Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
And suddenly I'm curious about Epic. Good thing I have no money left atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Epic in the standard 1v1 is fun if you don't take it seriously.

The missions loving own, though. Like, for real. The missions that come with the Gozanti are thematic, fairly well balanced, and even have rudimentary branching story paths.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Epic in the standard 1v1 is fun if you don't take it seriously.

The missions loving own, though. Like, for real. The missions that come with the Gozanti are thematic, fairly well balanced, and even have rudimentary branching story paths.

The Imperial missions are way more fun to be honest. Also running escalation games with Epic ships in an in house thing is the most ridiculous fun. I mentioned it ages ago but 150 point games requiring the Rebel Transport or Gozanti are tonnes of fun.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

General Battuta posted:

General Battuta vs Talas is up now! star wars x wang, lljk

Wedgefist vs Palp Aces, Wampa flavor!

Finished, my loss 100-27.

Wedge packs a big punch :saddowns:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Are the Raider missions as cool and fun as the Gozanti missions? I'm still toying with the idea of being really irresponsible with my money and buying one at some point.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Talas posted:

Finished, my loss 100-27.

Wedge packs a big punch :saddowns:

This score brings General Battuta's final MOV for phase 1 to exactly 1000.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

Are the Raider missions as cool and fun as the Gozanti missions? I'm still toying with the idea of being really irresponsible with my money and buying one at some point.

The Gozanti has the best missions, but the Raider is pretty close.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Can't say I'm super happy about the SV fixes coming in a huge ship. But it is what it is. It looks decent, though I've yet to play Epic even with owning the Raider and Transport. And knowing me I'd want to buy a CR-90 to try and use. :negative:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Eimi posted:

Can't say I'm super happy about the SV fixes coming in a huge ship. But it is what it is. It looks decent, though I've yet to play Epic even with owning the Raider and Transport. And knowing me I'd want to buy a CR-90 to try and use. :negative:

Play the campaigns, they're fun.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Peep this interaction with Tomax Bren

Tomax Bren (24)
Cool Hand (1)
Systems Officer (2)
Fleet Officer (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE Shuttle (0)

Total: 31

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Guy on my facebook shared this
"Do a green maneuver, clear stress, assign a TL to an ally, assign two focus tokens to allies (or ally+ self), proc cool hand off the fleet officer's stress to give yourself a focus or evade token, flip cool hand back up with Tomax Bren. Perform one of nine green maneuvers to repeat the process."

Without using your action, handing out a target lock and 2 focus tokens each turn to friendly ships, and ending up with a focus or evade token for your troubles :eyepop:
Finally, a use for Cool Hand

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

canyoneer posted:

Tomax Bren (24)
Cool Hand (1)
Systems Officer (2)
Fleet Officer (3)
TIE Shuttle (0)

"Do a green maneuver, clear stress, assign a TL to an ally, assign two focus tokens to allies (or ally+ self), proc cool hand off the fleet officer's stress to give yourself a focus or evade token, flip cool hand back up with Tomax Bren. Perform one of nine green maneuvers to repeat the process."

Without using your action, handing out a target lock and 2 focus tokens each turn to friendly ships, and ending up with a focus or evade token for your troubles :eyepop:

:eyepop:

It's like an AWACS plane, but in space.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Endman posted:

:eyepop:

It's like an AWACS plane, but in space.

A SPAWACS if you will.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Eimi posted:

that pic is fake as hell

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I posted that Tomax build five pages ago.

Some Numbers posted:

Tomax Bren (24)
Cool Hand (1)
Systems Officer (2)
Fleet Officer (3)
TIE Shuttle (0)

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
There are gonna be a couple of fun Tomax builds.

TIE Bomber: · Tomax Bren (24)
Lightning Reflexes (1)
TIE Shuttle (0)
Tactician (2)
· Mara Jade (3)

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
31 point ship with 2 attack dice, no shields, and can't do it's big trick while doing anything but a bank. Meh. I'd drop the Cool Hand and just do the same thing on a PS 2 ship for 9 points less, minus the free evade/focus.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

KongGeorgeVII posted:

There are gonna be a couple of fun Tomax builds.

TIE Bomber: · Tomax Bren (24)
Lightning Reflexes (1)
TIE Shuttle (0)
Tactician (2)
· Mara Jade (3)

I think I'd rather have Rebel Captive than Mara Jade

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Haven't heard from Gate or Langolas re: those games, I assume you'll want them ASAP if I haven't missed the window.. I'm at http://steamcommunity.com/id/sadeviant

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

that pic is fake as hell

Was it proved fake? I mean it's not like FFG hasn't bundled fix cards with epic ships before.

Also kinda going back to maneuvering and how fun ships with maneuvering options are, what if instead of boosting attack S-Foils came out and reduced cost and then basically gave you Juno's ability, Attack position is can change one down, Cruise is can change one up. It's not a boost or barrel roll but it'd be options?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Deviant posted:

Haven't heard from Gate or Langolas re: those games, I assume you'll want them ASAP if I haven't missed the window.. I'm at http://steamcommunity.com/id/sadeviant

Sorry been pretty busy, I'll try and hit you up tonight. Should be free.

Edit: also there's a Reddit thread where a guy breaks down the scum image and concludes it's probably faked. Looks like someone just photoshopped the ships over one of the other leaks.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 28, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Gate posted:

31 point ship with 2 attack dice, no shields, and can't do it's big trick while doing anything but a bank. Meh. I'd drop the Cool Hand and just do the same thing on a PS 2 ship for 9 points less, minus the free evade/focus.

Its "big trick" is using Fleet Officer to pass out three focus tokens, which means all it needs is to be stress free and a Bomber with TIE Mk II has 9 green maneuvers.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Eimi posted:

Was it proved fake? I mean it's not like FFG hasn't bundled fix cards with epic ships before.

Also kinda going back to maneuvering and how fun ships with maneuvering options are, what if instead of boosting attack S-Foils came out and reduced cost and then basically gave you Juno's ability, Attack position is can change one down, Cruise is can change one up. It's not a boost or barrel roll but it'd be options?

I think there should be either more titles or ship specific upgrades. Release a new line of updated existing ships that have alternate paint jobs on them with multiple titles and ship specific upgrades. Call it an Upgrade Drop. Give underused ships a breath of fresh stuff to make them competitive or introduce more viable combinations to the meta so that it's just the same lists going in all the time.

I'd love to see Rogue Squadron titles for X-Wings, and new ones for Y-Wings and B-Wings.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
So uh how about that HWK and 3 syck in the Lothal open final?

Haven't watched it yet, or checked the results but it was up against 3 uboats so...

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Some Numbers posted:

Its "big trick" is using Fleet Officer to pass out three focus tokens, which means all it needs is to be stress free and a Bomber with TIE Mk II has 9 green maneuvers.

Which means it has to do greens, which means it can only bank or straight. No hard turns or K-turn allowed, which sucks. If I'm paying 31 points for a ship (more than a Palpshuttle) I want it to do work.

Really though the big strike is that you gain almost nothing putting this on Tomax over a generic. Cool Hand every turn isn't worth 9 10 points over:

TIE Bomber: Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16)
TIE Shuttle (0)
Systems officer (2)
Fleet Officer (3)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Eimi posted:

Stealing my ideas. :argh: but I'm too lazy to go find that post again.

Comedy option: let B-wings use it too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

canyoneer posted:

Tomax Bren (24)
Cool Hand (1)
Systems Officer (2)
Fleet Officer (3)
TIE Shuttle (0)

Except for that price why not thave a palp shuttle, the benefits are easier to share out, it's more durable and got a better attack. I'll never understand people who want to use Tomax for anything other the Crack Shot.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
It's not a bad idea and would help the Aces some, but I think I liked the reactive upgrades more than speed changing ones. Changing speed is nice, but honestly going from speed 2 to 3 or 1 on a bank isn't that crazy if you have to choose ahead of time whether you go up or down. Changing maneuvers would be awesome though.

I know we chatted about something allowing you to boost/barrel roll when the enemy left your arc or revealed certain maneuvers, and those sound fun. Or something that took away options from an enemy in arc (which I think would need to be a discard upgrade or a pilot ability).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ringo Star Get posted:

I think there should be either more titles or ship specific upgrades. Release a new line of updated existing ships that have alternate paint jobs on them with multiple titles and ship specific upgrades. Call it an Upgrade Drop. Give underused ships a breath of fresh stuff to make them competitive or introduce more viable combinations to the meta so that it's just the same lists going in all the time.

I'd love to see Rogue Squadron titles for X-Wings, and new ones for Y-Wings and B-Wings.

Interesting fact: Rogue Squadron only appears in the battle for Hoth in the films. I had assumed that they were also in the Deathstar 2 battle but nope, just Hoth.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Improbable Lobster posted:

Interesting fact: Rogue Squadron only appears in the battle for Hoth in the films. I had assumed that they were also in the Deathstar 2 battle but nope, just Hoth.

The old EU explained that by saying they bore the title of the original Death Star attack run squads. But yeah unless there's been a new book about it, we could say they prob dissolved the squadron and shared the best pilots amongst the rest of the fleet, top gun style.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Strobe posted:

I posted a suggestion for it at some point earlier in the thread, but it was something along the lines of:

S-foils: Attack Position

After you perform an attack that hits, you may spend one focus token in order to deal 1 normal damage to the defender.

Action: Flip this card. You may only perform this action after executing a maneuver.

S-foils: Cruise Position

Increase the speed of revealed maneuvers by 1. After you execute a maneuver, you may assign one evade token to your ship. Reduce your primary attack value by 1.

EDIT: and obviously, Action: Flip this card. You may only perform this action after executing a maneuver.

Things that I would change (or did, at some point, because I know it's come up at least once): Cruise Position evade token happens after a green maneuver, not any maneuver. Attack Position changed to "When attacking, you may choose to roll an additional attack die. If you do, cancel one die before the compare dice results step", also allows maneuvers to be reduced by 1. Definitely missed another reply on this topic when I was going through the thirty five loving pages of my posts in this topic.

Contemplating replacing the "Action:" header with "At the start of the Command Phase, you may flip this card".

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Strobe posted:

Stealing my ideas. :argh: but I'm too lazy to go find that post again.

Comedy option: let B-wings use it too.

B's and Y's need some way to make the Aces worth using compared to the generics, which is my main problem for them. At least for the Y I'd love to see something like reinforced armor, after shields are down add an evade result to defense roll, or something like that. Make it cost a lot or have a ps requirement as nonsensical as that is to keep it from generics. I also know hp is 'armor' but it doesn't quite work in my head that way, and they certainly are not hard to kill.

And I know you mentioned changing maneuvers one up on Cruise before. I like just stealing Juno, as after Jake she's my favorite pilot to fly, and I don't entirely know if Xwings, or the game, need more consistent big hits from 3 dice primary ships.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 28, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Considering how often Angled Deflectors come up in the OT I'm surprised there isn't a modification or something based on them. Maybe a Rebel only mod that gives you an extra evade die when your attacker is in your arc?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hull isn't armor any more than hit points is vitality. It's an abstract notion of resiliency and has been used to that effect already with the YT 1300 and Tel Travura. They can make it more palatable to the "physics engine" grognard crowd by calling it resilience or determination to live and it fits the flavor of high PS pilots as well.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Y-wing "aces" have to be updated or replaced with better abilities and EPT slot. Unless they are scum aces, lol.

B-wing aces would be fine with an across the board points decrease.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Chill la Chill posted:

Hull isn't armor any more than hit points is vitality. It's an abstract notion of resiliency and has been used to that effect already with the YT 1300 and Tel Travura. They can make it more palatable to the "physics engine" grognard crowd by calling it resilience or determination to live and it fits the flavor of high PS pilots as well.

I think the generic YT 1300 with lower hull was supposed to represent some schmuck flying a stock YT, and not the super modified Millennium Falcon.
These days they would have represented it better by the title like the Punishing One title.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Eimi posted:

B's and Y's need some way to make the Aces worth using compared to the generics, which is my main problem for them. At least for the Y I'd love to see something like reinforced armor, after shields are down add an evade result to defense roll, or something like that. Make it cost a lot or have a ps requirement as nonsensical as that is to keep it from generics. I also know hp is 'armor' but it doesn't quite work in my head that way, and they certainly are not hard to kill.

And I know you mentioned changing maneuvers one up on Cruise before. I like just stealing Juno, as after Jake she's my favorite pilot to fly, and I don't entirely know if Xwings, or the game, need more consistent big hits from 3 dice primary ships.

Straight up adding evade results is... generally not as interesting as adding dice, even though it's explicitly better. Reliability in a dice game is a fantastic way to make something the One True Build and that's not good from a design space angle. See: Scouts, Autothrusters, Palpatine, ATC on most TIE Advanced Aces, x7 for anyone not named Vessery.

I'd be totally happy with some things that let Y-wings roll more dice, though, particularly if it happened primarily when the target was out of arc.

Angled Deflectors
Modification, 2 pts
Rebel only, small ship only.

When defending, if the attacker is outside of your primary firing arc, you may roll 1 additional defense die.

Alternately:

Automated Threat Tracking
Modification, 2 pts
small ship only.

When defending, if the attacker is outside of your primary firing arc, you may receive one stress token in order to change any number of [focus] results to [evade] results.

EDIT: Perhaps have a mounting requirement based on hull/shields? I don't think that's ever come up in an upgrade requirement yet, and could be an interesting way to buff things like generic K-wings and Y-wings.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 28, 2016

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Well when buffing the Y I don't really feel the generics need help so much as the meta needs to shift. They were fairly costed and provided good effects, to the point where they did everything you wanted so why pay to upgrade to an ace? Sort of the opposite of the Corran problem. As for the K wing I think it's also okay just not what the meta needs, you could raw buff it, but if the meta shifts it might end up too strong.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
"Okay but not what the meta needs" is easily restated as "not good in the current meta" which is the definition of underperforming. Which is beside the point, since any K-wing buff is incidental and related only to the edit I made mentioning potential hull/shield requirements for the modifications mentioned.

Most other Rebel small ships already have modifications they want to take and would take in place of this one, but having options is nice. A-wings want Autothrusters; B-wings want either nothing (for cost), Chips, or crew; T-65s want Integrated something bad or (maybe) Chips; T-70s want Autothrusters or Integrated; Z-95s want nothing (for cost); the Attack Shuttle usually wants Engine Upgrade for pilot abilities; K-wings want either nothing (for cost) or Advanced SLAM (for mines).

The Y-wing, K-wing, and HWK are the ships that would benefit most from that modification, thanks to having the ability to bring weapons that allow response against targets triggering the modification anyway. And Biggs, I guess, if you want him with a slightly cheaper Stealth Device that can't be shot off.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Finster had some really really bad green dice, combined with my list's gimmick of denying/rerolling evades. I won 100-0 100-20. Latts was down to no shields.

Conc Missiles got 2 more damage through the next turn, and Latts blew 4 dice into her, getting 2 hits, and made her reroll the 3 evades she rolled naturally. All blanks.

EDIT:
Black Sun Ace (23)
Crack Shot (1)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Glitterstim (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Black Sun Ace (23)
Crack Shot (1)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Glitterstim (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Latts Razzi (33)
Tractor Beam (1)
4-LOM (1)
Zuckuss (1)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Inertial Dampeners (1)

Total: 100

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

... ATC on most TIE Advanced Aces, x7 for anyone not named Vessery.

To be fair, ATC is really only good on Vader and Maarek. Juno is much better off with AC so she can focus on positioning with VI. All the generics want AC as well.

The x7 title is also a weird place, unfortunately. The free evade is amazing, but the reason no one beside Vessery wants the other title has two additional reasons:

1) Defenders are too expensive, x7 reduces that cost nicely. In addition to adding the evade.

2) Most Defenders can't actually modify dice for two attacks, so the D title is not actually great for them.

Like, I could potentially see a LW or Predator Rexler with the D title being pretty good, but then you compare that to Vessery, and it's like, why bother? Just use him instead. The x7 option is already very good, and the other option being so awkward to actually use just makes it a no brainer choice, which is too bad.

I do like your idea of letting the X-Wings swap foils without an action, though. That was my big complaint about the original proposal. I still think they need something to deal with arc dodging because otherwise you can still really only use the high (8-9) PS pilots and Biggs, which sucks when there's so many other cool pilots available.

• Locked thread