Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Haven't played this game in a good minute. What's the best tactic for shutting down SWAT vans? Also, the western pack guns were good, then they were bad, are they good again yet? Did the sentry changes make them a viable choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Especially sniper builds. I really love bringing the thanatos on DW and it seems between the new "headshots return ammo" perk and the bonus carrying capacity it makes it pretty great.

Feels like I'm super squishy though, so I'm probably missing out on some survival skills I should have or maybe I just need to swap perk decks.

Sniper Rifles aren't really that great anymore! Because there's a skill in the armourer sub-tree of enforcer that allows you to punch shields with your bullets. There's even a skill in the sharpshooter tree that replicates the Theia Scope! I present to you:

http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mACEfNOpr:eGHiLMNoR:toqr:gjloqr:ibcdea:pM8::w34-24-31-30-34-33:s94:a7

Try that out (the recommended weapons are included as well).

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Hobold posted:

What.

That is, drat that sound painful, yet for some reason fun.

The hardest part of Overdrill as noted is just getting everyone in position to trigger the light. If the drill takes 30 minutes or whatever, then moving the 85 bags of gold after that takes like, an hour. It's generally easier to hold out if the vault spawns on the right side relative to when you enter the bank than the left, since it's easier to hit the snipers and you don't have to run through the lobby past the turret at the end. The way I managed during this was to say "okay, all you three move the bags and I will shoot cops/do the tiles." This was done with Gambler joining a random public game, though prior to the massive reduction in ammo pickup that makes a lot of people hesitant to let Gambler pick up the ammo drops (because they only get half of what's already been dropped way down):

In general, you probably want 2 people holding off as others move bags. It can also help if someone low on ammo or health just looks at the security cameras since that highlights specials for the people defending.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Voxposting commences.

Daryl Surat posted:

The trash fire that is Car Shop DW still lies in my future though.

Car Shop DW approach suggestions:

1. Each of the players should know which car they're getting in, and whether they are driving. Players who already have the achievement should consider dropping out if it means fewer cars on the road.
2. On the lower level, the back service hallway is almost 100% safe if you don't open the door to the outside. Have one player mask up and camp there- they can check the lower computers much faster.
3. Another player stays out front to wrangle C4.
4. The best stealth player should run the manager and the top floor, possibly with a second player running support.
5. Access the building through the right side exterior stairwell door. This may require camera loop. Do not open the lower level door into the store if you can help it- it will cause civilians and guards to start pathing through the stairwell!
6. The manager can be located through the roof of the building by listening to his voice lines. Be aware that sightlines through the skylights are a bit wonky.
7. The blinds on the upper floor office and meeting room completely block line of sight.
8. This is the colossal dick move that becomes especially relevant on DW. When you start the hack, 2 random guards are silently selected to path to the computer and become stationary. If they see the screen (for some screens they sometimes go stationary first), they alert! You need to be ready to deal with both of them, possibly with little time separation.
9. If one car reaches the end and the other isn't going to make it, the players in the slower car should diconnect so that at least some players get the achievement. You can then use step 1 on the second run to make the driving section easier.

Remember, it used to be worse- the current DW time limit has ~10 more seconds than the heist did at launch. And it's still better than GO Bank was when it came out.

Wastrel_ posted:

The map terrain is incredibly annoying and obtuse and it's unlcear until after multiple playthroughs and failures where exactly to put which bag.

The bags are color-coded, as are the places you throw them. The key to lab rats is to stay together and stay at the upper level barrels as much as possible.

widespread posted:

Overdrill is a holdover from one of the remade maps, First World Bank. Here, it must be Deathwish, must be full lobby, and must be patient. But other than that, stuff is the same: stand in four spots until a light shows, touch light(?), go to offices above regular vault, plant drill on where it tells you. Then, you must hold the line for 2000 secs. Finally, you need to press six tiles EXACTLY, else that drill will be for nothing.

I'm sure some of us can explain better.

Hi! :v: Overdrill guide
The First World Bank heist is a remake of a heist from the first game, Payday the Heist. The Overdrill is a big ARG/easter egg thing left over from that game that was meant to be its ultimate challenge-it's a lot easier in PD2. I'll spare you the sordid details of that and give you instructions on how to clear it. This will assume you've played the heist before. Bring ammo-efficient weapons.

1. Complete the first part of the heist as normal. The first thermal drill part is indeed very hard on DW. A tip- snipers will first spawn from the skylights in the area shortly after the drill breaks for the first time. Staying together as a group is important. Be willing to retreat from the drill if you need to.
2. When you get past the first gate, stand in these positions:

The detection can be a bit buggy.
You will hear a voice line from one of the players (usually "this is the place!") when it works.
3. The drill will spawn near where you place the thermite. It cannot break, but takes 2000 seconds.
4. You now have a choice.
a. You can remove all bulldozer spawns for the duration of the drill, by burning into the vault, but not going down into it. This keeps bulldozers from spawning while you wait.
b. Alternately, you can run the heist as normal, entering the vault (there will be 4 bulldozers there) and placing bags in the vent. This will move spawn points further away from the vault, making the defense easier. I recommend this.
5. During the wait, stay near the thermite area, and further away from the elevator lobby and go out in groups to collect ammunition. I do not recommend camping in the vault.
6. When the drill finishes, a final puzzle will be in the next room. Use these images to press the correct tiles:

The order of tiles is not important. DO NOT press the wrong tile. If you do, the vault locks, the room fills with gas, and you have to restart the heist to get in. Be very sure you are selecting the right tile- the glowy indicator is really hard to see, and it's easy to select the wrong tile.

Malek posted:

Goat Simulator (Regular and Pro) - MAINLY due to the massive open area that is Day 1.
Lab Rats - Obviously
Biker Heist (Regular and Pro) - Only because it's new but it seems very viable with a good group.

Some brief notes on Goatsim days 1 and 2.

1. The game spawns a wave of 24 street cops shortly after day 1 begins. Players should find cover and take them out before rushing forward. These police spawn at the edges of the map, which usually means about 10 of them spawn behind your spawnpoint!
2. I suggest clearing the park area first, then going for the apartment. The park is very dangerous once snipers and police reach full force, and clearing the apartment gives you enough time for the escape vehicle to spawn.
3. I don't have much advice for day 2, aside from noting that the initial wave of gangsters is one of the nastiest in the heist, or even the game. Stay together and stay toward the back of the barn. Gangsters use a limited set of paths and spawns compared to cops, so it's easier to hit them while they path toward the barn. Watch out for the sets that spawn on the roof.
4. I recommend bringing a saw for the bridge control door. If not, bear in mind that the drill can be set/repaired from below the stairs.
5. The long guide sez that parking the car where police jump down near the control room will kill them. This may be a good defense approach.
6. The "back corner" of the control room exterior is a good holdout position. Try to save at least one of each bag type for there.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 30, 2016

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

There's still a significant difficulty gap between Overkill and Deathwish. Most of us here just have hundreds if not thousands of hours logged.

It should be much less difficult to acclimate with all the player power creep though. Really you'll only be surprised by the map changes, something I really wish they had kept up with the newer maps.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Crabtree posted:

Some people still have flashbacks from the first deathwish days, but with the new skills and DLC weapons it has become considerably more doable, outside of maybe having issues with DW Pro Biker Heist. The only lingering bullshit is the kind that either they don't want to take out for reasons (bronco and weak cops are loving glass cannon motherfuckers and you need to be careful of them plinking away at you with three shots) or something they probably cannot touch like the cloaker's ability to walk through reality and kick you from the ground or follow you from the walls through mastery of the Weirding Way.

This kind of rubbish being unlikely to change any time soon is why I don't consider DW to be fair.

Goat simulator has a hilarious difficulty spike when the first few waves of cop spawns are more dangerous than gensec elites and more than enough to down someone in seconds from long distance. Grabbing the apartment goat is walking into a cloaker closet. The gangsters on day two also hit like trucks though as a consolation prize Vlad's associates in aftershock do the same to cops.

Cop spawning will go so far as put three specials in every squad at the nearest spawn point rather than spread it out across the map which is really noticeable on maps like birth of sky. The delay is nearly non-existent so the wall behind the gas station and diner quickly become a great reason to whip out the RPG when it's infested by a dozen specials which can include two saiga and two m249 dozers at the same time.

Day two in the biker heist also suffers from this kind of spawning behaviour where it has no problems throwing pairs of cloakers and dozers at you repeatedly in close quarters.

I think the real challenge is finding out what your tolerance of bullshit is, a fair few of the newer maps are worse on DW than the older ones.

Malek posted:

I have 5 maps left on Deathwish that I truly am worried about doing.

Goat Simulator (Regular and Pro) - MAINLY due to the massive open area that is Day 1.
Lab Rats - Obviously
Biker Heist (Regular and Pro) - Only because it's new but it seems very viable with a good group.

I think as long as you can kill the turret quickly or get the better truck spawn in day one biker heist a good group can tackle the objectives fairly quickly. The trees that can obscure 3-4 sniper spots are a real nuisance, I want to know who thought that was a good idea. Riding away successfully from my experience boils down to holding out until the assault fade or clearing the path for one rider. Ideally one that can handle the bike that handles like a boat so they don't get stuck and murdered by 'weak' cops. :v:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
It wouldn't be a proper update without something happening.

All the special time limited events are back (FWB's AU Safe, Goat Safe in Firestarter Day 2, John Wick civilians in Firestarter Day 3, etc).

I don't know if they do anything but they are there. I imagine the Slaughterhouse marked pig is also there too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
All of those have always stayed in the game, they just don't reward safes.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Hardest part of overdrill is the puzzle - I've seen multiple groups fail it, which to me is hilarious because I've already got the achievement.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

Voxposting commences.

The order of tiles is not important. DO NOT press the wrong tile. If you do, the vault locks, the room fills with gas, and you have to restart the heist to get in. Be very sure you are selecting the right tile- the glowy indicator is really hard to see, and it's easy to select the wrong tile.

Friendly tip for higher success here start with the tile closest to the overvault door since it's the easiest to find & start on.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Now I really want to try this Overdrill, yet probably should not.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Discendo Vox posted:

All of those have always stayed in the game, they just don't reward safes.

I swear that they removed the goat at one point. I could just be wrong.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Overdrill is fine. If you think you can do it, you should do it.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

Sounds like someone wants to do overdrill.

I do. I want to put together a ICTV/LMG build at some point and stroll around DW maps spraying bullets everywhere at cops that makes me invincible.

I'd have to stop playing D3/MH first though. drat arpg bug has me hard.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hobold posted:

I do. I want to put together a ICTV/LMG build at some point and stroll around DW maps spraying bullets everywhere at cops that makes me invincible.

It's the most fun you can get in this game, so you should do it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Drewjitsu posted:

Sniper Rifles aren't really that great anymore! Because there's a skill in the armourer sub-tree of enforcer that allows you to punch shields with your bullets. There's even a skill in the sharpshooter tree that replicates the Theia Scope! I present to you:

http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mACEfNOpr:eGHiLMNoR:toqr:gjloqr:ibcdea:pM8::w34-24-31-30-34-33:s94:a7

Try that out (the recommended weapons are included as well).

Wow, that's quite the change. Yeah, the main reason was popping shields and dozers so if I can take a skill, that's cool. I mean, I really like sniper rifles, but if I can pop shields with something other than the thanatos that's cool, I'll use the rattlesnake or leibensauger or whatever.

So, there's a skill I see now that says "bullets push back shields", does that just like move them around or what?

There's also a skill that says "bullets pierce through armor", does that apply to shields or just to tans, do you have to use the above skill on shields? How does this exactly play out in practice?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It just lets you shoot through tan armor. I forget if it applies a damage penalty or not.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Wilko posted:

GoonMod's still being worked on, I'm just moving atm, so the update won't be for a few more weeks so I can get moved in and setup again. As people above have said though, everything should work fine by force loading it through the options menu.

Yup, it worked. Appreciate what you do for us. :)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Famine is kind of bad but the other three horsemen masks are cool.

Conquest, War, Famine, and Sans

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

UnknownMercenary posted:

It just lets you shoot through tan armor. I forget if it applies a damage penalty or not.

Hm, if the perk only lets you make shields dance instead of popping them right out then I may have to stick with the thanatos after all...

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Hm, if the perk only lets you make shields dance instead of popping them right out then I may have to stick with the thanatos after all...

Trust me. Once you get the hang of it, shields are a loving joke. Not to mention that when you stumble a shield, your whole crew can put the shield down.

You're giving up too much by taking the Thanatos (at this point in the game) - Small Magazine, Terrible ROF, low ammo pool, for the ability to one shot shields through the shield. See how you like the build first, it's a tremendous upgrade at this point.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Thanatos is still a fun gun, but sniper rifles have largely been left behind in the current meta. With Specialized Killing basic, a silenced one can two-shot DW bulldozers, at least until the whiners have their way and get the skill nerfed.

Also keep in mind that all weapon types that penetrate shields (and by that extension, surfaces) suffer a massive damage penalty. It's part of why AP slug ammo for shotguns; the damage penalty makes them woefully inefficient for killing shields. The shield stumbling skill, on the other hand, only massively benefits certain weapons. It is a percentage based on your damage per shot, but the scaling is pretty mild so you actually want a rapid fire gun simply to have more chances to stumble. Or you want to combine it with a shotgun, since shotguns fire 12 pellets per shot and each pellet gets a chance to stumble.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Did anything end up making non-Thanny snipers DW viable? Aced High Value Target maybe? I was always annoyed when the weapon rebalance crunched them so that it was a pain to kill even shields anymore.

Also while Ammo Efficiency would obviously buffer the Thanatos' awful ammo pool, it seems like a weird combination since you don't actually have to aim for the head with it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Specialized Killing Aced (not sure about basic) will let the mid-tier snipers (R93/Nagant/Platypus) one-shot shields, and should boost damage enough to one-shot tans on the low tier snipers (Lebensauger/Repeater/Rattlesnake).

For a loud configuration, High Value Target Aced will help but it has a minimum and maximum range (10m and 40m respectively, which I assume is tied to how far the non-Theia marking works) which limits its use for sniper rifles to maps where you won't really take them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
HVT has a maximum range? :psyduck:

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Is there a go to standard for dodge builds at the moment? I imagine this is just me being poo poo at the game, but what i've manage to get from trying out different skill point investments seems rather lacklustre and extremely susceptible to being taken down rapidly. This is not consistent with me watching people on DW maps seemingly ignoring all damage.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
Is there any reliable way to make (offshore) money other than just playing the game as normal? I'm Infamy 3 atm, but it feels like constantly i'm running low on offshore money to be able to infamy when I hit 100. Is this common or am I A Bad? I've tried to stop hosting when i can help it, but even then I'm sitting at just 26mil at level 73.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Some heists make a lot of money for you. Hotline on DW you can clear like 26 million if you cook the meth on day one and get to the penthouse quickly on day two. Even the two cooks on Dockyard make a shitload of money.

I don't have a handy chart of highest $/minute or whatever but basically just keep playing heists and do objectives, you only need the 200m poo poo until infamy 5 and then you're free!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

John Murdoch posted:

HVT has a maximum range? :psyduck:

I assume it's related to how far away you can mark things with the skill, but honestly the damage bonus shouldn't have a maximum range.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
^ Yet more evidence that Sharpshooter needs more work. ^

Coolwhoami posted:

Is there a go to standard for dodge builds at the moment? I imagine this is just me being poo poo at the game, but what i've manage to get from trying out different skill point investments seems rather lacklustre and extremely susceptible to being taken down rapidly. This is not consistent with me watching people on DW maps seemingly ignoring all damage.

Pure dodge builds got hit by several nerfs over time to the point where they're probably not completely unviable but lag behind any build that can bring multiple forms of damage mitigation. Instead of Suit + Rogue + 20% from skills you're way better off with LBV + Crook (or Grinder or Ex-Prez or Anarchist) + both armor and dodge skills to taste.

Right now a lot of folks are running Frenzy + Anarchist builds. They have a weird interaction which lets you take even less damage than you should, which could also be what you're seeing.

Edit: Tangentially related, because I keep alluding to it now and again, here's my LBV-based build.

Works well with pretty much every LBV-compatible perk deck, but I've fallen in love with Anarchist. There's lots of small choices I made to fit my style, but you can easily strip those out and invest the points in Inspire or whatever.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 1, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

suit ex-pres is better than lbv, actually

I know, I'm like the LBV king around here but even I have to admit it, suit is superior for ex-pres. As a bonus, it frees up a couple skillpoints so you aren't stretched quite as hard - you can stack in a remarkable number of things while acing inspire, a weapon tree T4, all your dodge QOL, swan song, etc...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Commissar Budgie posted:

Is there any reliable way to make (offshore) money other than just playing the game as normal? I'm Infamy 3 atm, but it feels like constantly i'm running low on offshore money to be able to infamy when I hit 100. Is this common or am I A Bad? I've tried to stop hosting when i can help it, but even then I'm sitting at just 26mil at level 73.

Bear in mind you'll only need the money for infamies 4 and 5.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
Is that because you don't need any after 5 or because there's no real point beyond going to 6 and on?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Don't need any.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Unless you're just bored, want some extra dumb masks, colors and patterns or like watching numbers go up.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Crabtree posted:

Unless you're just bored, want some extra dumb masks, colors and patterns or like watching numbers go up.

no, we're talking about the 200 million required to infamy at all. That requirement goes away at I-5 so 6-25 don't' cost you anything.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

Thank you based goons. Time to bumrush there and spend all my offshore cash on gambling.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

John Murdoch posted:

Conquest, War, Famine, and Sans

I can't unhear it now.

Crabtree posted:

Some of those masks are cool and good.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Malek posted:

We had 2 people in the hall way leading to the cubical farm holding them off and 2 people shuffling bags with everyone pulling back between fades. This is not nearly as bad as it sounds unless you are dumb as bricks and going for "Cloaker Fear" with those 75 bags.

Oh, no, I didn't mean it was difficult. I meant that it's incredibly tedious. Overdrill as a whole is tedious rather than difficult, by this point.

Also yes, the worst thing about DW these days are the loving veteran cops, hostage rescue team (guys in balaclavas) and bronco cops who can down you in a matter of shots. It's the last vestige of artificial difficulty remaining in DW. HRT are the worst because they always appear in groups. I have, however, recently solved the problem by using Anarchist perk deck with ICTV. With 400 armour even those fuckers can barely scratch you. It was very satisfying to walk slowly up to them and deliver facefuls of buckshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tulip posted:

Some of those masks are cool and good.

Just got to VII tonight, went for the middle right pip with VI and then up to grab the balaclava with VII, which is pretty cool for sure. Might stick at 100 for a little when I get back there but when I eventually run for VIII, probably just gonna go 1 down for Kamul so I can be maximum edgelord when necessary too.