Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

RIP MTS. RIP my bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

acumen posted:

Most of the police C8s are semi-auto only and the automatic function on even the military versions, by the military, are rarely if ever used. Anyone who's actually fired one could tell you that automatic fire is the most irresponsible and pointless waste of ammunition while also eliminating your capability of hitting what you're shooting at.

I'm not a gun person so forgive my ignorance but I thought that part of the definition of an "assault rifle" was that the user can select between automatic or semi-automatic fire (somebody please correct me if I got that wrong). If these weapons can't switch to full auto then the media shouldn't be referring to them as "assault rifles", right? Though I guess it's my fault for taking a CBC reporter's description of a gun at face value.

quote:

C8s have the advantage of being far more accurate than any handgun and are probably the best thing to use if you were going to actually need to shoot someone while minimizing collateral damage. I can't speak for municipal cops but they're almost never used in our region outside of dispatching injured deer or by tac teams. They're completely unnecessary for 99.9% of the job though and I guess it was justified in a "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" sort of way, especially since we only have about one officer per 300 km².

I understand the logic of equipping officers who might be 30 minutes or more away from the closest backup with weapons like this but I don't understand why front-line officers in the Toronto Police Service need these kinds of weapons. Even if there are hypothetical scenarios where they could be useful that has to be weighed against the fact we're stuck in this trend of arming police officers with weapons and equipment designed for infantry soldiers.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
There isn't anything legally wrong with the deal so of course it was going to get court approval. The deal still have to pass by the Minister for innovation and economic development(lol), the CTRC and the competition Bureau.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
wrong thread

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Ikantski posted:

The gently caress kind of handshakery is this.

That's not how you perform a circle jerk.

DariusLikewise posted:

There isn't anything legally wrong with the deal so of course it was going to get court approval. The deal still have to pass by the Minister for innovation and economic development(lol), the CTRC and the competition Bureau.

In any sane country, this deal wouldn't get past the competition bureau, but lol telecomms are loving bulletproof in Canada.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

tekz posted:

wrong thread

Also just wrong period.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

I'm not a gun person so forgive my ignorance but I thought that part of the definition of an "assault rifle" was that the user can select between automatic or semi-automatic fire (somebody please correct me if I got that wrong). If these weapons can't switch to full auto then the media shouldn't be referring to them as "assault rifles", right? Though I guess it's my fault for taking a CBC reporter's description of a gun at face value.

Media + Guns: Anything black is an assault rifle or assault weapon. Most other guns are high powered rifles. A few boxes of .22 shells are Thousands of Rounds of Ammunition. 3 guns or more is a weapons cache or arsenal. Handguns are still handguns.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Ikantski posted:

Media + Guns: Anything black is an assault rifle or assault weapon. Most other guns are high powered rifles. A few boxes of .22 shells are Thousands of Rounds of Ammunition. 3 guns or more is a weapons cache or arsenal. Handguns are still handguns.

Even when you're mostly right, you still remind me how lovely rural Ontario 'culture' is, and for that I am eternally grateful.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Helsing posted:

I understand the logic of equipping officers who might be 30 minutes or more away from the closest backup with weapons like this but I don't understand why front-line officers in the Toronto Police Service need these kinds of weapons. Even if there are hypothetical scenarios where they could be useful that has to be weighed against the fact we're stuck in this trend of arming police officers with weapons and equipment designed for infantry soldiers.

The textbook wikipedia definition for an "assault rifle" requires some sort of selective fire (so burst, auto, semi-auto, whatever). Seems to be a pretty nebulous term in use though and a lot of gun nut pedants will argue this whenever the media is bashing on ARs. Like I mentioned before, anyone could tell you that they're much more effective when fired in semi-auto in practically every situation that the police or military would encounter, so the argument is moot. The only situation where automatic fire might be more catastrophic is in situations like the Orlando shooting where you have a ton of people packed into a small area and the shooter wants to kill all of them (which is not something our police/military are supposed to want to do). The fact that they're generally more deadly on semi-auto than auto is something the media doesn't really convey, but doesn't diminish the fact that they need to be controlled just the same.

Like I said I can't really speak for urban officers since I deal with primarily rural ones. But consider that they're (at least supposed to be) more concerned with minimizing damage to the public due to a denser population. Hypothetically if they actually need to shoot a firearm at any range farther than 3-5m their accuracy with a handgun is drastically lower while even an average-trained C8 operator could reliably hit anything up to 50-100m from a standing position.

This is ignoring what got them into the situation in the first place though which is probably where the focus should be.

edit: second point - this infantry weapon is widely used due to its versatility, reliability, and accuracy as mentioned above. I don't think every front-line officer in a large municipal police force should have one, but they have their uses. Armoured vehicles are just plain stupid though.

acumen fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 29, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The surest way of finding the gun nut in any group is to slightly misclassify some sort of weapon, specially if the conversation is anything to do with gun laws or dangers guns present. They will quickly make themselves known

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
you guys are intentionally steering the thread back into gun-chat?

bold.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The solution to gun ownership issues and regulations in Canada is to give everyone a gun :freep:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

dudeplomacy

e: and then chants of "Four more years" as he finishes his speech. Christ.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 29, 2016

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm stuck in a bus for God knows how long because of a surprise new roadway shutdown. I guess the President's motorcade is going to use a road next to or overpass in my bus route.

Pray for me, canpol goons

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pixelante posted:

If you watch Flashpoint, you'd think Toronto has a bomb threat every other week.

If you watch that show you'd also assume there is an elite squad of cops that is specially trained to have the incredible super power of empathy

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
A semi auto AR-15 is a perfectly normal rifle the reason why I don't want cops to have them is because their job is to protect citizens, quite often from themselves, and they already seem to think that the best way to do that is to shoot at them.

They should only be allowed to carry a single bullet in their pocket in case of an emergency.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
40 minutes later and I'm still exactly where I was.

I'd make a "thanks Obama" joke but it's both tacky and done.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

40 minutes later and I'm still exactly where I was.

I'd make a "thanks Obama" joke but it's both tacky and done.

Call the religious freedoms hotline

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I was thinking the "barbaric cultural practices" tipline instead

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Because it literally just circles the city at night broadcasting conversations about blowjobs? For 400 thousand dollars?

They're incredibly useful machines for police.

You dont want to start a car chase that puts civilian lives at risk? You let the chopper follow them. You want to find someone hiding in a field or vegetation? FLIR's got it.

Police get far more bang for the buck out of a chopper than those stupid tactical vehicles.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I was thinking the "barbaric cultural practices" tipline instead

Call Trump

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

EvilJoven posted:

A semi auto AR-15 is a perfectly normal rifle the reason why I don't want cops to have them is because their job is to protect citizens, quite often from themselves, and they already seem to think that the best way to do that is to shoot at them.

They should only be allowed to carry a single bullet in their pocket in case of an emergency.

I had a frustrating 45 minute conversation with a Calgary cop at my wife's friends wedding.

You guys just don't know what it's like to be on the streets you could get shot at anytime! You need those weapons to do your job!

Also some guy just might be shooting up a place and regular rear end cop showing up with a carbine is going to save the day.

The proto military mentality is institutionalized at this point so basically do what ever the gently caress they say and whine about it later otherwise you have the potential of being in a body bag.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Helsing posted:

That's mostly correct, and it's probably the most important thing to know because missing that will cause some people on Facebook and in comment sections to ignore you and go into pedantic tirades about gun taxonomy.

Gun sperg stuff incoming. Skip it if you don't care.

There are three distinguishing characteristics of an assault rifle:

1. Selective fire capability: the ability to switch between semi-automatic and fully automatic fire.
2. A detachable magazine - for practical reasons, always a high-capacity magazine (20 rounds+).
3. Intermediate-power cartridges. These are so named because they are more powerful than pistol rounds (the most prominent of which are the 9mm Parabellum and .45 ACP), but less powerful than full-sized rifle cartridges (originally replacing the German 7.92x57mm IS, the Russian 7.62x54mm and the NATO 7.62x51mm). These were actually the critical innovation of an assault rifle, because they gave more power, range, penetration ability and accuracy than pistol rounds, but were lighter, more compact and easier to handle than full-powered rifle bullets; this allowed for larger magazines, greater carrying capacity, and much better performance in automatic fire on a light weapon due to far reduced recoil. The sacrifice is that you can no longer engage out past 400 yards, which was OK because by the end of the Second World War they had realized that almost no foot soldier ever does.

An assault rifle that lacks selective fire capacity but still has semi-automatic fire capacities is typically called an assault weapon, and it's these that the majority of legislative attention is given to because they are very effective in spree killings. (One could argue that, unless backed up by a military logistics organization, semi-automatic fire is actually more dangerous in a mass killing because the majority of bullets fired on automatic would probably be wasted.) Proponents like to call them modern sporting rifles. I guess you could make a manually repeating gun in an intermediate calibre with a detachable magazine, but nobody cares about those.

An assault rifle without a detachable magazine would have to be belt fed and so would qualify as a light machine gun.

An assault rifle that fires pistol cartridges would be called a machine pistol, like a sten gun or Thompson. An assault rifle that fires full-power cartridges would be called a batte rifle, like an FN FAL or M14; these are largely deprecated because they had smaller magazines and proved to be brutally difficult to aim and control in full-automatic. There's been a recent trend towards a sort of light assault rifle firing a special sort of intermediate cartridge that's very small calibre but still fires at full rifle velocities; weapons so equipped are called "personal defence weapons" but nobody really talks about these because they're uncommon, hideously expensive, not generally manufactured in civilian-legal variants, and really only have a usage case in the military.

In my opinion, there's really a fourth category, that's not part of the official description, that's implicit in the discussion of assault weapons today: that's ergonomics. Your traditional hunting rifle or shotgun will course tend to have a full-sized buttstock, designed for a shoulder firing position, to allow for maximum accuracy and absorption of recoil, but the modern "assault weapon" will often have things like pistol grips, helper handles, foldable or collapsing stocks and, where legal, short barrels. These are essentially totally usless when hunting but allow the gun to become very effective and easy to use at close ranges, which compounds the danger in spree killings. That's why something like a Ruger Mini-14 isn't typically called an assault weapon; it doesn't look like one and isn't marketed as one.

The American assault weapons ban targeted semi-automatic weapons that were equipped with detachable magazines and at least two other proscribed components. Some of those made sense. Extended magazines on pistols, for obvious reason. Pistol grips and collapsing/telescoping stocks, because they made them handier at close ranges. Some of them didn't: flash supressors don't really do much; grenade launcher mounting points, while utterly pointless on a civilian weapon, are unlikely to be used in the commission of a crime; and bayonet lugs - well, when was the last time you heard of a gangland slaying ending with a bayonet charge?

Upthread, I was suggesting that the combination of intermediate-power cartridges, semi-automatic fire and detachable magazines ought to be restricted because it is these that lead to the rifles that are most dangerous to people. The statistics show, though, that the majority of homicides are done with handguns or garden-variety rifles.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 30, 2016

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

El Scotch posted:

You want to find someone hiding in a field or vegetation? FLIR's got it.

Apparently dense forests of marijuana plants can completely block infrared. We know this because the Taliban figured out they could retreat into marijuana fields and not get popped by an Apache or C-130 spectre.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
did you pee your tactical pants

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ductonius posted:

Apparently dense forests of marijuana plants can completely block infrared. We know this because the Taliban figured out they could retreat into marijuana fields and not get popped by an Apache or C-130 spectre.

Isn't it more they put off so much heat that it overrides detecting anything smaller, e.g. a person?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

CLAM DOWN posted:

Black is the most dominant colour

I bought a truck recently because I moved to the middle of nowhere / The North. I bought the truck in the coastal city I was living in before I moved, where no one actually needs a truck. As a result, most trucks are macho status symbols and finding one that wasn't black was a loving chore.

I eventually found a pretty red one but that was after looking at 4 black ones.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

There is literally not a single goddamn reason for Constable joe blow of the TPS to have C8s loving hell

Not one. There is not a reason for a beat cop to pack like its Benghazi.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Scaramouche posted:

Isn't it more they put off so much heat that it overrides detecting anything smaller, e.g. a person?

Could be, but I have a hard time imagining an entire field getting uniformly 38C. Then again, I am neither an Afghani farmer nor a FLIR operator. :shrug:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Regular IR nightvision just makes everything bright and green so looking for a farmer in a giant weed field is slightly more difficult than during the day.

Thermal nightvision has much higher contrast making animals/humans more obvious even under light foliage. Also a lot more expensive.

acumen fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 30, 2016

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

El Scotch posted:

They're incredibly useful machines for police.

You dont want to start a car chase that puts civilian lives at risk? You let the chopper follow them. You want to find someone hiding in a field or vegetation? FLIR's got it.

Police get far more bang for the buck out of a chopper than those stupid tactical vehicles.

Wouldn't a drone be able to do all of that for a fraction of the cost?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/BBCBusiness/status/748355849937108992

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

New Coke posted:

Wouldn't a drone be able to do all of that for a fraction of the cost?

Actually... yes, now that you mention it. I'm not sure if the regulations involved in flying drones in controlled airspace would complicate things, though (or even if that's possible). You'd also need a decently sized drone to be able to go fast enough to, for example, follow a fleeing car, not to mention carrying the payload of expensive thermal imaging cameras or whatever.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Thanks Tumblr!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

There is literally not a single goddamn reason for Constable joe blow of the TPS to have C8s loving hell

Not one. There is not a reason for a beat cop to pack like its Benghazi.

I remember during the aftermath of the Moncton shootings there was a lot do cries about how the police didn't have enough firepower and this horrible tragedy wouldn't have happened if our boys in blue just had assault rifles and tanks and who knows what the gently caress else

Cops are garbage and policing is a career that attracts just about the worst kind of people to a profession where you get to walk around with a gun for a living

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pixelante posted:

Thanks Tumblr!

I want these except only if Pux evolves from Puk which is just a single puck.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Loonie evolves into toonie. Which is a bear???

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

PT6A posted:

^^^ It's black with some kind of a crest on it... exactly like a police car! I think you're really reaching here.

That's a bit of a non-sequitur, don't you think?

Do you think they're going to fly drunk First Nations people and abandon them in remote areas? The sheer logistics involved would be ridiculous for something that can so easily be done with a car.

It doesn't need to be flying all the time, you know.

It literally just flys in circles over the North End every night, I can see it from where I live. I can take a video if you'd like.

The only reason for it's existance is to strike fear into natives and to make the suburbanites feel safe and feel like they are doing something to "solve crime"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
There's been 2 high speed chases in Winnipeg in the last month or so. In the first one the driver disappeared for half an hour because he was on a highway? The other ended quickly as it was on Portage and busy as gently caress so gently caress yeah go police chopper :shrug:

For the price of the WPS tank and helicopter we could of had a body camera program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Weed conference incoming at 1030.

Decrim for now? Extensive sales plan for legalization? Whole thing scrapped? We need committes for 10 more years?