Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Doubtful. How many SC omnis has DC released so far?

They have done things like Geoff Johns flash, which was just changing the omnibus into a couple of soft covers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

It's Vertigo, but they did the same thing with Y the Last Man, reprinting the hardcovers as TPBs. And they're reprinting the whole run of 52 in 2 TPBs coming up this year.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: They've reprinted Jack Kirby 'omnibuses' from hard to softcover, but those were pretty slim.

That's what I was thinking about. I have softcovers of OMAC and Fourth World, which were first printed as hardcovers.

They also started printing the Starman omnibus in softcover, but I think they never finished that series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC's Omnibus line consists of like 4 different formats. None of the the large oversized books have been reprinted as a single volume.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Uthor posted:

That's what I was thinking about. I have softcovers of OMAC and Fourth World, which were first printed as hardcovers.

They also started printing the Starman omnibus in softcover, but I think they never finished that series.

Same with JLI, only worse. They reprinted hardcover volumes 1-4 as TPBs, came out with 5-6 as TPBs only, and then quit entirely, when there could have been at least six or eight more.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Same with JLI, only worse. They reprinted hardcover volumes 1-4 as TPBs, came out with 5-6 as TPBs only, and then quit entirely, when there could have been at least six or eight more.

Oh, I'm well aware of what they did with JLI. :bang:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Some interesting new solicits I saw today include Star Wars Epic Collection: The Clone Wars Vol. 1 by John Ostrander and Jan Duursema (:fap:) and a new Peter David Hulk Epic Collection, which will include Future Imperfect (which is surprising because they reprinted that story on its own fairly recently).

They're also doing an Alpha Flight by John Byrne omnibus. This will make five omnibuses with John Byrne's name on them (two FF volumes, a miscellaneous "Marvel Universe by John Byrne" one that came out recently and a forthcoming Avengers by John Byrne book). I think this gives him more creator-centric omnibuses than any other writer or artist (depending on how you count Brubaker's Cap omnibus run, since they all have distinct titles rather than being "Captain America by Ed Brubaker Vols. 1-5), which strikes me as a surprise. To the extent that Byrne has a name that'll move copies, I'd have thought it would only be to audiences who were already more inclined to shell out for Bronze Age omnibuses anyway.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Brubaker also has 2 DD omnis, and Bendis has 2 DD, gotg, 2 USM, and New Avengers.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If I want a full collection of Sandman, are the two hardcore omnibus volumes good enough quality and value or would I be better off buying the regular TPBs?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zachack posted:

Brubaker also has 2 DD omnis, and Bendis has 2 DD, gotg, 2 USM, and New Avengers.

Thing is, are either of those USM omnis actually "by Brian Michael Bendis" omnis (if you get what I mean) in the same way as his Daredevil ones are "Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis"?

I'm probably just splitting hairs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Thing is, are either of those USM omnis actually "by Brian Michael Bendis" omnis (if you get what I mean) in the same way as his Daredevil ones are "Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis"?

I'm probably just splitting hairs.

Well the distinction there is that Daredevil had other writers so it's kind of necessary to differentiate by listing the author. There's no other writer on USM so no need, Bendis did every issue.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dunbar posted:

If I want a full collection of Sandman, are the two hardcore omnibus volumes good enough quality and value or would I be better off buying the regular TPBs?

Absolutes:colbert:

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Hopefully this post belongs in here.

Barnes & Nobles is having a sale until June 27th where if your total order is over $50 it is 20% off, $100 is 25% off, and $150 is 30% off with code BNJUNE30.

There are some good deals to be found if you get over $150. For example, Y the Last Man in Deluxe Edition hardcover works out to about $73 for the entire series. The Orion Omnibus by Walter Simonson works out to about $33. DC The New Frontier Deluxe Edition HC is under $22. Uncanny X-Men Omnibus 1 is around $45.

A decent little extra deal I found is if you get 2 hardcovers on a different promo they are running you can save $5. For example, The Sandman Overture + Daniel Clowes Patience gets you $5 off. There are about 90 titles that are comics/graphic novel related that work with the $5 deal, just have to sort through them. Having trouble linking directly to it without possibly showing personalized info but if you click on Show More > Graphic Novels & Comics you'll get the entire list. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/summer-reading-save-5-on-2-hardcovers/_/N-2j2e

Overall, I saved 20% over Amazon or InStockTrades, even after tax, for everything I grabbed. Happy hunting! :)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, bless you, good Goon.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cactus Jack posted:

Hopefully this post belongs in here.
Absolutely. :tipshat:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I just wanted to show off the current status of my Wonder Woman hardcover collection

I also had these done:

Thank you and have a good day.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

redbackground posted:

I just wanted to show off the current status of my Wonder Woman hardcover collection

I also had these done:

Thank you and have a good day.

These are awesome, I love custom binding. Post some interior shots!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TheManWithNoName posted:

These are awesome, I love custom binding. Post some interior shots!
Sho' thing:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

I wonder if, once they've finished the Pérez omnibus stuff, DC will officially collect Bill Messner-Lo--Hahahahahahahaha

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder if, once they've finished the Pérez omnibus stuff, DC will officially collect Bill Messner-Lo--Hahahahahahahaha
I wouldn't say it's impossible, as some of it was already collected in a tpb years ago ("The Contest" arc, I believe).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Can't tell for sure from the photos: are the Dazzlers sparkly?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Can't tell for sure from the photos: are the Dazzlers sparkly?
Yes, it's silver arrestox.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

redbackground posted:

Yes, it's silver arrestox.

Good choice. :waycool:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Those are great looking!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

I wouldn't say it's impossible, as some of it was already collected in a tpb years ago ("The Contest" arc, I believe).

They just released a WW by Deodato collection, they give no fucks about Bill.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Then again, they are bringing out a Flash by Mark Waid TPB and the chances of that would've been astronomical only a few short years ago.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Then again, they are bringing out a Flash by Mark Waid TPB and the chances of that would've been astronomical only a few short years ago.

Like Ultimate collection or something? Like New Xmen?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

Oh, bless you, good Goon.

Stoked despite the local UPS holding the package for five days before delivering it to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

obi_ant posted:

Like Ultimate collection or something? Like New Xmen?

It's just "Flash by Mark Waid Vol. 1" so I assume it'll eventually collect his whole run consecutively.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's just "Flash by Mark Waid Vol. 1" so I assume it'll eventually collect his whole run consecutively.

Heh, "eventually collect his whole run." The DC collected editions department. I wish you well, but don't get your hopes up high for that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've got some of my old IDW Doctor Who comics packed up and ready to be sent in for custom binding...given that it's my first time getting this done, would it be acceptable to post images of my stack-o-comics and order form so some more experienced eyes can make sure I'm not making any stupid mistakes?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

I've got some of my old IDW Doctor Who comics packed up and ready to be sent in for custom binding...given that it's my first time getting this done, would it be acceptable to post images of my stack-o-comics and order form so some more experienced eyes can make sure I'm not making any stupid mistakes?

You can pm me if you want.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question about custom-binding - it's not for myself (I don't own any single issues to bind) but I remember a while ago I saw a picture of this guy's collection and he'd done this series of home-made Wally West Flash omnibuses with really cool-looking custom spines. I can't find the picture, so if anyone knows what I'm talking about and knows where to find it, could they point me in the right direction?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This one? http://kirkkiefer.com/post/72458866826/wrapping-up-an-old-year-part-2-comics-part-a

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 10, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Those look great. :allears:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I hear there is a re-colored version of Sandman? I'm thinking about buying the 10 set in a slipcase, but I don't know if that is the colored version.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

obi_ant posted:

I hear there is a re-colored version of Sandman? I'm thinking about buying the 10 set in a slipcase, but I don't know if that is the colored version.

All editions published after the Absolutes came out are recolored, pretty sure.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep. So if the collection is from the last 8-10 years it should be recoloured.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Escobarbarian posted:

Yep. So if the collection is from the last 8-10 years it should be recoloured.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So this should be fine?