Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Dave posted:

I identify with a 30 year old SpiderMan who is annoyed that stopping a robbery gets between him and purchasing seltzer.

May I point you towards The Amazing Spider-Man directed by Marc Webb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I saw a webcomic where the artist depicted what it'd be like if Spider-Man shot spiders out of his hands and I gotta tell you, for a lot of people that'd be loving terrifying

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Neo Rasa posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of the first Sin City movie but I'm watched the 2014 one on Netflix and holy poo poo this is crap and looks cheap as hell. I know basically every shot in the movie is a special effects shot because of how they make the look but almost every time anything more complicated than "two people talk to each other" happens it straight up looks unfinished, like unbelievably bad. It really stands out because there are a few moments that look great. Christopher Lloyd's scene is awesome thanks to him. :) Mickey Rourke's makeup looks really weird, I think because everything is a little brighter this time around. It looks obvious and trying too hard compared to the silhouette and look he has in Sin City 1. Obviously that was eleven years ago but I think that's more on the makeup and the movie's look than on him aging.

There's a moment that reminded me of the many "Fred Williamson is too old to do action movies now" moments of the 80s towards the end though when Mickey Rourke/Marv and Jessica Alba/Nancy are confronted by some by a trio of bikers. These guys are armed to the teeth, their leader holding one of those badass combat shotguns they use in movies a lot in each hand, and they make it clear that if Marv doesn't let them pass then Marv will die. But fortunately because they didn't have the budget or the stunt people or whatever Rourke is able to diffuse the situation by calmly walking all the way up to the lead guy and taking both of his guns away and shooting all three of them because they all just stand there motionless for the minute it takes him to do this. How polite! :)

Were small segments of this ghost directed or overseen by someone other than Frank Miller? There's a brief point where Senator Roark's magician/gambler exiled son is getting abducted and beaten, as he describes how lovely this is we see his body flatten and transition into the gleam off the fender of the car he's being driven away in. For this brief bit like Christopher Lloyd's scene everything comes together and the movie is cool and fun.

I will say one thing, besides Jamie King none of the characters with more than half a line turn in a mega awful performance like Michael Madsen in Sin City 1. Everyone's in real peak scenery chewing form, but Frank Miller is just terrible enough a scriptwriter that they the cast can't carry it.

I'm not entirely sure how you manage to write a review of Sin City 2 and not bring up even once how absolutely amazing Eva Green is in it, but here it is, I guess. Any scene without her is just garbage.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Retardog posted:

I saw a webcomic where the artist depicted what it'd be like if Spider-Man shot spiders out of his hands and I gotta tell you, for a lot of people that'd be loving terrifying

nope, i don't care how not arachnophobic you are if you get shot with a spray of spiders you are gonna poo poo yourself in terror.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Potato posted:

I'm not entirely sure how you manage to write a review of Sin City 2 and not bring up even once how absolutely amazing Eva Green is in it, but here it is, I guess. Any scene without her is just garbage.

Pretty much. RIP Penny Dreadful.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Sir Potato posted:

A couple nights ago I thought no matter how it was, I would have a great time watching it. Nope, utterly confounding film of bad acting and worse green screen severely highlighted by the 3D I was viewing it in. I mean, running in place? Holy moly. Eva was the only interesting and not-dire thing happening, truly.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There is a direct correlation to how good Eva Green is in something to how explicit her sex scenes are.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

In a still it does look awful, but after watching a best of Spider-man in Civil War montage right now on youtube, the suit really sells itself in movement. Its a blur of neon blue and red, the patches and squares combining to give him almost an alien, metallic look. I love the ASM2 as much as anybody, but I don't think it was too much of a dissapointment. I also think its not a good idea to judge a costume for a prospective movie in stills.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, despite loving ASM 1 (and the costume in ASM 2 is perfect) - the new Spidey, in motion was great and even some lines were pretty funny. They absolutely nailed his movements in Civil War.

Now, can Jon Watts capture the same sorta energy? I have no idea.

Cop Car was cool but we'll see how he translates to this.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There is a direct correlation to how good Eva Green is in something to how explicit her sex scenes are.

Was Kingdom of Heaven (DC) that tame?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir Potato posted:

Almost every scene with her is garbage also because they rewrote her character a bit to not make any sense from what was already one of the dumber Sin City stories so that's saying a lot. Eva Green is a great actress and a beautiful person so I hope my completely forgetting to mention this helps illustrate just what a poo poo pile this movie is.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Pacific Rim 2 will be released in February 23, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So this is obviously about the comic but I got Watchmen and am reading it now. I got it on the strength of the recommendations in here about how it's morally ambiguous, complex and the earlier post explaining how it examines different ethical positions and which character you side with says a lot about you. That's fascinating and is what prompted me to buy it first thing when I got money.

But...well, let's just say that, going into Chapter 2, Alan Moore must be the best writer ever if he can salvage Rorschach. Right now he's about as likable as some dirt between your toes. Right-wing jingoistic homophobes (who smell bad) are not characters most people would side with and if Moore can really end up making his brand of insane morality tenable, I will be incredibly impressed.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

you passed the test

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

NikkolasKing posted:

But...well, let's just say that, going into Chapter 2, Alan Moore must be the best writer ever if he can salvage Rorschach. Right now he's about as likable as some dirt between your toes. Right-wing jingoistic homophobes (who smell bad) are not characters most people would side with and if Moore can really end up making his brand of insane morality tenable, I will be incredibly impressed.
What he thinks is vile, but once you see the things he does in later chapters, you will gain a little respect for him.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
What he does is pretty much also vile.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NikkolasKing posted:

So this is obviously about the comic but I got Watchmen and am reading it now. I got it on the strength of the recommendations in here about how it's morally ambiguous, complex and the earlier post explaining how it examines different ethical positions and which character you side with says a lot about you. That's fascinating and is what prompted me to buy it first thing when I got money.

You're not supposed to like Rorschach.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The last panel with Rorschach makes me like him a little, although it's probably not meant to.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I liked Rorschach a lot. He was victim to his negative qualities as any person was a consequence of that world but he never seemed to accept or find complacency in his circumstance. Instead, he was the lone person so driven as to hunt down the thing that was killing them, a literal death but to him also seemingly representative of all the nasty things that happened to and turned the heroes into what they were.

It's been years since I read it, and I compulsively advocate for the devil, but he seemed, ultimately, to be the person seeking redemption while most everyone else scratched their heads.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

NikkolasKing posted:

Beaten, but yeah you're not supposed to like Rorschach, even though he's the super cool looking edgy dude. Later, yeah, you sort of learn why he is the way he is. You're not really supposed to like any of the protagonists since they're all portrayed as deeply flawed , broken people who embody different ideas about the nature of heroism, humanity, Vigilantism, weakness and what the right way to use power in varying degrees.

Questioning who's right, who's wrong and the ways they use their powers is pretty central to the point.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

You're not supposed to like Rorschach.
Rorscach helps put other superheroes into perspective. Everyone he assaults is a bad guy in some way. He doesn't victimize "innocents". So how different is he from other superheroes like Batman or Captain America? He's a slob and he has extreme political views. He doesn't wear bright clean clothes, live in a fancy home with a cool lair, or do anything to present himself in a good light. Moore primes us to hate him. This is something we see in Batman fiction. Batman can appear unlikable or likable while doing the same thing, depending on what cues the writer and artist give us.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I can't think of anything that makes Rorshach homophobic, refresh my memory on that?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I can't think of anything that makes Rorshach homophobic, refresh my memory on that?

I think he noted that Ozy was a possible homosexual and to check it out later.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's also some subtext that implies Rorschach himself is gay.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rorschach: "Meeting with Veidt left bad taste in mouth. He's pampered and decadent, betraying even his own shallow, liberal affectations. Possible homosexual?"

He doesn't say "gay people suck" but since he seems to associate it with things he hates, the implication seems strong enough to me.

Anyway, I'm done with Chapter 3, taking it nice and slow because, I mean, it's only 12 chapters I think. I could finish it in one sitting. I actually like Rorschach more after his meeting with the old man, "Moloch." Given his attitude in Chapter 1, I expected him to kill the old guy or take his pills, saying something like "you can never reform" or "they're illegal, period."

In any event, my favorite characters right now are Doc Manhattan and Laurie .They feel to me like the most human and the most inhuman characters in the story and thus it's small wonder Moore paired them together. Of course, Jon isn't as inhuman as he seems - or maybe he is. I'm not sure. Either way, Chapter 3 was my favorite one so far by a considerable margin. Hardly had any Rorschach in it. Coincidence?

Although, in addition to whatever cool things he does later, I guess we also have a sad backstory to explain how Rorschach ended up this way. That could go a long way to making me like him more. Bu tas for making his views or ideas something I could agree with? That's still a stretch at this point.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 2, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's the world's greatest detective, but what he is is extremely terrified of sexuality. Permavirg Rorschach doesn't seem to be particularly homophobic, unlike Blake who is pointedly so.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

He's the world's greatest detective, but what he is is extremely terrified of sexuality. Permavirg Rorschach doesn't seem to be particularly homophobic, unlike Blake who is pointedly so.

I think it's a little more than just him being afraid of sexuality. One quote from the comics that stuck with me was from when he took the dress home from work that would later become his mask: "When I had cut it enough, it didn't look like a woman anymore." You usually see people with backstories like Rorschach's as the serial killer character in horror movies, but somehow he became a superhero in Watchmen.

Kurzon posted:

Rorscach helps put other superheroes into perspective. Everyone he assaults is a bad guy in some way. He doesn't victimize "innocents".

I don't know about that. The patrons of those seedy bars he frequents for information might be guilty in a general sense of the word but I would still consider them innocent enough that breaking their fingers on a hunch seems bad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

He's the world's greatest detective, but what he is is extremely terrified of sexuality.

Oh poo poo, he is Batman.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

He's the world's greatest detective

Rorschach is a pretty lovely detective. If the thugs in the local bar can't give him any information he's stumped.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Rorschach is a pretty lovely detective. If the thugs in the local bar can't give him any information he's stumped.

Not true, he did not have to break a single finger to figure out that Blake was the Comedian. Finding that button in the wardrobe was, like, hardcore detecting. From then on he has the whole thing figured out, like Batman.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
He also threw Captain Masochist (or whatever) down an elevator shaft. That's not good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

Well Batman is also The World's Greatest Detective and also not a very good detective.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If you want to see a new Ghost Rider movie, you might have to wait a while. The Dodge Viper GR, Robbie Reyes, is apparently being cast for Agents of Shield.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Well Batman is also The World's Greatest Detective and also not a very good detective.

photoshopped, but gently caress it that is my Batman

Ninja-edit: haha

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

He's always been a man of mysterious methods:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'd like to see Batman asking someone for directions.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Martman posted:

I'd like to see Batman asking someone for directions.

Does anyone in this topic have Pete Holmes' phone number? This is perfect for him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Why is this so dumb? Police solicit information from the public all the time with wanted posters and messages on radio, TV and the Web. The Joker dresses very conspicuously, so somebody has probably seen him. And the Joker has zero friends and usually kills everyone who gets close to him, so why wouldn't they give him a few tips?

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 3, 2016

• Locked thread