Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

CrashCat posted:

I feel like I was the only one who wasn't impressed by new Zelda. Like, it was an interesting new direction but nothing about it screams "console seller" to me. Seems like something I could just as easily play on the PS4 if it wasn't a Nintendo game, or the Wii U if they weren't trying to give up on it.

You understand it was being demo'd on a Wii U, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

CrashCat posted:

It's dirt cheap and works pretty well, just don't be afraid to pick exercises manually because the thing has no sense of pattern recognition

What kind of Amiibo support does it have?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's not out yet :newlol:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

What's preventing you from playing the new zelda on the wii u exactly?
Depends on whether they actually release for both or not, and if they cripple the Wii U version at all. Just being cautious

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What kind of Amiibo support does it have?
None

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Saoshyant posted:

And there's also that amusing "cloud computing but not really" patent:

Daisy-chaining upgrade machines might be a fantastic way of creating an affordable console that crazy people on NeoGaf will still spend thousands of dollars on.

"The NX is such a ripoff. It supports 8 supplementary computing devices and Amazon is telling me that the system plus all 8 is close to two grand!"

"Have you considered buying fewer than 8?"

"Of course not, I want the best experience!"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CrashCat posted:

Depends on whether they actually release for both or not, and if they cripple the Wii U version at all. Just being cautious

None

This isn't the first time they've done a split zelda game Twilight princess was released for two consoles. I guess 3 now if you count the HD remake.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Patter Song posted:

Daisy-chaining upgrade machines might be a fantastic way of creating an affordable console that crazy people on NeoGaf will still spend thousands of dollars on.

"The NX is such a ripoff. It supports 8 supplementary computing devices and Amazon is telling me that the system plus all 8 is close to two grand!"

Crazy that history's rolled around to the point that cartridge based systems and 32X-style console addons could actually be viable products again. (Not that the 32X was a viable product in the first place, but you get my meaning.)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

pixaal posted:

This isn't the first time they've done a split zelda game Twilight princess was released for two consoles. I guess 3 now if you count the HD remake.
Yeah, unfortunately I know nobody who played the Gamecube version so I have no idea how well it worked. So I don't even really know what the precedent is there besides that it was a thing :shrug:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Apparently the gamecube version is ultimately "superior" due to button layout despite being cribbed from widescreen, though you're still playing Twilight Princess so it's still a bad time.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The world wasn't ready before.

The world is ready now.

The Nintendo NX has been revealed.

It's official title?

VIRTUAL BOY 2.0

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I know nobody who played the Gamecube version so I have no idea how well it worked. So I don't even really know what the precedent is there besides that it was a thing :shrug:

I own and enjoy Twilight Princess on gamecube. It worked out pretty much exactly like the gamecube ports of Ocarina/Majora and WW. Exact same button layout as those games, slight difference in the inventory screens but actual gameplay was 99.9% identical to the previous games. The only issue is that link is traditionally a lefty, so for the right-handed wii players they flipped the entire world horizontally, thus loving up all kinds of people's FAQs and guides and help on forums.

khy fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 28, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

bman in 2288 posted:

I remember, when I was in college, I was working a lab about holograms. The premise behind capturing a holographic photograph is really cool.

Now you've made me hope the NX involves holographs, even though it's not commercially feasible yet. I hope you're happy.

If NX does have holograms by some crazy black magic, they need to talk to EA about a dejarik (Star Wars holochess) game. Final boss is playing Chewbacca with the loading screen tip "Let the Wookiee win."

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

katkillad2 posted:

I want another console Monster Hunter game :smith:.

Well if this turns out to be the portable/console hybrid everyone thinks it is then they'll have no choice but to make one since this'll take over the 3DS's spot.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CrashCat posted:

I feel like I was the only one who wasn't impressed by new Zelda. Like, it was an interesting new direction but nothing about it screams "console seller" to me. Seems like something I could just as easily play on the PS4 if it wasn't a Nintendo game, or the Wii U if they weren't trying to give up on it.

So yeah I was a bit surprised too

I mean yea but you can't play it on another console, that's like saying Bloodborne is just something you could play on the Xbox.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Patter Song posted:

Whenever people talk about the hybrid console/handheld idea, this is pretty much what I imagine it would be like. Just take the 3dx with you outside to play on the go and then when you get home you slam it into your Wii X to get the NeXt level gaming Xperience!!!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

As someone who is having major issues with my hard drive on the Wii U, I hope whatever the NX is, it has enough internal storage to download every full retail digital release I get my grimy Nintendo-obsessed paws on over however many years the NX is a thing and/or does cloud saves so I can stop worrying about my storage thing blowing up like has been a problem on pretty much every Nintendo product I've owned in the past few years.

But who cares it will probably still suck and I'll be in line on Midnight for the new hunk of garbage anyway because I have a problem :sigh:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Sprite141 posted:

Sometimes you need to stagger releases, though not for months at a time ala every console this generation.

which consoles?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

why cant nintendo just design a loving normal console and just make normal, good games for it

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

babypolis posted:

why cant nintendo just design a loving normal console and just make normal, good games for it

Because the Wii was a huge success, and Nintendo thought they could build on it. After the commercial failure of the Wii U, Nintendo appears to be doing a normal console, just one that combines the home and handheld market.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They straight up can't compete in raw hardware because they aren't a massive tech corporation.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

They straight up can't compete in raw hardware because they aren't a massive tech corporation.

And sadly, that's one of the reasons they are making their Disney shift.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

don't they have like billions in cash just lying around? why can they trounce sony in the handheld market but cant compete in the console market? I dont see any reason why development of consoles should be massively more expensive than a handheld

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

babypolis posted:

don't they have like billions in cash just lying around? why can they trounce sony in the handheld market but cant compete in the console market? I dont see any reason why development of consoles should be massively more expensive than a handheld

They didn't trounce Sony by throwing money away on making their system the strongest graphically so much as they actually put effort into putting games on it that weren't just ports of games you could play better versions of on your console.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tender Bender posted:

I mean yea but you can't play it on another console, that's like saying Bloodborne is just something you could play on the Xbox.
except you totally could make it for Xbox if not for the agreements, you get what I'm saying :shrug:

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Tender Bender posted:

They can and have in the past, and that was in the days of having proprietary hardware designed from the ground up chip-by-chip with their own unique instruction sets. They actually were quite good at it too. Of course Nintendo isn't a chip company and at some point the production will be outsourced, but they used to be very creative with their hardware design to create consoles that were powerful and economical, and even profitable to produce (usually console hardware is a loss leader). The Gamecube was very impressive for its time and launched at $200. Other than its lack of storage capability (no HDD and no DVD9), it still put out graphics that could hold their own against the Xbox, which was basically Bill Gates packing in a bunch of gaming PC hardware into a console chassis and selling it for a massive loss. It does not surprise me that the Wii and Wii U are just extensions of the Gamecube's design.

These days it might even be easier to compete on specs, because of the war between X86 and ARM producing lots of cheap, efficient, high-performance chips that use standardized instructions that developers are familiar with.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nintendo keeping to their shorter console lifespans could really be helping them out. They essentially get a do over for the current generation. Granted, Sony and Microsoft are trying out iterative consoles now, but neither are really going to upset Nintendo's plans.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Nintendo keeping to their shorter console lifespans could really be helping them out. They essentially get a do over for the current generation. Granted, Sony and Microsoft are trying out iterative consoles now, but neither are really going to upset Nintendo's plans.

As long as Sony and Microsoft are keeping to the "Neo and Scorpio are big brothers to the PS4 and Xbone, not new generations" line, then a Nintendo system on par with the PS4 and XBone will be able to get third multiplatforms if third parties actually are willing to send them Nintendo's way, yeah. Microsoft would be the first of the two to try to change tune on that message because Sony has 30+ million people on PS4 they don't want to abandon while the Xbone has only sold about twice as well as the WiiU so Microsoft would care less about cutting loose its existing playerbase, but I don't expect that to happen until, like, 2019 at the earliest. An NX that's comparable to PS4 and XBone that came out in spring 2017 should have at least two years of multiplat support if Nintendo can make the case that it's worth putting multiplats on their hardware.

I fully expect Nintendo to get full support from Japanese 3rd parties. Capcom, Square-Enix, Sega, Namco-Bandai, Koei-Temco, Platinum, and Level 5 have all been very publicly buddying up with Nintendo at least on the 3DS or, in Capcom, Sega, Namco, Koei, and Platinum's case, even on the Wii U. Square-Enix has already said that Dragon Quest X and XI are going to be on the NX and I wouldn't be surprised if their other stuff will end up there as well.

Nintendo's 3rd Party problem is really a Western 3rd party problem. Ubisoft will give them Just Dance and Activision Skylanders, but it's up to Nintendo to see if they can get anything else.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I think something that is a slight downgrade from the other consoles with no gimmick, with good nintendo games and also 3rd party can compete better than a huge downgrade with a dumb gimmick , with good nintendo games but no 3rd party

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CrashCat posted:

except you totally could make it for Xbox if not for the agreements, you get what I'm saying :shrug:

Well yeah but if those games don't "count" then by that logic there are no console sellers that don't use gimmick controllers.

Meta Ridley posted:

They can and have in the past, and that was in the days of having proprietary hardware designed from the ground up chip-by-chip with their own unique instruction sets. They actually were quite good at it too. Of course Nintendo isn't a chip company and at some point the production will be outsourced, but they used to be very creative with their hardware design to create consoles that were powerful and economical, and even profitable to produce (usually console hardware is a loss leader). The Gamecube was very impressive for its time and launched at $200. Other than its lack of storage capability (no HDD and no DVD9), it still put out graphics that could hold their own against the Xbox, which was basically Bill Gates packing in a bunch of gaming PC hardware into a console chassis and selling it for a massive loss. It does not surprise me that the Wii and Wii U are just extensions of the Gamecube's design.

These days it might even be easier to compete on specs, because of the war between X86 and ARM producing lots of cheap, efficient, high-performance chips that use standardized instructions that developers are familiar with.

They were quite good at it, but they still don't have the resources to compete technologically on a level playing field. There's a reason they haven't tried to do so ever since both Sony and Microsoft fully committed.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The reason they don't try is because they were able to sidestep the tech race once with the Wii and now they think they can do it forever.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Nintendo held its annual shareholders meetings.

1. When asked about how they don't have any women on their board of directors, Kirishima said that they have Reggie, who works with a lot of women. (This isn't a joke)
2. They doubled down on March 2017 as the release date for NX.
3. They said that they're holding off as long as possible on showing off the NX because other people are going to steal their super-cool secret idea. :jerkbag:
4. Iwata Asks is not getting replaced by Kirishima Asks because Kirishima doesn't know anything about designing video games.
5. Theme parks and movies are coming soon.
6. Four mobile (smartphone) games are coming out between now and next March, including Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing this fall.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Patter Song posted:

As long as Sony and Microsoft are keeping to the "Neo and Scorpio are big brothers to the PS4 and Xbone, not new generations" line

I doubt that's it, the same way Nintendo has offered up their new handhelds as the "third pillar" since the DS.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
One more point I forgot to mention:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild has been in development for five years and has to sell three million copies before it even breaks even.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Nintendo held its annual shareholders meetings.

1. When asked about how they don't have any women on their board of directors, Kirishima said that they have Reggie, who works with a lot of women. (This isn't a joke)
2. They doubled down on March 2017 as the release date for NX.
3. They said that they're holding off as long as possible on showing off the NX because other people are going to steal their super-cool secret idea. :jerkbag:
4. Iwata Asks is not getting replaced by Kirishima Asks because Kirishima doesn't know anything about designing video games.
5. Theme parks and movies are coming soon.
6. Four mobile (smartphone) games are coming out between now and next March, including Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing this fall.

1: Nintendo, please. Please Nintendo. Please.

2: Yey.

3: I totally believe them.

4: Miyamoto Asks, then? Or just some straight up dry rear end business themed Kimishima Asks.

5: 2018-19 for both, if I'm not mistaken.

6: My guess for the other two are Advance Wars and a new IP.

Patter Song posted:

One more point I forgot to mention:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild has been in development for five years and has to sell three million copies before it even breaks even.

I'm willing to bet it beats Splatoon's install rate.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm willing to bet it beats Splatoon's install rate.

It won't. Zelda is not a massive seller in Japan anymore and hasn't been for quite some time.

Iwata Asks isn't coming back in any form, they said it was inefficient as a PR exercise and that even Iwata was getting bored with it while he was still around.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The reason they don't try is because they were able to sidestep the tech race once with the Wii and now they think they can do it forever.

Like 3 and a half times they've been able to sidestep the tech race. Basically since Iwata was a voice in the company their mantra has been to do efficient different poo poo instead of trying to swing for the fences with pure tech. Wii was obvious. DS was not quite a portable N64 to PSP's practically portable PS2. 3DS was equally distance down the road from the Vita. Even the Gamecube while graphically viable didn't feature quite the power of the Xbox or have the bells and whistles like DVD playability like the PS2 or Xbox but they made money off the thing as a whole since every console they sold was already in the black because it was so cheap to produce.

It wasn't beyond the realm of possibility that they'd be able to do it again and be profitable with the WiiU if it had caught on. They'd conditioned themselves to believe they'd be able to make money for the company if they went that way irregardless.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think the DS was really that conservative for the time, even if it didn't match the specs of the PSP. Remember, that poo poo came out in '04 or so; it was fine for the time, even it it was well outclassed by smartphones in the end.

The 3DS was unambigiously low-tech and they thought the stereoscopic 3D effect would be enough to compensate but they were proven wrong very quickly and were forced to cut the price pretty heavily not long after launch.

Their rationale for the Wii U's specs was "big developers don't want to have to raise their budgets even more to make games for next-gen consoles and will secretly be happy that they can continue to use their current tech on our new system" and we all know how that turned out.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

It won't. Zelda is not a massive seller in Japan anymore and hasn't been for quite some time.

Iwata Asks isn't coming back in any form, they said it was inefficient as a PR exercise and that even Iwata was getting bored with it while he was still around.

Iwata Asks suffered by being another piece of Nintendo marketing that almost only appealed to Nintendo fans/people who already owned the hardware in question. It was charming to some and was a different take on promoting videogames than we see from pretty much anyone else these days. I'll miss it for what it was.

Commissar Ken posted:

Like 3 and a half times they've been able to sidestep the tech race. Basically since Iwata was a voice in the company their mantra has been to do efficient different poo poo instead of trying to swing for the fences with pure tech. Wii was obvious. DS was not quite a portable N64 to PSP's practically portable PS2. 3DS was equally distance down the road from the Vita. Even the Gamecube while graphically viable didn't feature quite the power of the Xbox or have the bells and whistles like DVD playability like the PS2 or Xbox but they made money off the thing as a whole since every console they sold was already in the black because it was so cheap to produce.

I... wouldn't say the PSP was a portable PS2. Not even close. It was definitely more powerful than a DS, but I think it was closer to a PS1.5 rather than a full PS2, and it definitely shows in some games.

I wouldn't even say they 'sidestepped' the PSP. It's the cool thing these days to say that it failed, but the PSP is literally the only time anyone has successfully challenged Nintendo in the handheld arena in any way whatsoever prior to the rise of smartphone/device gaming. It sold close to 80 million units worldwide. Unlike, say, any other handheld (including the Vita) that ever came out against a Nintendo handheld, it was a viable alternative for developers to put games on and make money.

Yeah, the DS (mostly the Lite model) outsold it, but I wouldn't say it was a victory won because Nintendo picked cheaper/weaker parts.

They definitely didn't sidestep the PS2. Nobody did. Nintendo might have stayed 'in the black', but that's a nice way of saying they endured a second console generation where people said they were playing Playstation instead of Nintendo in reference to videogames. The PS2 didn't dominate only because of its extra bells and whistles, as much as those might have helped sell the console at first. It had a ridiculous, unmatched library at the time that no-one came close to competing with.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

CAN YOU SEE ALL OF ME
WALK INTO MY MYSTERY
STEP INSIDE AND HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The NX is going to use middle-out compression to make it so you can play NX games on your smartphone through even the shittiest internet connection, complete with a neural network that will improve the quality of the streaming the more it's done. The weird almond thing is actually a poorly drawn snap-on for literally any mobile phone that adds buttons to the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

I don't think the DS was really that conservative for the time, even if it didn't match the specs of the PSP. Remember, that poo poo came out in '04 or so; it was fine for the time, even it it was well outclassed by smartphones in the end.

The 3DS was unambigiously low-tech and they thought the stereoscopic 3D effect would be enough to compensate but they were proven wrong very quickly and were forced to cut the price pretty heavily not long after launch.

Their rationale for the Wii U's specs was "big developers don't want to have to raise their budgets even more to make games for next-gen consoles and will secretly be happy that they can continue to use their current tech on our new system" and we all know how that turned out.

The DS was pretty conservative with every component it had the single exception being that it actually featured two screens for the first time. I'm not saying it wasn't fine but they certainly didn't swing for the fences and used cheaper but tested parts for it (the screens being the big one there)

3DS yeah, 3D was their plan. Like I had said before, go in for cheap and efficient but try to catch the audience with a hook. This time the hook didn't take but the library of the system saved it irregardless.

As for the WiiU I can't even blame them for trying to roll that wave of not making developers try to boost budgets higher since that had been pretty much the only word coming across from anyone at GDCs for years was the dread of having to make that next graphical leap and everyone wondering who would go out of business next as all the mid-low tier game studios that made non AAA games went out of business. Turns out the industry is gonna trudge on anyway even trying to hook motherfuckers into believing VR is the next untapped frontier to keep people working. :jerkbag:

fivegears4reverse posted:

I... wouldn't say the PSP was a portable PS2. Not even close. It was definitely more powerful than a DS, but I think it was closer to a PS1.5 rather than a full PS2, and it definitely shows in some games.

I wouldn't even say they 'sidestepped' the PSP. It's the cool thing these days to say that it failed, but the PSP is literally the only time anyone has successfully challenged Nintendo in the handheld arena in any way whatsoever prior to the rise of smartphone/device gaming. It sold close to 80 million units worldwide. Unlike, say, any other handheld (including the Vita) that ever came out against a Nintendo handheld, it was a viable alternative for developers to put games on and make money.

Yeah, the DS (mostly the Lite model) outsold it, but I wouldn't say it was a victory won because Nintendo picked cheaper/weaker parts.

They definitely didn't sidestep the PS2. Nobody did. Nintendo might have stayed 'in the black', but that's a nice way of saying they endured a second console generation where people said they were playing Playstation instead of Nintendo in reference to videogames. The PS2 didn't dominate only because of its extra bells and whistles, as much as those might have helped sell the console at first. It had a ridiculous, unmatched library at the time that no-one came close to competing with.

With the PSP I would say games on it more often than not looked closer to their PS2 counterparts than their PS1 counterparts. Granted knock off a lot of quality and add load times like a motherfucker but there were more than a few games you could mistake for early PS2 games than their were ones you'd mistake for PS1 games.

And yes, the PSP was pretty successful all things considered. 80 million is no number to sneeze at but it existed against the DS family which sold almost as much as the PS2 and near twice what the PSP sold. I wasn't saying PSP was a failure or that the DS beat it due to cheaper parts in as much as Nintendo making the unit a profitable unit that they could sell at a lower price point but also make money on is what helped them slide ahead (along with a great library) and why we're sitting here not THAT worried about Nintendo going out of business do to the money they made during the DS/Wii era (two systems that sold well but also made money per unit).

Likewise, in a similar situation the PS2 was the juggernaut of it's era much in the same way. I certainly wasn't saying that they sidestepped the PS2's dominance, because that'd be loving crazy talk or that the PS2 alone was successful due to having poo poo like DVD playback (although that's pretty definitively agreed upon as the thing that got it in homes to start as it was a cheap DVD player). What I was saying though was that despite Playstations curb stomping via the PS2, Nintendo was able to cut out a spot and ride the storm due to it's conservatism with the Gamecube making it profitable per unit and not tanking too hard overall despite only selling 20 some odd million units to PS2's Eleventy Billion. The alternative universe being one where Iwata's philosophy didn't permeate Nintendo and they chug along pumping out another N64 that takes an even worse shellacking this time leaving them in a worse spot to try to launch the inevitable next handheld/console.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 29, 2016

• Locked thread