Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
This is why we have a republic, kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Zahi posted:

Makes it easy for a real country to take it back under their wing. :smugdon:

We should just start calling Britain by its proper name. "Airstrip One".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ElGroucho posted:

This is why we have a republic, kids

That'd be a point except for the fact that this was *literally just a public opinion poll* and has no legal significance. It's just an expression of the collective desire. The whole clusterfuck, in the immediate, resulted from the smart ones, the guys running the ship, deciding to *hold* the public opinion poll in the first place. So those stupid fuckers decided to do this, now they're in the burning boat that they set fire to in the first place, and the objection is that the *people* are too damned stupid to be allowed to vote?

And it's *David Cameron*, the guy who decided to hold the referendum in the first place, that's the smart one? How's that working out for him?

This is the best single thing I've read on Brexit, because it's the first thing I've read that actually considers the serious concerns of the people who voted Leave, without just punting and painting them as a bunch of ignorant racists:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/divided-britain-brexit-money-class-inequality-westminster?CMP=share_btn_tw

quote:

Most of all, Brexit is the consequence of the economic bargain struck in the early 1980s, whereby we waved goodbye to the security and certainties of the postwar settlement, and were given instead an economic model that has just about served the most populous parts of the country, while leaving too much of the rest to anxiously decline. Look at the map of those results, and that huge island of “in” voting in London and the south-east; or those jaw-dropping vote-shares for remain in the centre of the capital: 69% in Tory Kensington and Chelsea; 75% in Camden; 78% in Hackney, contrasted with comparable shares for leave in such places as Great Yarmouth (71%), Castle Point in Essex (73%), and Redcar and Cleveland (66%). Here is a country so imbalanced it has effectively fallen over.

If people have money, they voted to stay, if they were poor, they voted to leave. The poor are, in fact, allowed to watch decades of increasing income inequality (London is at this point effectively uninhabitable for the merely middle-class), decades of less and less work, decades of more and more worry, and decide that "Hey, maybe the smart people who are running things aren't actually all that smart," without being attacked in some of the most vile, undemocratic terms I've seen. They've been compared to insects and reptiles in the press. It's really pretty classist in the British sense, hearkening back to a long history of an elite landed gentry who never really enjoyed the idea that the regular people down at the pub should have an equal say in the way things are run.

Which is a big part of the reason I'm enjoying this. Everyone was so! surprised! at the results of the vote, precisely *because* they've spent decades pissing on those people and telling them that it's just a warm spring rain, painting them as ignorant, calling them racists, using mockery and condescension as tools of political argument rather than treating legitimate concerns with the seriousness they deserve. So what are those people going to do when you have a public opinion poll? They're going to tell you what they know you want to hear, and then they're going to go into the voting booth and vote what they actually think. Also a good bit from that Grauniad article:

quote:

Orwell wrote his masterful text The Lion and the Unicorn when Europe was tearing itself apart, and the UK’s isolation was more a matter of righteous principle than political chaos. England, he said, “resembles a family, a rather stuffy Victorian family, with not many black sheep in it but with all its cupboards bursting with skeletons. It has rich relations who have to be kowtowed to and poor relations who are horribly sat upon, and there is a deep conspiracy of silence about the source of the family income.”

With Farage crowing and Johnson and Gove exultant, those words take on a whole new power. And for those of us who woke to the most awful news imaginable, they imply a question we should probably have been asking long before this happened: how do we even begin to put England – and Wales – the right way up? Think about that woman in Collyhurst: “If you’ve got no money, you vote out.” Therein lies not just the against-the-odds triumph of the leavers, but evidence of huge failures that the stunned mainstream of politics has only just begun to acknowledge, let alone do anything about.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Jun 28, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kennel posted:

England is a gift that keeps on giving.

I'll never get over soccer matches being described as "gigantic travesties" or "humiliating losses" when every single one of them has a score of 2-1 or 1-0.

You guys were almost identical, calm down.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

Surprisingly, no. The monarch of the United Kingdom actually maintains quite little power; though she gives power through her position, she has very little ability to directly make proclamations on how the country is run. The UK has maintained its monarchy specifically because of this: there's no reason to overthrow your king and decapitate him when he's not actually doing anything.

She can certainly give guidance and yell at people about issues, but actually trying to take the reins and steer the country herself would be a gigantic upset for the English balance of power. Chances are if she disapproves of Brexit, she's absolutely talking Cameron's ear off about it.
Actually:

quote:

At least 39 bills have been subject to Royal approval, with the senior royals using their power to consent or block new laws in areas such as higher education, paternity pay and child maintenance.
Internal Whitehall papers prepared by Cabinet Office lawyers show that on one occasion the Queen vetoed the Military Actions Against Iraq Bill in 1999, which aimed to transfer the power to authorise military strikes against Iraq from the monarch to parliament.

She was also asked to consent to the Civil Partnership Act in 2004.

In the Whitehall document, which was released following a court order, the Parliamentary Counsel warns that if consent is not given by the royals "a major plank of the bill must be removed".
Legal scholar John Kirkhope, who fought to access the papers following a freedom of information case, said the document revealed senior royals have "real influence and real power".
link

A White Guy posted:

One of the things Elizabeth has done is that she basically took the Royal Family off public money - the Royal Family is entirely self-funded.
Actually:

quote:

Queen in line for £2.8m pay rise in 2017-18
Monarch stands to receive £45.6m from taxpayer unless sovereign grant percentage is reviewed
link

Carbon dioxide posted:

The amount of monarchy-haters in the Netherlands is only 5 or 10%, so the king can reach way more people with his politically neutral speeches.
Actually 21 percent would currently (well, 2013) prefer a republic :eng101:

Sorry, enough republicanism, have some content:

Prince Charles having trash thrown at him:

ekuNNN has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Jun 28, 2016

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

chitoryu12 posted:

I'll never get over soccer matches being described as "gigantic travesties" or "humiliating losses" when every single one of them has a score of 2-1 or 1-0.

If USA's basketball dream team lost to Iceland 100-99 in Olympics playoffs it would definitely be a gigantic travesty and a humiliating loss.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

chitoryu12 posted:

It's pretty devastating to lose to someone who manages to get double your score, it's also very embarrassing to never score at all.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kennel posted:

If USA's basketball dream team lost to Iceland 100-99 in Olympics playoffs it would definitely be a gigantic travesty and a humiliating loss.

They'd deserve it for sending pros. Olympic basketball has no integrity!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

It's pretty devastating to lose to someone who only gets paid 10% of your salary

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nuebot posted:

It's pretty devastating to lose to someone who manages to get double your score, it's also very embarrassing to never score at all.

Australia Women's team loses 7-0 to Under-15 men's side

quote:

In quite some setback ahead of the summer Olympics in Rio, Australia Women's team have lost 7-0 to a Newcastle Jets Under-15 side.

'The Matildas', pictured above in January, are ranked fifth in the FIFA world rankings and have reached the last three World Cup quarter-finals, but saw their confidence hit earlier this week with a humbling at the hands of some kids.

Australia were fielding a heavily rotated side and missing their overseas-based players but still boasted a group of high-profile players ahead of friendlies against New Zealand and Greece Women's teams.

"To be honest we didn't expect that," Gary van Egmond, likely feeling mixed emotions being assistant coach for Australia Women's team and academy director of the Newcastle Jets, told The Huffington Post Australia.

Australia Women regularly test themselves against male teams due to the lack of required local female talent and drew 2-2 on their last clash against teenagers.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Remember when womens basketball had that big push to make it popular about six years ago, and it crashed and burned so hard and so fast because literally no one gave any fucks.

That was embarrassing.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Remember when womens basketball had that big push to make it popular about six years ago, and it crashed and burned so hard and so fast because literally no one gave any fucks.

That was embarrassing.

No one gives a gently caress about the brazilian women's soccer team and ironically their results are ridiculously better than the male team.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Lots of weird crapping on women's sports out of nowhere for some reason?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

zakharov posted:

You're mistaken.

People have been crapping on womens sports since the invention of womens sports.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/doradafan/status/747616422742884352

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Phanatic posted:

That'd be a point except for the fact that this was *literally just a public opinion poll* and has no legal significance. It's just an expression of the collective desire. The whole clusterfuck, in the immediate, resulted from the smart ones, the guys running the ship, deciding to *hold* the public opinion poll in the first place. So those stupid fuckers decided to do this, now they're in the burning boat that they set fire to in the first place, and the objection is that the *people* are too damned stupid to be allowed to vote?

And it's *David Cameron*, the guy who decided to hold the referendum in the first place, that's the smart one? How's that working out for him?

This is the best single thing I've read on Brexit, because it's the first thing I've read that actually considers the serious concerns of the people who voted Leave, without just punting and painting them as a bunch of ignorant racists:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/divided-britain-brexit-money-class-inequality-westminster?CMP=share_btn_tw

If people have money, they voted to stay, if they were poor, they voted to leave. The poor are, in fact, allowed to watch decades of increasing income inequality (London is at this point effectively uninhabitable for the merely middle-class), decades of less and less work, decades of more and more worry, and decide that "Hey, maybe the smart people who are running things aren't actually all that smart," without being attacked in some of the most vile, undemocratic terms I've seen. They've been compared to insects and reptiles in the press. It's really pretty classist in the British sense, hearkening back to a long history of an elite landed gentry who never really enjoyed the idea that the regular people down at the pub should have an equal say in the way things are run.

Which is a big part of the reason I'm enjoying this. Everyone was so! surprised! at the results of the vote, precisely *because* they've spent decades pissing on those people and telling them that it's just a warm spring rain, painting them as ignorant, calling them racists, using mockery and condescension as tools of political argument rather than treating legitimate concerns with the seriousness they deserve. So what are those people going to do when you have a public opinion poll? They're going to tell you what they know you want to hear, and then they're going to go into the voting booth and vote what they actually think. Also a good bit from that Grauniad article:

Dumb loving rednecks hate foreigners and capital cities are too expensive to live in on welfare. Got it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nuebot posted:

I mean sure, technically 2 is better than 1. In the same sense that a baby that dies at the age of 2 was more successful than the infant who died at 1.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean sure, technically 2 is better than 1. In the same sense that a baby that dies at the age of 2 was more successful than the infant who died at 1.

This is one of the dumbest analogies I've ever heard.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

belt posted:

This is one of the dumbest analogies I've ever heard.

The analogy that fails at two words was more successful than the analogy that failed at one.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I didn't see him smashing his knee into the other dudes face initially so I was just thinking "sure the move is hell on the knees but it looks like he executed it fine"

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Testekill posted:

I didn't see him smashing his knee into the other dudes face initially so I was just thinking "sure the move is hell on the knees but it looks like he executed it fine"

Uh... I think he's smashing his knee into the guy's balls. I don't see a face hit at all.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I thought they were talking about the elbow to the junk.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

zakharov posted:

I tried to explain that the womens good fundamentals make up for their inability to dunk!!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

oldpainless posted:

I tried to explain that the womens good fundamentals make up for their inability to dunk!!

Pretend I posted a picture of the Fry doll I had a goon custom-make for me.

That episode has one of the greatest lines in the whole series: "What are you, gay?"

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/eu...tory&soc_trk=tw

quote:

Euro 2016 Steve McManaman exclusive: Iceland is as good as a bye for England - defeat is unthinkable
Yahoo Sport's former England man Steve McManaman insists Roy Hodgson's men will have too much for an ordinary Iceland team that offer very little

e: Nevermind, this is the hottest possible take.

https://twitter.com/TitanicGoal/status/747555115612123136/video/1

Stex T has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Jun 28, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Terrible mma fighters.

"loving FIGHT YOU PUSSY!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onRFBNXgcVA&hd=1

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ekuNNN posted:

Sorry, enough republicanism, have some content:

I'm afraid I don't get it - is the soldier saluting the officer and ignoring the queen?

vvEdit: hilarious

Serephina has a new favorite as of 07:44 on Jun 28, 2016

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Watch the kid in the background, I didn't see it at first

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

RNG posted:

Dumb loving rednecks hate foreigners and capital cities are too expensive to live in on welfare. Got it.

Well not exactly. There are a lot of people who voted "leave" because the EU has basically become a reason as to why the world has either a) Gone wrong or b) Never been right. The free movement of people is seen to be an impediment for British people to achieve jobs, potentially with good reason. There is also a great deal of anger at the very idea that foreign visitors are coming to Britain, not being able to find work, and then claiming benefits. For some reason this makes people more angry than the vast amount of money that is shoveled into the furnace that is the City of London and the attempt to make Pinewood studios into mini-hollywood.

There are a great deal of good reasons that people can dislike the EU. One of my personal ones is that I would prefer if it was less free trade and more raising every nation state inside it up to a set standard of living, a more federalist EU, closer to how the US is. But now? Now there is going to be suffering. People convinced that somehow a great deal of people are either racists or are empowering racists does not help the debate at all. The fact remains though, that a lot of the people at work who voted leave are the sort of utter fuckwits who post a burning EU note to Facebook and shout "FREEEEEDOM" afterr it, does not help matters at all.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Josef bugman posted:

does not help matters at all.

It is very funny, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8yYYMaKQDE

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nerdz posted:

Nuebot posted:

It's pretty devastating to lose to someone who only gets paid 10% of your salary

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Phanatic posted:

If people have money, they voted to stay, if they were poor, they voted to leave.

The entirety of Scotland voted to leave remain btw

nexus6 has a new favorite as of 10:38 on Jun 28, 2016

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

nexus6 posted:

The entirety of Scotland voted to leave btw

Oh, they will soon.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

ekuNNN posted:

Queen in line for £2.8m pay rise in 2017-18
Monarch stands to receive £45.6m from taxpayer unless sovereign grant percentage is reviewed

45.6 million pounds is 0.00008% of the yearly tax receipts collected by the British government. It's literally a statistically insignificant amount of money for the taxpayers to worry about.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cyberia posted:

45.6 million pounds is 0.00008% of the yearly tax receipts collected by the British government. It's literally a statistically insignificant amount of money for the taxpayers to worry about.

That £45M the Queen gets is 15% of the profits from her land ownership.

The other 85%, £300M+, gets given to the treasury, i.e. the taxpayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36643314

Turns out the Queen is pretty good at property investment.

EDIT: bit dull fact, sorry.

spog has a new favorite as of 10:55 on Jun 28, 2016

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I've spent a month in Watford, areas of Kent and Brighton and I never saw a single person campaigning for Leave under 50. Also every person I spoke to eventually boiled down to complaining about immigrants. Currently moving to Kent with my husband because recent changes in his sector have made his job skill set incredibly rare. We chose england because the pay was slightly higher than the rest of europe and we have family near by.

edit: I guess the shadenfreude is that if we filthy immigrants get thrown out we'll simply move to the continent and make some onion eating frenchman very rich instead of a member of gods chosen race?

plain blue jacket has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Jun 28, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
http://i.imgur.com/VobANnv.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/NewP2yZ.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/MIcSvRJ.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/aTDKZDn.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007