Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

qhat posted:

is this guy a loving idiot or something
Yes.

Evidence: The last 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

He means the bosses of the private companies that own the NHS.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
What's everyone's opinions on the Lib Dems? They've been a butt of some jokes for a while but they don't seem so bad, and they've contributed plenty to the UK. They seem to be gaining traction as people become angry with the Tories and Labour seem to be rejecting Corbyn, who could be seen as a symbol for further left views.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

FT posted:

Michael Gove has taken aim at bankers and big businesses as he set out his case to take over from David Cameron as Conservative Party leader and UK Prime Minister.

He said too many people in financial services “are paid vast fortunes as if they are outstandingly skillful when in many cases they are simply lucky”. He also bemoaned that rewards in Britain have gone too often to “big businesses who have rigged the market in their interests”.

What madness is this, the fanatically market worshiping Gove is attacking the bankers whilst Little Red Book loving McDonnoll is busy sticking up for there interests :psyduck:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Purge the Labour right into the lib-dems where they belong and make the Labour party represent labour.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
The lib dems will promise literally anything and then not bother to deliver.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Megaspel posted:

What's everyone's opinions on the Lib Dems? They've been a butt of some jokes for a while but they don't seem so bad, and they've contributed plenty to the UK. They seem to be gaining traction as people become angry with the Tories and Labour seem to be rejecting Corbyn, who could be seen as a symbol for further left views.

What do you think they have contributed to the UK, other than putting the Tories into power of course?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Megaspel posted:

they're a bunch of ineffectual, power-hungry spivs who recently wrecked their party for a second rate role in government and whose collusion with Cameron is one of the proximate causes of Cameron offering a referendum vote in the first place. I wouldn't piss on a libdem if he was on fire

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

CoolCab posted:

The lib dems will promise literally anything and then not bother to deliver.

yeah I can't think of any other parties taht are guilty of this

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Junior G-man posted:

Hahaha

Gove is now promising 100 million pounds a week extra for the NHS by 2020.

Even if the weird man with the flappy hands was elected, it wouldn't happen under the Tory Babykiller Squad.
That's about the increase that you'd get from inflation alone if the budget was kept constant in real terms.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
I love that putting Alan B'stard in charge would be a net positive for the UK right now.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
http://thebrexitplan.com/

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Hm, actually thinking about it now 100mill/week is only 5.2bill more a year. The 2015/2016 NHS budget was £116.4bill so really that's not an unrealistic amount

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

lmfao

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

qhat posted:

Purge the Labour right into the lib-dems where they belong and make the Labour party represent labour.

they'll auto-purge in a bit, no need to rush

probably left-labour should consider a deal with the greens at that point, maybe even nationalists in scotland and wales.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

A great plan I can get behind.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

they're a bunch of ineffectual, power-hungry spivs who recently wrecked their party for a second rate role in government and whose collusion with Cameron is one of the proximate causes of Cameron offering a referendum vote in the first place. I wouldn't piss on a libdem if he was on fire

But tell us how you really feel?

This is pro-click as hell.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:shittypop:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

quote:

Gove says he has no expectation of Article 50 being triggered by the end of this calendar year. He doesn’t actually put a timetable on it at all.

The TRUE BELIEVER OF BREXIT seems to have gotten some cold feet on the issue.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

OvineYeast posted:

they'll auto-purge in a bit, no need to rush

probably left-labour should consider a deal with the greens at that point, maybe even nationalists in scotland and wales.

I think under FPTP there is, maybe 'responsibility' is true strong a word, but a very good argument for a progressive electoral pact. How many constituencies that returned Tory had a majority 'not-Tory' (although this is probably true for almost every MP in parliament).

Labour/Libs/Greens etc have different stances, sure, but there should be enough common ground there to return a Not-Tory government.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

That's about the increase that you'd get from inflation alone if the budget was kept constant in real terms.

To be fair, we should be talking about a decrease from deflation instead.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Junior G-man posted:

The TRUE BELIEVER OF BREXIT seems to have gotten some cold feet on the issue.

amazing. it's almost like he's full of poo poo

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

what's even more astounding is that theresa may is looking pretty good right now

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/748836602156347392

This is bad for Britain.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

LemonyTang posted:

I think under FPTP there is, maybe 'responsibility' is true strong a word, but a very good argument for a progressive electoral pact. How many constituencies that returned Tory had a majority 'not-Tory' (although this is probably true for almost every MP in parliament).

Labour/Libs/Greens etc have different stances, sure, but there should be enough common ground there to return a Not-Tory government.

I'm wary of including the Lib Dems in a 'progressive' movement since 2010, but I'm in a party which still contains the Lab right so...

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

qhat posted:

what's even more astounding is that theresa may is looking pretty good right now

She personally deported children and split up families. Though given they were foreign I suppose that makes her more electable.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

qhat posted:

Somehow Labour have managed to avoid keeping the Tories off the front page of the papers today. Astonishing.

All it took was for Boris to make the single most surprising and baffling decision by one person I've seen in years.

(Most surprising and baffling decision by a collective remains a close call between Leave and Donald Trump)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

As a remain voter, i don't want to see a second referendum because gently caress britain

blowfish posted:

She personally deported children and split up families. Though given they were foreign I suppose that makes her more electable.

she's more electable because 1) daily mail said so 2) she's not michael gove

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
George Osborne has just abandoned his pledge to eliminate the deficit by 2020.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Junior G-man posted:

But tell us how you really feel?

no sir, i don't like them

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
They are going to delay Art50 primarily because they want to get a new general election in before the final effects of Brexit start to affect the general population. So my best guess is an Art50 triggering just before an GE in the spring.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

GaussianCopula posted:

They are going to delay Art50 primarily because they want to get a new general election in before the final effects of Brexit start to affect the general population. So my best guess is an Art50 triggering just before an GE in the spring.

off you gently caress, Nazi

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So Osborne has abandoned his fiscal target, and I poo poo you not Michael Gove used the term 'entrepreneurial state' in his leadership speech to refer to more government investment in R&D. That phrase is directly lifted from one of the economists from McDonnell's lecture series.

Regardless of what people may think of Corbyn I strongly believe he's had a big effect on the Overton window.

Also:
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/748842353188896768

Thus proving that even tearing each other apart will only lose the Labour party one point.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
McDonnell's joining the bugfuck crazy brigade:

http://www.politico.eu/article/john-mcdonnell-leaving-eu-ends-free-movement/

quote:

John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, on Friday set out the Labour Party’s economic plan, saying that after the U.K. exits the EU, “free movement of labor and people will come to an end.”

Labour was unlikely to contest the next election on a platform of staying in the EU, McDonnell said, adding that the party wanted to ensure free trade in the single market and that no EU nationals already in the U.K. will have their rights affected in future.

He said workers’ rights must not be affected by Brexit and called for so-called passporting rights in the financial sector to be maintained. “It won’t just be a few fat cats who suffer,” if the U.K.’s financial sector is damaged, McDonnell said.
"We will end free movement but keep passporting and free trade in the single market. Then, I will poo poo solid gold ponies for three days straight." Granted, it's not as dumb as Corbyn's demand that we invoke article 50 immediately, but it's up there with the worst of the delusional guff the Leave camp has been spouting.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 1, 2016

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
good news

even more good news

https://opendemocracy.net/uk/neal-lawson/labouring-on-its-time-to-leap

quote:

Meanwhile as you read this (and maybe weep) UKIP, its mission accomplished, is in a bunker somewhere working out with Aaron Banks how to morph into a populist and authoritarian workers’ party to win seats from Sunderland, to Stoke to South Wales. Given the mess it’s in, about as far from a government in waiting that you can get, and despite the mess the Tories are in, Labour is likely to be crushed at an election whenever it is and whoever is the leader at the time.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

LemonyTang posted:

Just remember, in the last general election Tories, DUP and UKIP took home a combined 50.1% of the votes. Even under a more democratic system the bastards alliance currently would have an edge.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
If UKIP and Arron Banks create Project Fash and it wins seats in the North it's all over for The United Kingdom of England and Wales. And me. I will be off.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

McDonnell's joining the bugfuck crazy brigade:

http://www.politico.eu/article/john-mcdonnell-leaving-eu-ends-free-movement/

"We will end free movement but keep passporting and free trade in the single market. Then, I will poo poo solid gold ponies for three days straight." Granted, it's not as dumb as Corbyn's demand that we invoke article 50 immediately, but it's up there with the worst of the delusional guff the Leave camp has been spouting.

To be fair he is saying here that freedom of movement will end, and he wants free trade and protection for EU nationals. He isn't promising them, just saying those are the aims.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

jabby posted:

So Osborne has abandoned his fiscal target, and I poo poo you not Michael Gove used the term 'entrepreneurial state' in his leadership speech to refer to more government investment in R&D. That phrase is directly lifted from one of the economists from McDonnell's lecture series.

mcdonnell nicked it from mazzucato, whose book has been positively reviewed in well-known bastions of ultraleftist ubermarxism, such as The Financial Times

I dunno

as I've remarked before, in terms of actual economic policy rather than rhetoric, Corbyn's team has not been all that leftist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Megaspel posted:

Great Scott! Marty! If you can hear me you're trapped in early 2010! We need you to change the future. It's your grandchildren Marty, your grandchildren are part of the New New Nazi party. You have to change it, one second I'll get you a list...

Oh boy Marty it's not good, this list is too long to send across the trans temporal corridor you've found yourself in. Just remember, don't trust the Lib Dems and... good luck, we're counting on you!

• Locked thread