Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The first Google hit for a change is actually trustworthy people, Firecore did a ton of development work on it. If you upgraded too far though, you might be out of luck.

https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/215090347-Jailbreaking-101-Seas0nPass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE posted:

The first Google hit for a change is actually trustworthy people, Firecore did a ton of development work on it. If you upgraded too far though, you might be out of luck.

https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/215090347-Jailbreaking-101-Seas0nPass

Thanks, yeah I went ahead and did that but apparently the jailbreak for the latest firmware 6.2.1 is tethered, meaning you need to connect the apple tv to a mac ever time you wanna reboot it, which is a bummer. It looks like you can buy aTV flash (which I'm assuming is permanent?) from those firecore guys but I don't really wanna spend the $30.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think it's been that way for several years.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You really don't need to reboot very often. You can likely go a couple of months without rebooting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was gonna say that, but then I remembered just how unstable my ATV2 running Kodi was and itd hard lock quite regularly. That was an iOS version prior and a Kodi version waaaaay older so might not be an issue anymore, but a tethered jailbreak would put me off to be honest.

I moved to an Apple TV 3 and sold my 2 for a good profit, and switched my setup to Plex and never looked back.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was gonna say that, but then I remembered just how unstable my ATV2 running Kodi was and itd hard lock quite regularly. That was an iOS version prior and a Kodi version waaaaay older so might not be an issue anymore, but a tethered jailbreak would put me off to be honest.

I moved to an Apple TV 3 and sold my 2 for a good profit, and switched my setup to Plex and never looked back.

Oh yeah I forgot how unstable XBMC was back then when I had a jailbroken atv2. Best to steer clear of the tethered method.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Don't know why you'd want Kodi over Plex...

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to make a shortcut at the home screen (or even better, a controller key press) that sleeps the ATV4?

I love that sleeping will also shut off my display as well, but I hate having to do Settings -> General -> Sleep every time.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any way to make a shortcut at the home screen (or even better, a controller key press) that sleeps the ATV4?

I love that sleeping will also shut off my display as well, but I hate having to do Settings -> General -> Sleep every time.

If you long press the TV button it will give you the option to sleep the aTV. Super helpful.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've noticed the HDMI-CEC gets wonky occasionally, a reboot fixes it but still a little annoying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there anyway to use the ATV in a hotel where you need to login in or accept T&Cs? Nothing pops up when you connect to the network. I'm fine tonight because I have a travel router which takes this into consideration, but it'd be useful to not have to go through that.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there anyway to use the ATV in a hotel where you need to login in or accept T&Cs? Nothing pops up when you connect to the network. I'm fine tonight because I have a travel router which takes this into consideration, but it'd be useful to not have to go through that.

Given there's no webkit allowed in tvOS I think you're SOL.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Had a feeling, they should just do the networking connections that they have for the rest of iOS.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EL BROMANCE posted:

Had a feeling, they should just do the networking connections that they have for the rest of iOS.

Doesn't that pop a webview?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Subjunctive posted:

Doesn't that pop a webview?

It does. Kind of has to so there's a universal way for the authentication portals have their custom UIs. There isn't really a universal way that anyone uses so it relies on web viewers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah not saying it should be allowed to devs (I'm pretty sure that would inspire the laziest apps ever for the platform), but given the ATV is so small it's easy to take around with you to places that need to auth like this.

It wasn't until my wife reminded me about the Accept screen I could work out why nothing was working. I had presumed they did blocks on all streaming content, but luckily my little router is designed to pass on these screens so I authed through that and connected to it and everything worked flawlessly. The cleaning service might wonder what the mess of gear and cables is on the desk though!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Maybe you can proxy the connection through your laptop?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My travel router is about 1/8 the size of my laptop. It's literally a plug that sits in the wall and has a wifi aerial and 2x Ethernet sockets.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
apart from side loading a proxy server you could change to mac on your laptop to match the atv, agree to t&c's disconnect and connect with the atv

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Perplx posted:

apart from side loading a proxy server you could change to mac on your laptop to match the atv, agree to t&c's disconnect and connect with the atv

At this point why not just connect the Mac to the TV instead?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's nice not to have your computer tethered to a computer while you're lying on your bed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah all these alternatives are sounding like a lot more messing about than I already go through. At least I know it'll work in the future.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone use the Lynda.com app? I have a free subscription through my library. When I go online I can see every course they have. When I use the AppleTV app I can only see a subset, it seems. Like I search for "Lightroom" on the website and I get 96 courses. I search for "Lightroom" in the app and I get one, on Lightroom4 which is pretty old.

Is this expected behaviour? I'm guessing it is, but I can't see anywhere online where they own up to a smaller subset of material for the app. I'll have to contact them I guess.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
When you go online and can see everything, how are you connecting to their site? Are you at home or at the library? Do you login right to lynda.com or do you go through a portal on your library's website and then go to lynda through there?

The school I work for has a thing for Lynda, but my IP address has to be one of the school's for it to work, so it could be something similar.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

When you go online and can see everything, how are you connecting to their site? Are you at home or at the library? Do you login right to lynda.com or do you go through a portal on your library's website and then go to lynda through there?

The school I work for has a thing for Lynda, but my IP address has to be one of the school's for it to work, so it could be something similar.

I'm on my home network for both the website and AppleTV. I do have to log into a special portal on the website, but once I'm logged in I had no problem using the lynda.com/appletv (or whatever it was) registration link.

Essentially I think either the fact that it works at ALL with a library subscription is an oversight that I just made them aware of (:ohdear:), or the app just doesn't use the full library (which doesn't seem kosher to me, if I paid for a full sub).

I mean I guess there's an outside chance that it's the fact that it's a library subscription, and that may be the excuse they come back with, but I would expect it either to work completely or not work at all. The fact that there's no mention of limitations (that I can find) listed online is what's more bewildering.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 2, 2016

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I didn't even know they had an Apple TV app. I'll check it out and let you know if I have the same issue. It could be some sort of permissions/authentication thing with your school's account.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks!

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
After signing up for the Apple Music trial, I can't play any songs on my Apple TV that I bought before starting the trial. It just skips over them. Any fix for this?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just noticed the latest update removed the Recently Updates list of apps in the Purchased tab of the App Store.

In case you want to see what changed, you've got to look up the app in the store and scroll down to Version History.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that's lame, when I found out about that it was a really useful little addition. Did it add anything worthwhile at least?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So my latest gen ATV is now starting to just go to a blank display right in the middle of watching something. Only pulling the power and plugging it back in brings the video back. Is this a new feature or do I have something wrong with mine?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So my latest gen ATV is now starting to just go to a blank display right in the middle of watching something. Only pulling the power and plugging it back in brings the video back. Is this a new feature or do I have something wrong with mine?

Sounds like a synch issue with HDMI. Try replacing the cable, then do a restore on your ATV, then call Apple.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

A couple googles later and most of them say to replace the cable as well. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone use the Lynda.com app? I have a free subscription through my library. When I go online I can see every course they have. When I use the AppleTV app I can only see a subset, it seems. Like I search for "Lightroom" on the website and I get 96 courses. I search for "Lightroom" in the app and I get one, on Lightroom4 which is pretty old.

Is this expected behaviour? I'm guessing it is, but I can't see anywhere online where they own up to a smaller subset of material for the app. I'll have to contact them I guess.

Our library had a number of issues with patrons getting redirected from the library log-in to a generic one where you get stuck with a crummy trial vs the full library subscription you should have. Definitely contact the reference desk at your local library and mention it. I know they've been going back and forth with the Lynda.com people here for a while sorting out one device at a time. There was all sorts of strange behaviour like logging in, using it for five minutes, then suddenly being stuck in trial mode.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any AppleTV (latest gen) app that will let me legally stream the Rio 2016 olympics?

If not, is there any iPhone/iPad app (which I could then airplay to the Apple tv?)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I presume the NBC Sports app will have coverage, but I know NBC in general has a poor reputation.

The iplayer app might do a good job - the website last time in London was phenomenal, but I've not been able to get iplayer live streams working in the US with my usual DNS services (archived stuff is fine though).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

NBC Sports app was pretty great for the NHL playoffs.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Apparently YouTube has a special channel with live olympics coverage so I'll give that a shot.

Thanks for the suggestions!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apparently YouTube has a special channel with live olympics coverage so I'll give that a shot.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I appreciate that info too, I love me some olympics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Is there any AppleTV (latest gen) app that will let me legally stream the Rio 2016 olympics?

If not, is there any iPhone/iPad app (which I could then airplay to the Apple tv?)

I vaguely recall hearing the CBC wasn't geoblocking their excellent olympic coverage last time around. Might be worth investigating. On the older Apple TV you'd just have to log into a Canadian app store account and it updates with Canada-specific apps.