Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

John Denver Hoxha posted:

I think if they can make it work (and I mean it would basically be the same concept as a miniaturized printer head so it's not like a totally insane premise) that RGB pen would be a neat toy, a bit expensive, but really cool

How printer heads do their thing would not work at all in a pen form, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

senrath posted:

How printer heads do their thing would not work at all in a pen form, though.

I'm not saying that the pen would physically be a printer head, just that the idea of a computerized device controlling multiple colors of ink flow on the fly is not something that is outside of the realm of possibility or necessarily prohibitively expensive (well for a pen, a little bit silly but it's just a cool design concept)

I'm thinking 4 nozzles feed into a small manifold/reservoir above the ball, whatever controller you have throttles the nozzles based on the color mix, and once you change color you'd just have to draw some squigglies on another piece of paper to swap out colors.

I sort of want to try to make one now...

John Denver Hoxha has a new favorite as of 01:43 on Jun 30, 2016

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Noyemi K posted:

I am the correct shade of brown for that, but my hair is loving everywhere and refuses to be tamed by these implements known as "brushes", "combs", and "dryers". It's like a dark brown firework display of tightly curled tresses and my head is the origin point of the explosion.

On loving topic, I'm suddenly seeing this overpriced piece of nonexistent poo poo everywhere that doubtless is not miraculous as described. Any pen experts got any funny conjecture on how this is either possible but hopelessly worthless in execution, or impossible to produce as described? Yes, it's definitely possible in theory, as it can use photodiodes or some poo poo to store an RGB signal in memory and convert that to the CMYK model, but that introduces errors as one is additive and one is subtractive and signal conversion is limited by quantization step fidelity.

The way that pen works is indeed redic

if you press it against the surface like in the video, in theory much less (or no natural light) would be hitting that surface spot; Its like taking a picture with a camera with the lens cap on, it's not going to come out right. so it has to also emit natural light on the lens end, and even if it does also emit light it has to emit ITS light, meaning it will change the tint and tone of whatever color its trying to copy.

also I dont know how printers work exactly, but the idea of a free flowing pen that does the same thing seems a bit outrageous. You can only move that pen as fast as it dispenses that mixed color, and I cant see it working as fluidly as pen ink with every color a printer can make.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also, the idea of needing to match colors so perfectly just to create that line drawing garbage in the video is just laughable

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That pen will never ever come out

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Madcosby posted:

The way that pen works is indeed redic

if you press it against the surface like in the video, in theory much less (or no natural light) would be hitting that surface spot; Its like taking a picture with a camera with the lens cap on, it's not going to come out right. so it has to also emit natural light on the lens end, and even if it does also emit light it has to emit ITS light, meaning it will change the tint and tone of whatever color its trying to copy.

also I dont know how printers work exactly, but the idea of a free flowing pen that does the same thing seems a bit outrageous. You can only move that pen as fast as it dispenses that mixed color, and I cant see it working as fluidly as pen ink with every color a printer can make.

Printers move the print head mad fast, so ink not flowing fast enough isn't the issue. Just everything else about the idea is the issue

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

I'm not saying that the pen would physically be a printer head, just that the idea of a computerized device controlling multiple colors of ink flow on the fly is not something that is outside of the realm of possibility or necessarily prohibitively expensive (well for a pen, a little bit silly but it's just a cool design concept)

I'm thinking 4 nozzles feed into a small manifold/reservoir above the ball, whatever controller you have throttles the nozzles based on the color mix, and once you change color you'd just have to draw some squigglies on another piece of paper to swap out colors.

I sort of want to try to make one now...

You still require signal conversion circuitry, possibly signal time function conversion circuitry too (A/D Converter? Ink flow amount would be a continuous time function!) in order to turn an RGB triplet into a CMY/K signal, absolutely necessitating one or more microcontrollers or other complex IC and custom firmware to keep the memory footprint small, so it would be quite a bulky pen that would not fit in places that a normal pen or stylus would be convenient for.

Also you'd have the problem previously mentioned of you basically having to draw with the previous ink mix for a moment till the new one flows down to the ball.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

Noyemi K posted:

You still require signal conversion circuitry, possibly signal time function conversion circuitry too (A/D Converter? Ink flow amount would be a continuous time function!) in order to turn an RGB triplet into a CMY/K signal, absolutely necessitating one or more microcontrollers or other complex IC and custom firmware to keep the memory footprint small, so it would be quite a bulky pen that would not fit in places that a normal pen or stylus would be convenient for.

Also you'd have the problem previously mentioned of you basically having to draw with the previous ink mix for a moment till the new one flows down to the ball.

Yeah it could never practically be pen-sized, I was picturing more marker side in terms of overall device size but if you want to live with that it is a cool new design (the advertising method and execution that one you posted was ghastly as was the price,, now that I look at it, yikes).
And that was all the stuff I was handwaving away by saying theres a controller involved, I mean I think the concept is cool and I was really just sticking up for the idea that people can enjoy things and that a magic pen that can change colors would be a cool loving gadget(and everybody is not just some stupid millenial trying to 'become the best artist' by buying a new and different piece of technology), not really trying to design one until I started thinking about it a little bit more.

I don't know I still like the general concept of being able to pick up cues from colors and just draw them. I like harebrained schemes that just could work in some wonky way and if these people weren't snake oil salesmen branding a new miracle but just some crazy Arduino kids I might honestly be tempted to get one just for a new toy

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Im just curious if I visit the site tomorrow if it'll still say "1 Day Left" to Pre-Order

Im guessing, yes, yes it will

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The ink part doesn't make any sense because it can't mix that poo poo in real time and it also can't just create a reservoir of ink because there's no way of knowing how much you'll need.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

Madcosby posted:

Im just curious if I visit the site tomorrow if it'll still say "1 Day Left" to Pre-Order

It's been reading "1 Day Left" for a while, apparently

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Noyemi K posted:

Not to continue the anime derail, but as someone of underdeveloped feminine form and frequently mistaken for underage, for the love of god stop loving virtue signaling about japanese illustrations you don't like protraying people of loving youth.

It's like you're projecting your shame at liking the real thing (youthful women) and turning up the diarrhea dial to compare it to crypto-pedophilia. I'm so loving sick of this poo poo. I don't even like anime, I'm just sick of flirting with dudes and them getting scared when they find out my tits are small and I wear Juniors sizes because you keep shaming them for it.

:goonettesay:

e: Alternatively

You will find a pedophile to love you some day, too. :)

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Like that law and order episode.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ianmacdo posted:

Like that law and order episode.

That episode was the most hosed up thing. The detectives watching the guy leave, so sad and angry that they couldn't arrest the guy for dating an adult who looked young. Like, you were supposed to think, "oh no, the system failed, that woman is allowed to date and have sex ever"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I was really just sticking up for the idea that people can enjoy things
In a thread about making fun of things.

evilcat
May 16, 2009

Noyemi K posted:

I am the correct shade of brown for that, but my hair is loving everywhere and refuses to be tamed by these implements known as "brushes", "combs", and "dryers". It's like a dark brown firework display of tightly curled tresses and my head is the origin point of the explosion.

On loving topic, I'm suddenly seeing this overpriced piece of nonexistent poo poo everywhere that doubtless is not miraculous as described. Any pen experts got any funny conjecture on how this is either possible but hopelessly worthless in execution, or impossible to produce as described? Yes, it's definitely possible in theory, as it can use photodiodes or some poo poo to store an RGB signal in memory and convert that to the CMYK model, but that introduces errors as one is additive and one is subtractive and signal conversion is limited by quantization step fidelity.

The original pen has been torn to shreds a few times by various sites. It's vaporware with so many hurdles to overcome that it simply won't happen. It got booted from some crowdfunding platform for faking their video of it drawing. If you go through the old video frame by frame you can see extra hands appear for a frame or two then vanish, and blocks of text or drawings suddenly appear without the pen having actually written them. Drop Kicker covered the few takedowns it got.

In the video for this one though, a pen of the same name, it appears they have worked it into a stylus option as well, which will have the same issue with color identification. Then the device will need to transmit the color data to the drawing device so the color can be selected without having to manually pick a color. A small sensor in the pen will be less than ideal, if you need to perfectly match the color of something, a digital camera and adjusting for its known color profile will produce far better results.

On a purely idea level, mixing ink to make new colors is fine and would work. The issue is in a ballpoint pen, there needs to be a small reservoir, metering, pumps, valves, and controllers that will need to fit in the pen. There will be a substantial surplus of ink each color change, with a decent portion of likely muddy brown while the last of one color and the start of a new one is used. It would be a horrible waste of ink and a nightmare to flush a color through once you need to change. The user will be drawing on scrap paper for a long time to get the new color to come out. If you had several bottles of ink with feed tubes, small pumps and needle tips to dispense ink and used a nib type pen, you could make a very bulky machine that did color matched and drew. A nib would waste the least ink due to the small reservoir of ink they have, but it would still need a bulky ink storage and feed mechanism to the reservoir.

Then of course there is the issue of powering it: what will it do when the battery runs out when in use? Will it stop a color and run dry? Will the feed control stay in the position it is in and lock it into one color? How long will a battery last? How will a battery even fit in the limited space along with color recognition, processing, ink reservoirs, feed mechanisms, mixer section, screen to show color and all the rest? Worst case they have to make it use a laptop brick as a battery won't fit and run it for more than a few minutes.

Real edit: I believe none of their claims as to battery life in the slightest, hence the questioning. My bad for not clarifying to start with.

Or ignore the slight sperging out over a pen, it's been a scam the past few times it appeared and they changed nothing but the pitch and the look of it. Think Skarp moving from Kickstarter to IGG then to their own site, this is the equivalent of that.

evilcat has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Jun 30, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got up to where the lady started using the magic pen to draw with and my head started saying "No, no, no, no, no, no. I can't handle this sort of bullshit right now.."

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like when the color ring turns black, is it supposed to be some sort of screen instead of a simple rgb led ?

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

TetsuoTW posted:

In a thread about making fun of things.

I'm all for making fun of things that are dumb, it's just tiresome and not really saying anything to always be going "arrrr i hate those stupid loving millenials" about every drat thing and I happen to like to make fun of that (sorry if that offends you)

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Madcosby posted:

Glowforge has had their 40% off ending soon for like two years.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

it's just tiresome and not really saying anything to always be going "arrrr i hate those stupid loving millenials" about every drat thing and I happen to like to make fun of that
ok so when do you start?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

I'm all for making fun of things that are dumb, it's just tiresome and not really saying anything to always be going "arrrr i hate those stupid loving millenials" about every drat thing and I happen to like to make fun of that (sorry if that offends you)

We're hardly the first generation to be seen as entitled little shits by our predecessors.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

An invariant across time: all young people are scum (and so were you).

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

But goons are also mostly millenials themselves and this whole persona of a grumpy old guy that's tired of the lovely youth (who is actually, in reality, himself a youth who really hasn't achieved anything either. In fact I'd bet the worst kick starter creator still has probably achieved more than the average gbs poster unless you count repetitive posting as an accomplishment) is absurd and like how don't people on these forums see how ridiculous they look lmao

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Volcott posted:

We're hardly the first generation to be seen as entitled little shits by our predecessors.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

But goons are also mostly millenials themselves and this whole persona of a grumpy old guy that's tired of the lovely youth (who is actually, in reality, himself a youth who really hasn't achieved anything either. In fact I'd bet the worst kick starter creator still has probably achieved more than the average gbs poster unless you count repetitive posting as an accomplishment) is absurd and like how don't people on these forums see how ridiculous they look lmao

I disagree.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

Germstore posted:

An invariant across time: all young people are scum (and so were you).

And gay according to the boot.

Germstore posted:

Glowforge has had their 40% off ending soon for like two years.

Weren't they the ones who posted an hilariously over produced post mortem video, complete with motion animation and all to describe how one of them scammed everyone ?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Tiberius Thyben posted:

No, you see, we are all shaming Japanese culture by feeling disgust at people jerking off to cartoon children.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Tanto is a fun game to play with friends. You can jerk off to it if you really want, but that's not really what it's made for

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Non Serviam posted:

No, you see, we are all shaming Japanese culture by feeling disgust at people jerking off to cartoon children.

No it's fine she's 86.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
But is he wrong?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Everyone posted:

Anime.
:catstare:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Nice desu ne.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

It's as if everyone who posts in GBS feels like their two cents on anime and peoples' sexual preferences is legitimately valuable in a thread about kickstarter trash.

e: nvm I'm actually underage, how could I not have known! Thwarted by chivalrous goon men again...!

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Jun 30, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I don't know much about anime, but I thought Milla Jovovich was hot in Fifth Element so- I guess I'll go turn myself in.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Noyemi K posted:

It's as if everyone who posts in GBS feels like their two cents on anime and peoples' sexual preferences is legitimately valuable in a thread about kickstarter trash.

e: nvm I'm actually underage, how could I not have known! Thwarted by chivalrous goon men again...!

Your only mistake was identifying yourself as a potential waifu on the internet. Anime fans are like communists in 1950's america - you never know where they could rear their ugly head!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Can we please just never talk about anime and your opinions on anime and bad anime because this always loving happens.

In speaking of anime, this game actually looks really cool and the music is done with YM2151 (OPM) plus Sega PCM hardware. Dunno which of the myriad of ways is being used to actually score the music, but I really like the MML method because it's very useful for a sperg/control-freak like me.

It's a good KS, so the only reason I'm bringing it up is because it sort of kindles the bad idea I have for a KS where I try to get funding to produce a new FM device or device driver that allows you to supply a user-made phase offset input instead of just supplying the modulator output to it (which is periodic). Kind of like SSG-EG but for controlling the PM amount fed into the carrier and not controlled by the SSG on-die in many OPN series.

treiz01 posted:

Your only mistake was identifying yourself as a potential waifu on the internet
My ex did call me "Galwi Waifu-Chan" with some regularity. I thought it was a cute joke nickname :shrug:

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Jun 30, 2016

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Hey, instead of derailing into dumb anime poo poo again, how about more kickstarters?

What about this dumb as gently caress vest? You burn more calories when you're cold, so why don't you wear this vest while sitting on the couch and stuffing your face with cheetos!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1620631440/thin-ice-20-a-next-gen-weight-loss-clothing-line?ref=category_popular

Neurofeedback crap headband that is already funded with 49 days to go!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1987764045/super-brain-ii?ref=category_popular

One of a few kickstarters for building dumb poo poo at burning man

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/257047360/making-architecture-tangential-dreams-for-burning?ref=category_recommended

LED monstrosities for people with more money than sense!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ingrein/ingrein-clock-stay-connected-without-the-distracti?ref=category_recommended

Something that feels like shenanigans!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wovns/wovns-a-platform-for-on-demand-production-of-woven?ref=category_recommended

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Lol at "premium hardwood" used to describe 12 thin 1-inch wide boards edge joined together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Volcott posted:

Why won't anyone remake that game where you run a zoo only instead of elephants you fill it with dinosaurs. That's what I really want.

Dino Park Tycoon owned