Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A lovely Reporter posted:

Beat up all Nazis imo.

Can we put this in the platform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
So Hillary is for $15 per hour wage now? I'm loving retarded someone please link where she says this.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can we put this in the platform

Seems to already be in it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Teflon Don posted:

So Hillary is for $15 per hour wage now? I'm loving retarded someone please link where she says this.

I liked all the "keeping Wall Street on a short leash" talk but couldn't help feeling a little skeptical with Goldman Sachs underwriting the campaign

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I would hope a downticket candidate would be able to articulate their own issues instead of pointing to the platform and going "Yea, I support all of that."

Ask a random person what their state rep candidate stands for, or even their congressional candidates. You'll mostly get blank stares. It's just a general "this is basically what the party stands for" and so even though it's essentially meaningless in terms of what actual candidates might support, it's still subject to fuckery like the 2012 stuff about Israel and god that just had to make it in so that the party could pretend it's cool with all that.

Rollofthedice posted:

Have national minimum wage increases in america ever been proposed to be tied/indexed to inflation? Have any attempts to tie minimum wage increases to inflation ever gotten anywhere?

Well, the new overtime rule kinda got indexed. To average wage growth anyway. Not minimum wage though, and not to inflation, that I know of. I mean, else it would have been automatically growing at some point, which it obviously hasn't.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Boon posted:

Im a big fan of anti-TPP being left out.
I don't post about this a lot cause it seems against the consensus here, but I am too. I know that it's bad for the specific people who lose jobs to TPP-enabled competition, but I'm very pro-free-trade and I think we should work harder on providing higher-quality domestic jobs and adult training initiatives :shobon:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Teflon Don posted:

She said she supports a national floor of $12 per hour and $15 per hour under certain conditions:

quote:

Clinton said she would sign a $15 minimum wage bill put forth by Democrats if it had certain stipulations in it. The new wage floor would have to be phased in gradually and the effects of the hike would have to be evaluated in areas with lower costs of living.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Teflon Don posted:

This is getting uncomfortably close to "say the magic words" territory.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't post about this a lot cause it seems against the consensus here, but I am too. I know that it's bad for the specific people who lose jobs to TPP-enabled competition, but I'm very pro-free-trade and I think we should work harder on providing higher-quality domestic jobs and adult training initiatives :shobon:

TPP is only partly about free trade.

Most of it is establishing US-style IP protections and laws in the rest of the world. They want to standardize business to the way the U.S. does business to make it easier to trade and to make it so China has to adopt U.S. style regulations or get frozen out.

People who don't like U.S. style patent and IP law (generally longer patents than the rest of the world, especially for medical devices and pharmaceuticals) don't like getting the rest of the world on that standard because it would "entrench" U.S. style laws as the norm. Some people are just raging against it because it is a trade bill, but it is mostly about IP.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

This is getting uncomfortably close to "say the magic words" territory.

Radical Islamic Minimum Wage

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Panty Saluter posted:

I liked all the "keeping Wall Street on a short leash" talk but couldn't help feeling a little skeptical with Goldman Sachs underwriting the campaign

Lol you must be really bad at math if you think GS underwrites the Clinton campaign.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol you must be really bad at math if you think GS underwrites the Clinton campaign.

All I know is they and many other bankers contributed heavily, so v:v:v

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Necc0 posted:

Obviously they weren't going to get everything they wanted so anything they'd failed to get they'd criticize. They're now criticizing things they didn't get. Ez-Pz

Sanders got higher min wage, EITC to adults with no children, breaking up the banks, and no privatized prisons so far

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/06/27/heres-what-bernie-sanders-has-won-in-the-democratic-platform-so-far/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

No President is going to come close to being as awesome as Calvin Coolidge as far as pets are concerned:

Uh you know that Theodore had a small bear in there right? Also a hyena, barn owl, and a snake.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Panty Saluter posted:

All I know is they and many other bankers contributed heavily, so v:v:v
So I'm assuming you looked at their contributions to the Republican candidates as well, right?

Shageletic posted:

Sanders got higher min wage, EITC to adults with no children, breaking up the banks, and no privatized prisons so far

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/06/27/heres-what-bernie-sanders-has-won-in-the-democratic-platform-so-far/

You won't see them concentrate on what they won, though

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I've definitely shot gophers in my backyard with a .22 and I'm in city limits. I guess it depends on where you are. Me and my dad sat outside drat near all day and got three of the sons of bitches

I could probably get away with a .22, but I haven't got one at my house up here. And even if I did, I'd probably still just let animal control deal with it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Necc0 posted:

So I'm assuming you looked at their contributions to the Republican candidates as well, right?

No, but I imagine there were a few. Let me guess: the contributions can be written off

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Panty Saluter posted:

No, but I imagine there were a few. Let me guess: the contributions can be written off

Political contributions can't be written off.

(Unless you mean metaphorically)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Political contributions can't be wrriten off.

(Unless you mean metaphorically)

No I meant literally. Probably doesn't hurt to hedge your bets politically though.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Speaking of the TPP, Hillary in her speech today again came out against it. Also mentioned having a Trade Prosecutor (which from what I read she also talked about in 2008)

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/06/27/1542938/-Transcript-of-remarks-of-Hillary-Clinton-and-Elizabeth-Warren-in-Cincinnati-OH

quote:

Because when companies take taxpayer dollars with one hand and give out pink slips with the other, and ship hundreds of jobs overseas, we’re going to make them pay back those tax benefits. And we’re going to take that money and reinvest it in workers and communities. And we’re going to slap an ‘exit tax’ on companies that move their headquarters overseas to avoid paying their fair share of taxes. And we will defend American jobs and American workers by saying ‘no’ to bad trade deals, like the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and unfair trade practices, like when China dumps cheap steel in our markets or uses weak ‘rules of origin’ to undercut our car makers. I’m going to appoint a trade prosecutor who will report to the President, so we are going to end the abuse of our market, our workers, our people.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Yes, alienating women even more, THIS is truly the electoral strategy that will lead to a Trump victory.

There's a pretty good article in the New Yorker about Trump being the final nail in the Republican party's efforts with women

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/06/27/hillary-clinton-and-the-history-of-women-in-american-politics

EDIT: ^^^ I think she's been against it for a few months already...

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Shageletic posted:

There's a pretty good article in the New Yorker about Trump being the final nail in the Republican party's efforts with women

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/06/27/hillary-clinton-and-the-history-of-women-in-american-politics

EDIT: ^^^ I think she's been against it for a few months already...

Yea just emphasizing she continues to do so.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Awesome. The ads with him talking about how the "woman must be punished" are going to be brutal on him once they start running. Here's hoping he'll continue to run his mouth on it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Panty Saluter posted:

No I meant literally. Probably doesn't hurt to hedge your bets politically though.

Correct. It's pretty clear which candidate(s) the industry prefers when you look at the contributions as a whole.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Speaking of the TPP, Hillary in her speech today again came out against it. Also mentioned having a Trade Prosecutor (which from what I read she also talked about in 2008)

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/06/27/1542938/-Transcript-of-remarks-of-Hillary-Clinton-and-Elizabeth-Warren-in-Cincinnati-OH

Isn't that the Undersecretary of Commerce for International Trade?

Hillary is unfortunately descending into gibberish on this trade stuff. Probably because nearly all discussion of trade is gibberish, though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Hey that's some outsized influence and great things all things considered. Too bad the loudest Bernie people will refuse to acknowledge any victories at all

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Deteriorata posted:

Isn't that the Undersecretary of Commerce for International Trade?

Hillary is unfortunately descending into gibberish on this trade stuff. Probably because nearly all discussion of trade is gibberish, though.

Eh, your average American doesn't even know there IS an Undersecretary assigned to international trade. And so long as she's signaling "TPP BAD" it doesn't matter what she says, since no one actually knows what the TPP is anyways. I've had more than one person tell me that the TPP is bad because we shouldn't have free trade with China.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Litany Unheard posted:

Eh, your average American doesn't even know there IS an Undersecretary assigned to international trade. And so long as she's signaling "TPP BAD" it doesn't matter what she says, since no one actually knows what the TPP is anyways. I've had more than one person tell me that the TPP is bad because we shouldn't have free trade with China.

TPP is 70% good, 30% bad.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

TPP is only partly about free trade.

Most of it is establishing US-style IP protections and laws in the rest of the world. They want to standardize business to the way the U.S. does business to make it easier to trade and to make it so China has to adopt U.S. style regulations or get frozen out.

People who don't like U.S. style patent and IP law (generally longer patents than the rest of the world, especially for medical devices and pharmaceuticals) don't like getting the rest of the world on that standard because it would "entrench" U.S. style laws as the norm. Some people are just raging against it because it is a trade bill, but it is mostly about IP.

theblackw0lf posted:

I mean, the parts of the TPP that people I have heard of don't like are the parts Hillary is railing against here, all this "jobs to China" crap. I am not huge on long patent durations for drugs, but I also am not losing any sleep over it since they do expire eventually. It's not a loving Disney situation where copyright just gets extended for ten years every ten years, I mean.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't see how "jobs to China" is a plausible critique of TPP

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
In other good news for women, SCOTUS upheld that a domestic violence conviction counts as a misdemeanor sufficient to restrict access to guns.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/voisine-v-united-states/

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

there wolf posted:

In other good news for women, SCOTUS upheld that a domestic violence conviction counts as a misdemeanor sufficient to restrict access to guns.

Makes sense to me. If you are OK battering someone you "love" you probably don't need access to firearms.

also ofc Thomas dissented

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm at work and can't really follow much closely, has Trump responded to the bitchslap of Texas abortion laws?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The only real argument for TPP is geopolitical against China. Obama/Hillary should create a Pacific NATO if they want that. That would be much more effectual than giant handouts to Disney and pharma corporations

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

icantfindaname posted:

The only real argument for TPP is geopolitical against China. Obama/Hillary should create a Pacific NATO if they want that. That would be much more effectual than giant handouts to Disney and pharma corporations

The TPP will also likely result in quality-of-life improvements for many folks in the SEA countries.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Amergin posted:

The TPP will also likely result in quality-of-life improvements for many folks in the SEA countries.

How so? Improved trade/jobs?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

Yes... this seems like a very informed opinion indeed.

E: Here is the last analysis that I'm aware of, conducted by the International Trade Commission
https://www.usitc.gov/publications/332/pub4607.pdf

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 27, 2016

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Artificer posted:

How so? Improved trade/jobs?

For the most part, yes.

Essentially we're offering trade and financial incentives in return for following the standards of the agreement. For one thing, standardizing trade agreements in the region could reduce high tariffs in these countries. The TPP also includes restrictions requiring the partnering countries to meet standards for labor and environmental regulations. In a way it's colonialism by trade, but forcing these countries to stiffen labor and environmental protocols will likely attract new investors while loosening the grips of local and/or state-owned behemoths. Fewer barriers to entry and more trade partners wanting cheaper goods will hopefully spur competition in these countries, resulting in more variety and cheaper goods on the east side of the Pacific while improving labor conditions and opportunity on the west side. If you want to be really optimistic, the TPP standards could even chip away at sex trafficking with these labor standards and enforcement against human rights violations.

EDIT: To really oversimplify this aspect of the TPP debate, it will likely be really bad for a handful of Americans/westerners (similar to NAFTA and China joining the WTO being a death knell for many "factory towns"), while being a small net positive for Americans/westerners as a whole (via cheaper goods) and a net positive for the developing trading partners.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 27, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

I'm at work and can't really follow much closely, has Trump responded to the bitchslap of Texas abortion laws?

https://mobile.twitter.com/NoahCRothman/status/747465257019379712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

there wolf posted:

This is fantastic news! Man I can not convey how happy this makes me.

• Locked thread