Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
E: CanPol 2016:I too, hope for the eventuality of violent action against those who mostly annoy me.

Lol gently caress it.

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Running away from electoral reform!!

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

PT6A posted:

Why should vaping be illegal? It basically ensures that these people will never get laid and reproduce, ergo it's a benefit for humanity.

That longer-term goal is outweighed by my short-term desire not to have a massive, mildly nauseating cloud that expands to fill the entire width of the sidewalk blorted out in front of me repeatedly by people who insist it doesn't smell (see also :420:).

And then there was the person who kept vaping in the airport departure lounge, oblivious to those around her, while occasionally extolling the virtues of Donald J. Trump.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really wasn't expecting the first coherent Hal posts to be about PT6A.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

PT6A posted:

Did you ever consider that maybe drunk people in bars are the very best way to judge to cultural temperature of a country? If they bitch about the lack of live music or something, it bodes well; if they bitch about the fact you aren't playing recorded songs from several decades ago, it's bad.

I've been through this before: Champagne can only come from the Champagne region of France, but that doesn't mean that other sparkling wines are inherently inferior -- in fact, I think many of them are as good or superior on a quality basis, and much better on a quality-to-price basis. A very good Cava or Cremant de Savoie, for example, may be better than a given Champagne, but that doesn't make them Champagne.

Lmao. You think that this makes you look like some kind of sophisticate but everyone knows you're just Alberta trash with a little bit of money.

P.S. Most live music sucks.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jordan7hm posted:

That's the real breakthrough in this thread.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Dreylad posted:

That's the real breakthrough in this thread.

I think Hal is secretly a CI alt account

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

infernal machines posted:

How's it going out in Alberta?

...oh

Hahaha

quote:

PermaCorp message leads to backlash, company response

'If I need another employee it is so easy.'

That blunt message delivered within a missive from a PermaCorp manager has drawn ire online over recent weeks and has forced the Edmonton industrial manufacturing company to backtrack.

"Issues related to that message have been handled internally. The message sent does not align with our core values of personal growth and diversity. Due to the economic conditions in Alberta, PermaCorp, like most companies in Alberta has been significantly impacted. We are continuing to strategically enter new markets to ensure long term job security. We hold our team to the highest regard and consider each of them invaluable to the daily and long term operations at PermaCorp."

The wonders of social media. That "apology" is incredibly mealy-mouthed and milquetoast, but what can you expect from a company whose management posts poo poo like this in the workplace?

e: wait a minute, these are the guys who make PermaRail. I've heard of these guys. :laffo: I am not at all surprised that these guys are in construction and renovation; this kind of weird corporate fiefdom attitude seems crazy common in this industry's business owners

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 29, 2016

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Documentary footage of PT6A found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=178xvHzPYgY

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

How's it going out in Alberta?

...oh

poo poo like this is why unions exist.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DariusLikewise posted:

poo poo like this is why unions exist.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, this is Alberta were talking about here. I imagine more than a couple self-made Albertans were nodding to themselves while reading that notice.

Fake edit: That sign would have raised cheers in some workplaces in BC. :cripes:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 9, 2022

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Hahaha

The wonders of social media. That "apology" is incredibly mealy-mouthed and milquetoast, but what can you expect from a company whose management posts poo poo like this in the workplace?

e: wait a minute, these are the guys who make PermaRail. I've heard of these guys. :laffo: I am not at all surprised that these guys are in construction and renovation; this kind of weird corporate fiefdom attitude seems crazy common in this industry's business owners

Corruption is pretty bad in the construction industry in the Prairies. Think mob family / biker gang controlled. Saskatoon's home builders are pretty much all controlled by one home building company rather than individual contractors. If you want to work, you work for them. They also use the money they get from building the houses to fund construction of other homes, barely keeping afloat if they don't sell enough houses.

The industry is based on building cheap houses quick and then nailing the home owner again for renovations to finish the basement that should've been included in the $400K house.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Hahaha

I wonder what their safety record is like.

It's just amusing to see someone decide that maybe the grunts just aren't getting the implicit threat, and actually write it out for them on a whiteboard, with handy printouts of their supporting sources.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Their employees should call their bluff and quit en masse. Let's see just how easy it to replace a whole bunch of workers after all.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

Their employees should call their bluff and quit en masse. Let's see just how easy it to replace a whole bunch of workers after all.

Yes, they should. Although that sounds a lot like a wildcat strike, comrade.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't have a problem with unions or strikes. Anyone who's against them completely is essentially arguing that a) some kinds of contracts are invalid by their very nature just because they have an effect that some people don't like and b) people can essentially be coerced to do labour, both of which are hideous things to argue because they would, in effect, invalidate some of the most important personal freedoms.

Being against unions or the ability to strike is completely anti-libertarian, in actual fact, so it should be a point of common ground between the economic left and the economic right, only opposed by authoritarians and those who seek solely to enrich big business.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ontario Ombudsman: The police are killing the mentally ill because that's what they're being trained to do. We'd like that to stop.

The Star posted:

“The issue of how police are trained to handle situations of conflict with people in crisis is not a matter of academic debate. It is literally a matter of life and death, and one that has been neglected in this province for too long,”
Since Yatim’s death, 19 more people were shot dead by police in Ontario. “In many cases, these were vulnerable people in crisis,” Dubé says in the report.
Dubé says people who are in crisis are dying at the hands of police not because police aren’t following their training — “it’s because they are.”
“The majority of their training focuses on exerting authority and establishing control over armed or hostile subjects, principally by drawing their weapons and yelling commands,”

Hey, this looks familiar, doesn't it?

https://twitter.com/wendygillis/status/748180570354622464

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

I asked a criminologist about this stuff awhile back. She said that situations often escalate sharply because of training and culture that expects officers to protect their partner. Law enforcement can spiral into excessive force pretty quickly in the heat of the moment, but it's often not a "gently caress this crazy rear end in a top hat," or "oh poo poo he's going to eat my face." It's a less malevolent but much more thorny, "my partner is threatened."

A lot of the time it's just "gently caress this crazy rear end in a top hat," though.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 29, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It's about loving time the police dropped this bullshit. It's blatantly obvious that this entire model boils down to 'escalate the situation until you think you can justify killing them'.

It's deplorable.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
We're not so awesome at non-police situation management of disability either.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

It's about loving time the police dropped this bullshit. It's blatantly obvious that this entire model boils down to 'escalate the situation until you think you can justify killing them'.

I disagree that's the intent, certainly that appears to be the result though.

I think it's more likely that they view drawing their weapon and shouting commands to be a valid deescalation technique, and when that doesn't work the next step is to use force.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah the very basic motivation behind much of the current training model is, itself, relatively well-intentioned; "you must protect yourself and/or your partner from harm" is a perfectly reasonable first priority in decision-making, not least because trying to train officers to override their self-preservation instincts during crises would essentially require training them more like soldiers than peace officers.

The problem doesn't lie with officers being able, willing, or trained to defend themselves and civilians - that's a logical necessity of policing. The problem lies with a police culture that prioritizes authority and control, views common social issues through a cultural lens so outdated that it verges on superstition, and is rarely subjected to anywhere near the level of accountability and unbiased supervision that it needs.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 29, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hey, having a weapon on me would certainly make me inclined to do what someone said to do, regardless of whether it's a police officer, armed robber, or mugger.

EDIT: I'm not necessarily saying it's the best way, but it does work a treat in 95% of circumstances when you aren't dealing with a lunatic.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

PT6A posted:

Hey, having a weapon on me would certainly make me inclined to do what someone said to do, regardless of whether it's a police officer, armed robber, or mugger.

EDIT: I'm not necessarily saying it's the best way, but it does work a treat in 95% of circumstances when you aren't dealing with a lunatic.

See, you'd think that, but in reality it turns out that pulling a gun on people and yelling at them makes them panic, and panicking people are unpredictable as gently caress. Escalation is really, really, really bad policing.

Armed robbers and muggers just want your poo poo. If they shoot you, well, they still get your poo poo. Cops are literally paid, appointed, and sworn to protect you. If they shoot you, there is a very high likelihood that they have cataclysmically hosed up, because the thing they did was the exact opposite of the thing they are supposed to be doing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

That's cool and all but get this, it's not a deescalation technique.

Again: Pointing a weapon at someone and shouting is not deescalating the situation.

I'm not sure why this needs to be repeated so often. Resolving a situation through intimidation and threat of force is not deescalation. It is basically the opposite of that.

The fact that officers are being trained to use the two interchangeably is specifically why people are getting shot and what the report recommends stop immediately, because it is provably resulting in people being killed rather than resolving the situation peacefully.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah the very basic motivation behind much of the current training model is, itself, relatively well-intentioned; "you must protect yourself and/or your partner from harm" is a perfectly reasonable first priority in decision-making, not least because trying to train officers to override their self-preservation instincts during crises would essentially require training them more like soldiers than peace officers.

If they're being armed like soldiers they can follow the same ROE as soldiers.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
SIT DOWN STAND UP DONT MOVE PUT YOUR HANDS UP DONT MOVE LAY DOWN I SAID DONT MOVE HANDS UP LAY DOWN DONT MOVE *BANG*

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

If they're being armed like soldiers they can follow the same ROE as soldiers.

Rank-and-file cops should definitely not ever be armed like soldiers outside of truly extraordinary temporary emergency measures, so yeah, sure, they can play soldier if we get invaded. In the meantime, they should probably behave like officers of the peace.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Rank-and-file cops should definitely not ever be armed like soldiers outside of truly extraordinary temporary emergency measures, so yeah, sure, they can play soldier if we get invaded.

They have side arms and are now being issued C8 carbines.

Note, this is not the ETF I'm talking about, these are front line officers.

See: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-police-rifles-1.3409707

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Good grief.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You have to up gun to face the latest threats that come with a lack of carding now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

That seems like a strange thing to only be happening now. I know that Calgary police have had C8s for quite some time. I assumed that Toronto, being the "big city," would have up-gunned a long time ago, on like a US militarization timetable.

quote:

Peel Regional Police told CBC News, so far officers have fired the weapons "to humanely dispatch a badly injured animal that could otherwise not be saved."

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 29, 2016

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

That's the point. Drawing a weapon and shouting orders doesn't work on the mentally ill and they are being killed as a result. It basically requires lucid thought and a command of English; which it turns out, many people acting erratically, lack.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

See: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-police-rifles-1.3409707

I don't see what the problem here is, these guns are for de-escalation:

quote:

John Weiler, an instructor at the Ontario Police College in Aylmer, Ont., says the weapons are a safer alternative in situations with active shooters or barricaded subjects.

Weiler added the guns can also be used as part of a de-escalation strategy.

Unfortunately Weiler didn't specify what that strategy would be but I imagine that getting shot several times with a C8 rifle would take the fight out of you pretty quick so I suppose you could argue being shot is a form of extreme de-escalation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilJoven posted:

SIT DOWN STAND UP DONT MOVE PUT YOUR HANDS UP DONT MOVE LAY DOWN I SAID DONT MOVE HANDS UP LAY DOWN DONT MOVE *BANG*

I've seen a lot of videos where situations escalate out of hand for seemingly no reason and this is about 90% of it. I guess they are trained to YELL and speak with AUTHORITY but that should be something you escalate to, yell in a booming voice to snap someone out of something or get them to pay attention to you. Too many times someone who isn't hostile and is trying to cooperate, but is scared to death from all the lights and screaming and drawn guns doesn't react fast enough or do exactly what the police want, and next thing you know they're getting a boot to the back of their legs because they didn't kneel down fast enough, or a boot to the face because they didn't get up off the ground fast enough.

I mean when I go to physio, which should be a relaxing calm place, I still gently caress up half the time she says "ok now lay on your left side" or "ok now flip over on your back". That's something everyone does, even in calm situations. When you're scared to death, possibly drunk or on drugs, maybe mentally ill, maybe ask them calmly? Police are great at escalating and projecting power and intimidating, but they really need some training on just talking to people like a human and calming them down, things would go smoother for everyone. But half the time it seems the police WANT to escalate, so they can work out some of their rage or frustrations on someone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Helsing posted:

I don't see what the problem here is, these guns are for de-escalation:

Unfortunately Weiler didn't specify what that strategy would be but I imagine that getting shot several times with a C8 rifle would take the fight out of you pretty quick so I suppose you could argue being shot is a form of extreme de-escalation.

This should be a huge flashing warning sign complete with a comically huge klaxon going off.

This is why you don't give the loving police carbines god drat it

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Reminder that the Winnipeg Police bought these two loving things due to the constant threat of terrorism and there was actual public support for both.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I've seen a lot of videos where situations escalate out of hand for seemingly no reason and this is about 90% of it. I guess they are trained to YELL and speak with AUTHORITY but that should be something you escalate to, yell in a booming voice to snap someone out of something or get them to pay attention to you. Too many times someone who isn't hostile and is trying to cooperate, but is scared to death from all the lights and screaming and drawn guns doesn't react fast enough or do exactly what the police want, and next thing you know they're getting a boot to the back of their legs because they didn't kneel down fast enough, or a boot to the face because they didn't get up off the ground fast enough.

I mean when I go to physio, which should be a relaxing calm place, I still gently caress up half the time she says "ok now lay on your left side" or "ok now flip over on your back". That's something everyone does, even in calm situations. When you're scared to death, possibly drunk or on drugs, maybe mentally ill, maybe ask them calmly? Police are great at escalating and projecting power and intimidating, but they really need some training on just talking to people like a human and calming them down, things would go smoother for everyone. But half the time it seems the police WANT to escalate, so they can work out some of their rage or frustrations on someone.

The bolded part of this is very important to moving forward in fixing things. Part of it is the type of people modern policing draws in (its basically military-lite only you dont have to go melt in a foreign desert to shoot people). A bigger part of it though is that our police force is unable to deal with their own mental illness and we expect them to be able to handle others acting in an equally irrational manner. How can we expect them to help other seek treatment when they cant even seek help themselves? Police culture is toxic and still very oldschool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jordan7hm posted:

I was actually shocked by this and was going to mention it as well. Good job Hal!