Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

David Hare has a good piece on this "revolution" and how it will devour itself.

Most interesting is his suggestion that this is the death of the conservative party if it can't even stand for free markets.

Traditionally the Tories were the people who opposed free markets, Corn Laws and all that. Clearly we're heading back to the 19th century, which is good news for the Liberals!

Edit: 7 days since the votes came in and we all learned the entire country is dying on fire in a pile of poo poo in a dumpster.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Ahahah holy poo poo so it was Blair that entrenched Murdoch's position in the UK? This man doesn't get nearly enough vitriol compared to Bush. How has he managed to slink by unnoticed (at least internationally)? Good thing Corbyn is trying to get rid of the trash he left behind, there might be hope for Labour yet.

I hope Corbyn thrashes Tony into orbit when Chilcot is released

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

MeLKoR posted:

Ahahah holy poo poo so it was Blair that entrenched Murdoch's position in the UK? This man doesn't get nearly enough vitriol compared to Bush. How has he managed to slink by unnoticed (at least internationally)? Good thing Corbyn is trying to get rid of the trash he left behind, there might be hope for Labour yet.

odds that Kinnock's Labour would have been able to pass its legislation restricting press ownership, even with a crippled Tory party:

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Well this is interesting. Austria’s constitutional court has annulled the result of the country’s presidential elections because the Far-Right candidate lost by a narrow margin.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/01/austrian-presidential-election-result-overturned-and-must-be-held-again-hofer-van-der-bellen

Possible implications/precedent for ignoring the (non-binding) referendum result? The rerun is down to counting irregularities whichisn't relevent here, but surely there's an argument on the grounds of the lies told during the campaigning.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
like, you know The Sun's influence predates Blair right

what with wot won it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Angela Eagle is supposedly delaying her leadership bid longer to give Corbyn "more time to do the right thing". Also, for what it's worth, the rolling coverage on the BBC website has changed from "Brexit, Tory leadership and Labour leadership latest" to "Brexit and Tory leadership latest".

The only Labour story on the BBC News front page is about McDonnell's speech on the banks

Metrication posted:

can anyone explain service tariffs to the economically illiterate (me) and how this would affect 80% of our entire economy? i assume that the cost of doing business abroad would go up (and the cost at home if you depend on a foreign supplier)? what are these tariffs that would apply? is it stuff like local vat?

It affects things that are sold to or bought from abroad, including things that have components or machines used in their production that are bought from or sold to abroad.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Prince John posted:

Out of interest, are the points/rewards you get from participating actually worth your while financially? It's always unclear what the actual reward is from the website.

I've gotten £50 from them once which was nice. And I'm about half-way to another £50 cheque, so I should probably get that at some time in 2018. It's probably not worth it unless you have a job where you can take 15 minutes 2-3 times a week to fill them out. If it wasn't someone else's time I was wasting I don't imagine I'd do it.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The referendum is only getting rerun if the LibDems somehow get in power after the next election.

If Corbyn stays on as Labour leader (which he will) i'll doubt he'd press for it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What happens to all those Labour party rebel MPs? Can they slink back or did they overplay their hand?

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

kustomkarkommando posted:

The referendum is only getting rerun if the LibDems somehow get in power after the next election.

Would they actually re-run it? I was under the impression they were going to ignore it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
McDonnell in his speech opened the door to slinking back, but I would be skeptical of that promise. I think the MPs would be too

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baloogan posted:

What happens to all those Labour party rebel MPs? Can they slink back or did they overplay their hand?

That question alone is more thought than they've put into it.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Biggus Dickus posted:

Would they actually re-run it? I was under the impression they were going to ignore it.

The LibDems love a good referendum though. They probably wouldn't bother but that's the only circumstances I would see it being likely

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If Corbyn stays on as Labour leader (which he will) i'll doubt he'd press for it.

I'm a bit concerned that the lib dems are going to nick all the remain voters.

You'd think people would remember what happens when you vote for the lib dems based on promises.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If the LibDems won enough seats to be kingmakers I could see a "do you want to join the EEA" or a rerun ref being a coalition price

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ronya posted:

McDonnell in his speech opened the door to slinking back, but I would be skeptical of that promise. I think the MPs would be too

I don't doubt that there will be Consequences Down the Road, but only for the ringleaders. You can't change the entirety of the PLP overnight.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't doubt that there will be Consequences Down the Road, but only for the ringleaders. You can't change the entirety of the PLP overnight.

that's not the problem, the problem is that McDonnell's promise that there will be no deselection is toothless. It's not up to him

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

You'd think people would remember what happens when you vote for the lib dems based on promises.
Lib Dem cabinet with a UKIP opposition. :suspense:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Gove is doing an excellent job presenting himself as the charisma vacuum that stumbled into the leadership race.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I absolutely expect them to make gains by targeting remain voters, not massive ones but a "see this is what happens when you abandoned us" semi-scolding targeting former LibDem voters may yield results

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Hopefully, mandatory reselection gets introduced by the NEC, but that's probably optimistic. Otherwise, once an MP is elected they stay an MP, that's not under the Party's control. Not much you can do to them til the election.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/748826079545131008

Say one thing for George Osborne, say he's a man for going back on his promises.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Brown Moses posted:

Gove is doing an excellent job presenting himself as the charisma vacuum that stumbled into the leadership race.

it's a shame that the only realistic winners of that race is someone who really loving hates civil liberties, and an overly-ambitious sock puppet

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

"no longer"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Brown Moses posted:

Your next pm

"I did not want it, I did almost everything I could not to be in this position. I don’t have glamour or charisma."

Inspiring.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

God bless this thread for keeping my mind off of the impending tire fire that is Trump '16.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 1, 2016

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Gotta live within those means, make the tough choices and tie up those purse strings. What hospital? Oh, you must mean this new golf course. There're doctors ON it, what more do you want?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't the Lib Dems lose most of their seats to the Tories though? That could be a good thing.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The only Labour story on the BBC News front page is about McDonnell's speech on the banks

Interesting, considering the amount of coverage and baseless speculation they've been putting up the past few days, they were pretty much an active participant. Where does Labour go from here though? Surely it's a little embarrassing if the plotters just start showing back up in the shadow cabinet. Does Corbyn keep going with the skeleton shadow cabinet he has? He had 81-year-old Paul Flynn in there substituting yesterday.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 1, 2016

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The sad thing is gideon now has a get out clause for why his fiscal plans never achieved the aims they were supposed to

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

Did anyone ever expect otherwise?

I dunno where this "Gove is a quiet intellectual worthy of respect according to the tories" idea comes from, I don't see it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

qhat posted:

"no longer"

We were so close you know, We almost won that war with Eurasia.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Gonzo McFee posted:

In retrospect, the decisions we made weren't nearly tough enough. We really should've grasped the nettle on that one.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think you'll find you're mistaken. We've always been at war with Eastasia.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

If the LibDems won enough seats to be kingmakers I could see a "do you want to join the EEA" or a rerun ref being a coalition price

You would have thought the Lib Dems would learn their lesson from pinning election promises to referendums though

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Well he's got some self awareness at least. I'm still not sure I believe the treason story more than I believe that Gove launched a bid he knew full well was doomed so as to let his mate Boris off the hook. Hezza still the best speaker on Boris, I've never heard such total disdain in public.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Hahaha

Gove is now promising 100 million pounds a week extra for the NHS by 2020.

Even if the weird man with the flappy hands was elected, it wouldn't happen under the Tory Babykiller Squad.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

On a non-Brexit note, anyone in London see the soldiers at stations this morning? If you speak to them they just hand you a card. It's a really powerful tribute, they're like ghosts.

I saw a group in Manchester this morning as well actually, I was on the bus so I didn't interact with them, I thought it was just some historical re-enactors

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Junior G-man posted:

Hahaha

Even if the weird man with the flappy hands was elected, it wouldn't happen under the Tory Babykiller Squad.

awesome, they are going to stick all the impossible promise on this play doh facsimile of a man so that when he loses they can walk back from them because democratic mandate

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Junior G-man posted:

wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

is this guy a loving idiot or something

• Locked thread