Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

People are pointing out the last time Nintendo held off on revealing something on the fear of copycats, it turned out to be Mario's water jetpack.

So, I'm not saying the NX is a water jetpack, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jonas Albrecht posted:

People are pointing out the last time Nintendo held off on revealing something on the fear of copycats, it turned out to be Mario's water jetpack.

I preordered one just on the implication.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The reason they don't try is because they were able to sidestep the tech race once with the Wii and now they think they can do it forever.

The even weirder part about Nintendo's belief with this is that the Wii fell off hard later in the generation, partially because its target demographic moved on to smartphones and tablets for casual gaming, and partially because the problems with people getting tired of old hardware was even more exacerbated by the Wii's hardware being over a decade old. So they actually wound up in third place in the generation even with their massive boost at the beginning.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It'll be this, but as a video game console

You'll have to fill up the water tank regularly though. Nyko will come out with a solution in the form of a bigger container.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Patter Song posted:

Nintendo held its annual shareholders meetings.

3. They said that they're holding off as long as possible on showing off the NX because other people are going to steal their super-cool secret idea. :jerkbag:

To be fair, there was the Kinect and Move following the Wii and Smartglass following the Wii U. The fact that those products were all hot garbage notwithstanding.

Is this... Battleship, but with a penalty of getting a face full of water for losing?

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 29, 2016

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.

raditts posted:

To be fair, there was the Kinect and Move following the Wii and Smartglass following the Wii U. The fact that those products were all hot garbage notwithstanding.

Is this... Battleship, but with a penalty of getting a face full of water for losing?

No, just a light mist

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

http://nintendoeverything.com/details-from-nintendos-76th-annual-general-meeting-of-shareholders/

quote:

Q15. I believe that the game industry’s biggest problems are increasing development costs and the length of development. I’d like to hear from each director what their approach to this is.

Kimishima: Certainly, development costs have increased in the last 10 years. Let’s have each director answer.

Takeda: We’re using increases in productivity to make an appeal with the greatness of games instead of [hardware] performance.

Miyamoto: Breath of the Wild has over 100 staff, and over 300 people in the credits, spending over 5 years. Our current efforts will be helpful in the next production. The costs will be recovered by selling in large volumes, passing 2m sales. A game is a hit in the domestic market if it reaches 300k sales, but we’re targeting worldwide sales. Reviews on the Internet get around. Details get pointed out, so our staff is working more than is required.

Shinya Takahashi: By using resources made for Zelda on other software, we can make many compact titles. The last Brain Training sold a lot with small resources. We’re doing lots of things to reduce development times like reusing game engines.

Considering the amount of stuff in Breath, I can imagine a few games can be fashioned from its body parts.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

We're definitely getting another asset flip Zelda, at the very least.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

And I, speaking as a time-traveler hailing from April 2017, would be fine with that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

We're definitely getting another asset flip Zelda, at the very least.

wouldn't be shocked if this engine is being used for Mario/Metroid or any other of their tent pole games that are coming to the NX.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dexo posted:

wouldn't be shocked if this engine is being used for Mario/Metroid or any other of their tent pole games that are coming to the NX.

They did also say during E3 that they're working on a new type of Mario game.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

Remember Nintendo's brief push for Wuhu Island from Wii Sports Resort to become a shared Nintendo hub world where games of all sorts could be set and, through reusing the same large map across games, people would become highly familiar with it? And how they proceeded to use that island again in Pilotwings 3DS and nothing else?

Maybe they could actually do that with new Hyrule. Not set Mario there, obviously, but the next time they have a sports game like Wii Sports, have the events be in various parts of Hyrule. Have a Skydiving event on Death Mountain, as well as a Rockclimbing one. Have a Volleyball game on the beach next to the ocean, and have Swimming events in it. That sort of thing.

Come to think of it, a straight-up Pilotwings in Hyrule (or in Xenoblade Chronicles X's Mira) could be a lot of fun.

Then you could do Mario Golf: Hyrule Tour, Mario Tennis: Hylian Cup and so forth. Using all the same backdrops from Breath of the Wild.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Patter Song posted:

Remember Nintendo's brief push for Wuhu Island from Wii Sports Resort to become a shared Nintendo hub world where games of all sorts could be set and, through reusing the same large map across games, people would become highly familiar with it? And how they proceeded to use that island again in Pilotwings 3DS and nothing else?

Not true, they used it again for Mario Kart 7 for two tracks, and though they may have made an HD one for Smash Wii U they managed to make two stages featuring the island

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

breath of the wild looks really good so I'm ok with them adding more onto it

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cowman posted:

breath of the wild looks really good so I'm ok with them adding more onto it

It does seem very dlc friendly.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Maybe they could actually do that with new Hyrule. Not set Mario there, obviously, but the next time they have a sports game like Wii Sports, have the events be in various parts of Hyrule. Have a Skydiving event on Death Mountain, as well as a Rockclimbing one. Have a Volleyball game on the beach next to the ocean, and have Swimming events in it. That sort of thing.

Come to think of it, a straight-up Pilotwings in Hyrule (or in Xenoblade Chronicles X's Mira) could be a lot of fun.

Then you could do Mario Golf: Hyrule Tour, Mario Tennis: Hylian Cup and so forth. Using all the same backdrops from Breath of the Wild.

that would be a cool but only up to a certain point because basing like 6 or 7 games in the same atmosphere would start to get extremely lazy and boring

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Patter Song posted:

One more point I forgot to mention:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild has been in development for five years and has to sell three million copies before it even breaks even.

Didn't it say 2 million sales? That puts it roughly between the sales of Mario Party 10 and Super Luigi U in terms of sales.

The Ocarina of Time remake sold 4 million units.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Dexo posted:

wouldn't be shocked if this engine is being used for Mario/Metroid

sneaky sneaky

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lol yeah 3 million is jack poo poo especially as it's going to be a launch title on a system, as well as a large number of people who bought a Wii U probably buying it too.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Is the Nx going to support Miiverse??

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It'll beam Miiverse posts directly from your mind

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

smell this posted:

Is the Nx going to support Miiverse??
We don't even know if it will support human eyes at this point, maybe only the secret lizard people can play it

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

Didn't it say 2 million sales? That puts it roughly between the sales of Mario Party 10 and Super Luigi U in terms of sales.

The Ocarina of Time remake sold 4 million units.

You're right, it was 2 million. The thing I saw last night was a bit rushed in translation.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Whenever you think a positive thing about a game on Nintendo NX the brain chip add-on will automatically send your thoughts to the Miiverse

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Nintendo NX announces that their next console is actually an Android console that uses your phone as the processor and controller. Nintendo swears this technology is new as they desperately attempt to hide all evidence of the Ouya.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dr Cheeto posted:

Whenever you think a positive thing about a game on Nintendo NX the brain chip add-on will automatically send your thoughts to the Miiverse

This is pretty much what they are doing with My Nintendo and Miitomo

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Pirate Jet posted:

The even weirder part about Nintendo's belief with this is that the Wii fell off hard later in the generation, partially because its target demographic moved on to smartphones and tablets for casual gaming, and partially because the problems with people getting tired of old hardware was even more exacerbated by the Wii's hardware being over a decade old. So they actually wound up in third place in the generation even with their massive boost at the beginning.

Uhh, Wii sold ~102 million worldwide compared to ~85 million each for the other two.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
If I'm not able to transfer my cool and snazzy outfits from Miitomo to my Mii on NX then I will be very very disappointed.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gorgolflox posted:

If I'm not able to transfer my cool and snazzy outfits from Miitomo to my Mii on NX then I will be very very disappointed.

This has to be the goal of miitomo. They already make money from people buying outfits for their miis on an app that does nothing else, imagine how much they'll make when those Miis are actually integrated into something.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Miis in hotdog suits, as far as the eye can see...

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Uhh, Wii sold ~102 million worldwide compared to ~85 million each for the other two.
But nobody looks back fondly on the Wii beyond a handful of first party Nintendo titles. It is mostly remembered as a popular but short lived gimmick that spent most of its life collecting dust next to a PS3 or Xbox 360. Those extra 20 million consoles didn't help them in the end because nobody bought the Wii U after seeing how badly they poo poo the bed with software support on the Wii.

fat bossy gerbil fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 29, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I think you'd find a stronger argument in the fact that the Wii was extremely good at penetrating markets which do not typically include gamers, and those markets are less likely to be enthusiastic about buying another console.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

The French Army! posted:

But nobody looks back fondly on the Wii beyond a handful of first party Nintendo titles. It is mostly remembered as a popular but short lived gimmick that spent most of its life collecting dust next to a PS3 or Xbox 360. Those extra 20 million consoles didn't help them in the end because nobody bought the Wii U after seeing how badly they poo poo the bed with software support on the Wii.

Yeah but nobody in the history of ever declared a winner of a generation (which is a dumb thing in and of itself) by how fondly a console was remembered. It's always been judged by sales of consoles. It's just after the wiiu sold like gangbusters initially that motherfucker came out of the woodwork with "yeah but if you go by how many letters are in a name the wii didn't really 'win' did it?"

If fond memories declared a winner a small contingent of dudes would have made sure the Dreamcast was the winner of its lifetime.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Astro7x posted:

This is pretty much what they are doing with My Nintendo and Miitomo
Really? I thought all the thoughts they tried to capture on there were dumb poo poo like "what's your favorite color"

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

I think you'd find a stronger argument in the fact that the Wii was extremely good at penetrating markets which do not typically include gamers, and those markets are less likely to be enthusiastic about buying another console.

That is certainly a large part of the success of the Wii but it was still an extremely hot ticket item amongst gamers both casual and hardcore at the time of its launch and for about two years after. A good portion of Wii sales were to non traditional audiences as you said but I'd still wager that the majority of them were sold to gamers who wanted to try it out and in the end were disappointed.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CrashCat posted:

Really? I thought all the thoughts they tried to capture on there were dumb poo poo like "what's your favorite color"

I meant it as in "think about using Nintendo products every single day and we'll reward you with lovely Nintendo swag"

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

:laugh:

My money on what it actually is? Some kind of smartphone integration thing. It'd make sense with them talking about it being a console/portable hybrid kind of but also totally a console that's not really portable. It's probably going to be a goofy overwrought Nintendo thing that is open to third parties but very specific to their poo poo making their fears of being copied kind of overblown, but That's Nintendo.

As for speculation on specifics, it's probably something that can in one mode have your smartphone work basically like the Wii U gamepad (and perhaps also it's backwards compatible) streaming directly to the device screen, and the "main" controller is something like the Pro Pad but with some kind of snap-on-snap-off universal mount for an android or ios phone or tablet. The Almond Thing is probably a purposefully lovely and misleading mockup of this. If you don't have a smartphone or tablet, it works with the Wii U pads (sold separately) and maybe there's an upgraded NX-specific one that has a higher resolution and can support more modes (basically a Nintendo Android tablet.) In other modes, it uses companion applications (perhaps launched through the NX app that does this poo poo) that run natively on iOS/Android and communicate with the game directly while it's on, and allow some form of offline play on the go. This would also let them keep backwards compatibility with the Wii U and maybe back to the Wii, which would be really cool of them.

Regardless of what it is specifically, I pretty strongly suspect The Thing with the NX is going to be Nintendo doing something that gets them involved in mobile casual gaming, as it is a huge threat to Nintendo unless they figure out a way to harness it thrive with it and they know that they can't just sit in their own hardware silo and do things their way anymore.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 29, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Whatever the NX is, I bet it will have an rear end backwards online system.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Whatever the NX is, I bet it will have an rear end backwards online system.

Well my other favorite fuckup Japanese company is Square Enix, and going by their example, I think the NX is going to be good at online because it HAS to (for reasons outlined above) but much like SE's FFXIV reboot, it's going to be hosed up in weird ways like the Mog Station is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Boten Anna posted:

... one mode have your smartphone work basically like the Wii U gamepad ... "main" controller is something like the Pro Pad but with some kind of snap-on-snap-off universal mount for an android or ios phone or tablet... If you don't have a smartphone or tablet, it works with the Wii U pads (sold separately) and maybe there's an upgraded NX-specific one that has a higher resolution and can support more modes ... uses companion applications
well, considering complicating things with the Wii U worked so well, I can see no problem with this plan

MOM stop hogging the phone I wanna play zelda now

What do you mean we're out of minutes MOMMMMM that's not how it works

MOMMMMMM your phone is too slow mom mom mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

• Locked thread