Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Gemstore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

The problem here is that they don't own HoT, so telling them to go Druid at this point kind of doesn't help. I haven't played non-tempest ele for awhile, but here are some suggestions. I'd use staff since it has the most elemental fields as well as dps.

Recommended trait lines:
Fire - for dps, the traits should be -33. Pick either 1 or 2 depending on which one you like better, you should have a decent amount of debuff clearing but the burns aren't that impressive anyway

Water - for healing and debuff clearing
There are some options here for the first and second slot. I would go 222 since you don't have the trait that makes auras heal. This trait line makes it so when you switch to water element you both heal and remove debuffs.

Arcane - helps your survivability and gives your dodges an effect based on your element. The important ones are water and earth. Water heals and earth is a blast, which is A VERY important mechanic for support ele. Blasts on elemental fields buffs you and everyone in the area depending on the field.

Your blasts should be
Dodging in earth
Earth 2
Arcane explosion utility

Use them on
Fire field - buffs the groups damage, your fire field is fire 2
Water field - heals, it's water 3 and 5
Lightning field - Buffs movement speed, it's air 5. This is more important in wvw than pve

Usually what I'd do is buff the party before the fight, switch to air for dps until fire is off cool down, then to fire. Switch to water/earth as the group needs it.

This build is pretty close to what I used to run before the trait changes, I hope this can help you a little in deciding if ele is for you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

A new Focused Solar Logging Tool is available in the Upgrades category of the Gem Store for 1,000 gems.

pics pls

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNo1toxeOYQ

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol Anet knows how to print money at least

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtskIc0qdJw

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Xun posted:

The problem here is that they don't own HoT, so telling them to go Druid at this point kind of doesn't help. I haven't played non-tempest ele for awhile, but here are some suggestions. I'd use staff since it has the most elemental fields as well as dps.

Oooh, ok. So in that case let's talk elite specilizations. Now that HoT has released, everyone is focusing on these instead of the non-HoT build styles. Out of all the classes, elementalists and mesmers are the only ones that I would say are 100% you should always have these on specs. And honestly that might not be the case for elementalists.

Rangers are good without druid. Pretty much every weapon they have is pretty decent depending on if you are power or condi, so don't feel like you have to stick to bows. If you want to use greatsword and sword/warhorn then go ahead, it's not bad. I said you don't have to focus on pets for ranger, and while that is true please keep in mind that pets do add a lot of utility. Different pet species get different stats and techniques beyond their F2 skill. Birds hit twice in a go, moas heal and are actually all around good pets, dogs knock down with leaps, spiders immobilize and are ranged, ect. The only thing you are doing is picking the two you want to equip, everything outside the F2 is handeled by the pet. And honestly the pet AI isn't that bad anymore.

Guardians are pretty solid. Even though everyone will tell you hammer is best for dps, gently caress that. I mean actually hammer is a hilariously great weapon on it's own, yeah. But scepter, sword, greatsword and all that jazz are also very solid weapons. Guardians get a lot of nice poo poo from dragonhunter, but they are so totally viable without it so don't worry. You really just won't have good ranged dps.

Elementalists I won't talk about, others have.

Mesmers are super squishy but have a lot of survivability utilities. Distort reality to be invuln for a second, blink to a new location, block attacks and summom clones, switch with clones, become invisible and summon clones. Also their phantasms hit real hard, but die when your target dies as well. Greatsword is an amazing long range weapon and will totally serve you well. Main hand sword is the only good mainhand weapon, but off hand sword, focus and pistol are all good weapons to go with it.

Warriors get a lot of weapons. All their stuff feels kinda generic hit enemy, but they can be more than that. There is so much here that I don't really want to get into it except to say that you don't have to use only greatsword. But don't use one handed swords unless you are going condi.

Thief! I'll let someone else talk about this as I don't want to.

Necromancers are pretty baller. I'd start gushing about them, but someone who knows it better should instead.

Engineers are like elementalists as such that you can totally be bouncing keys like crazy if you want. And if you don't want to that's ok, that works too! There are builds for engineers that make it seem like grenades is all they do. And hell, you can totally do that if you like it. But the thing is that engineers hve so many options that you just sorta mix and match what you need and typically you can totally get away with it. Want to drop turrets on bad guys, carry the belt knockback crotch rocket skill and leave pil slicks behind you so everything geta knocked down when it chases you? Yeah you can do that (actually turrets were nerfed so I don't know how they are now), that's how I ran my level 30ish engineer to orr. Want to run elixirs to buff yourself while also doing crazy effects to complement your rifle skills? Yup, I did that too. It's fun. Want to minmax your abilities by using toolkit for pulls and blocks, elixer gun for condition clears and explosive jumping, flamethrower cause it's a loving flamethrower and then round it off with a bunh of turrets and a giant space laser? Yes, of course you can.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

Thief! I'll let someone else talk about this as I don't want to.

No one does.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Ineptitude posted:

... I am unable to parse what a build actually DOES when i am looking at them on metabattle.com, there are so many abbreviations, unorthodox terms (the word "boon" instead of "buff" like every other MMO uses) and buzzwords...

Metabattle is hard to parse because the skills (and, also, talents) in GW2 do so much more when compared to individual skills (and talents) in other games. Each thing on your bar can be useful in a variety of different situations and do different things in different builds. Keep in mind, most other MMOs have bars and bars and bars of different required macros for top-end play. GW2 doesn't have that. It's gonna take a while to understand the implications of pressing 4 in one build versus another.

Boons are a specific sub-category of buffs. It's a more specific term. They're common to all classes so it's easy to have shared gear, terminology and effects. Boons aren't the only buffs, though. One big one these days are the Elementalist Auras. They're a buff but only eles and some combo-finishers give them out--they don't count as boons. They behave differently to boons. Boons are the orange-tiled buffs that appear in your status bar, and include Might, Fury, Swiftness, Stability, Aegis, Protection and Quickness, amongst others. Conditions are the opposite, and include Burning, Poison, Crippled, etc. and, likewise, are not the only debuffs in the game, but are the most common.

Some things are buzzwords, though, like "Bunker" is (or was as of a couple patches ago?) the most common on metabattle. Some jargon you'll just have to learn if you want that edge, but don't worry too much about that too much until you get a couple characters to 80.

Roc
Nov 8, 2010
Upcoming glider skin next tuesday?

Also they slightly increased the drop rate of mystic coins, so the price dropped some :toot:

Roc fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 28, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anet really knows how to take my money, don't they. Not that it's hard.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Xun posted:

... earth is a blast, which is A VERY important mechanic for support ele. Blasts on elemental fields buffs you and everyone in the area depending on the field.

Your blasts should be
Dodging in earth
Earth 2
Arcane explosion utility

Use them on
Fire field - buffs the groups damage, your fire field is fire 2
Water field - heals, it's water 3 and 5
Lightning field - Buffs movement speed, it's air 5. This is more important in wvw than pve

Ah, right, blast finishers. HoT and Tempest have made all us Elementalists lazy. Finishers are one of the most interesting hidden mechanics in the game. Go read up on them on the wiki.

Once you hit 80, the elite spec makes blast finishers mostly obsolete by giving you simply easier ways to do all the same stuff.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Fully unlocked Tempest.
It's so much better than plain Elemental.
I didn't care for Ele, but Tempest is effective and fun.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I guess if you've lost your garrison in your home BL and you need bank access, Anet just expects you to leave WvW and your place in the queue* for it

good job

At least adding in the missing sets is great, popped collars galore

*if it's not popular there's no queue to lose your place in, genius

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Added a new reward track that contains Tribal, Stalwart, and Apostle armor skins.

Shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

This will get me back in for sure.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Undocumented changes:

before | after :cumpolice:

11 days from promise to delivery. Mo really knows how to put the iron to 'em and get work done.

e: Naturally, Charr tail clipping is still a problem.

Adhesive Gamin fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 28, 2016

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
^ Farewell legendary asura bewbs.

A patch note said posted:

Fields of Ruin
Fixed a bug that caused the “Rescue the villagers and defeat harpy kidnappers” event to stall, making it impossible to complete.

What miraculous bug sort finally earmarked this for a fix?

I want to believe.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

shurnarkabtishutu posted:

so i haven't played in like forever and i think i'm going to uninstall this game today. i have like 3200 gold on my character that i would like to donate to goons. whats the best way to do this?

Convert it to USD so you can get a tattoo/persian rug/life size canvas print of the following:

e. vv sorry mate. It's an upload not a hotlink :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 28, 2016

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Please don't post NSFW stuff in thread without spoilering it

Thank you!

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 28, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Undocumented changes:

before | after :cumpolice:

11 days from promise to delivery. Mo really knows how to put the iron to 'em and get work done.

e: Naturally, Charr tail clipping is still a problem.

Haha it looks even worse now.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Perhaps it's all an elaborate troll by an anet dev; spend all that time & effort crafting the armor, then either look hideous or transmute and now no one knows you have legendary armor.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Haha it looks even worse now.
Asura masturbator spotted. (It really doesn't.)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tyblazitar posted:

Asura masturbator spotted. (It really doesn't.)

It really does.

Boob top wasn't any better but that flat texture is even worse, this is suppose to be legendary armor, make it look fancy, bedazzle it or something.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

There's dimension to the buckles down the side and the collar bit still, it's just sort of a plain shirt otherwise. Less than before since there's no exposed skin as a base.

It's also just the first tier 'experimental' version of the armor precursor, same level as the hosed up exploded old precursors you craft while on the weapon collections now. There's one more collection to finish which isn't totally in game yet, and then the actual legendary upgrade.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Generic Octopus posted:

Perhaps it's all an elaborate troll by an anet dev; spend all that time & effort crafting the armor, then either look hideous or transmute and now no one knows you have legendary armor.

Actually it's beautiful because of the time and effort, I don't expect a casual like you to understand *dyes every slot with shadow abyss*

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Illuyankas posted:

I guess if you've lost your garrison in your home BL and you need bank access, Anet just expects you to leave WvW and your place in the queue* for it

good job

At least adding in the missing sets is great, popped collars galore

*if it's not popular there's no queue to lose your place in, genius

they expect you to use your large stack of amassed bank summon items or to gamble for/buy a bank access contract

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

On the legendary armor note, here's the titular Envoys:

So look forward to running around Cantha as a shirtless bull-man in the next expansion.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That is a rad minotaur.

The rest of those emo fucks, not so much.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Orv posted:

That is a rad minotaur.

I dunno, Shiro may have been one of the biggest idiots ever, but I think his fashion sense was alright.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Orv posted:

That is a rad minotaur.

gently caress u i wanna be a unicorn man

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

I dunno, Shiro may have been one of the biggest idiots ever, but I think his fashion sense was alright.

Shiro is a lot better if you don't, uh, actually watch any of the Factions cutscenes.

(5:08 if it doesn't load right)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FpY2KQbeQ0&t=308s

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

they fix xera minion exploit now we have to do it legit :(

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Dreggon posted:

they fix xera minion exploit now we have to do it legit :(

didn't really notice that much of a difference between our legit run and the flesh wurm run tbh. still can't see poo poo either way

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

RNG is a kick in the teeth sometimes, I just want to grab a set of Light Ascended Viper's so I can do bullshit things with a condi necro in T4 fractals :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

my face during gem store sales

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

new header on the gw2 page

wait, what is... that?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Needs more crutches

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007