Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Rinkles posted:

I feel this is potentially a dangerous precedent.

Translated: "We intentionally overpushed this card and it has resulted in some horribly unfun grindy mirrors in a world where the last 2 standards also had GWx grindy midrange decks as the most powerful deck, but since we intentionally try for standard to be exactly that, we're satisfied."

Seriously, if anyone from wotc reads this: you know how you've decided that draw-go control and mono red aggro shouldn't exist right now? Do that for Gxx midrange for a while, everyone's sick of it being the premier deck in every standard format since innistrad came out (with the arguable exception of UW delver in scars/inn and the definite exception of RTR/Theros.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GeneX posted:

(with the arguable exception of UW delver in scars/inn and the definite exception of RTR/Theros.)

There's nothing arguable about that, Delver was The Best Deck for way too long.

e: lol ninja edit

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

You don't want to play a card like that unless you're doing something unfair, it's not efficient enough.

Getting random silver bullets is not unfair. People keep comparing it to pod, but the card it reminds me most of is Natural Order, just much worse, and no one ever put Natural Order in their deck in order to get Indrik Stomphowler or Gaddock Teeg.

ding ding ding

this is a card you use to do horseshit like turn Allosaurus Rider into Iona, Shield of Emeria.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Entropic posted:

There's nothing arguable about that, Delver was The Best Deck for way too long.

e: lol ninja edit

I think so too, but when I made this exact venting complaint earlier in the thread, someone said there was a Gxx deck near the top

I started paying even minor attention to anything competitive when RTR came around, mind you, so I'm no authority here.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Developer Tumblr posted:

I think there’s a perception that the development team is made up mostly of Spikes – people who play Magic primarily as a competitive outlet to prove how good they are at the game. In fact, the development team is actually predominantly Johnny/Jenny – people who play Magic primarily as a creative outlet and a form of self-expression. While it’s true that the development team is responsible for the competitive balance of Magic with each new set release, we always work towards that goal in pursuit of the larger goal of making Magic a fun game for as many different types of people as possible. Because the development team ultimately determines the “rates” (casting cost, power/toughness, and ability strength) on cards, it can be easy to assume that’s what we care about the most, but as you’ll see below, many of the developers’ favorite designs have nothing to do with how powerful the card is.

Suddenly things make a lot more sense.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GeneX posted:

I think so too, but when I made this exact venting complaint earlier in the thread, someone said there was a Gxx deck near the top

I started paying even minor attention to anything competitive when RTR came around, mind you, so I'm no authority here.

It actually took a surprisingly long time for Delver to catch on. The first deck with Delver that I remember in Standard was the Illusion deck with Phantasmal Bear, Phantasmal Image, Lord of the Unreal, and even Phantasmal Dragon, and that wasn't until like halfway to Dark Ascension or something. The decks I remember at that point were Esper Control and Wolf Run Ramp, the latter of which was basically a Primeval Titan deck that replaced Valakut nonsense with Inkmoth and Kessig Wolf Run. I don't remember offhand if there were green midrange decks pre Avacyn Restored and Wolfir Silverheart, but that was an archetype at that point, and when M12 and Thragtusk rotated in I think green midrange decks ended up being the best overall decks.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

Suddenly things make a lot more sense.

Nothing says creativity and self-expression like a card so absurdly powerful that it goes in every deck of that color regardless of strategy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It was fun watching the mono-blue Illusions Aggro deck quickly evolve to be more and more efficient until it suddently wasn't an illusions deck at all any more and was Delver.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

little munchkin posted:

Nothing says creativity and self-expression like a card so absurdly powerful that it goes in every deck of that color regardless of strategy.

Avacyn is the headline character of Innistrad, so we made avacyn absurdly good, this creates a diversity of decks in standard possible because

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

We design magic for the creative and fun-loving masses yet we promote it with a competitive tournament series because

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

quote:

Spikes – people who play Magic primarily as a competitive outlet to prove how good they are at the game

I can't help but read this like it was written with disdain

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I craft Standard environments that let me strike a blow against conformity by playing base-green value decks. It's a pretty obscure strategy, you probably haven't heard of it

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Green gets big efficient creatures, those are fun! You know what isn't fun? Not drawing your big green creatures. I know! We'll give green better card selection/advantage than blue or black!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Green gets big efficient creatures, those are fun! You know what isn't fun? Not drawing your big green creatures. I know! We'll give green better card selection/advantage than blue or black!

Yeah but even if Green gets the card advantage and selection and casts their efficient creatures, blue and black can just answer those creatures with even more efficient removal. There's no way to give Green the most versatile and efficient removal while removing the unconditional answers from Black and Blue right?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hellsau posted:

Yeah but even if Green gets the card advantage and selection and casts their efficient creatures, blue and black can just answer those creatures with even more efficient removal. There's no way to give Green the most versatile and efficient removal while removing the unconditional answers from Black and Blue right?

*makes extremely white sound* I'm here to help

E: Yes, I'm aware of the other meaning

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I have to say the new werewolves transformation condition is boring (as someone that's not a fan of the day/night flip)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

quote:

A somewhat recent example is that when Lightning Bolt was in standard (with Magic 2010 and 2011, long before my time here), I’m told that the development team of the time had to pull back on a lot of other areas where red could have been powerful. The result was that a lot of decks splashed red just for Lightning Bolt, and there wasn’t as much reason to be base red. That dynamic can often cut back on deck diversity. In general we’d rather spread out the power among lots of different things each color can do, rather than concentrate it in one card or area.
Another reason is that by not having the absolute most pushed version of each type of effect, we open up a lot of design space to have meaningful choices between alternatives. For example, choosing between Magma Spray to exile creatures at instant speed versus Lava Spike to deal extra damage directly to your opponent leads to more creative deckbuilding and shifting metagames than the correct answer always being Lightning Bolt.
-Ian

So instead, you have the correct answer be "don't play red". I fail to see how this is an improveent.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zemyla posted:

So instead, you have the correct answer be "don't play red". I fail to see how this is an improveent.

Clearly, the answer to what everyone wanted was "Everybody plays GWx"

You know, the same thing it's been since THS/KTK

Maybe Kaladesh will bring red the love it needs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stormkirk Mystic
2R
Creature - Vampire Horror
Trample

When Stormkirk Mystic deals combat damage to a player, exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may cast that card.

Madness 1R

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Stormkirk Mystic
2R
Creature - Vampire Horror
Trample

When Stormkirk Mystic deals combat damage to a player, exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may cast that card.

Madness 1R

I wish this was good enough.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I have to say the new werewolves transformation condition is boring (as someone that's not a fan of the day/night flip)

I really like that it's more straightforward than the usual werewolf minigame, but I agree that it could stand to be a lot more flavorful. Not sure what a flavorful flip condition would be, but I'm sure it's possible.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

I really like that it's more straightforward than the usual werewolf minigame, but I agree that it could stand to be a lot more flavorful. Not sure what a flavorful flip condition would be, but I'm sure it's possible.

How about literally anything other than paying some mana

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I wish this was good enough.

It's definitely not. Madness decks really dont want to flip over it's overpriced cards that it has to use Madness to play.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

JerryLee posted:

I guess you're pumping it w/ unnatural amounts of mana until it erupts into an Eldrazi, but I don't think it's particularly evocative especially without a crutch keyword like Monstrous to make the flavor explicit.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

JerryLee posted:

I guess the one silver lining is that just spending mana then passing your turn flipping one of these will trigger any 'normal' werewolves you're running

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I guess you're pumping it w/ unnatural amounts of mana until it erupts into an Eldrazi, but I don't think it's particularly evocative especially without a crutch keyword like Monstrous to make the flavor explicit.

If that was the idea then they should have at least made the flip costs include colorless (diamond) mana.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

JerryLee posted:

If that was the idea then they should have at least made the flip costs include colorless (diamond) mana.

That would be awful. The set isn't about colorless mana, and there wouldn't be enough sources to support it in draft.

Also, colorless mana is a Kozilek thing, not Eldrazi in general (I think).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

anglachel posted:

It's definitely not. Madness decks really dont want to flip over it's overpriced cards that it has to use Madness to play.

I'm not sure I agree with this, I actually think this card is pretty good, just not necessarily in a madness deck.

E: also it's red so probably no one will play it until coco rotates.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Elyv posted:

I'm not sure I agree with this, I actually think this card is pretty good, just not necessarily in a madness deck.

E: also it's red so probably no one will play it until coco rotates.

I mean if your not on madness it's a 3 mana 3/2 with Trample that Impulse Draws you if it does damage. In a vacuum that seems pretty okay, but it doesnt pair off well against Advocate, Eldrazi Displacer, Duskwatch, Pacifist Reflector Mage, Tracker, Thalia, cause it either loses or at best it trades and impulse draws you for 1. White Aggro can trade a 1 drop for it or just use first strike blockers.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Rinkles posted:

That would be awful. The set isn't about colorless mana, and there wouldn't be enough sources to support it in draft.

Run wastes.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

ShaneB posted:

We design magic for the creative and fun-loving masses yet we promote it with a competitive tournament series because

*top 5 esport brand*

(That's absolutely unwatchable to anyone not in the magic bubble.)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Retromancer posted:

*top 5 esport brand*

(That's absolutely unwatchable to anyone not in the magic bubble.)

It's frequently unwatchable for people inside the MTG bubble! The only streamer I can stomach watching is LSV because he is fantastic enough to make MTGO bearable, and I'll only watch the actual GP/Pro Tour coverage if they have the actual good commentators (LSV, Huey, Marshal and Gaby if they have a decent partner) and will otherwise just skip matches if it's covered by BDM and Randy or whatever.

I do like the VSL and CSL but that's as niche as possible.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

ShaneB posted:

tournament players are < 20% of all magic players and < 10% of wotcs income

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Haven't played magic in too long but always trying to keep up on poo poo.

Feels like this last set or standard of whatever had a ton of 2/3s and this set seems to have a ton of 3/2s.

Also i love the new thalia that's my jam.

WhalerWren
Oct 9, 2012
And to literally no-one's surprise.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Eh, I said it'd be better flavor, not that it'd necessarily play better. To be honest, the straight up mana activation costs, while boring, probably are just about the most gameplay-safe option, and it's gonna be a tradeoff between gameplay straightforwardness and evocative flavor if you want to strike out away from those. Even something relatively synergistic with the set, like discarding cards, is gonna put crimps in some of the potential applications.

Fair enough on the second point though.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

ShaneB posted:

Because it's a really cost effective marketing strategy. It creates this entire autonomous system of media around the game, and sells it as something being worth your time.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rinkles posted:

I think Devoid was meant to be an Ulamog thing and colorless mana was meant to be a Kozilek thing.

But a million Eldrazi in OGW were Devoid with colorless mana costs in their abilities so they kind of all just run together.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

WhalerWren posted:

And to literally no-one's surprise.

Why did they do this?

Did they decide they really only needed two villains (nicol and the phyrexians) or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think Devoid was meant to be an Ulamog thing and colorless mana was meant to be a Kozilek thing.

But a million Eldrazi in OGW were Devoid with colorless mana costs in their abilities so they kind of all just run together.

Nah, devoid was pretty clearly a general thing; there are Kozilek cards and even an Emrakul card in BFZ with devoid. It's ingest that was specifically Ulamog, I think.

• Locked thread