Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

checkplease posted:

Is eldrazi temple and such usable for the emerge cost on the eldrazi octopus?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

checkplease posted:

Is eldrazi temple and such usable for the emerge cost on the eldrazi octopus?

Yes, it's an alternate cost but it's still a cost, so you are in fact casting an Eldrazi spell.

What doesn't work with Eldrazi Temple are abilities on Eldrazi cards that aren't costs and don't work while on the battlefield.

e.g. The one that was actually relevent in Modern recently was the on-cast ability of Eldrazi Obligator. It can't be paid for with Eldrazi Temple mana, because it's not a casting cost of a spell, and while Eldrazi Obligator is colorless, and is an Eldrazi spell, it doesn't actually count as "an Eldrazi" until it's a creature on the battlefield. Because there's a difference between "an Eldrazi" and "an Eldrazi card", the former meaning a permanent with the Eldrazi subtype. It seems like it really shouldn't work that way but it does.

comp rules posted:

109.2. If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes a card type or subtype, but doesn’t include the word “card,” “spell,” “source,” or “scheme,” it means a permanent of that card type or subtype on the battlefield.

It's the same reason why you can't target an Enchantment spell on the stack with Erase.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 30, 2016

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Come on Wizards, this set would be perfect for a functional reprint of Xathrid Necromancer. While we are about it, make a new Young Pyromancer as well. He could make Devil tokens or something.

Actually, when I think about it, token effects are really common this block.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
All DFCs are Eldrazi, except Ulrich.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The next block should be set entirely on Shandalar. But I think the reason one hasn't been is because it sounds too close to Zendikar.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

that's really stupid

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Lsv named his newborn daughter Naya.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/lsv/status/748318410430287872

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm really hoping that when Elesh Norn comes around she creates a Phyrexian named Naya just to complete the circle of puns.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Naya is a real name, jsyk

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Congratulations to LSV's second kid, Grixis Scott Vargas Sarcedo

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

that's really stupid

So basically, all the DFCs are Eldrazi.

Boooo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

So basically, all the DFCs are Eldrazi.

Boooo.

There's also 12 other regular Eldrazi.

Maro was full of poo poo when he said the set didn't focus on the Eldrazi.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
I look forward to Junk Scott Vargas.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

They're eldrazi in name only at least. So far they're actually pretty awesome looking monsters with some neat flavor mixed in with the horror setting of Innistrad. They could've been called anything else and people wouldn't care, they're just eldrazi to tie the sets together.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Rinkles posted:

When Haunted Dead enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying into play.

1B, discard two cards: Return Haunted Dead from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.

Zombie goasts, leave this place!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

They're eldrazi in name only at least. So far they're actually pretty awesome looking monsters with some neat flavor mixed in with the horror setting of Innistrad. They could've been called anything else and people wouldn't care, they're just eldrazi to tie the sets together.

That's actually one of the biggest disappointments, in my opinion. Eldrazi are their Eldritch horrors, yes, but their reception has always been more as alien invaders than mysterious horrors. SOI and EMN are showing they had the chops to make a brand new big bad, or at least reinvent an old one on the level of Phyrexians and Eldrazi. It will probably still be good, but it could have been so much more.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Judd Stackington posted:

I look forward to Junk Scott Vargas.

"Sultai" Scott Vargas sounds like a wrestler name

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Kids hands are already blue, she knows about value.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Schwarzwald posted:

Oh, they brought back Monstrous.

Yah, except it owns this time

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I meant Modern Eldrazi.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

this is the face of a baby who was born knowing they were gonna get named after a card game

EDIT: actually after a bit of thought I agree with LSV's naming choice, the resemblance is uncanny

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 30, 2016

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This kid needs more names. Four isn't enough.

What's with all the magic players with hyphenated last names? Pick a side, man.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

vandalism posted:

This kid needs more names. Four isn't enough.

What's with all the magic players with hyphenated last names? Pick a side, man.

There's no hyphen in her name, Scott Vargas are her middle names.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm the girl
The girl who has everything

Look at this tomb, corpses untold
(How many voices can one Veiled head hold?)
Looking around here you'd think
Gods, she's raised everything

I've got zombies and sibsig a-plenty
I've got ghouls, skaab, and Anglers galore
You want Zombie Cats? I've got twenty!
But who cares? No big deal,
I want more

/

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Very well done.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I think he meant mechanically. Flavorfully, this set is all Eldrazi all the time. I think its interesting that Emrakul gets mechanics of her own, similar to Ulamogs Ingest/Processing and Kozileks colorless mana. DFCs are a great way to show Emrakul's influence while also letting them have lots of "colorless" creatures that actually require colored mana, without having to use Devoid two blocks in a row.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Emrakul owns. EDM owns.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Someone give me a pauper high tide list. We're doing another pauper league here except the owners are going by paper legality, but using the modo banlist. I need to prove a point, high tide seems the easiest way.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Someone give me a pauper high tide list. We're doing another pauper league here except the owners are going by paper legality, but using the modo banlist. I need to prove a point, high tide seems the easiest way.

Jesus gently caress, seriously? Hold on, let me tweak my Mono Blue Flicker list: http://pastebin.com/sb0jR5qt

The real weakness of this deck is that it literally cannot combo before turn 5, due to having no acceleration and Drake costing 5 mana. High Tide makes that turn 4, which is a hell of a lot scarier, and you don't even need to get the full combo at the start since High Tides into Drakes makes a lot of mana very quickly. Merchant Scroll is incredible at allowing you to cut down on Flickers while having a tutor for it, High Tide, Snap or Gigadrowse. The kill is looping Flicker on Drake+Mancer for lots of mana, loop Flicker on Mancer+Oracle/Mulldrifter to draw the deck, getting a second Mancer, then looping Flicker on two Mancers to repeatedly Compulsive Research them after tapping them out with Gigadrowse (and moving to second main phase if needed). If you play enough High Tides, Snap on Mancer (getting back Snap) also makes a lot of mana, but you'd need to play three High Tides which actually isn't that tough given Mancer can get one back.

Hymn and Sinkhole kind of don't matter since all the 2-for-1 creatures makes the MBC matchup trivial. You're really only worried about Mono-Red Goblins or Red Deck Wins with Goblin Grenade just killing you turn 4 on the play. Gigadrowse will win the Teachings and other control matchups if they don't get a very fast clock with Angler or something, since you can just make land drops, cantrip a bunch to sculpt the perfect hand, Gigadrowse them out, and proceed to combo.

Anyway if this works, tell them to ban Sinkhole, Hymn to Tourach, Goblin Grenade, High Tide and Merchant Scroll. They can also go ahead and ban Drake, and they may want to ban Delver and Ghostly Flicker while they're at it because those two cards are way above the power level of other commons. Paper Pauper gets Guerrilla Tactics which shouldn't be banned because it's a sweet sideboard card for Goblins or Burn, and a whole bunch of cards that are way less powerful than High Tide.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
There's no way new Thalia stays at $30, right? She's a rare, not a mythic.

I really want her for my UW Humans deck, but, uh, she ain't Avacyn.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
They wouldn't listen to me last time they had a league but I just played UB teachings with some hymns and 11-0 was my final records. Most people that will do the league aren't too serious about pauper but still got frustrated when I ran them over. Now someone on fb is telling me I underestimate the power of MBC when I said at least high tide and goblin grenade are too good. Gotta prove a point now that someone has called me out. I figured I'd port over some high tide decks I found and replace cloud of fairies with drake like you mentioned.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Soul Glo posted:

Probably not, but don't expect her to ever get truly cheap because she's probably Modern playable.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Soul Glo posted:

How is she 30?

SCG has her at 8.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

$30? Starcity has her preordering at $7.99. She'll be $3-$10 depending on how good she is in Standard, probably closer to $3.

They wouldn't listen to me last time they had a league but I just played UB teachings with some hymns and 11-0 was my final records. Most people that will do the league aren't too serious about pauper but still got frustrated when I ran them over. Now someone on fb is telling me I underestimate the power of MBC when I said at least high tide and goblin grenade are too good. Gotta prove a point now that someone has called me out. I figured I'd port over some high tide decks I found and replace cloud of fairies with drake like you mentioned.

MBC against any of the Drake decks is incredibly lopsided towards the Drake side. The Drake decks are playing a bunch of cantrips to find lands and the right cards, they naturally play a lot of 2 for 1 creatures, MBC's clock is very slow, and every additional turn that MBC gives up is another turn where the Drake deck can just draw more Mulldrifters. If a creature ever goes unanswered, the Drake deck can play a creature and hold up Flicker, which is basically game if it ever goes off. MBC is basically unplayable right now because it just gets too badly mauled by the Drake decks - if it could upgrade Wrench Mind to Hymn, maybe it'd have a shot, but not if the Drake decks get to upgrade with Merchant Scroll and High Tide.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

How is she 30?

SCG has her at 8.

Ahhh ok, that's way better. I was on Amazon already and just punched her in, wondering what sellers had her at on there.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Soul Glo posted:

Ahhh ok, that's way better. I was on Amazon already and just punched her in, wondering what sellers had her at on there.

Weren't you the one who thought foil Hypersonic Dragons were like $30 too?

Don't buy cards on Amazon.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

Weren't you the one who thought foil Hypersonic Dragons were like $30 too?

Don't buy cards on Amazon.

Yeah.

I cast that Hypersonic Dragon just last weekend! I lost. :v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

$30? Starcity has her preordering at $7.99. She'll be $3-$10 depending on how good she is in Standard, probably closer to $3.

MBC against any of the Drake decks is incredibly lopsided towards the Drake side. The Drake decks are playing a bunch of cantrips to find lands and the right cards, they naturally play a lot of 2 for 1 creatures, MBC's clock is very slow, and every additional turn that MBC gives up is another turn where the Drake deck can just draw more Mulldrifters. If a creature ever goes unanswered, the Drake deck can play a creature and hold up Flicker, which is basically game if it ever goes off. MBC is basically unplayable right now because it just gets too badly mauled by the Drake decks - if it could upgrade Wrench Mind to Hymn, maybe it'd have a shot, but not if the Drake decks get to upgrade with Merchant Scroll and High Tide.

Preaching to the choir about the Drake decks. I never held any love for MBC but I haaated CoF and now I hate the Drake. I'll hate myself while playing this deck but I'd like it if they were a little more on point about their rules. I encouraged the start of pauper stuff at the store and I'm encouraging them to go by some rules I've seen other stores use. I was actually eyeballing this list from a card kingdom tournament a while back, but replace CoF with drake:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/high-tide-charles-wong-2nd-place/

I guess with merchant scroll these guys found the mulldrifter/sea gate plan unnecessary. The 4th place list was similar. Don't know about 16 land though.

• Locked thread