Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

bara godzilla posted:

Playing competitive with friends is cool and good but playing competitive alone is the absolute worst

it's just 4 bads yelling angrily about how everyone else sucks EXCEPT THEM and then one person giving us his personal character tier list

also request: kick anyone who has less than an hour in anyone that isn't their "Main" and also ban anyone in that category whose main is hanzo, genji or widowmaker

I had one jackass like this, but more often then not so far in my 5 placement games I've had teammates actually interested in team comp and communicating with mics. I find it especially helps if I start the mic chat, that makes more people join in.

For the jackass, I just was oppressively upbeat and happy with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah my placement matches haven't been bad so far, surprising considering that I am currently losing more than I'm winning.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

australian servers still hosed for me
ping spiking up to 1000 in the middle of every match

I must have been pretty lucky - I haven't had a problem with all night with the AU servers, and I just banged out all placement games in a row. It seems to be stomp or be stomped though - I mean, I went 7 - 3 (solo queue and I'm not a quality player by any stretch of the imagination) and ended up 59.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I disabled all in game communications, made everything so much better.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Mootallica posted:

I must have been pretty lucky - I haven't had a problem with all night with the AU servers, and I just banged out all placement games in a row. It seems to be stomp or be stomped though - I mean, I went 7 - 3 (solo queue and I'm not a quality player by any stretch of the imagination) and ended up 59.

Yeah the Aussie servers were working OK for me tonight, I've been having issues most of the week though.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I've had nothing but career offense players in my comp-placement. These 'ok' Tracers/Genji/Reapers that don't switch off when the map is calling for a second loving tank or something to counter that Bastion/Toblerone Turret.

How do you get 60+ hours slam-picking only one godamn character and still be poo poo at the game? I'd gouge out my eyes if I had to play Genji 24/7.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So what is sudden death mode exactly? Because to be honest it might as well just say "Attackers lose".

I had a super close game last night where both teams were barely holding points or taking them. When we stopped their "final push" we thought we won, but instead it threw us on attack with a 2 minute timer to take both points on Anubis. That was pretty disheartening.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So what is sudden death mode exactly? Because to be honest it might as well just say "Attackers lose".

I had a super close game last night where both teams were barely holding points or taking them. When we stopped their "final push" we thought we won, but instead it threw us on attack with a 2 minute timer to take both points on Anubis. That was pretty disheartening.

Unless that map specifically is different, you only need to take the first.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

How do you get 60+ hours slam-picking only one godamn character and still be poo poo at the game? I'd gouge out my eyes if I had to play Genji 24/7.
I imagine a big part is being literally fourteen years old.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

ItBurns posted:

Unless that map specifically is different, you only need to take the first.

Oh ok. That's wayyyy easier. We never took the first point because we kind of gave up at that point and hosed around. Nobody mentioned we only needed to take the first. I guess I'll remember that for next time.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Can you do your placement matches as a group or do you have to do them with randoms?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Raged posted:

Can you do your placement matches as a group or do you have to do them with randoms?

You can do it as a group, but matchmaking will attempt to put you against other groups. This could be better or worse than doing it solo.

The most important thing to take away is that 10 games probably won't be a perfectly accurate representation of your skill level.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Raged posted:

You can do them with a group.

Edit: Beaten like Zenyatta vs any other character.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Why is there so much hate for offensive Torb? I get that it's not ideal, but having a level 1 off just to the side of the main team serves as both reliable DPS and as a distraction to draw fire off of your teammates. This is particuarly true for KOTH maps if the enemy isn't on their game on taking them out as soon as they're plopped down.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

a cat on an apple posted:

You can do it as a group, but matchmaking will attempt to put you against other groups. This could be better or worse than doing it solo.

I did about half my placement matches solo, and the other half in a group. The pros and cons of solo matches are basically the same thing as any solo match: you're at the mercy of the matchmaking system. There are good, close, competitive games to be had but just as often it boils down to whether your team will be the unlucky team that ends up with the paste eaters and people who disconnect after round 1.

As a group of 6 the issue I noticed was that there may not be enough groups of 6 queuing up for it to put you into an even match (or the MMR just isn't stabilized yet). Every one of my 6-stack games was a total stomp; half I was on the winning side and we were playing against people who I would have sworn have never touched a computer before in their lives; and the other half I was on the losing side put up against what I would best describe as a team full of Seagulls. We didn't even make it out of our spawn in one game. None of the 6-stack games were the slightest bit competitive.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
So who is Genji's counter? I'm asking because I loving hate that character more than any other.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

First legendary in ages, and it's a duplicate of one of the 4 legendaries I already have, Lucio's Slapshot hockey skin, gives me a low 200 credits as compensation, gently caress that noise

Fibby Boy posted:

So who is Genji's counter? I'm asking because I loving hate that character more than any other.

Mei is his only counter, because she slows him down, and his reflecto sword doesn't work on her spray

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 29, 2016

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
What is the proper relative scope sensitivity for widowmaker in order to have the same sensitivity scoped and unscoped? Not even interested in playing her, more to practice flick shotting in general.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Why is there so much hate for offensive Torb?

Warbird posted:

I get that it's not ideal

You could probably win with 5 people too, or having everyone play Dva. It's also particularly poo poo on KotH. I can understand playing him on the hybrid payload maps to defend, but he doesn't belong in KotH.

I apologize in advance if you got a gold medal while doing this.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There is no way they reset comp points at the end of the season. They GIVE you a bunch at the end, how feelsbad would it be to get enough at the end of the season to buy a weapon but then have all your wins points go away?

Guns are your grind reward, and if it takes you a year to get there they'll all still be there waiting for you.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Comp points will work like treasure chests in Hearthstone probably. The higher your rank at the end of the season the bigger your reward. Gold weapons and points won't reset at end of season, just your rank.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Fibby Boy posted:

Anyone that can aim and stop shooting when he throws up his deflect. So that could be everyone or no one depending on you.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

NTRabbit posted:

First legendary in ages, and it's a duplicate of one of the 4 legendaries I already have, Lucio's Slapshot hockey skin, gives me a low 200 credits as compensation, gently caress that noise

Mei is his only counter, because she slows him down, and his reflecto sword doesn't work on her spray

Reflect also doesn't work on splash so while it's up shoot just off him with an explosion

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I used to think KOTH torb was a thing but I've seen Seagull try it a few times and even he was an absolute burden to his team

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Fibby Boy posted:

based on who ~genji mains~ whine the most about : mei and pharah

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

ItBurns posted:

I apologize in advance if you got a gold medal while doing this.

Works more often than one would think. I wouldn't try and pull that sort of thing on an initial rush, but if my team secures the point or is at least actively fighting over it then a turret does a good job of cementing a hold on the area. I view it is the median between TF2's Gunslinger and Vanilla Engi. Should it be used for every map in most situations? Certainly not, but people seem ready to condemn it in any situation that isn't ol' fashioned point defense.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I used to think KOTH torb was a thing but I've seen Seagull try it a few times and even he was an absolute burden to his team

I've had about 50/50 shots of if going one way or the other. You really need a team to keep opposing guys from shooting you up long enough to establish yourself. It's certainly not an every match thing like 76 or most of the cast.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 29, 2016

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

I will start learing pharah just to poo poo on genji's now. Thanks

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It almost seems like they added some new music to the game or maybe it just cycles quicker? It did lead to a play of the game match where it used the "payload is nearly there" music and kept playing it until the medals slided away.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm partial to Winston. Reflect? Can't reflect a tazer you worthless weeaboo ninjaman.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boogle posted:

I'm partial to Winston. Reflect? Can't reflect a tazer you worthless weeaboo ninjaman.

I've found it surprisingly easy to melee down bad Genji's. A good Genji will r un away or hit you back, but a bad one will keep trying to ninja star you. Just melee attack a few times and they are near death and its funny.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Boogle posted:

I concur. Rolled w/ double Winston last night, the other team's genji practically melted at the sight of us.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Mierenneuker posted:

It almost seems like they added some new music to the game or maybe it just cycles quicker? It did lead to a play of the game match where it used the "payload is nearly there" music and kept playing it until the medals slided away.

I had that music start for no reason yesterday in the middle of a round

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Why is it called play of the match now? It doesn't flow as well.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Works more often than one would think. I wouldn't try and pull that sort of thing on an initial rush, but if my team secures the point or is at least actively fighting over it then a turret does a good job of cementing a hold on the area. I view it is the median between TF2's Gunslinger and Vanilla Engi. Should it be used for every map in most situations? Certainly not, but people seem ready to condemn it in any situation that isn't ol' fashioned point defense.

I've had about 50/50 shots of if going one way or the other. You really need a team to keep opposing guys from shooting you up long enough to establish yourself. It's certainly not an every match thing like 76 or most of the cast.

Is it good now, or is it still 'not ideal'. Maybe your team doesn't want to win 50% of their games or have to babysit your turret.

If it's fun for you then great.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A builder on KotH is basically gambling on whether or not your team can take the point first so you can set up, and it's a gamble you're more likely to lose because one member of your team (you) isn't well-suited to help capture it.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Winston is the hardest counter to Genji.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Why is it called play of the match now? It doesn't flow as well.

Because it spans all the rounds and before PotG would basically be covering one "round". Still PotG in quick match I think.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

If you want to run a turret class on KOTH, Bastion is a better choice because if he sets up he counters one of the strongest strategies, Double Monkey. But it's still a "win the first teamfight and win the game, otherwise lose" strategy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

I concur. Rolled w/ double Winston last night, the other team's genji practically melted at the sight of us.

*high fives*

I even got PotM as Winny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

What is the proper relative scope sensitivity for widowmaker in order to have the same sensitivity scoped and unscoped? Not even interested in playing her, more to practice flick shotting in general.

It depends on your fov but I think around 30 is what you need