Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kerrrrrrr posted:

my overall winrate is ~52%, but i get all my wins on like, lucio and 76 and symmetra and bastion and dva and torbjorn, and all my losses on junkrat, and it makes me feel really sad that i put my poor trash child through such misery, he doesn't deserve this

junkrat is pretty hard countered by the best general offensive pick in the patch though (pharah is a pretty big winner from the mccree and widowmaker nerfs), it shouldn't be surprising that picking him without a team to compensate would result in a bad winrate regardless of player skill

also the increase in reaper usage probably hurts junkrat somewhat too

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 27, 2016

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I swear, pubbies just do not know how to deal with a defensive Reinhardt on a Payload map.

It should not be this easy or this much fun to ruin an entire team's offensive on your own :allears:. By the end they came loaded for BEAR with two McCree's, a Roadhog and a Bastion just to put me down. They didn't account for the rest of my team being competent enough to murder them while they focussed on me :smuggo:.

In general, pubs don't know how to deal with a Reinhardt they can't bait into charging. I'm fine with my 0/0 K/D, thanks. Just gonna keep pushing this cart.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zoness posted:

junkrat is pretty hard countered by the best general offensive pick in the patch though, it shouldn't be surprising that picking him without a team to compensate would result in a bad winrate regardless of player skill

this doesn't make me feel any better!

it just means that i can't play junkrat until they nerf pharah or un-nerf widow, neither of which are gonna happen :smith:

and every time i play with a group the matchmaking becomes so hosed up that we just end up getting stomped all the time.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

pakman posted:

Bought a new mouse with adjustable dpi this weekend and got to play around with it yesterday. Trying out 800 with 7 in-game sensitivity. I will have to get used to this and stuck for a bit, so i guess I'm going to be playing a lot of mercy and soldier to get used to things. I don't even want to attempt genji.
I trust you already know this but for any lurkers it's as good an excuse as any to repost this recommendation from another goon:

In windows, disable "enhanced pointer precision" (aka mouse acceleration) and set the slider in the middle, on the 6th pip. This ensures your actual mouse movements are translated 'raw' and aren't subject to acceleration or weird scaling issues

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there any useful "show videos of me playing to people and people who aren't dumb as rocks will tell me what I'm doing right and wrong" thing

I've got a decent grasp on most of the characters and I think I'm actually a pretty good Pharah. I watch some of my own footage and try to find mistakes and things to improve on but there's partial blinders to that because sometimes I just don't know a thing and sometimes it's just hard to be self-critical. Also hard to develop lessons that work in one context (average solo-queue nightmare trashfire) vs. another (communicative team where everyone does their jobs)

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 27, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Post a youtube in the tryhard thread I guess, or the inhouse/comp discord.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Bluedeanie posted:

The other night I was on a 19-kill streak as Torbjorn and I had a Reaper dead in my crosshairs, not even paying attention to me because he was in a fight with a Symmetra, about to get that achievement — and then my internet connection died and I got booted. The salt was real.

I got my achievement as reaper after I'd died, it was weird. Hanamura B, I just kept teleporting up to the ledge with the windows just inside the room. I'd drop down in a different spot each time, kill someone, ghost back inside to my team's cover and repeat. The last time I did it their whole crew was waiting for me but my team had charged out to see why it was so quiet and wiped them out. I think I died just before my 20th kill did, but the achievement popped up anyway. My friend got his on Torb on hanamura A, every so often you get matched up against a team that will just feed itself into the grinder (I've been on both sides of this).

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there any useful "show videos of me playing to people and people who aren't dumb as rocks will tell me what I'm doing right and wrong" thing

I've got a decent grasp on most of the characters and I think I'm actually a pretty good Pharah. I watch some of my own footage and try to find mistakes and things to improve on but there's partial blinders to that because sometimes I just don't know a thing and sometimes it's just hard to be self-critical. Also hard to develop lessons that work in one context (average solo-queue nightmare trashfire) vs. another (communicative team where everyone does their jobs)

I don't know if there are any high skill competitive websites out there yet but you may as well try the competitive thread. Or come to an inhouse and ask us to spectate you so we can tear you apart after the game!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

it just means that i can't play junkrat until they nerf pharah or un-nerf widow, neither of which are gonna happen :smith:

and every time i play with a group the matchmaking becomes so hosed up that we just end up getting stomped all the time.

junkrat is still perfectly fine on defense so just play him when you're defending in payload or a/d

he was never good at attacking

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ahhpple posted:

I don't know if there are any high skill competitive websites out there yet but you may as well try the competitive thread. Or come to an inhouse and ask us to spectate you so we can tear you apart after the game!

I felt pretty torn apart by triple golding game 1 and getting picked last-quarter game 2 anyway I guess

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

bagrada posted:

I got my achievement as reaper after I'd died, it was weird. Hanamura B, I just kept teleporting up to the ledge with the windows just inside the room. I'd drop down in a different spot each time, kill someone, ghost back inside to my team's cover and repeat. The last time I did it their whole crew was waiting for me but my team had charged out to see why it was so quiet and wiped them out. I think I died just before my 20th kill did, but the achievement popped up anyway. My friend got his on Torb on hanamura A, every so often you get matched up against a team that will just feed itself into the grinder (I've been on both sides of this).

Yeah that's more or less what was happening to me, it was Hollywood A and I set up my turret at first on the balcony that overlooks the main entrance to the point dead on, and then eventually on the outside corner near that doorway people can come through on the side, and it was that special kind of pubby team that just couldn't find an answer for both the turret and me/the rest of the team.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Post a youtube in the tryhard thread I guess, or the inhouse/comp discord.

Since I'm dumb and don't know where they are can somebody link these other threads?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Trisk posted:

Since I'm dumb and don't know where they are can somebody link these other threads?

Tryhard thread where we have the controversial opinion that D.Va and Mei are bad
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777487

Inhouse thread where goons love playing Mei and D.Va
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778249

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Trisk posted:

this is the tryhard thread

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

New thread title.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Mechanism Eight posted:

I trust you already know this but for any lurkers it's as good an excuse as any to repost this recommendation from another goon:

In windows, disable "enhanced pointer precision" (aka mouse acceleration) and set the slider in the middle, on the 6th pip. This ensures your actual mouse movements are translated 'raw' and aren't subject to acceleration or weird scaling issues

Thanks. I actually did not know this, and have now changed it. Even for regular computer use for me, the midpoint and 800 dpi are way too much. Haven't had a chance to play around in game yet.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think widowmaker is more of a blueberry color

Manatee Cannon posted:

junkrat is still perfectly fine on defense so just play him when you're defending in payload or a/d

Not to get too deep into this line of discussion but I feel like junkrat is better the more your team can restrict your opponents' vertical mobility or in chokes that already force low elevation from your opponents. This is like ideal on most 2CP maps and hollywood point A but if you look at hollywood streets which is often about controlling building tops he tends to suffer a bit more, as an example.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 27, 2016

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Seagull stream best stream.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Yeah, the chances of Pharah getting nerfed seem slim, because she is not in any way overpowered, nor is she as dominant as pre-nerf McCree in terms of what she can and can't do in pub games especially; she's a very solid general offense pick, and she can absolutely demolish bad teams, but the emphasis is on "bad" - a lot of times you can reliably keep a Pharah dead with any hitscan character, and Widowmaker still eats Pharah (just bad Widows no longer do)

If you're committed to a Junkrat-only gimmick, you'll just have to learn to accept that some heroes just counter you :(

w/r/t 20-kill streak chat, it's one of the first achievements I got, and it is very easy if you consider that you don't have to get any final blows at all; pick a solid frontliner and just cherrytap people who are likely going to die anyway, and emphasize just not dying yourself (this is almost trivially easy as Soldier: 76)

edit: like you won't be getting any PotG this way and you might even hurt your team's chances for winning by not contesting very actively, but if your only goal is "get 20 eliminations without dying" then yeah pick 76 and stay alive, it probably won't take you more than 4 or 5 games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pharah honestly seems really well balanced.

She's strong but not THAT strong. She has strengths but they're counterbalanced by significant weaknesses. Her secondary attack is incredibly powerful but situational. Her ult is game-changing but requires significant effort to pull off well. She's just an overall solid character.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

She's strong but not THAT strong. She has strengths but they're counterbalanced by significant weaknesses. Her secondary attack is incredibly powerful but situational. Her ult is game-changing but requires significant effort to pull off well. She's just an overall solid character.

the conc blast is a big deal because it is her best horizontal mobility option.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think anyone really needs a nerf atm

mercy's ult is the only thing that's even questionable atm

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Should I get nomad genji or bedouin genji?

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Pro Junkrats blow Pharah out of the sky with a sick mine throw.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

Carbon fiber.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

pakman posted:

Carbon fiber.

Jfc no just no.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think nomad looks better but both of them are good (i have bedouin)

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Pharah's ult is situationally very powerful and generally kinda weak - it isn't like, say, a Tracer or S76 ult or something in the Offense tree, where the flowchart goes "Do I have ult?" Y: "Ult" N: "Build more ult until I can ult" and Reaper's is actually even easier to set up (get above people, hit Q as you fall, collect your PotG)

The rest of Pharah's kit strikes me as the opposite, where it is generally fairly strong but lacks the same "if <x> happens, you auto-win" that a lot of the other Offense characters have; the Concussion Missile is dope for movement and jukes and knocking people who aren't paying attention off the map, the Jump Jet has obvious uses but you can't just "lol im in the sky" and expect to not die because you will, you will die

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think anyone needs a nerf in the sense that there are characters that feel too strong (other than Widow, who is still too strong), but I do think a good number of characters could do with a rework to make them more fun and easier to integrate into the game writ large, like my point about Hanzo a million pages ago - as long as his arrow's hitbox does what it does, you can't realistically buff him or he'll become a shitshow, but as it stands he just kinda sucks, so he's stuck

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bedouin imo

Manatee Cannon posted:

I agree mostly. I know most pro Pharahs are probably popping her ult at altitudes a little too high for this to be viable but I've stopped multiple barrages and killed the Pharah with Roadhog's hook shot, she is hardly indestructible. Neither is Widowmaker honestly, although I am also playing on PS4 so this probably has reinforced that opinion for me. I think if you absolutely cannot handle a character consistently it probably has more to do with your play style and class of choice than it does with the opposing class being too overpowered, and of course there are going to be a handful of people who are just entirely too good at a class anyway regardless of balance.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

OFFICIAL GENJI SKIN TIER LIST
S+
Chrome
Yung Thug Genji
Nomad

A
Sparrow
Carbon Fiber

B
Everything else

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Hanzo just needs some improved mobility. Widowmaker gets to be one of the most mobile characters in the game while having the better sniping abilities. If Hanzo had Genji's run speed, and maybe the double jump. he'd be a lot funner, and he'd be able to get involved a lot more.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Craptacular! posted:

They need to nerf Widow harder. Genji basically can't take her at close range unless he has deflect up because her burst fire puts out so much damage. And they have to figure out some way to change her zoomed shots so she's not the hero of choice for people who are good at FPS games that aren't called Overwatch.

Every other hero in the game is unique or does something different in the FPS genre, everyone but Widow who feels like Counter-Strike man with D cups.

Haha, if a Genji can't kill a Widow in melee range he's a bad Genji. Widow is fine.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

guts and bolts posted:

If you're committed to a Junkrat-only gimmick, you'll just have to learn to accept that some heroes just counter you :(

i dunno about committed to a gimmick, but he's kind of the only character i really enjoy playing (i also enjoy symmetra, but she's also only good on defense). i don't really like any of the offense heroes or tanks. i die too much as reinhardt, can't land hooks as roadhog, dva is situational at best, and i don't like winston or zarya. 76 is the only offense hero i can really stand to play, but i suck at aiming cause i don't play CoD. i find healing as lucio/mercy to be boring and zenyatta is rather punishing to play.

if my team needs a defense hero, great! junkrat or symmetra. maybe bastion. if it needs anything else, i am kinda boned.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Bluedeanie posted:

Bedouin imo

I agree mostly. I know most pro Pharahs are probably popping her ult at altitudes a little too high for this to be viable but I've stopped multiple barrages and killed the Pharah with Roadhog's hook shot, she is hardly indestructible. Neither is Widowmaker honestly, although I am also playing on PS4 so this probably has reinforced that opinion for me. I think if you absolutely cannot handle a character consistently it probably has more to do with your play style and class of choice than it does with the opposing class being too overpowered, and of course there are going to be a handful of people who are just entirely too good at a class anyway regardless of balance.

Widow is still nightmarish because good Widows got punished exactly not at all by her recent changes, so if you're up against a good Widow your life is still hell on wheels

Pharah's ult in terms of like... the height you want, that's actually a sort of double-edged sword: if you're trying to smoke people in short order you must do it low-ish to the ground, because if you're just really high in the air what happens is that you eat a Helix Rocket and die immediately (assuming Widow didn't kill you first)

Roadhog hook is just one of those things you need to be aware of as Pharah when you prep to ult, you either kill him early in the ult/before the ult or you wait for a hook CD or you just hope he's distracted or something, Hook is just a generally solid counter to Pharah's ult (as it should be)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Mystery Machine posted:

Hanzo just needs some improved mobility. Widowmaker gets to be one of the most mobile characters in the game while having the better sniping abilities. If Hanzo had Genji's run speed, and maybe the double jump. he'd be a lot funner, and he'd be able to get involved a lot more.

Hanzo would literally turn into a double jumping trickshot class where he just jumps around people and spams arrows even worse than he does now.

No thanks.

e: Key to a good ult:

1. Have you been seen?
2. Are there any characters that can stop you? If so, are their cooldowns active?

If you can answer no to both of these, unleash that ult. Otherwise you're probably going to die like a wet fart.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 27, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Manatee Cannon posted:

So wrong.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Junkrat is fine on attack. He's in the same camp as soldier 76 in that there's no situation in which they wouldn't be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i dunno about committed to a gimmick, but he's kind of the only character i really enjoy playing (i also enjoy symmetra, but she's also only good on defense). i don't really like any of the offense heroes or tanks. i die too much as reinhardt, can't land hooks as roadhog, dva is situational at best, and i don't like winston or zarya. 76 is the only offense hero i can really stand to play, but i suck at aiming cause i don't play CoD. i find healing as lucio/mercy to be boring and zenyatta is rather punishing to play.

if my team needs a defense hero, great! junkrat or symmetra. maybe bastion. if it needs anything else, i am kinda boned.

I find myself bored to tears playing Junkrat, who I find aesthetically neat and mechanically dull, so I'm not going to be very good at giving you recommendations, BUT I also think you should play Pharah? Who has some of that "haha explosions get hosed" euphoria, except you can fly on a more full-time basis and reliably knock people off the map

I also refuse to believe anyone that says they have fun playing Bastion, I don't think he's OP or too stronk or whatever but holding LMB as the core gameplay mechanic strikes me as really bad/weird in a game where everyone else is a goddamn amazing superhero

"hmm, do I pick a weeaboo wet-dream cyborg ninja with double jumps and combos and a ~dragon sword,~ or do I literally play as a TF2 turret"