Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mortanis posted:

Neal McDonough is a goddamned treasure. He's been in everything. From Star Trek First Contact to that pretty bland movie version of Timeline, though I always think of him from Band of Brothers.

And who can forget his role as the eponymous character in Tin Man: The Search for A Homo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Mortanis posted:

Neal McDonough is a goddamned treasure. He's been in everything. From Star Trek First Contact to that pretty bland movie version of Timeline, though I always think of him from Band of Brothers.
He was also great as Dum Dum Dugan in Agent Carter and Capt. America (and I think a cameo in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Carly Pope has been cast as Susan Williams, Hal Jordan's sister in law in the comics

quote:

The CW has revealed to TV Insider that Carly Pope will be taking on the recurring role of Susan Williams, a journalist from nearby Coast City who comes to Star City “looking to make a name for herself” by targeting Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) for a big story. If all of this sounds a little familiar to fans of the DC Universe, that's because in the comics, Williams is married to Jim Jordan, the little brother of Coast City's resident Green Lantern, Hal Jordan.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
That feels so tangential I can barely even consider it news.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Death Zebra posted:

He also voiced Arrow a few years ago and obviously wound up playing an Arrow villian. Is there a term for that? Cast irony?

Well there was Michael Rosenbaum who played Lex Luthor on Smallville for years and was simultaneously voicing Flash on the Justice League/JLU animated series. He even did an episode of JLU (one of the best) where he voiced the Flash while Flash had his mind swapped with Luthor's.

ManSedan posted:

I've been rewatching this on Netflix. Season 1 was okay but season 2 is so good ugggghhh what happened.

Remember when we were all like "Arrow has such a quicker pace than Smallville! This is awesome and that episode's arc would've been an entire season's on Smallville!" Yeah, me too :smith:

Jesus. They need to poo poo or get off the GL pot.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

McDonough also crushed it on Band of Brothers too. Which makes his turn as Dum Dum Dugan even better.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Thwomp posted:

Well there was Michael Rosenbaum who played Lex Luthor on Smallville for years and was simultaneously voicing Flash on the Justice League/JLU animated series. He even did an episode of JLU (one of the best) where he voiced the Flash while Flash had his mind swapped with Luthor's.

That was my favorite scene in JLU, with the exception of the scene where Amanda Waller does her whole speech about how Batman is the reason Cadmus exists. That was a good speech and sold me on the character.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Rosenbaum is also my favorite Deadshot.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Narcissus1916 posted:

McDonough also crushed it on Band of Brothers too. Which makes his turn as Dum Dum Dugan even better.
There was a great under-rated cop drama show called Boomtown with him and Donnie Wahlberg where he played a lawyer with (I think) a drinking problem. Only lasted a season or two, but it had a cool gimmick of showing a crime from different people's perspectives.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Crunk Abortion posted:

Rosenbaum is also my favorite Deadshot.

I loved that Rosenbaum did a snarky, sarcastic Kevin Spacey impression as his Deadshot voice.

Deadshot was AWESOME in Batman: Assault on Arkham. He clowned Batman AND Joker, slept with Harley, and ended up pretty much as the big hero. There's no way Will Smith could possibly make him that awesome in the movie.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'd like to thank whoever brought up Justified for reminding me about it, as I'd been meaning to watch it for a while. Started yesterday, I'm halfway through season one now and god drat do I not regret this decision. :clint:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Spergatory posted:

I'd like to thank whoever brought up Justified for reminding me about it, as I'd been meaning to watch it for a while. Started yesterday, I'm halfway through season one now and god drat do I not regret this decision. :clint:

And the first season isn't even close to the best! I think the correct ranking is 2 4 6 3 1 5?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cody Rhodes (Stardust) is going on be on Arrow season 5. They are not loving around this year.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I loved that Rosenbaum did a snarky, sarcastic Kevin Spacey impression as his Deadshot voice.

Once you get that in your head, there's no un-hearing it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Joy

quote:

During a panel at HVFF, Ramsey spoke with fans about his position on the show and where his character, Diggle, would venture in Season 5. However, he did take a moment to tease Olicity shippers that their OTP wasn’t dead yet. According to a tweet by @fangirlishness, David told them, “We can expect death, mayhem, AND OLIVER AND FELICITY GETTING BACK TOGETHER!”

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rhyno posted:

Cody Rhodes (Stardust) is going on be on Arrow season 5. They are not loving around this year.

Finally, some goddamn payoff on the Cosmic Key.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ugh, the whole Oliver + Felicity thing... I just don't get it. Am I the only one who would prefer her dead and gone, permanently? She sticks out like a sore thumb as a made-up Mary Sue fanfic character who's never presented as being wrong even though she constantly is again and again. I hate her dumb mom, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JazzFlight posted:

Ugh, the whole Oliver + Felicity thing... I just don't get it. Am I the only one who would prefer her dead and gone, permanently? She sticks out like a sore thumb as a made-up Mary Sue fanfic character who's never presented as being wrong even though she constantly is again and again. I hate her dumb mom, too.

She's a good actress and she's goddamned gorgeous but the character is insufferable. I just do not understand the mentality behind the relationships on the shows. They cast aside Laurel+Ollie because of the chemistry between Amell and EBR but over on Flash they junked the amazing Barry and Patty chemistry in favor of BARRY+IRIS 4EVER.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Rhyno posted:

She's a good actress
Ughhhhh, really? Every time she goes into pouty face cry/scold mode with Oliver I want to shoot myself. Meanwhile when Jesse L. Martin (Joe) on Flash cries every ep, I want to toss an Emmy at him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JazzFlight posted:

Ughhhhh, really? Every time she goes into pouty face cry scold mode with Oliver I want to shoot myself. Meanwhile when Jesse Martin (Joe) on Flash cries every ep, I want to toss an Emmy at him.

Good enough and her chemistry with Amell is undeniable. But the producers made her the center of the show which has killed my interest in the character. I have good money that says she's already been guaranteed her own show down the line when her Arrow tenure is done, Berlanti loving loves her.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Ughhhhh, really? Every time she goes into pouty face cry/scold mode with Oliver I want to shoot myself. Meanwhile when Jesse L. Martin (Joe) on Flash cries every ep, I want to toss an Emmy at him.

She can't do emotional.

She's pretty good at the comedy stuff. She's not a good actor, but she's no Huntress.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The problem with Felicity isn't that she's a bad character. She's a good character, and fun... but only when she's allowed to be the fun quirky banter sidekick. However the writers for this show are so incompetent that the only way to know how to do romance is with the maximum amount of contrived angst as possible, which is against her character from the first two seasons and is just a massive drag in general. I wish they'd get over that sort of lovely writing, but every romance on every CW show is a similar atrocity so it's got to be some sort of network mandated thing. :shrug:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

They even got the gay black dude to pick up the "quirky banter sidekick" slack but they managed to even drag him down with all the dour poo poo by the time the season was done.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JazzFlight posted:

Use Flashpoint as a reset button, make Ollie/Laurel the main couple, turn Felicity back into bitter hacker Felicity as the new Calculator.

Boom.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Asimo posted:

The problem with Felicity isn't that she's a bad character. She's a good character, and fun... but only when she's allowed to be the fun quirky banter sidekick. However the writers for this show are so incompetent that the only way to know how to do romance is with the maximum amount of contrived angst as possible, which is against her character from the first two seasons and is just a massive drag in general. I wish they'd get over that sort of lovely writing, but every romance on every CW show is a similar atrocity so it's got to be some sort of network mandated thing. :shrug:

I think I heard it on a podcast from some guy whos done a bunch of TV but it kind of made sense: show writers for the most part are people who come from pretty well off families, go to college prep, then some ivy league college, and finally get jobs writing scripts and because of that they have really stunted social lives and life experiences and so have no real depth to draw on for how 'normal' people talk and interact. I mean if the show is about rich white people thats in their wheelhouse, but they rely on tropes and cliches for everything else because thats the crutch they have (character is in a gang? he has to call everyone 'dawg', constantly. CSI practically writes itself!). Then of course they become execs too. Thats not to say there aren't screen writers who are the complete opposite out there, obviously.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

And to contrast the above:

Stephen Amell posted:

I think that it’s important to remember that relationships on the show don’t have to be only defined by romance. Oliver and Felicity could have a wonderful, fulfilling, dynamic relationship and not be together, right?

That wasn’t a question, OK. That’s how the world works! So we will see where they are this year. I hope that they’re both in a happy positive place. Whether that means they’re together or not remains to be seen.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

I think I heard it on a podcast from some guy whos done a bunch of TV but it kind of made sense: show writers for the most part are people who come from pretty well off families, go to college prep, then some ivy league college, and finally get jobs writing scripts and because of that they have really stunted social lives and life experiences and so have no real depth to draw on for how 'normal' people talk and interact. I mean if the show is about rich white people thats in their wheelhouse, but they rely on tropes and cliches for everything else because thats the crutch they have (character is in a gang? he has to call everyone 'dawg', constantly. CSI practically writes itself!). Then of course they become execs too. Thats not to say there aren't screen writers who are the complete opposite out there, obviously.

There's a few issues that compound to give us a very limited pool of showrunners. For one thing, almost all "creative" fields have a huge lack of diversity. Its rare to find a creative writing program that is not Trump Rally White.

Then there's the ugly fact that to be a staff writer you've got to roll the dice and get lucky. You do need a great script; even hacks started with a strong script that somebody somewhere enjoyed. But your odds of getting lucky depend on how long you're willing to work in the Hollywood meatgrinder as an unpaid or sub-minimum wage worker. That's the reason why I largely stick to sending off the occasional script or short story to interested parties and just go with that.

On top of all those factors, you've got a lot of subconscious bias when showrunners hire new writers. Its not a case of latent racism, but your chances of kismet are going to be higher if you're an affable fairly well-off white dude.

The good news here is that the current pool of assistants and spec writers are much more diverse than at any point prior.

To tie this all back to Arrow, The CW actually has a fantastic mentorship program for new writers. They're very selective but if chosen you're basically mentored by current staff and usually write a spec script for a current CW show. I know Arrow has hired a writer or two from the program, as has Supernatural.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Narcissus1916 posted:

To tie this all back to Arrow, The CW actually has a fantastic mentorship program for new writers. They're very selective but if chosen you're basically mentored by current staff and usually write a spec script for a current CW show. I know Arrow has hired a writer or two from the program, as has Supernatural.

So basically you get borged into writing CW typical dumb poo poo instead of good scripts? :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No I don't think there's any kid touching involved.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

I see a contradiction here.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If you can't do, teach.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Alexeythegreat posted:

I see a contradiction here.

Garbage in, garbage out. :eng99:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its abundantly obvious that The CW superhero shows only have a finite number of decent writers. Legends, Flash, and Arrow were all severely lacking this year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Flash had the same writers for seasons 1 and 2. They always sucked, they just weren't exposed as much in season 1.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That and Reverse Flash was a way better villain than Zoom.

Zoom loving sucked.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Zoom was good when they actually revealed who he was, if they had done that at the midseason (and had cut out all of the Legends of Tomorrow tie-in stuff) it would've been fine.

I do agree that Reverse-Flash is the more iconic and memorable villain though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Evil Jay was entertaining. He played crazy well enough to believe his motivations and explanations being nonsense was just a result of that, and not the writers.

But Zoom and Good Jay sucked.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Thwomp posted:

Jesus. They need to poo poo or get off the GL pot.

Don't hold your breath, GL is slated for DC Films

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't want to see Lanterns on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If you want Green Lanterns, go play Lego Batman 3. The back half of the game abandons 90% of the DC universe to faff about on each and every major Green Lantern planet.

• Locked thread