Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Schrodingers cat posted:

I'm finally able to start a playthrough and stop modding (for now).

Ahahahahahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Schrodingers cat posted:

Well after a bit more tweaking ENB and using your suggestions, I'm finally able to start a playthrough and stop modding (for now). I archived my "good Skyrim" copy on another HDD in case of royal mess up :p

Thanks again!

Hey, awesome, glad I could help somebody out!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Schrodingers cat posted:

Well after a bit more tweaking ENB and using your suggestions, I'm finally able to start a playthrough and stop modding (for now). I archived my "good Skyrim" copy on another HDD in case of royal mess up :p

Thanks again!

nexus6 posted:

I thought I could do this but I keep needing my 'new mod' fix

One day you will realize, modding was the game.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

One day you will realize, modding was the game.

To be honest, making the game look as best and "full of content" as possible is very much enjoyable and rewarding on its own.

Agents are GO! posted:

Ahahahahahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:getout:

Yeah it's a never ending cycle of trying to reach perfection.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm once again at my annual moment of preparing for another modded Skyrim playthrough. This time I'm thinking of putting together a Game of Thrones inspired playthrough that heavily plays up the nord versus legion civil war. Core to that experience will be the obvious Civil War Overhaul, Clean Up Your Corpses, and The Honored Dead, but I'm also looking for other mods that will make the playthrough feel more Thrones'y.

Graphically I am going to pull from Brodual's Dark Fantasy Overhaul compilation to amp up the gore and bleakness of the setting. Instead of Bleak ENB though (which might as well be called Gray ENB) I am thinking of pursuing Natural Lighting and Atmospherics ENB since I hear it is a lot lighter on the performance hit and goes for photorealism over aesthetic. The new volumetric fog from Vivid Weathers looks fantastic and should be a fun alternative to Climates of Tamriel which is all I have ever used since forever. Is there anything out there similar to Wet and Cold that adds muddy splatter to clothing that perhaps doesn't clean off until you stay at a tavern?

For combat, I'm thinking Deadly Combat and Archery Gameplay Overhaul to make sword combat feel sticky and visceral and archery more deadly and threatening. I want things to be focused around melee and archery, and keep to the low-magic feel of Thrones.

I'm wondering what else might be out there worth considering for a playthrough like this? Again I'm going for GoT-inspired, not a literal "make Skyrim into Game of Thrones like that one total conversion mod does." Are there mods out there you would recommend that help to play up the overall civil war atmosphere and flesh out the various conflicts between local NPC factions? I want to absolutely fill the load order with stuff like Hold Border Banners, Immersive Hold Borders, Unique Border Gates, Populated Holds and Forts, Populated Lands, Roads, Paths, etc.

I'm also looking for mods that amp up the levels of cruelty between factions to drive home the depth of the conflict. Maybe seeing some legion soldiers raiding stormcloak farms and killing innocent farmers, stumbling into battles between legion and stormcloaks as I'm traveling the open roads, or simple dialogue and immersion mods that give more individualized flavor to each of the major cities in Skyrim and make them feel more like their own subcultures or feifdoms.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I'd suggest taking a break from modding skyrim and play Enderal when it comes out friday or saturday

i know it wont be english until a few weeks later but im pretty sure many of the people on this board played its predecessor, nehrim, while it was only in german

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Siets posted:

Core to that experience will be the obvious Civil War Overhaul,

stop right there criminal scum

do not use CWO

it is broken

it is not fun

trust me when I say donot use it

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mortimer posted:

do not use CWO

it is broken

it is not fun

Is it still broken? I've heard the last couple of versions have been pretty good.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

That's by that guy who writes really cringy poo poo in his description right

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Ah, I take that back. He's extremely Win.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
ApolloDown(Syndrome), yes.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Dongicus posted:

Ah, I take that back. He's extremely Win.

OMG U 2 SO LOL! ;) [video - irrelevant music video from 1980s]

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mortimer posted:

do not use CWO

it is broken

it is not fun

Say it ain't so...

:negative:

Anything else out there that is similar?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Nope. Not really.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
If I am elected New OP President, one of my top policy priorities will be to encourage more "here's why this hyped and popular mod actually sucks" posts and spotlight them in the OP or a reserved first reply.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
On my way over to mod manager I lost about half my stupid-as-gently caress mods. Does anyone have any recommendations for fun and interesting mods, ideally Requiem compatible?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mortimer posted:

do not use CWO

it is broken

it is not fun

I actually have it but I never got around to actually triggering the Civil War. I thought it was just supposed to restore cut content and have more involved, more difficult, and more interesting battles?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

If I am elected New OP President, one of my top policy priorities will be to encourage more "here's why this hyped and popular mod actually sucks" posts and spotlight them in the OP or a reserved first reply.

I vote for you, I wanna new OP.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Woolie Wool posted:

I actually have it but I never got around to actually triggering the Civil War. I thought it was just supposed to restore cut content and have more involved, more difficult, and more interesting battles?

I'm not sure about CWO in particular, but I think every mod claims to have this.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GunnerJ posted:

I beg of you to OP it up using the bones that Agent built.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

No begging required, just need to get dem bones.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

That would actually be really nice!

There are so many huge mods that claim to do huge things and are really popular, but are a pain in the rear end to set up and try out only to find out that they suck. I think the only "big" mods I've been pleasantly surprised with are Immersive Armors/Weapons and SPERG.

Speaking of the Civil War, I wish there was a mod that just removed it and everything about it. I'm sure it's supposed to be "deep" but both sides are so bad that I can't ever bring myself to picking a side.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Your Computer posted:

There are so many huge mods that claim to do huge things and are really popular, but are a pain in the rear end to set up and try out only to find out that they suck. I think the only "big" mods I've been pleasantly surprised with are Immersive Armors/Weapons and SPERG.

Speaking of the Civil War, I wish there was a mod that just removed it and everything about it. I'm sure it's supposed to be "deep" but both sides are so bad that I can't ever bring myself to picking a side.

Skyrim is for nords!

Make Skyrim great again!

:smugdon:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Sure, but the cut content amounts to a few extra dialogue lines and some extra battles.

More difficult means "remember how you had to kill ten waves of soldiers, now you have to kill thirty waves". And you can now realistically lose in case you aren't killing multiple soldiers every second. And you know what that means? You get to fight the battle over again! Hooray!

There aren't "tactics" there isn't "strategy" it's just a meatgrinder of you killing more soldiers of the opposite faction, occasionally in new exciting locations like: wilderness, and: fort.

the fun never ends with CWO. And I haven't even gotten into how it's buggy as poo poo and bricked a ton of peoples games in the past and probably still does. According to the comments: yep it still does.

here have a response from the author

quote:

"All these people on the internet keep saying that it's buggy."
Short answer: They have no idea what they are talking about.
Long answer: There have been 8 iterations of this mod so far. All versions before 2 had a REALLY crazy quest breaking bug that randomly struck 25% of players. In version 2, there were a number of annoying "bugs"(I hesitate to use the word 'bug' here, as that implies I made a mistake - when it comes to emergent script interaction going sour, I'm not sure what to call that, but to me it's not a "bug" per se), and 25% of games would go off the rails, but would NEVER be unfixable. In version 3, nearly all bugs have been squashed save for roughly 4 main bug areas that are VERY well documented in the bug tracker. Furthermore, EVERY issue is fixable. In all of these cases, the "bugs" ONLY affect the civil war questline, and not the rest of Skyrim. Version 4 was a complete revamp of the CWO engine, so I don't want to speak for it too soon, but initial testing has shown a much more stable questline.

"Is the NSA watching me play this?"
Probably.

"Seriously, this all sounds really epic, and I need to know - are you magic?"
Yes.

"Can I use this mod without creating a new game?"
I get this odd sense that you guys keep asking me these previously answered questions because you are attempting to make me immune to all annoyance and therefore achieve Nirvana. But Kurt Cobain is dead, man. And the Foo Fighters just don't cut the mustard by comparison. So stop annoying me with questions I've already answered. PAY ATTENTION MR. WOLTHAM.

"This mod sounds really buggy."
Your face sounds really buggy.

"Dude, you're not funny."
Madame, I may not be funny, but you're drunk, and tomorrow I'll - oh wait I got that wrong.

this guy can go suck an egg

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

oh and if you want the ultimate "just gently caress me up, keep loving me up and don't stop loving me up until I'm dead" mod

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52487

now you can get all of this guys mods packed into one

quote:

In all seriousness, the question I always will ask of myself when I am considering banning a user is simply "Will this user be a problem down the road?" So, things like showing a blatant disregard for the descriptions or for me, acting unreasonably, or even just having a terminal case of stupidity, while not automatic bans, will be considered when I consider a ban. I look at the totality of the circumstances to determine if you as a user will be more trouble than you are worth.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Siets posted:

Skyrim is for nords!

Make Skyrim great again!

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of that phrase. Actual Neo-Nazis are shouting the same thing in my country and it feels a bit too close to home :norway:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of that phrase. Actual Neo-Nazis are shouting the same thing in my country and it feels a bit too close to home :norway:

Imagine how Bretons feel. (it's the exact same way lol reality)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rrussom posted:

I'd suggest taking a break from modding skyrim and play Enderal when it comes out friday or saturday

i know it wont be english until a few weeks later but im pretty sure many of the people on this board played its predecessor, nehrim, while it was only in german

Will the German version have English subtitles and English versions of books and posters and poo poo? Because I don't give a poo poo about the voice acting.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Your Computer posted:

A while back during the Mod Picker thing, I floated the idea of an off-site honest mod reviews and discussion site. I had in mind something that would combine things like the old Grimy's mod reviews (if anyone technically inclined enough could do it at that level, or more informally if not) with user ratings and reviews, and a wiki-like knowledge base. I have a more solid idea now of how to put something like that into action. What I do not have is a good name because I am poo poo at naming things. Best I could come up with is "Skyrim is for the goons" or some poo poo, which is terrible.

So, I'm open to suggestions because I want to try to get that poo poo off the ground.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Skwirl posted:

Will the German version have English subtitles and English versions of books and posters and poo poo? Because I don't give a poo poo about the voice acting.

After the english patch comes out i believe so, but they've apperently gotten actual VAs to vocie act, such as Lee from the walking dead and i think llydia, though that'll probably be near the end of the month if not a week or so after release

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Siets posted:

Skyrim is for nords!

Make Skyrim great again!

But there's already a(n invisible) wall all along the borders!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Neo-nazis ruin everything.

I'm weirdly glad I'm not up to speed with the latest nazi lingo here :norway:

Cat Mattress posted:

But there's already a(n invisible) wall all along the borders!

:golfclap:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Schrodingers cat posted:

I archived my "good Skyrim" copy on another HDD in case of royal mess up :p

This actually brings up the question, assuming I'm using Mod Organizer but still have a few things that are hard-installed, such as SKSE, enbhost, etc, and also have some skyrim.ini and skyrimPrefs.ini and all that in my Documents folder, is there a comprehensive and exhaustive list of things to do to Fully Backup and later restore an image of a modded skyrim?

I don't think registry information is important so that's one less thing to worry about. But the profiles in MO only control what boxes on the left are and are not ticked, correct? It'd be nice to have even more control.

Maybe I should set up a repository for version control? :v:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

CuddlyZombie posted:

This actually brings up the question, assuming I'm using Mod Organizer but still have a few things that are hard-installed, such as SKSE, enbhost, etc, and also have some skyrim.ini and skyrimPrefs.ini and all that in my Documents folder, is there a comprehensive and exhaustive list of things to do to Fully Backup and later restore an image of a modded skyrim?

I don't think registry information is important so that's one less thing to worry about. But the profiles in MO only control what boxes on the left are and are not ticked, correct? It'd be nice to have even more control.

Maybe I should set up a repository for version control? :v:

If you're using Mod Organizer you shouldn't be touching the My Documents ini files at all. MO has its own set of ini files, one for each profile you have.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable enchantment glow/effect only in 1st person?

I'm rocking a steel and fur look, but it's kinda ruined by my weapon being a huge glowstick discoball lava lamp. I found a mod that removes all enchantment effects, but it also removes the effects from items on the ground which I'd prefer to keep if possible.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Apoplexy posted:

ApolloDown(Syndrome), yes.

CWO might be a buggy mess at times but if he's the guy who made the dynamic fire and ice mod I can't really say his mods are outright bad. Though his descriptions are maximum edgelord poo poo and tedious as gently caress to read. Pretty sure he's bitched about no one reading descriptions in the past, only to never quite figure out why anyone would bother with that multi-page mess of spam.

As an FYI on what it does: The fire and ice mod makes it so that fire spells dynamically set stuff on fire. So if you go around with a flamethrower type spell it'll actually torch the landscape and create wildfires. Since they're actual fires they can also be used with other mods. IE: To keep you warm and light darkened areas. It's CPU intensive as hell though.

One of my favorite skyrim moments was the Brotherhood quest where you have to kill a vampire with it enabled. My vampire rolled into their little logging camp/nordic hostel of horror behind a vanguard of about a dozen strategically placed fireballs only to realize that it turns out that he's married. Also, his wife is a vampire too. And apparently they like to cut wood with battleaxes. Oops.

I ended up having an epic battle that ended with me decapitating the target as the flames closed in around us and the sun began to rise in the background. After that it was a frantic sprint to the nearest cave as I started to burn for entirely different reasons. This was after I leapt over the flames several times to get away from his literally axe-crazy wife and we dueled our way inside and through their burning cottage. poo poo was extremely awesome.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 29, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CuddlyZombie posted:

These are probably the most critical, imo:

ModOrganizer\downloads\
ModOrganizer\mods\
ModOrganizer\profiles\
ModOrganizer\ModOrganizer.ini

The first two are also the biggest, containing all the installation files and the mod files. I don't really mind having to re-install SKSE or ENB in case of a catastrophe, they won't take anywhere near as much time as re-downloading and re-installing and re-setting every mod and MO setting. For actual restoration, I am pprrreeetty sure you can just re-install MO and then dump these directories and the ini file right in its main folder, unless there's a major update to how MO works.

However, for really full comprehensiveness, you can just backup the entire ModOrganizer directory. I am pretty sure that MO installs by just copying over the relevant files. At least, the "full manual-installation archive" option is just a zip file with a complete MO folder, empty and ready to be deployed and used. This suggests that there is no registry entry for it and it is a "portable app," but don't just take my word for it!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

GunnerJ posted:

A while back during the Mod Picker thing, I floated the idea of an off-site honest mod reviews and discussion site. I had in mind something that would combine things like the old Grimy's mod reviews (if anyone technically inclined enough could do it at that level, or more informally if not) with user ratings and reviews, and a wiki-like knowledge base. I have a more solid idea now of how to put something like that into action. What I do not have is a good name because I am poo poo at naming things. Best I could come up with is "Skyrim is for the goons" or some poo poo, which is terrible.

So, I'm open to suggestions because I want to try to get that poo poo off the ground.

Goonrim? Rimming Goons? Mods for the Goon King?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

GunnerJ posted:

These are probably the most critical, imo:

ModOrganizer\downloads\
ModOrganizer\mods\
ModOrganizer\profiles\
ModOrganizer\ModOrganizer.ini

The first two are also the biggest, containing all the installation files and the mod files. I don't really mind having to re-install SKSE or ENB in case of a catastrophe, they won't take anywhere near as much time as re-downloading and re-installing and re-setting every mod and MO setting. For actual restoration, I am pprrreeetty sure you can just re-install MO and then dump these directories and the ini file right in its main folder, unless there's a major update to how MO works.

However, for really full comprehensiveness, you can just backup the entire ModOrganizer directory. I am pretty sure that MO installs by just copying over the relevant files. At least, the "full manual-installation archive" option is just a zip file with a complete MO folder, empty and ready to be deployed and used. This suggests that there is no registry entry for it and it is a "portable app," but don't just take my word for it!

Profiles keeps the copies of the Skyrim.ini files and load order info. IMPORTANT poo poo there for saving you time if you don't solely rely on LOOT to make your load orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

Best I could come up with is "Skyrim is for the goons" or some poo poo, which is terrible.

Spergrim.

• Locked thread