Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

Haha, I'm messing around in a chaos campaign and my Kholek has a 50% ward save between Storm Rage and a Mark of Tzeentch. And that's not counting his 35% ranged resistance. :getin:

Yeah its kinda dumb actually, soon you'll find Gamblers armour or that 20% Ward Save talisman, or both, and you'll basically be immune against all damage.

Trust me, thats fun for like two battles and then you realise the challenge is utterly gone. Why Mark of Tzeentch exists in its current form i cannot honestly fathom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The equipment/skills aren't the issue, Ward saves just shouldn't stack, or if they do should give diminishing returns.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Kaza42 posted:

Does windows 10 cause issues with gaming? I know that 8 had big compatibility issues for a while, but I've been thinking of upgrading to 10 to be able to use DX12. Anyone have advice on whether or not it's worth it?

It's been pretty good for me for all kinds of games, and it's faster under the hood than 7.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Gejnor posted:

Yeah its kinda dumb actually, soon you'll find Gamblers armour or that 20% Ward Save talisman, or both, and you'll basically be immune against all damage.

Trust me, thats fun for like two battles and then you realise the challenge is utterly gone. Why Mark of Tzeentch exists in its current form i cannot honestly fathom.

Assuming regeneration hasn't been nerfed (If anything it appears to have gotten stronger going off of things like Immortal Will.) Sigvald blows Kholek out of the water once you get him statted right.

Kholek has a really crappy weakness in that his stats require you to pump armor unless you have like 70-90% hard capped ward save. He may not take hits often but when he does if you don't waste points on armor he will feel it. And all the crazy ward saves in the world won't help you if you get an enemy that can snipe him with a DOT.

Sigvald straight up just powers through armies due to his regeneration. And he has abilities that basically give him infinite vigour if you micro him. And he can instantly max out the per turn corruption on a province he's in. And in the latest patch his main weakness, being slow due to having no mount and being quicker to tire as a result, was patched out by giving him strider.

I've seen him single-handedly march into a city at his level cap and clear out the entire army when geared and statted properly. Sigvald is a salaciously swagtacular monster.

Edit: A monster that, going off his model, apparently wears solid gold rear end chaps.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 30, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Archonex posted:

Assuming regeneration hasn't been nerfed (If anything it appears to have gotten stronger going off of things like Immortal Will.) Sigvald blows Kholek out of the water once you get him statted right.

Kholek has a really crappy weakness in that his stats require you to pump armor unless you have like 70-90% hard capped ward save. He may not take hits often but when he does if you don't waste points on armor he will feel it. And all the crazy ward saves in the world won't help you if you get an enemy that can snipe him with a DOT.

Sigvald straight up just powers through armies due to his regeneration. And he has abilities that basically give him infinite vigour if you micro him. And he can instantly max out the per turn corruption on a province he's in. And in the latest patch his main weakness, being slow due to having no mount and being quicker to tire as a result, was patched out by giving him strider.

I've seen him single-handedly march into a city at his level cap and clear out the entire army when geared and statted properly. Sigvald is a salaciously swagtacular monster.

Edit: A monster that, going off his model, apparently wears solid gold rear end chaps.

You do realise that Ward Saves work against everything, even magic? Even sniping magic? Ive already had a game where Kholek reached 100% missile resistance with ward save+physical+missile resistance. My army dead, Kholek killed everything else on his own and lost about 10-15% of his HP.

And im not exactly countering Sigvald here either, hes got higher armor, a shield and with his armour a regen that is always on. Better than Seed of Rebirth, better than Nehek or that Necro aura or the Hunger, atleast for him personally since it is always on and doesn't need him to be in melee at all.

And why wouldn't you give Kholek armour? Hes got decent stats for offensiveness already, just give him that 30+ armour talent and hes got decent armour as well. If he gets gamblers he gets even more armour + the ward save as well, again its pretty nuts.

And yeah as that poster mentioned above the problem is that Ward Save doesn't have any diminishing returns, that it stacks fully with other damage resistances.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 30, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Choo choo here comes the doom train!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

Does windows 10 cause issues with gaming? I know that 8 had big compatibility issues for a while, but I've been thinking of upgrading to 10 to be able to use DX12. Anyone have advice on whether or not it's worth it?

10 has been better than 8 in every way in my experience.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Gejnor posted:

Noticed quite a drop in performance, and ive had one crash already.. not so good for me, thinking i need to upgrade over here and for the first time ever im actually considering AMD over nvidia/intel.

Im with a 970 on a 2500k i5 OC'd to 4.5 GHZ if that helps.. also just using Win 7 64 bit so not even elligible for DX12.

If DX12 in this game matters to you and you're below 970/290 level with your current card, the 480 would be a real solid pick and $200-$230 roughly but wait for models with different coolers and more than a 6 pin power connector, they'll be better cards. This goes for everyone looking.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

If DX12 in this game matters to you and you're below 970/290 level with your current card, the 480 would be a real solid pick and $200-$230 roughly but wait for models with different coolers and more than a 6 pin power connector, they'll be better cards. This goes for everyone looking.

You know me, since we've had our little PM discussion about this, that im basically going back and forth on what to upgrade.

DX12 seems to matter in this game, but i'd also like a good all-round solution.

As i see it, its between 480 and AMD cpu's vs the 1080 and something from intel. I can put up a big budget but it'll still be on this single 1200p screen so im probably going to overkill depending on what i pick exactly .

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Verranicus posted:

W10 comes bundled with literal spyware and is uglier and less functional than 7 in every way.

What literal spyware is this? I've been considering windows 10 for DX12 but I'm definitely not interested in free spyware.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Jesus christ, Blood Knights are loving death incarnate. I love them. :allears:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The easiest way to make ward saves a little less nuts would be to make each apply multiplicatively instead of additively, no? Like, a 50% save and 25% save now results in 75% damage resistance. If you changed it, you'd end up with 62.5% resistance instead, with steadily decreasing returns as you stacked it. You could still make ungodly tough monsters, but not to the sheer ridiculousness that is Kholek right now.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

jfood posted:

Molay's take on Metal is pretty decent. Tearing 80 points of armor off a lord or unit is just such an awesome 'gently caress you' spell.

Yeah I don't really care what spells get buffed/debuffed anymore because Molay's is just the baseline that I compare all magic to at this point.

Related, how do official patches effect installed mods?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Verranicus posted:

W10 comes bundled with literal spyware and is uglier and less functional than 7 in every way.

Looks better and has run better here my dude.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Yeah I don't really care what spells get buffed/debuffed anymore because Molay's is just the baseline that I compare all magic to at this point.

Related, how do official patches effect installed mods?

CA added some stuff to the main units table, so anything that modifies that and hasn't been manually updated by the creator since the patch will crash your game on startup. Mainly you'll have issues with mods that change individual unit stats (though mods that only mess with weapon damage through the weapons table might be fine). Most other types of mods should still work if you enable the checkbox in the mod manager to allow outdated files.

Molay's seems to work, although his stuff will overwrite anything that the patch did to magic.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Gejnor posted:

You do realise that Ward Saves work against everything, even magic? Even sniping magic? Ive already had a game where Kholek reached 100% missile resistance with ward save+physical+missile resistance. My army dead, Kholek killed everything else on his own and lost about 10-15% of his HP.

And im not exactly countering Sigvald here either, hes got higher armor, a shield and with his armour a regen that is always on. Better than Seed of Rebirth, better than Nehek or that Necro aura or the Hunger, atleast for him personally since it is always on and doesn't need him to be in melee at all.

And why wouldn't you give Kholek armour? Hes got decent stats for offensiveness already, just give him that 30+ armour talent and hes got decent armour as well. If he gets gamblers he gets even more armour + the ward save as well, again its pretty nuts.

And yeah as that poster mentioned above the problem is that Ward Save doesn't have any diminishing returns, that it stacks fully with other damage resistances.

I wasn't aware that it worked against soul leech. Every time i've seen it cast on something it melted regardless of ward saves.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Speaking of Molay's, I wish overcasted AoE spells weren't so terrible with it. Like, they seem fairly balanced compared to single target buffs/debuffs in a vacuum, but then they also cost way more mana, have a higher cast time, and can miscast. Never feels worth it. Are there any other good magic revamp mods?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Gejnor posted:

You know me, since we've had our little PM discussion about this, that im basically going back and forth on what to upgrade.

DX12 seems to matter in this game, but i'd also like a good all-round solution.

As i see it, its between 480 and AMD cpu's vs the 1080 and something from intel. I can put up a big budget but it'll still be on this single 1200p screen so im probably going to overkill depending on what i pick exactly .

AMD GPU and Intel CPU works just fine (I'm running it right now), and it's worth noting that the RX 480 puts up the best price/performance of any card on the market before taking the DX12 boost into effect. If you're putting up a big budget, the 1070 and 1080 are flat out more performance even if they aren't as efficient, but there's a wonderful world of spendy gaming monitors out there that are super sweet as well that you might want to upgrade to.

Sjonnar posted:

What literal spyware is this? I've been considering windows 10 for DX12 but I'm definitely not interested in free spyware.

It's a paranoid fantasy version of what telemetry collection is (or at least that's the bit that usually gets wildly overblown even though it's been in previous versions, it may be he literally hasn't paid attention since the preview, which had more invasive telemetry since it was an actual beta and everything). There's a whole bunch of guides on how to disable telemetry but it boils down to if you use a local account, do a manual install, turn everything off, and then in windows go to settings > privacy and turn everything off you'll have a more private install of w10 than your previous one nearly guaranteed. Oh and also don't use any google services. That last one's actually going to have the biggest effect.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Archonex posted:

I wasn't aware that it worked against soul leech. Every time i've seen it cast on something it melted regardless of ward saves.

Well, the only time you see it used with 100% effiecency is where? Multiplayer, right? Yeah thats cause a Human player knows how to use it, and use it well. And in multiplayer you can't have all the Ward save items so for instance in Kholeks case it'd just be his natural 25% Ward Save. That would reduce the damage from Soul Leech but not enough to make it matter.

And yes, Ward Save is just a fancy word for "Resistance Against All" so Magic Resistance is counted in there as well. And it stacks with items that DO give magical resistance (and physical or fire for that matter) so say you have 50% Ward Save on Kholek, like that poster earlier, now you find one of those items that give you 30% Magical resistance and voila Kholek now has a Whooping 80% Magic resistance, making Soul Leech hit for basically nothing, among other things.

xthetenth posted:

AMD GPU and Intel CPU works just fine (I'm running it right now), and it's worth noting that the RX 480 puts up the best price/performance of any card on the market before taking the DX12 boost into effect. If you're putting up a big budget, the 1070 and 1080 are flat out more performance even if they aren't as efficient, but there's a wonderful world of spendy gaming monitors out there that are super sweet as well that you might want to upgrade to.

Im pretty happy with my screen but i have been having weird Screen-tearing issues that may or may not be related to it, so maybe you're right.

By the way, ive noticed that some units are now WAY easier to get like Gyrocopters starting at the T2 building rather than T3!

Oh and on Flame Cannon chat: they barely increased the range (150 to 160) but upped the damage like crazy, from 273 to 382!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 30, 2016

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What are the advantages of foot archers over mounted archers?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Bigger units means more shoot, and smaller dudes means smaller targets in a shootout.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Baron Porkface posted:

They are not nearly as squishy as mounted archers and they generally have longer range. In a ranged fight the foot archers will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAAAAYYS win over mounted archers. Yes even goblin archers vs... oh i don't know, mounted yeomen archers? Whatever is considered the best top tier ranged mounted thing.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gejnor posted:

Oh and on Flame Cannon chat: they barely increased the range (150 to 160) but upped the damage like crazy, from 273 to 382!

That may not seem like much, but the archers I've seen so far max out at 155. Plus with the boost to damage I've been able to rout Bret archers with as few as one or two salvos.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

madmac posted:

Blood DLC is now up for purchase on Steam

Also the officially uploaded trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOxvqLYxTDo

this is amazing

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gejnor posted:

Whatever is considered the best top tier ranged mounted thing.

Outriders w/ grenade launchers?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

Outriders w/ grenade launchers?

Even those, unless you're facing a pro human player. They have longer range and will get a few volleys off before they're even there if they get focused.

Triskelli posted:

That may not seem like much, but the archers I've seen so far max out at 155. Plus with the boost to damage I've been able to rout Bret archers with as few as one or two salvos.

Yeah no, i think i was harping too hard on Flame Cannons, they seemed decent but kinda hard to use before the patch. Now they sound amazing but ive yet to try them myself!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 1, 2016

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I remember earlier in this thread someone commented that they would have trouble implementing the usual blood DLC due to the fact that units don't pair off like old Total Wars...they certainly found a way around that problem! :stare:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo just gibs like soldier of fortune, it's childishly incredible hahahaha

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It appears that the patch has disabled all mods?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

The Lone Badger posted:

It appears that the patch has disabled all mods?

In the launcher you can force it to run out of date mods, but they will probably crash your game. Most patches will break mods until the mods are updated.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Tournament Talk Folks!

We have nine names so far so we're probably going to move ahead with something. If we could get to 16 players or more for a strong bracket that would be just swell! We will probably not start the tournament until at least the weekend of July 8th so the holiday doesn't mess anybody up and we can get more names. Noted Total War Guy and long time club member Yukitsu is going to handle the formal running of the tournament and we're working on the actual rules.

Join the group here (it's public): http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights

Post in this thread if you want to play: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights/discussions/0/358415738186952298/

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chomp8645 posted:

Tournament Talk Folks!

We have nine names so far so we're probably going to move ahead with something. If we could get to 16 players or more for a strong bracket that would be just swell! We will probably not start the tournament until at least the weekend of July 8th so the holiday doesn't mess anybody up and we can get more names. Noted Total War Guy and long time club member Yukitsu is going to handle the formal running of the tournament and we're working on the actual rules.

Join the group here (it's public): http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights

Post in this thread if you want to play: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights/discussions/0/358415738186952298/

Thanks for reposting! I was interested but couldn't find the original post again.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Always start a second army turn 1

What? Why? It'd compete for recruitment slots with your LL's army, and almost every LL can recruit from their main province through just capturing whatever settlement is closest or walking back a tiny bit after your first battle to be inside your province's borders.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mans posted:

poo poo just gibs like soldier of fortune, it's childishly incredible hahahaha

No kidding. I had a unit of black orcs facing off against a unit of longbeards for a while and they were all completely covered in blood from head to toe.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Captain Beans posted:

In the launcher you can force it to run out of date mods, but they will probably crash your game. Most patches will break mods until the mods are updated.

This is wrong actually, but not entirely.

The mod manager tags all mods as out of date as soon as a patch drops, regardless of if that mod is actually problematic or not.

Only mods that alter vanilla tables will break your game, and generally only those mods related to tables that were changed, like main_units when units like the blood knight get added. A mod that holds the original table has no blood knight entry, game looks for it as the other updated tables reference it, the game can't find it and crashes.

My tier 4 mod for example could've been reenabled immediately and it would've worked perfectly fine, since everything in it is a unique entry in custom tables. My upkeep mod for Attila on the other hand broke every patch because I had to modify the main_units table directly.

This is my big concern with mods like Radious that overhaul vanilla entries en masse; every time a patch drops they have to basically re-enter all the changes into the updated tables to properly account for the patch changes. If he's just running the motions to get rid of the out-of-date flag, which entails just reuploading the pack to Steam (seroiusly, that's it), he is overwriting the CA changes entirely with the old poo poo.

People don't notice because he's editing all that stuff in the first place, but it's still means that CA could be fixing broken cai entries and such that his mod doesn't incorporate because his tables alter some other little thing in that same table and he just pushes his hamfisted version to the game as the final copy. Considering how quickly he pushes updates with new patches, I feel like I can basically guarantee this is happening in some form.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 1, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So if I have "enable out of date mods" checked and load a save without crashing, does that mean I'm good to go?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Gitro posted:

What? Why? It'd compete for recruitment slots with your LL's army, and almost every LL can recruit from their main province through just capturing whatever settlement is closest or walking back a tiny bit after your first battle to be inside your province's borders.

At least for Empire and Chaos its worth to recruit a second lord on turn 1 for various reasons.
The empire has the Offices system, where you put the first recruited lord into the Engineer Office slot to lower construction cost by 10% in current region(this stack with later deployed wizards), as well as being a home front interceptor vs greenskin and other invading armies, the lord himself don't need units right away, he just needs to be in movement range to hit the enemy invading armies as your main stack can then force marche right up to them and reinforce the battle.

For Chaos, you wan't a second lord on turn one due to the horde mechanic, basicly getting you a early start in growing a new army (for chaos their armies doubles as their settlements).

Playing any of the other factions I prefer getting a second lord going fairly early on too (between turn 4-6 usually depending on situation), sometimes its just more beneficial to have 2 armies with 10-13 units rather then one full stack to be able to deal with multiple fronts/conquer more then one settlement per turn.

Note that it does increase overall army upkeep cost so recruiting new armies is not something you want to do without good enough reasons(except Chaos, always have more armies up until at least 4-5 stacks), but there are plenty of strong reasons to at least get a second army going fairly early game.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Blood Knights are amazing.

Even when they get bogged down they're able to cut some mother fuckers up. On the charge they are absolutely crushing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So as Empire does the AI usually break all pacts and chain war declarations on you from all corners of the globe around turn 40 or so? All I did was take out Middenland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
If you've never put Blood Knights up against enemy cavalry holy poo poo are you missing out on a slaughter. They can almost break a unit of Reiksguard in about 2 charges, and Grail Knights just die in droves. It feels so goddamn good to finally have a hard counter against cav as VC.

• Locked thread