Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sigma-X posted:

does this go in as a 1-of in Kiki-Chord to let you fetch a beater+kiki at the same time, or is just always right to fetch kiki?

I highly doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

I love Escalate
I really loving ADORE ESCALATE.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Goes straight into Sisay EDH, I would imagine. Oh, and maybe some kind of constructed deck that can use it, I guess.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Regular Art Thalia is cheesecake Thalia

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

GeneX posted:

I will forgive this almost certain development fuckup if it results in a horror tribal deck

Esper horrors would be a nice deck name, especially going into Kaladesh. Kind of seems phyrexian.

EDIT: ^^ That's not really cheesecake, especially not compared to the previously revealed version.

She kind of looks like Cirri from the Witcher series.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
How is that cheesecake, she's in full, sensible armor and looks like an actual soldier. :psyduck:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

She goes right into Abzan Company, Hate Bears and Little Kid Abzan in Modern. Bigger Zoo lists as well... Noble into her is going to be oppressive.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 27, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Make this cool card.

Archery Phalanx, 3G
0/4

Tap, deal 6 damage to creature with flying

edit: gently caress it, give it reach too

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gensuki posted:

Esper horrors would be a nice deck name, especially going into Kaladesh. Kind of seems phyrexian.

EDIT: ^^ That's not really cheesecake, especially not compared to the previously revealed version.

She kind of looks like Cirri from the Witcher series.

legoman727 posted:

How is that cheesecake, she's in full, sensible armor and looks like an actual soldier. :psyduck:

It looks like the cover of a cheesy vampire romance novel.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It looks like the cover of a cheesy vampire romance novel.

This block is a cheesy vampire romance novel, though

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://mobile.twitter.com/TabakRules/status/747448917923508224

the dumbest of all possible answers

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

I like this art more.

I actually want to build Mono White Humans now specifically because of this card. I just love this card so much.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I think WOTC is going to be surprised at how mixed the reaction to these meld cards is actually going to be.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Aw. It really should've been both (like split cards) because blowing up one half of an amalgamated monstrosity should make it fall apart.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lol you can silkwrap writhing township

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

lol you can silkwrap writhing township

You can silkwrap Ormendahl too.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
when will they make anime art for the new thalia

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Escalate is... fine. It's a serviceable Kicker variant and those almost always play really well for limited and make the game fun but never have good flavor and aren't terribly exciting. Which is fine.

I like Emerge a lot, but mostly because I'm hoping there will be a draftable Emerge deck like there was a UB exploit deck in Dragons, since that was the funnest deck in the format. We better get some common 2-drops that do good stuff when they die.

Meld seems like a terrible gimmick, but as long as there's only the few cards and he rest of the DFCs are "normal", I'm fine with it. This is one case where for once I'm glad they showed some restraint.

TheKingofSprings posted:

This block is a cheesy vampire romance novel, though

Emrakul's influence is changing Innistrad from the Cool Hats Plane to the Good Hair Plane.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
im glad my second favorite card game is becoming more like my other second favorite card game

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Escalate is... fine. It's a serviceable Kicker variant and those almost always play really well for limited and make the game fun but never have good flavor and aren't terribly exciting. Which is fine.

I like Emerge a lot, but mostly because I'm hoping there will be a draftable Emerge deck like there was a UB exploit deck in Dragons, since that was the funnest deck in the format. We better get some common 2-drops that do good stuff when they die.

Meld seems like a terrible gimmick, but as long as there's only the few cards and he rest of the DFCs are "normal", I'm fine with it. This is one case where for once I'm glad they showed some restraint.

Emrakul's influence is changing Innistrad from the Cool Hats Plane to the Good Hair Plane.

Isn't it just multi-Entwine

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

it's a superset of entwine yes, since entwine is just escalate with two options

but every card that pays X for more effects is a kicker variant

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm hoping for an Eldrazi with Emerge that looks like an Alien from, well, Alien.

It'd be the best reference. Maybe have an ETB trigger that is better if it the sac'd creature was Human.

Edit: Did we ever talk about the cool-rear end double sided foil zombie token we're getting in the prerelease packs?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 27, 2016

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

:circlefap: Oh man, cannot wait to use this card. Also the art is waYYY better than the buy a box one. Just like how the original pack Thalia is better than WMCQ one :can:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I think WOTC is going to be surprised at how mixed the reaction to these meld cards is actually going to be.

The casual crowd is probably going to eat it up cause they love yugioh poo poo like that

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Count Bleck posted:

I'm hoping for an Eldrazi with Emerge that looks like an Alien from, well, Alien.

It'd be the best reference. Maybe have an ETB trigger that is better if it the sac'd creature was Human.

Edit: Did we ever talk about the cool-rear end double sided foil zombie token we're getting in the prerelease packs?

I like the tricone hat one.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

dragon enthusiast posted:

The casual crowd is probably going to eat it up cause they love yugioh poo poo like that

Reminder that it was an idea Ken Nagle has been pushing since NPH.

So it'll be another thing we can make fun of him for if it flops astoundingly.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Gilt-Leaf Winnower is very marginally playable. Although the actual best way would be to hold up removal on their turn so they can't make it in the first place.

Sure if you want to get blown out when they flash Avacyn in and flip their stupid angels anyway.

Agreed. Remember when they changed the CMC of the back of the card to simplify something that wasn't difficult or complicated? And now it is very difficult and complicated.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Maybe mechanics like yugioh ones show up because yugioh has some good ideas? Like I know it's one of the thread punching bags but it's not like it's completely devoid of fun stuff

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Meld looks like a terrible gimmick to me, but I thought the same thing about normal Double-Faced Cards during original Innistrad spoilers and I was wrong. :shrug:

Angry Grimace posted:

Yes and entwine is just a variation on Kicker.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

kinda neat that it's a legendary card and not just legendary creatures

worst flavor text of the century though

Could be worse:
"Let the points of our lances lead the way" ~ Thraben proverb meaning "Let us swiftly attack the enemy in a striking attack"

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

cheetah7071 posted:

Maybe mechanics like yugioh ones show up because yugioh has some good ideas? Like I know it's one of the thread punching bags but it's not like it's completely devoid of fun stuff

Casual Yugioh is fun.

Old Yugioh was also fun.

Competitive Yugioh doesn't look very fun.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Count Bleck posted:

Casual Yugioh is fun.

Old Yugioh was also fun.

Competitive Yugioh doesn't look very fun.

Last time I followed the game competitive Yugioh had a bunch of very powerful cards that were restricted to 1 per deck and you really wanted to have on the first turn, so it was an open secret that the "pros" were all just the players who were best at stacking their decks.

Also there was always a very powerful card that cost $300.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 27, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Last time I follows the game competitive Yugioh had a bunch of very powerful cards that were restricted to 1 per deck and you really wanted to have on the first turn, so it was an open secret that the "pros" were all just the players who were best at stacking their decks.

Also there was always a very powerful card that cost $300.

nekroz (the best deck about a year? ago) was not like this at all - the deck was very redundant in its tutoring engines which worked out of the hand and graveyard and played consistently regardless of opening hand. the whole deck was around $400, about half of which was the $15 extra deck that could be used in most of the other decks in the format since it was utility XYZ's.

the cheater thing I can think of comes from infernity which is a deck that went off on being hellbent so if you had extra monsters stuck in your hand, some infernity players would start putting monsters face down in their spell zone (this is of course not legal barring specific card interactions and checkable at end of game but they'd just concede and pile the cards into the deck if they were being suspected of doing this to avoid the dq)

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 27, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Last time I follows the game competitive Yugioh had a bunch of very powerful cards that were restricted to 1 per deck and you really wanted to have on the first turn, so it was an open secret that the "pros" were all just the players who were best at stacking their decks.

I seem to recall magic decks, but a certain one in particular, that also won in the same manner. :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

cheetah7071 posted:

"Making YGO trap cards in magic will kill the game because ______" even though magic already has flipped down morph monsters.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Meld is sweet. Taking up only six DFCs for the entire implementation of it is also good because it lets them do a neat gimmick that will get people talking and minimizes the opportunity cost of it being basically unplayable, or at least extremely borderline, in both limited and constructed.

A 4cmc flying first striking lifelinker is fuckin bonkers though. Hopefully we get a Lightning Strike or a Disintegrate in this set, it's about time for that card to come back.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I like this art more.

I actually want to build Mono White Humans now specifically because of this card. I just love this card so much.

Mono-White Humans and Bant Company really needed help to be better, glad WOTC agrees

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

stinkles1112 posted:

Meld is sweet. Taking up only six DFCs for the entire implementation of it is also good because it lets them do a neat gimmick that will get people talking and minimizes the opportunity cost of it being basically unplayable, or at least extremely borderline, in both limited and constructed.

A 4cmc flying first striking lifelinker is fuckin bonkers though. Hopefully we get a Lightning Strike or a Disintegrate in this set, it's about time for that card to come back.

Alternatively, Incinerate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

stinkles1112 posted:

That to me reads as bad design. I mean, as is, a really high percentage of casual players will never interact with the mechanic in actual play.

quote:

I think Dromoka's Command is another thing seriously hurting red removal, regardless of what's avaiable. GWx decks get an incidental free counter against red decks.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

"Making YGO trap cards in magic will kill the game because ______" even though magic already has flipped down morph monsters.
Disappointed they missed the opportunity to do trap cards in the end.

• Locked thread