Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

Had an offensive Torb in one of my placements that I actually ended up winning in, I would have gladly taken another loss just to avoid empowering his stupidity.

I ended 6-4 with 18 golds and started at 50 rank.

His headshot does a lot of damage though. I played him and got a gold medal so welcome to The Wrong Opinion Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The only few changes I would want are...

Reaper: Slight damage reduction while using his Ult. It's a bit too situational as it is, and the best counter is for the other team to focus you down rather than running like the Ult should make them do.

Junkrat: Give his Wheel of Doom a bit more HP. Junkrat's is perhaps the only Ult that can just be flat-out negated by quick enough focus fire, and that doesn't feel very...ultimate, especially when for some reason his Ultimate bark feels like the loudest in the game. Edit: And/or, make it so his Ult detonates immediately when destroyed, so it still has the possibility of killing someone.

Torbjorn: Put his turret damage back where it was on consoles and instead limit his turret's range of rotation. Give it a blindspot behind and possibly above itself where people can safely approach, or force Torbjorn to put his turret against a wall if he wants to cover that angle. Yes, this would make it more like the TF2 turret, but whatever.

Symmetra: Change the visual of her un-locked beam to make it easier to tell what its lock-on range is.

Zarya: Reduce the base cooldown of shields, but make it so the amount that the shields absorb extends their cooldown.

Most of these changes are less about balance and more about making the characters easier to play in their respective roles, but I think they'd all have a positive impact.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 29, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ItBurns posted:

His headshot does a lot of damage though. I played him and got a gold medal so welcome to The Wrong Opinion Club.

Wow, how butthurt are you.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ItBurns posted:

Only a senior officer can extend such a welcome to the club, buddy. I checked the charter. :cool:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I do not mind offensive Torb at all as long as he is up there causing ruckus and throwing out armour packs

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

BabyRyoga posted:

avoid empowering his stupidity.

If it works, it works. Why constrain yourself or attempt to feel shame about it?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
In no universe is Genji going to give me 75 armour and deploy something to cover my back

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Try not to conflate attacking with Offense and defending with Defense (for understandable reasons, really). Offense heroes are good at killing other heroes. Defense heroes are good at controlling areas. Both of these things are important on attack! Being able to secure a large area or shut off a side approach can make all the difference between a good push and 5 minutes of sputtering.

Offensive Torb means a constant stream of armor and a turret that instantly alerts you to any approachers (especially useful on payload) and forces cooldowns from defender Genji/Tracer attempting to flank.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
there's a thread for your giant weird effortposts about balance you ultraspergs.

I got rank 55 with 6/4. one game being a stomp because we were 4v6

pretty okay with never playing competitive again until next season, though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ended up going 6-4 in my placement matches. I played my first 3 matches with discord goons and lost all three of those, lol loving goons. Played the last 7 matches with my regular pre-made and went 6-1. Ended up with a skill rating of 53, so I can totally call myself a completely average player at OW now right? Ended the night at 55 after a couple wins. Competitive is good and fun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

there's a thread for your giant weird effortposts about balance you ultraspergs.

it's this thread, and every other thread

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Countblanc posted:

it's this thread, and every other thread

Mercy save us~

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Link? My balance ideas need to be in every OW thread.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Link? My balance ideas need to be in every OW thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777487

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm the simcity 2000 roads guy here saying that you will in fact regret this.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

teagone posted:

Ended up going 6-4 in my placement matches. I played my first 3 matches with discord goons and lost all three of those, lol loving goons. Played the last 7 matches with my regular pre-made and went 6-1. Ended up with a skill rating of 53, so I can totally call myself a completely average player at OW now right? Ended the night at 55 after a couple wins. Competitive is good and fun.

Shoulda been 7-0 but we got loving ROBBED. Stopwatch please Blizzard.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mcvey posted:

Yeah, we got GG RNG coin flip on Hanamura as attackers. Horseshit. HORSESHIT.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

"Terrible portal placement" says my teammate in the match that I earn Huge Success. Add achievement toasts to team chat please, Blizzard.

The cherry on top was my postgame card being for gold elims.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BabyRyoga posted:

He is probably the most difficult hero in the game to play effectively, so 90% of those people who main Genji should probably be learning fundamentals rather than getting in over their heads.

The problem is the other 10%, because playing against any of them is about as fun as playing against a poo poo hot Widowmaker, and I'd really rather suffer a penalty from quitting mid game than have to play against some rear end in a top hat in a Genji who routinely kills all 6 of my team on his own while climbing walls like the loving Spiderman, never failing to hit perfectly timed key combos, and never taking damage ever, and we end up not getting to the first cap point ever.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 29, 2016

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

redweird posted:

Changes I would like to see to D.Va:

Defense Matrix absorbing all projectiles and firing them back in a big clump like in Titanfall (includes ults)

Yesss! Would loving love to have this.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Wait how can there be another overwatch thread that is even worse then this one?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

neonbregna posted:

Wait how can there be another overwatch thread that is even worse then this one?

No matter how bad a thread is there can always be worse.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NTRabbit posted:

The problem is the other 10%, because playing against any of them is about as fun as playing against a poo poo hot Widowmaker, and I'd really rather suffer a penalty from quitting mid game than have to play against some rear end in a top hat in a Genji who routinely kills all 6 of my team on his own while climbing walls like the loving Spiderman, never failing to hit perfectly timed key combos, and never taking damage ever, and we end up not getting to the first cap point ever.

If someone can play Genji well enough that they are soloing your team, they probably outskill you by a large margin and will blow you up no matter which offensive hero they play.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I still think Mercy's rez ought to require LoS AND be a quick interruptible channel. People will say git gud and kill the Mercy first but there are too many maps where she can rez the whole team from HER SPAWN ROOM on the final point, or at the very least all she has to do is run out of her spawn and mash Q before you can kill her to undo your last push.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Supercar Gautier posted:

The wording on the website suggests they vanish when the season ends. I think they want the rewards to commemorate the specific season they were earned in, not just comp play in general.

300 victories in 2.5 months is only about 4 wins a day, so it should be possible for anyone to get a gold weapon just by playing casually on a regular basis.

Believe it or not I can't play the game every day for two months... or grind out 12 wins in one evening because I skipped a few days, so I'm probably the kind of player who is not supposed to get the cool cosmetic rewards.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think you're not meant to build up the competitive points to buy that stuff by winning 300 matches. There will be a lump sum reward of some kind at the end of the season.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I really like Zarya, I have around 60-70 winrate with her, mostly because I pick her when I really want that win or because the team comp is begging for her. I feel the m1 needs a bit of tweaking though, because of a combination of tickrate, the range being awkward to judge and my poor tracking ability. I would like to melt soft targets at midrange but it feels so unreliable when not firing at big targets or enemies in your face, I end up spamming m2 unless I know I can land a second or two of beam. otoh m2 is really reliable and easy to hit with, so maybe it's working as intended, us baddies can just spam the lower dps cannon.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
australian servers still hosed for me
ping spiking up to 1000 in the middle of every match

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
0-2 so far in placement matches, let's go, let's be the baddest baddy Overwatch has ever seen :getin:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

300 victories in 2.5 months is only about 4 wins a day, so it should be possible for anyone to get a gold weapon just by playing casually on a regular basis.

playing 8 comp matches an evening every evening doesn't sound very casual

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

So they didn't split solo and group competitive? How is that supposed to work, or have they formally conceded that this game will forever be terrible unless in a premade group.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Imagined posted:

I think you're not meant to build up the competitive points to buy that stuff by winning 300 matches. There will be a lump sum reward of some kind at the end of the season.

So that'd mean points will last at least through the downtime between seasons. Hopefully they just stick until used.

I really wish brawls gave a loot box for winning like the brawls in hearthstone. Also that Zenyatta's balls bounced off walls. Hitting with it would be an issue but would be fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

australian servers still hosed for me
ping spiking up to 1000 in the middle of every match

They're with the US servers. God knows why though. Come play on the Asia ones instead.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
In hearthstone the gold hero portraits are also 300 wins, and have no regard for season. Have they said it works differently?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

In hearthstone the gold hero portraits are also 300 wins

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Are they? That's what I get for relying on memory

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Playing competitive with friends is cool and good but playing competitive alone is the absolute worst

it's just 4 bads yelling angrily about how everyone else sucks EXCEPT THEM and then one person giving us his personal character tier list

also request: kick anyone who has less than an hour in anyone that isn't their "Main" and also ban anyone in that category whose main is hanzo, genji or widowmaker

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

bara godzilla posted:

Playing competitive with friends is cool and good but playing competitive alone is the absolute worst

it's just 4 bads yelling angrily about how everyone else sucks EXCEPT THEM and then one person giving us his personal character tier list

also request: kick anyone who has less than an hour in anyone that isn't their "Main" and also ban anyone in that category whose main is hanzo, genji or widowmaker

You seem upset. Perhaps you should embrace tranquility.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

mcvey posted:

Stopwatch definitely seems like the better option, but I wonder if they didn't implement it because it's so disruptive to the flow of the game. If a team wants to ride the cart to victory in 2 minutes flat then they should definitely win, but it's kind of poo poo from a (casual) gameplay perspective to only have 2 minutes to win when so much is left up to chance. Sudden Death at least seems like a natural conclusion, although I agree that it's frustrating and is arguably even more reliant on chance.

Verranicus posted:

Wow, how butthurt are you.

My jimmies are rustled af.

bara godzilla posted:

Are you sure you weren't reading this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

a cat on an apple posted:

You seem upset. Perhaps you should embrace tranquility.

uh zenyatta is a bottom tier character??? and if you dont switch off him im going tracer. gently caress it. its a lost game anyway. if you guys are going to ruin my rank i'm at least gonna have fun with it. muted all of you, gg team sucks