Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Yeah the Stranger, I seem to remember Dan Savage occasionally publishes stuff about abusive right wing cult groups but I forget what they call it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My own position in the matter is that I'm expecting a few years from now to be driving home from work with Fresh Air on the radio, and they have you on to talk about all this.

:rms: Or This American Life!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Amy Goodman or John Oliver come to mind as well. They like to do hour long exposes on things.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Loel posted:

Amy Goodman or John Oliver come to mind as well. They like to do hour long exposes on things.

Jon Oliver would be just fantastic!

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
Guys. Stop. Don't get too excitable. Pester needs to finish writing her poo poo down and show it to several people first before going forward. Part of schizophrenia is drawing connections between ideas or things that have no logical basis for being connected. poo poo may creep through unexpectedly.

Not saying you're full of poo poo, not at all. But if there's one misconnection in what is otherwise a very complicated thing, your case is shot.

Channel your inner bapcia. Keep writing. Stay anonymous. Build your home. And bide your loving time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kristov posted:

Guys. Stop. Don't get too excitable. Pester needs to finish writing her poo poo down and show it to several people first before going forward. Part of schizophrenia is drawing connections between ideas or things that have no logical basis for being connected. poo poo may creep through unexpectedly.

Not saying you're full of poo poo, not at all. But if there's one misconnection in what is otherwise a very complicated thing, your case is shot.

Channel your inner bapcia. Keep writing. Stay anonymous. Build your home. And bide your loving time.

This is probably the most reasonable advice.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Josef bugman posted:

Jon Oliver would be just fantastic!

I'm a huge Oliver fan, but the man himself insists that he's not a journalist. In the event, I'd recommend contacting everyone you can find who appears to still do actual investigative journalism in the hopes that you eventually find one who bites, but I'm also thirding chilling out and continuing to work.

PJ, you know better than basically anyone who's posted in this thread what's at stake, you know on what scale, you know what kind of human beings are behind it and you know how far they'll be willing to go to hide who they really are and what they've really done from the general mass of people who don't lack compassion or empathy. Your first responsibility has to be to maintain yourself in the now so that you can eventually position yourself to make the strongest possible attempt at striking.

Also, nth-ing that you are are not responsible for the damage that your abuser continues to do, in exactly the same way that you are not responsible for what your abuser did to you. I've said before that I have nothing but the greatest possible respect for the strength of character and of purpose that it must have taken you to not just survive what you have, but to come out of it as a whole (if banged-up) person.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Kristov posted:

not emptyquote eh

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Prester Jane posted:

(I still have the family recipe for chicken paprikash.)
Couple pages back, but can you share this? :3: I understand if it's a family secret, though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Seconded

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

AmiYumi posted:

Couple pages back, but can you share this? :3: I understand if it's a family secret, though.

Literally 100% of all secret family recipes passed down from generation to generation are, "Exactly what it says in every cookbook you've ever read, then add some diced jalapenos." If this recipe happens to be a freak exception to that rule, I also want to see it, because I like chicken paprikash.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Centripetal Horse posted:

Literally 100% of all secret family recipes passed down from generation to generation are, "Exactly what it says in every cookbook you've ever read, then add some diced jalapenos." If this recipe happens to be a freak exception to that rule, I also want to see it, because I like chicken paprikash.

Eh, never a big fan of Jalapenos myself. Would like to see the recipe too.

"Decoding Authoritarians: A Schizophrenic teaches us how to cook"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Me neither, and I already put bell peppers in my paprikash.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Halloween Jack posted:

Me neither, and I already put bell peppers in my paprikash.

Bell peppers are good. Not sure about them in paprikash but they're good.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rick_Hunter posted:

Bell peppers are good. Not sure about them in paprikash but they're good.

Well, that's what we Balkans folk often use in paprikash (along with other kinds of paprika), and I'm pretty sure we're the lead authority on delicious methods of preparing it... :v:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Krampus Grewcock posted:

Similarly to Cracked, you could try getting into contact with http://www.thestranger.com/, Seattle's alt culture free newspaper. Since it's a weekly publication, your story could easily be serialized. They usually do local people's stories, but you have a pretty extraordinary story to tell.

oh yeah, The Stranger is exactly the sort of publication that would be really down with publishing a personal account of the horrors of ACE. Also, they're probably one of the most respected and widely-read alt weeklies in the country (one of their writers won a Pulitzer). PJ, once you have something that holds together as a cohesive narrative, I would suggest looking into seeing whether The Stranger would be interested. The thing that would be more appealing to them, though, is something that interweaves your own personal experiences with the horrors of ACE, more than a dry fact-based account. I think, to The Stranger, the fact that you're a trans woman dealing with schizophrenia might be more of a positive than a negative.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's my great-grandmother's recipe but it's not really anything particularly fancy or special, I doubt it differs that much from a standard paprikash recipe. That said I'll dig it up later on and post it. I am pleasantly surprised that there are so many goons who appreciate good paprikash though :D (As long as you serve it over spaetzle the way God intended, and not over rice like the filthy Hungarians do.)

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
What about kasha :ohdear:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

neonnoodle posted:

What about kasha :ohdear:

Never tried kasha, so unable to comment.

FYI if you want to see SA's own little collection of Narrativists then I highly recommend the GOP Collapse thread in YCS. It's got about a dozen pro-Trump Narrativists hanging out in it. As expected they have started to embrace 9-11 conspiracy theories, as well as using "globalists" as such an obvious Outer Narrative for "Jews" that they are getting called out on it by half the thread.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Its amazing :allears:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

It's a laugh-riot. Especially when one followed it from the primary to the general.

Can you believe those stupid motherfuckers thought a frog would get the Don elected?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Samovar posted:

It's a laugh-riot. Especially when one followed it from the primary to the general.

Can you believe those stupid motherfuckers thought a frog would get the Don elected?

It got him the primary :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Loel posted:

It got him the primary :v:

Which one of the 16 was the frog?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Turns out the frog was us all along.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Prester Jane posted:

Never tried kasha, so unable to comment.

FYI if you want to see SA's own little collection of Narrativists then I highly recommend the GOP Collapse thread in YCS. It's got about a dozen pro-Trump Narrativists hanging out in it. As expected they have started to embrace 9-11 conspiracy theories, as well as using "globalists" as such an obvious Outer Narrative for "Jews" that they are getting called out on it by half the thread.
This thread?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Yes.

DrPlump posted:

Trump has had a lot of friction with Fox host Meagon Kelly. Kelly is the most attractive, white, blond “strong independent” women on Fox. She is the darling of the network and the conservative media in a lot of ways. Donald Trump has had some run-ins with her where she's tried to destroy his frame by calling him a misogynist. This is a very direct and effective tactic a women like her can use. She’s attractive and knows it, and can smell even the slightest sense of intimidation in a man. Her acuity for spotting a weak frame is likely far more developed than most normal women’s senses. She knows she can manipulate most men with shame, pressure, directness, event flirtation. These are the tools that the world has shown her work on men. Except when she runs into guys like Donald Trump. Trump can immediately spot manipulation and bullshit in people. More importantly he can spot a situation that WILL NOT be beneficial to him. He saw that situation with Kelly when he was put on the spot by her on national television. She unleashed a super effective shaming tactic on him that he handled perfectly. He stuck to his conviction and didn’t let her topple him. He never looked nervous, and most importantly he never conceived EVEN AN INCH. He then went on to trash talk her and call her a bimbo and refused to debate if she was the moderator.

Trump effectively risked being seen as a huge rear end in a top hat (moreso than already) simply because he stuck to his convictions. This is a vital lesson to all men. Never ever let the hottest girl in the room manipulate you and break your frame. Never give in. Let’s say you’re having an argument with a hot girl at a party. Tension is rising and people are noticing you arguing with her. She can sense every little change in your comfort level, and she will exploit it without remorse to get her way. She will not feel bad for making you crack and feel nervous. Pressure and nervousness make you doubt your convictions, it generates the voice in your head that says “maybe I’m wrong, maybe this person has a point and I’m being an rear end in a top hat.” “all these people think I’m an rear end in a top hat, I should give in a little bit”. DO NOT listen to this voice. This voice is social pressure changing your state and influencing your inner beliefs. This happens a lot around hot girls and conflict.

Let’s say you are flirting with a hot girl at a party. Maybe you say something uncalibrated and she takes offense. She then calls you out on it. Ask yourself, “what would Donald Trump do?” would he apologize? Nope! Even if you make a mistake, NEVER apologize to a girl. Especially when you’re in public. Sometimes you need to welcome the incoming conflict that develops. Don’t run away from it with the excuse of “I don’t want to rock the boat” or “I will look like an rear end in a top hat” This is EXACTLY what the girl wants you to do and think. This is not about who is right or wrong. You can be 100% wrong and you should STILL stick to your beliefs. I have seen plenty of situations where the person who is wrong still come out on top because they didn’t let some bully or hot chick break their frame.

If you get into a frame battle with a chick, accept it and do not back down. Most people, especially girls will be submissive to people who stick to their convictions no matter what. If a situation needs to turn ugly or awkward because of it. LET IT. Being a man means allowing that poo poo to happen. Do not be afraid of awkward conflicts. Donald Trump isn’t, and he’s kicking rear end regardless if you like him or not.

Stick to your guns.

Don’t be afraid of awkward confrontations and conflict.

Don’t be afraid of being wrong and looking bad in front of others.

Never feel guilt for your beliefs and apologize.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Are we sure that's not a joke post?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It's already been established that YCS is full of hitlers who use Jewish echoes, so probably not.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

chitoryu12 posted:

Are we sure that's not a joke post?

It's a block quote from somewhere. The real fun stuff was yesterday where there were some legit defenses of Trump where because "the globalists" don't like him he's good (I'm not sure what else you'd call a guy who has his shirts made in China, who runs golf courses in Scotland but a Globalist but w/e).
It was a nifty little microcosm of how easy it is to project whatever you want onto his leathery orange hide.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, it's strange to me that far right wingers would embrace a guy on the basis that he's not a member of the economic rentier class, when his membership in that class is the only reason he's famous.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

It's what happens when, to use PJ's example, you try to play chess with half the pieces invisible to you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If you look at it it also illustrates a central narrativist and right wing, macho point; you must never, ever admit to being wrong. You must never show weakness. They divide the world into predators and prey then decide they're apex predators while everybody else is there for them to prey on. Obviously the others want to become predators and are going to try but we are stronger and will not let them. Everything the others do is an attack on our status as predators so fight back and show no weakness.

A guy like trump can't stand not being in control so of course he's going to puff up and refuse to let a mere moderator get away with that. Of course he also responded like a child by taking his ball and going home.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

It's already been established that YCS is full of hitlers who use Jewish echoes, so probably not.

Did that happen because of "Gamer Gate?" I haven't paid any attention to YCS since ever, since video game console wars are the stupidest thing to care about. To learn that gamers are full of insecure man-baby Trump lovers is not surprising, but doesn't bode well for my favorite hobby.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wrong YCS. We're talking about the election forum.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Did that happen because of "Gamer Gate?" I haven't paid any attention to YCS since ever, since video game console wars are the stupidest thing to care about. To learn that gamers are full of insecure man-baby Trump lovers is not surprising, but doesn't bode well for my favorite hobby.

Certainly some overlap, but YCS = Your Candidate Sucks

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Woolie Wool posted:

So what is with all the fascists deciding to completely remove all plausible deniability?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

xthetenth posted:

So what is with all the fascists deciding to completely remove all plausible deniability?

Same with legislating anti-abortion measures as women's health - once the farce has been discovered and shot down there's no point in continuing. Sieg Trump.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I suspect that is probably what is going to happen now that people are suddenly regretting brexit. Facists in the street and a spike in racist violence and suddenly everyone who considers themselves not a racist who voted for leave is having second thoughts.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Josef bugman posted:

I suspect that is probably what is going to happen now that people are suddenly regretting brexit. Facists in the street and a spike in racist violence and suddenly everyone who considers themselves not a racist who voted for leave is having second thoughts.

I doubt it'll do a single thing to the real diehard narrativists that apparently infest Britain, but I hope that it might serve as a warning to others as to what happens when you let these delusions fester long enough. Of course the mindless crowing of right wingers in the US over this macho display completely ignoring the economic and social self-destruction make that less likely. No doubt, they'll blame it all on minorities and immigrants pushing brave hardworking TRUE Brits.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you look at it it also illustrates a central narrativist and right wing, macho point; you must never, ever admit to being wrong. You must never show weakness. They divide the world into predators and prey then decide they're apex predators while everybody else is there for them to prey on. Obviously the others want to become predators and are going to try but we are stronger and will not let them. Everything the others do is an attack on our status as predators so fight back and show no weakness.

A guy like trump can't stand not being in control so of course he's going to puff up and refuse to let a mere moderator get away with that. Of course he also responded like a child by taking his ball and going home.

It really shows the childish insecurity at the heart of all this where you must be the biggest, toughest guy on the playground. Admitting fault is a mortal sin so anybody questioning you is just trying to steal all your power out of jealousy or too dumb to know how the world works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

xthetenth posted:

They have all spent so much time in their echo chambers that they have convinced themselves that they are not only the true majority, but that they are on the verge of seizing power for themselves. Trump winning the primary has validated the fantasies of his Narrativist supporters to such a degree that they feel they now have social sanction to live according to the dictates of their Inner Narrative. Which when brought out looks childish, petty, and stupid to everyone who isn't a Narrativist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyNRU0aJsEM

Cactus posted:

It's what happens when, to use PJ's example, you try to play chess with half the pieces invisible to you.

Narrativists select their leadership based entirely upon whom they perceive as presenting the most credible threat to The Enemy. Everything that doesn't compose to their delusion that their chosen leader is going to lead them into smashing the enemy is simply discarded, resulting in them ignoring large chunks of reality. In a sense, they are playing chess while half the pieces are invisible to them. No matter what game plan they ultimately concoct in order to achieve their goals, it will really only make sense to them. To anyone who can see the entire game board as it is set out, what they are doing looks irrational and random, if not outright self-defeating. If you could perceive the game board the way they do, (that is only seeing the pieces that they want to see), then their strategy would make more sense.

Another factor with videos like the above is that Narrativists presume literally everyone else in the world perceives reality just like they do, and as a result they feel that what appeals to them will appeal much more universally than it actually does.

Taken altogether this is why I have consistently predicted for a long time now that Trump would go down in flames. It's because he's an incompetent leader with a delusional fan base up against a very competent leader running a very well proffessional organization. There's just nothing they can actually do to win, no matter how you set up the game board they will always ignore whatever is a real vulnerability in favor of embracing their delusion, so even if the deck was stacked in their favor they would still find a way to lose. Let alone in the current situation wherein a Republican that was even a decent candidate running a competent campaign would be up against a massive handicap.

"An unruly mob is no more an army than a pile of materials is a house" absolutely applies here. Because Narrativists absolutely do not understand how to objectively analyze reality and create a strategy based in reality, they are unable to win in any situation except for where Narrativism has seized control of a sufficientry large portion of the population to truly disrupt society. They will be an unruly mob that believes itself to be an invincible army (backed by the God-Force) right up until the moment that it all comes crashing around down their ears. When that happens of course they will scream that the enemy cheated somehow, because from their point of view the enemy will only have won because it exploited one of those weaknesses that they all agreed did not actually exist. The problem can never be that the Inner Narrative is false, or that the power of the God-Force isn't real, the problem is always because the enemy is even more dastardly than they could have imagined.

Consider for example the way the Malheur Refuge standoff ended. They rounded up almost the entire leadership in a single felony stop. The leadership was genuinely shocked that they were arrested too, and remain convinced that it was cheating somehow. Right after this happens, Cliven Bundy openly declared that he was coming out to the Refuge to take control of the situation, and then proceeded to fly on a commercial flight into Oregon Kama which resulted in his arrest. It never occurred to Bundy to really consider that the federal government would take advantage of his stupidity, because in order to think that way would require him to have a much more sound grasp on reality than he does.

Owing to a Narrativists inability to objectively perceive reality, a Narrativist will always walk into a trap you didn't even realize you set if you just wait long enough. As a result Trump's attempts to pivot and run a better campaign are fairly meaningless, because he will never be able to build a competent organisation or get his supporters to adhere to a reasonable strategy. He and his followers are mutually feeding off of each other's illness, his narcissism is getting validated through the adulation he receives, and the internet have of his supporters is being validated by having their true champion lead them into battle against The Enemy.

More or less I think what we are witnessing play out right now is a smaller and much less competent version of the wave of Narrativism that swept Hitler into power. (The Nazi's did not drink their own kool-aid until they had already seized power.) Ironically if America truly were a White Protestant Nation then there would be a real chance of trump becoming the next president because the Narrativism wave he is riding would be much larger. However, as a result of America's multiculturalism and diversity, Trump's influence has some very hard limits in how far it can spread. I expect his campaign will amount to little more than a tremendously embarrassing spectacle that will be regarded by historians as what killed off the Republican Party.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 30, 2016

• Locked thread