Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Just had a miserable run on Numbani, attacking. Defending team went triple Torbjorn, Winston, Symmetra, Lucio. So I'd shield up and we'd burn down turrets and hope they didn't have one or more Molten Cores to save them, while Winston is up in our grill making it hard to do our jobs.

We won and it honestly wasn't even that close, but I didn't enjoy a single goddamn second of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Just had a miserable run on Numbani, attacking. Defending team went triple Torbjorn, Winston, Symmetra, Lucio. So I'd shield up and we'd burn down turrets and hope they didn't have one or more Molten Cores to save them, while Winston is up in our grill making it hard to do our jobs.

We won and it honestly wasn't even that close, but I didn't enjoy a single goddamn second of it.

Seems like a really fun Pharah game to me

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PaulC posted:

In a pub environment it's also harder to keep yourself alive as Mercy because koth can often be pretty chaotic. Lucio's ability to dance around and survive is a really big asset.

To expand on this, KotH maps have significantly fewer chokepoints than Payload maps, and Mercy (and also Zenyatta but lol) relies on enemies funneling into predictable places a lot more than Lucio does. Lucio can also take advantage of those fewer chokepoints by exiting through windows, over walls, etc. Mercy can only do that if she happens to have a teammate positioned correctly.

For what it's worth I think Lucio + Mercy is stronger than Lucio + Lucio in random pub KotH games, double Lucio really requires a decent amount of comms to show its stuff.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Andrast posted:

I had picked Reinhardt early on though. We eventually got a Pharah but they weren't that great.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rirse posted:

Trying to figure out how to play Lucio. I feel like I am not doing enough healing with him and I don't get what the numbers in the center are doing.

I pretty good at Mercy and Zenyetta, but Mercy is kinda boring to play since like TF2 Medic I just attached to whoever is hurt, with the ultimate being used when it needed. While I like Zenyetta a lot, but he is very frail, and if there no Reinhardt on the team then he is very valuable to being killed.

Lucio's healing isn't that strong. It's more for making sure no one has to run off for a healthpack in between fights; even when amped up, it won't usually save the life of someone who's in a bad situation. On the other hand, his speed boost is deceptively powerful, and an amped boost can get people out of harm's way very quickly. The real challenge of Lucio is understanding when to heal and when to speed boost; people tend to focus on the healing, but a well-timed speed boost can save people from situations you wouldn't be able to heal them through.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Mercy is a very bad pick for KOTH where the general rule is that those who can take the point first usually have the advantage. Lucio can get people onto the point faster, keep them there, and repel pushes or initiate a push with sound barrier.

mercy's still good in koth

comp teams all run her there because the res is so useful

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

mercy's still good in koth

comp teams all run her there because the res is so useful

they run her because the current popular ruleset does not allow 2 lucios, iirc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My koth experience is that without a Lucio you almost always lose and if you have both Lucio and Mercy you almost always win.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

a well-timed speed boost can save people from situations you wouldn't be able to heal them through.

Not terribly useful in quick play, though, because this relies on the person you're boosting to be smart enough to run away from the thing that is killing them.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Well, this kinda belongs here.
Fair warning, don't click if you haven't seen the season finale of Game of Thrones (and intend to).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD7SAFzXSSo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zoness posted:

they run her because the current popular ruleset does not allow 2 lucios, iirc

Correct, and Lucio doesn't supply enough healing to be a mono-support like Mercy sometimes is in comp (though very rarely and even more rarely successfully).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
You say that but having a all your guys on one point makes it handy for a good Mercy to just rez the whole team, or even just a key hero like Bastion. The key is just having a Mercy who's protected well enough to manage it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
nobody's saying that mercy-lucio isn't good in koth, it's just that having 2 lucios would be better but also harder to execute with

and also the reason you don't see pro teams running 2 lucios is that it is not allowed by tournament rules, which also disallow good koth comps such as 2 winstons or 2 tracers

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Joined up with a friend last night and his group of Overwaifus. I lasted about a minute before I had to turn the volume all the way down in Skype because I found out that people taking this game from fun team shoot man's to esport pro game competitive Doritos level gets on my nerves super quick.

Also this stood out to me as the most annoying thing anyone can say over voice com:

GET ON THE POINT GET ON THE POINT

Shut up we can all see that we need to get on the point. That's kind of the goal of this game. There's no death match mode where anyone isn't at some time attempting to take a point from the other team.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

AndyElusive posted:

Joined up with a friend last night and his group of Overwaifus. I lasted about a minute before I had to turn the volume all the way down in Skype because I found out that people taking this game from fun team shoot man's to esport pro game competitive Doritos level gets on my nerves super quick.

Also this stood out to me as the most annoying thing anyone can say over voice com:

Shut up we can all see that we need to get on the point. That's kind of the goal of this game. There's no death match mode where anyone isn't at some time attempting to take a point from the other team.

your first warning that someone isn't worth talking to was seeing that they used skype

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

My friend you have entirely too charitable a read on Overwatch's general population.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yelling get on the point is dumb if there's nobody nearby, but there are just so SO many people who don't get on the point during overtime that I'm glad people yell it anyway. Die a hero or lose as a coward you fucks!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Andrast posted:

My koth experience is that without a Lucio you almost always lose and if you have both Lucio and Mercy you almost always win.

This

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

My friend you have entirely too charitable a read on Overwatch's general population.
Still annoying as gently caress to have someone's main commentary be "Guys we need to get on the point. Guuuys." I know, dude. That's why I keep dying on the point. Because I'm not good at this game, and I am trying to get on the point.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Then counter their commands with "No we need to regroup and push the point together" unless of course they are telling you "get on the point" and the games in the dying moments, then its just about resetting the Overtime timer.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

AndyElusive posted:

i'm guilty of this but in my defense it's usually when i'm dead and spectating someone who's standing not-on-the-point and we're about to lose because of it

e: also i occasionally remind people that the payload goes faster per person on it up to a maximum of 3 and every time there's at least one person who didn't know this (although i blame the game for that, it doesn't seem to say so anywhere)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 28, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Andrast posted:

Good thing you can't just poo poo out another turret with zero cost

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I think the best fix for Torb's turrets would have been to give them a significant blindspot in a cone behind them. Create a safe-zone for characters to approach the turret from behind (or force Torb to put his turret with its back to a wall). Also maybe limit how far it can aim upwards.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rocketlex posted:

I think the best fix for Torb's turrets would have been to give them a significant blindspot in a cone behind them. Create a safe-zone for characters to approach the turret from behind (or force Torb to put his turret with its back to a wall). Also maybe limit how far it can aim upwards.

Unless you're on console I don't think turrets are that big of a deal. My biggest complaint is their epic range. Maybe shorten that a few meters.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

Good thing you can't just poo poo out another turret with zero cost

In fairness, the second one is starting at level 1 and is a joke.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

MacheteZombie posted:

Unless you're on console I don't think turrets are that big of a deal.

I'm on console.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Countblanc posted:

your first warning that someone isn't worth talking to was seeing that they used skype

I know now and that's the important thing.

MacheteZombie posted:

Then counter their commands with "No we need to regroup and push the point together" unless of course they are telling you "get on the point" and the games in the dying moments, then its just about resetting the Overtime timer.

I mean you could counter with that, but then you're engaging with them and you're wasting time because chances are they're not reading or looking to discuss the pros and cons of GET ON THE POINT over voice com. Thankfully "Group Up" is a quick emote that works just as well. Sometimes.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm guilty of this but in my defense it's usually when i'm dead and spectating someone who's standing not-on-the-point and we're about to lose because of it

e: also i occasionally remind people that the payload goes faster per person on it up to a maximum of 3 and every time there's at least one person who didn't know this (although i blame the game for that, it doesn't seem to say so anywhere)

Oh man, telling your team to GOTP while you''re dead is even worse. How's a ghost gonna tell me what to do? What is this? Paranormal Investigation the FPS? Get outta here you ghost I'm not afraid of you.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Rocketlex posted:

I'm on console.

My goondolences.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

I mean you could counter with that, but then you're engaging with them and you're wasting time because chances are they're not reading or looking to discuss the pros and cons of GET ON THE POINT over voice com. Thankfully "Group Up" is a quick emote that works just as well. Sometimes.

"Group Up" also displays an icon over your head that your teammates can see even without LoS, which is super helpful.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

"Group Up" also displays an icon over your head that your teammates can see even without LoS, which is super helpful.

I have never seen a less paid attention to form of communication in my life. You will get more responses with a message in a bottle than with Group Up.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Rocketlex posted:

I'm on console.

Lol

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

competitive patch is comin' (today???)

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745685202#1

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
On goon discord chat I pretty much just use voice to call out updated bastion, widow, and turret locations. feels useful at least

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

AndyElusive posted:

Uhh, in this game a lot of people like to dick around and really often need to be reminded to either be on the point or stay near it in order to properly defend it.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Its a late patch if its today... unless the poster is coming from Japan?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'm seeing multiple outlets reporting that the PC update for Competitive is today

https://gameup24.wordpress.com/2016/06/28/overwatchs-latest-update-is-bringing-competitive-play-to-pc/
http://blizzardwatch.com/2016/06/28/overwatch-competitive-play-patch-live/

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

objects in mirror posted:

Uhh, in this game a lot of people like to dick around and really often need to be reminded to either be on the point or stay near it in order to properly defend it.

It's just a friendly reminder to all the poo poo genjis of the world that the timer is at like 10 seconds and we're about to lose, maybe stop dancing around taking potshots and stand on the loving point.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

If I'm not too excited about getting screamed at by tryhards half my age in competitive mode, are there any other updates or changes to look forward to with this patch? I read up on it back when it was announced, but I don't recall that there was much if anything not related to comp mode. Anything changed since then? (behind a work filter, before someone asks why I don't just go read the patch notes)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

If I'm not too excited about getting screamed at by tryhards half my age in competitive mode, are there any other updates or changes to look forward to with this patch? I read up on it back when it was announced, but I don't recall that there was much if anything not related to comp mode. Anything changed since then? (behind a work filter, before someone asks why I don't just go read the patch notes)

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Widowmaker's ult is now supposedly map wide like all others, so you now know when she's got walls up.