Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I have absolutely no idea who would be excited about playing Blue's army of traffic cops, tax collectors, and assorted bureaucrats.

I agree with everything else but playing as traffic cops, tax collectors, and assorted bureaucrats sounds badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Anything I should know about Tragedy Looper before bringing it to the table? My wonderful fiancé has agreed to play the Mastermind for the first couple scenarios.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

the panacea posted:

I whaled out on the Descent app and now got all but 1 monster&heroes and 2 lieutenant packs (one big box expansion is still in the mail). That's a metric poo poo ton of figures now and they all look nice, except for one batch that seems to be made from a different plastic/resin.

If they are smart they'll release all their old campaigns for :tenbucks: via the app soon. It's the perfect solitaire / coop dungeon crawler.
And once I figure out a smart storage solution it'll be super easy to break out and play.

I haven't whaled yet, but only because FFG isn't dropping any clues about how the new campaigns will work. Judging by the print on demand stuff they're going to be using the app to drive sales of the big box expansions so that would be the logical place to start picking things up but who knows?

What amazes me most about how well the system works is that I really, really didn't like Descent 2nd edition. It was fun to look at and fun to think about but the actual game play felt kind of tedious to me regardless of which side I was on, largely because both sides were heavily encouraged to engage in gamey bullshit. With the overlord role removed and the quests pretty tightly tuned, that isn't really a thing anymore. This feels like what Descent always should have been. You quest, loot, develop your characters and then do it over and over again. The difficulty is there but barring gross negligence you'll probably be fine missing a few attacks on Normal mode. Maps are usually juuuust big enough that you don't see everything.

The writing is pants-shittingly terrible though. And you might ask, "Manatee, why the gently caress are you complaining about the writing in a board game?" Because it's that loving bad.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ryoshi posted:

Anything I should know about Tragedy Looper before bringing it to the table? My wonderful fiancé has agreed to play the Mastermind for the first couple scenarios.

Let them read all the rules and teach the game to you just so you don't hit any accidental spoilers. I don't thiiiiink there's any spoilers in the main manual (versus the Mastermind's guide) but better safe than sorry.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ryoshi posted:

Tell them to make sure they understand how much information to reveal. In particular, make sure you both understand the distinction between "The incident didn't trigger" and "The incident triggered, but nothing seems to have happened."

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

SirFelixCat posted:

The whole thing, eh? That was people's learning game and not a small scenario? That doesn't bode well for them wanting to play more:(

Not a learning game. The person quoted was Andy from Good, Board, Ugly so don't feel too bad :v:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The Blue faction in Codex being described as "an army of traffic cops, tax collectors and bureaucrats" is basically directly lifted (surprise!) from MtG's Azorius guild and the blue/white control archetype across the entirety of Magic in general. Having played Magic for a long while I'm used t it but I see how it could seem strange, unappealing and/or lolrandom to people not familiar with the game.

That said Codex mechanics are appealing to me as a fan of both Warcraft 3 and MtG, but it's also a tremendously expensive game that pretty much requires each player to have their own set, so good luck with that, Sirlin.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

People playing the Descent app, I'm curious: how many characters are you playing with, and how are you keeping track of everyone's mess of passives / reactives / whatever else without going super slowly?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mister Sinewave posted:

If Sirlin's games have some of the worst art you have ever seen then feast your eyes on something like Damage Report

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

The writing is pants-shittingly terrible though. And you might ask, "Manatee, why the gently caress are you complaining about the writing in a board game?" Because it's that loving bad.

This makes me wonder, how many people actually read the back stories for board games? I've played some random space game that had half the rule book be lore and history for its in-game universe. I don't remember the name because all of us were so underwhelmed with the actual game we stopped playing two rounds in. It makes me wonder though about the types of games that go all-out on its lore and stuff.

So what are the funniest unnecessary fluff lore things you've seen in board games?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mega64 posted:

This makes me wonder, how many people actually read the back stories for board games? I've played some random space game that had half the rule book be lore and history for its in-game universe. I don't remember the name because all of us were so underwhelmed with the actual game we stopped playing two rounds in. It makes me wonder though about the types of games that go all-out on its lore and stuff.

So what are the funniest unnecessary fluff lore things you've seen in board games?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I'm not sure why people are interested in Codex, it's all the worst of Sirlin slapped on top of a garbage genre.

Sirlin's at his best when he's completely copying slightly increasing the complexity of already good games. He's the last person I'd ever want to 'fix' a bad concept like CCGs or "starcraft, but with cards!" because he's just going to make them wonkier and destroy any semblance of consistent theme or flavour. He even manages to ruin his own jokes - the rhino makes sense as an MTG joke because that game constantly uses hyperbolic adjectives, in the context of Codex it's not even a joke it's just gibberish.

I hadn't seen the void ray card before. That's amazing.

Mega64 posted:

Do the rulebooks for Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Petz, Galaxy Trucker and Space Alert count?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No, those are absolutely essential!

(yes, and they are the correct answer, especially the "what happens when you let an animal escape in Dungeon Petz")

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
thanks to everyone who's popped into the discord to chat about board games over the last coupla days, it's been chill.

if you wanna join us in the discord, the link is right here. any suggestions on how we can improve your something awful board game thread discord experience are graciously accepted. thanks.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Mega64 posted:

My favorites are the vaguely thematic blurbs that go on the back of Dominion boxes.

Alchemy posted:

There are strange things going on in your basement laboratories. They keep calling up for more barrels of quicksilver, or bits of your hair. Well it's all in the name of progress. They're looking for a way to turn lead into gold, or at least into something better than lead. That lead had just been too good of a bargain to pass up; you didn't think, where will I put all this lead, what am I going to do with this lead anyway. Well that will all be sorted out. They're also looking for a universal solvent. If they manage that one, you will take whatever they use to hold it in and build a castle out of it. A castle that can't be dissolved! Now that's progress.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oh yeah the flavor text for Wizard (the card game) ((the good art, the one with elves and dwarves and giants and horrible jesters in masks and poo poo)) is kinda funny for how stupid it is.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Mega64 posted:

Android at this point has multiple novels, an art book, 3 other games using the universe, and probably more stuff I'm forgetting which is pretty darn impressive for a mediocre board game that no one played (yes, I know it's because of Netrunner, but Android:The Board Game was still the first element of the universe, so it all counts as board game backstory).

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Mega64 posted:

Each Tragedy Looper script has a paragraph or two of story to go with it. Some of them, like Script 2, actually kind of explain what was going on. Others, like Script 3, are incomprehensible. (Not pasting them here because spoilers.)

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 1, 2016

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

My favorites are the vaguely thematic blurbs that go on the back of Dominion boxes.

These are great, it's unusual to see such good deadpan comedy as advertising material.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Ryoshi posted:

Depending on the group, I've found (from the mastermind's POV) that it's good idea to say no communication between players while a loop is in progress (or at the very least no announcing the card they lay down). Having a complete strategy discussion every day can double the playtime, and makes things really boring for mastermind. Open communication between days of course is necessary, but the mastermind can take a break if they players go deep into analysis. (Also make sure the mastermind understands all the timing/triggers/etc. extremely well or the game might be ruined)

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Clockwork Gadget posted:

thanks to everyone who's popped into the discord to chat about board games over the last coupla days, it's been chill.

if you wanna join us in the discord, the link is right here. any suggestions on how we can improve your something awful board game thread discord experience are graciously accepted. thanks.

That poo poo is expired. How am I supposed to find somewhere to gush about my love of Betrayal At House On The Hill now???

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Robust Laser posted:

That poo poo is expired. How am I supposed to find somewhere to gush about my love of Betrayal At House On The Hill now???

it should be a non-expiring invitation!! try this instead??

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
i think it was an error because I wasn't logged in on the web client. Which is kinda dumb but whatever.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mega64 posted:

See if you play historicals the 'back story' is pretty much guaranteed to be interesting! Just don't read it if Phil Eklund wrote it

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

StashAugustine posted:

See if you play historicals the 'back story' is pretty much guaranteed to be interesting! Just don't read it if Phil Eklund wrote it

Eklund's diatribes are fascinating. Like a train wreck.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Lhet posted:

Depending on the group, I've found (from the mastermind's POV) that it's good idea to say no communication between players while a loop is in progress (or at the very least no announcing the card they lay down). Having a complete strategy discussion every day can double the playtime, and makes things really boring for mastermind. Open communication between days of course is necessary, but the mastermind can take a break if they players go deep into analysis. (Also make sure the mastermind understands all the timing/triggers/etc. extremely well or the game might be ruined)

It's not just a good idea, the rules explicitly forbid table talk during a loop.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

malkav11 posted:

It's not just a good idea, the rules explicitly forbid table talk during a loop.

House ruling, the actual rules.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

malkav11 posted:

The rules actually just say that table talk is optional

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

The two times I've played, I've noticed that table talk can be a difficulty slider for the overlord. If the heroes are making progress, limit it to relooping. If they're stuck, let them talk during the main phase.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If I want to buy descent what should I buy? When I search on Amazon there are so many different things to buy its confusing.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Reason posted:

If I want to buy descent what should I buy? When I search on Amazon there are so many different things to buy its confusing.

Descent: Journeys in The Dark Second Edition

https://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flig...eys+in+the+dark

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Scyther posted:

Descent: Journeys in The Dark Second Edition

https://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flig...eys+in+the+dark

thank you

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Reason posted:

thank you

No problem. Worth noting (assuming you're in the US) that it's a bit cheaper here (But you'll need to tack on other purchases to reach $100 to get free shipping to really make it worth it):

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/165059

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Anything to keep in mind when teaching Keyflower?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
teach with these first two then give them copies of the third and you're good to go

http://imgur.com/LKGmq55
http://imgur.com/uxBSKDg
http://imgur.com/gxlOtQW

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Arnm616 posted:

Anything to keep in mind when teaching Keyflower?

A few things that I've found to be important:

- Give an overview of what types of tiles to expect during each season. Spring tiles generate resources, autumn tiles score points, and so on. Getting early resource generators for cheap is a good move even if you can't use that resource right away. An opportunity for scoring might appear later.

- Make sure it is clear which tiles require resources to be located on that tile in order to score points (like the barn). Transportation is important to scoring.

- Make sure it is clear that the winter tiles held during the game are not guaranteed to go in your village.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

teach with these first two then give them copies of the third and you're good to go

http://imgur.com/LKGmq55
http://imgur.com/uxBSKDg
http://imgur.com/gxlOtQW

Kinda disappointed that the third image wasn't duelling pistols.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Will I get divorced if I play keyflower with my agricola loving wife?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Agricola already has pretty rude plays. If she can handle spite sheep freeing I'm pretty sure she can handle Keyflower.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Agricola doesn't give you a chance to counter a spite move. It feels great to counter spite move by revealing that you actually do have a 6th red meeple after pretending to drop out of a bidding war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

What iOS board games do y'all play?

I just got an ipad pro and I'm loading up. I know we have an ios board games thread in games, but it's kinda dead, so I wanted to see if I could find game buddies here. I've got:

Agricola
A Brief History of the World
Caylus
Dominant Species
Dominion
Eclipse
Elder Sign
Galaxy Trucker
Ghost Stories
Le Havre
Patchwork
Pathfinder
Ra
Splendor
Star Realms
Steam
Summoner Wars
Tigris & Euphrates
Tikal
Warbits
Waterdeep
Warhammer Quest
Xenoshyft

Anything else I should have?

also, my gamecenter ID is chromehound47 - add me!