad synchro summoning.

I can't wait until they put XYZ summons in magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

DangerDongs posted:

Eh, all you really need for a good clue deck is Ongoing Investigation, so I think you'll still see clue stuff happen. Not nearly as much though, I'll admit.

• Locked thread