Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sigma-X posted:

Fully clothed, Flat breastplate ladies with long hair are cheesecake now?

yeah people are going a bit overboard in the other direction. i saw somebody call a corset a "boob panel" and then swear off video games in righteous purity or something the other day. i think they also called it bondage gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Gisela with the pink hair and red skirt kinda looks like Lightning.

gonna call her Lightning angel, not to be confused with Lightning Angel.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Uziduke posted:

Whats with all the playable humans being female in this block?

sjw's, amirite

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Excited for board states of 9/10 vigilant lifelinkers vs 9/7 indestructible lifelinkers.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BJPaskoff posted:

I really like meld as a mechanic. It's the best way to do the whole merge-creatures-together effect. It's very flavorful and looks like it's going to play well. But I just know the jumbo-sized top half of the card is going to look ridiculous.

I also keep going back to this, but if I was in charge of printing meld, and the mechanic needed to be on some amount of rares, I'd only make one side (the side with the melding ability) rare and keep the other side uncommon at most*. That way it plays better in limited. As it is, the black common melded creature will be the one on the table in 95% of limited games, and that's going to taint the reception of it. I could see getting lucky and getting the Hanweir one. The red rare is probably a first pick, and the land seems like one of those middle-of-the-pack rares that I'll end up with eight of stuck in my binder. But yeah, mostly it's going to be a Chittering Host, and people are going to complain about only ever seeing that one.

* Except for awesome flavorful things like Brisela which obviously can't happen at uncommon.

It says a lot that its so inherently gimmicky you can barely even put it on any cards.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Angry Grimace posted:

It says a lot that its so inherently gimmicky you can barely even put it on any cards.

So how do you feel about hideaway?

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Hideaway got a full cycle. Full keyworded cycles are not unheard of, like thr epic spells in Kamigawa.

I don't think it's that gimmicky. If it was just a DFC with "sacrifice another rat/zombie/whatever you control, flip this card" it would have most of the functionality of this without all the silly limitations.

I still like it, wish they had done more with it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
It's too bad Delver already did The Fly because a meld version would've easily been the best way to use the mechanic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hideaway was pretty baller.

Meld is pretty underwhelming for like draft but appreciate them taking a risk and trying a thing to see if it's cool.

E: also all three of the printed melds are actually pretty cool and I appreciate that they're almost all worthwhile as individual cards.

Archenteron posted:

Then bumping the toughness up is half the problem of Standard today

Standard is already ruined, let's just get some more cards for eternal so there's something to show for it :smaug:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if you assemble all three melds in the game you get those maro nudes from earlier

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Markovnikov posted:

Hideaway got a full cycle. Full keyworded cycles are not unheard of, like thr epic spells in Kamigawa.

I don't think it's that gimmicky. If it was just a DFC with "sacrifice another rat/zombie/whatever you control, flip this card" it would have most of the functionality of this without all the silly limitations.

I still like it, wish they had done more with it.

The execution is more gimmicky than the idea. I think the GIANT CARDS is more likely to cause a mixed reaction than the practical functionality of "Sacrifice Bruna and flip Gisela."

Also, what am I looking at :allears:

Deck: Modern Double Planeswalkers

//Lands
1 Breeding Pool
4 Forest
2 Gavony Township
1 Horizon Canopy
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Stomping Ground
2 Temple Garden
1 Westvale Abbey
3 Windswept Heath
3 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
2 Blood Moon
1 Chandra, Flamecaller
2 Doubling Season
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Gideon Jura
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
1 Jace, Architect of Thought
4 Nahiri, the Harbinger
3 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
4 Oath of Nissa
1 Ral Zarek
2 Xenagos, the Reveler

//Creatures
4 Arbor Elf
4 Birds of Paradise
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Sylvan Caryatid

//Sideboard
2 Blood Moon
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Fog
3 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Rest in Peace
3 Stony Silence
2 Worship

Display deck statistics

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Ironically if I see you draft one I can easily hate pick the other, since they're dfcs :(

The common meld will probably happen because its common, but I don't think Hanweir will ever happen in draft, If you get one half and the other half is opened, some idiot will hate it away.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The thing that makes me dislike Meld is that it's too obviously a shoehorned-in way to do B.F.M. style cards when all the effects they're doing with it would work just as well without.

Like you could have Hanweir Battlements be a normal double-faced card with Hanweir, the Writhing township on the back, but have the transform ability read "3RR, T, exile a creature you control named Hanweir Garrison: Transform Hanweir Battlements." I suppose it's slightly less flavourful, but voltronning two cards together just seems really horribly awkward when the resulting permanent is something that has to take up space on the battlefield and tap and untap.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

if you assemble all three melds in the game you get those maro nudes from earlier

If these spells keep escalating I'm gonna emerge

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

The thing that makes me dislike Meld is that it's too obviously a shoehorned-in way to do B.F.M. style cards when all the effects they're doing with it would work just as well without.

Like you could have Hanweir Battlements be a normal double-faced card with Hanweir, the Writhing township on the back, but have the transform ability read "3RR, T, exile a creature you control named Hanweir Garrison: Transform Hanweir Battlements." I suppose it's slightly less flavourful, but voltronning two cards together just seems really horribly awkward when the resulting permanent is something that has to take up space on the battlefield and tap and untap.

actually the blink clause is almost always better for meld cards so

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

(card's art is flipped)

Yeah, that's not cheesecake, that's my next D&D character.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rabidsquid posted:

Hold on, trading for foils.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I want meld cards where the front sides are Kamigawa-style flip cards that can only meld while flipped, and the melded side is also a Kamigawa-style flip card.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

I think this is a case where as Maro often says, you shouldn't fight expectations. A random casual player hitting FNM is going to assume that the cmc is the sum of the two cards. People will be confused and annoyed if they are told its something else with no reminder text to support it.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

Too safe and boring. Meld is loving awesome, and I want huge 3- and 4-card melds taking up half my playmat.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what it would be aside from the sum of the two cards' cmc's

but I also think it's dumb for them to not have a cmc indicator in the first place for any of these cards.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Wizards has got a lot better in terms of not having overly sexual art.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Zoness posted:

but I also think it's dumb for them to not have a cmc indicator in the first place for any of these cards.

If you print a casting cost on the back face of a DFC, new players will be confused and think they get to choose which side to cast.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

But Quinton Hoover's art was awesome.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That was never really a problem, a few examples notwithstanding, was it?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Northjayhawk posted:

If you print a casting cost on the back face of a DFC, new players will be confused and think they get to choose which side to cast.

I mean, like, put it in the top right corner of the text box instead of the card frame or something. Realistically I feel like wotc does way too much hand wringing on how players interpret cards but v:shobon:v, it's not like they've printed any cards on the level of dead ringers for being confusing, and being slightly counterintuitive shouldn't mean that a card feels bad to use.

Which is to say, that's not how I think they -should- do it, since they're making money hand over fist. I just feel like they do it to the extent that it makes the game worse in some ways.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Northjayhawk posted:

I mean new players are already gonna be confused when they open a Bruna and the back just has some random bits of art and nothing else.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I just realized that the most important part of meld is the fact that Hanweir's art is going to be appropriately huge so you'll get to see all the details of the horrible man-town conglomerate, it'll be great.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zoness posted:

There's a couple of different ways for them to handle the CMC, as DFCs and Split Cards both have unique rules for how they handle things, and this is kind of both.

But there's no purpose in trying to make it reflect those when it's its own thing, and the flavor of mashing two cards together certainly supports adding them together. It also nicely removes most of the reasons you'd ever give a gently caress about the CMC.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean new players are already gonna be confused when they open a Bruna and the back just has some random bits of art and nothing else.

At that point they text the friend who got them into Magic or ask the guy at the shop whats going on. There's nothing for them to assume or guess. The thing to avoid is doing something where most new people are going to assume that the rules work in a way that it doesn't.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Angry Grimace posted:

i imagine the bit about "melds with [othercard]" will tip them off it's something weird

e: i like how with two of the three melds (gisela/bruna and the black commons) the more expensive one can grab the cheaper one so you don't feel bad playing one-half of the expensive combo on time only for it to get chumped. you just play the expensive one later and either get back the cheaper one or have them both and get back something else entirely.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 27, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Never forget

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

Never forget

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I will be attending my first ever magic event for the prerelease. It will also be the second time I've ever played magic. Gonna feed people some wins.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Rinkles posted:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think I'm more annoyed that they removed the U and R from Bruna and Gisela than I am at them hilariously overpushing the latter in development

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

I think I'm more annoyed that they removed the U and R from Bruna and Gisela than I am at them hilariously overpushing the latter in development

I know! I want to make a Commander deck where both of them start in the command zone. A Jeskai build of the deck would be more fun than mono-white. Yes I know if I'm breaking one rule I might as well break the color identity rule, but have you considered this?: I'm not actually building this Commander deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hanweir Battlements seems like a very strong card, ignoring the meld component for a sec. I don't know if there'll be a deck for it but that looks like a powerful effect at that cheap a cost.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

So enthralling. :allears:

Rinkles posted:

Magic's far from the worst offender in this area, but the problem is that even being 'average' in terms of fantasy art T&A means that sensibly-dressed females are pretty rare, even if there's not a lot of outright cheesecake. I just reorganized a collection with cards from nearly every set, and it did kinda feel like "is there a woman in this art? make sure she's showing her tits and/or legs somehow" was the default until semi recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

• Locked thread