Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

coyo7e posted:

then perhaps an extra 3 cents a day is worth it for your kind

Huh? I have HD service. Just explaining that resolution isn't the only factor involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Fayez Butts posted:

I can tell that's a standard def video on my iphone 5s

That might be because it's way worse than standard def, at 240p.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The TRON cartoon is on Hulu. It's pretty solid and has a good cast. Y'all should watch it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I'm getting old so I might of forgot if this was mentioned before, but I just saw that Halt & Catch Fire season 2 is on Netflix. It is really really good. My favorite show of 2015 along with The Leftovers.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed the first season but was always waiting, at least a little bit, for it to stop being such a mess of completely miserable people self-sabotaging at every turn. When I saw Cameron's nightmare gamer house in the first episode of season 2, I realized that the show and I might be talking past each other

Is the rest of season 2 in that vein? Like, obviously it's far from an objectively bad direction for it, but it definitely wasn't what I was interested in and I'll probably only check out season 2 on Netflix if I hear it ends up in a different direction

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Oh there is still self-sabotaging going on sprinkled with some moments of victory. I also wasn't the biggest fan of Cameron's BBS house, but it did grow on me. To be honest I prefer season 1 over 2, but most critics (and fans) think in season 2 the show went from good to great. I had two issues with season 2. I prefer the main characters all working together (if you can call it that in season 1) than having them scattered everywhere. Also Cameron was a character that started to rub me the wrong way in season 2. Within an episode I could love and hate her. Still I really liked both seasons. While nowhere close quality wise, it is my new Mad Men when it comes to looking at flawed people.

I guess I really didn't answer your question, but if you liked season 1 I can't imagine not liking season 2. Also I binged watched season 1 the week before season 2 started, so it was a different viewing experience for me (could be why I truly like season 1 better). So maybe binge watching season 2 would be a better experience for you. Season 2 does end up at an very interesting place, and I am very curious to see season 3 when it airs later this year.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ChickenMedium posted:

I think that was just TV in general back in the day. I was watching old Rockford Files episodes and it seemed like every one had at least 10 minutes of footage of Rockford just driving places.

There's a lot of that in Kojack too. Which reminds me, I need to finish watching Kojack.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You wanting to watch Kojack has me wanting to watch Kolchak. Is that still up on netflix?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

coyo7e posted:

You wanting to watch Kojack has me wanting to watch Kolchak. Is that still up on netflix?

:doh: that's what I meant, it was last month before I got distracted by something and didn't finish watching Kolchak

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

magnificent7 posted:

I just watched I Am Thor and it was everything Spinal Tap wanted to be, and so much more. It was a great documentary about a b-movie-level rocker trying to stick to his guns an do it his way. He's the butt of some jokes, but he clearly does not care, he loves doing what he's doing.

If you liked Spinal Tap for the jokes as well as the sheer determination of the pretend rockers, then you'll probably like I Am Thor.

Sounds along the lines of the Anvil documentary, then? I unironically have enjoyed Thor's album Only the Strong for over a decade now, so I guess I'll check it out.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Albert Brooks' Defending Your Life, Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World, Lost in America, Modern Romance, Mother, The Muse, and Real Life are all coming to Netflix on the first. If you haven't seen Real Life get on that, it's an overlooked classic

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
There's a pretty weird movie up on Netflix named Hardcore Henry. I wanted to hate it at first, between the ridiculous ultraviolent opening credits sequence and the fact that the entire thing is shot from first-person perspective of the nominal Henry. But holy poo poo is that a weird, wild movie, and after the first few minutes you get used to the shakycam screen. I ended up being really pleased with it, because it was absolutely not what I was expecting.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Real Life and Modern Romance are both great movies that can be painfully close to reality.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

coyo7e posted:

There's a pretty weird movie up on Netflix named Hardcore Henry. I wanted to hate it at first, between the ridiculous ultraviolent opening credits sequence and the fact that the entire thing is shot from first-person perspective of the nominal Henry. But holy poo poo is that a weird, wild movie, and after the first few minutes you get used to the shakycam screen. I ended up being really pleased with it, because it was absolutely not what I was expecting.

I've been ambivalent about Hardcore Henry since seeing a clip where he does the video game tutorial "Look up, now look down, yeah everything checks out, Chief!" scene.

I want to hate it but there's a weird dedication to the bit that I kind of admire. Might as well watch it, I guess!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sarchasm posted:

I've been ambivalent about Hardcore Henry since seeing a clip where he does the video game tutorial "Look up, now look down, yeah everything checks out, Chief!" scene.

I want to hate it but there's a weird dedication to the bit that I kind of admire. Might as well watch it, I guess!

It's not on US Netflix, so unless you're using a VPN you're out of luck

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

morestuff posted:

It's not on US Netflix, so unless you're using a VPN you're out of luck

womp womp

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sarchasm posted:

The videogame stuff, Shartlo Copley in particular, is really clever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

I'm extremely sad that they never had Kirk, Spock and McCoy time travel to the 60s. It's such an obvious idea that would have been so obviously good, I can't believe it never happened. The couple time travel episodes they did do were so good.

That was the idea that Roddenberry pitched for Treks II, IV and V -- that the Enterprise crew went back to November 1963 to stop the Kennedy assassination, and it ended with Spock firing from the grassy knoll.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The videogame stuff, Shartlo Copley in particular, is really clever.
I loved Jimmy. Great character.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
I never expected this but all 13 hours of Jacques Rivette's OUT 1 is on Netflix. Let the binge watching commence.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Timby posted:

That was the idea that Roddenberry pitched for Treks II, IV and V -- that the Enterprise crew went back to November 1963 to stop the Kennedy assassination, and it ended with Spock firing from the grassy knoll.

With Spock played by male model James Franco?

Zoolander 2 should've pulled a Star Trek 4.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
It goes without saying, but watch Spotlight.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

fishtobaskets posted:

It goes without saying, but watch Spotlight.

Yeah, Spotlight is very good. I know a lot of people like to go OSCAR BAIT DERR but it's a very "boring" telling, with some fantastic acting. It's very minimal.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Saying 'Spotlight' is Oscar Bait is kind of loving absurd. Generally speaking films that deal directly with the harsh reality of how rampant and under-reported the sexual abuse/rape of young boys (within The Church and without) don't really do fantastically at the Oscars, at least not historically, in my recollection. It's a subject that to this day people are terrified to make films about and even Spotlight sidesteps the most truly painful, upsetting, and deeply human realities of this sort of abuse.

Anyway, a film like Spotlight getting the attention it got is progress, at least. It's not a streaming film I don't think but to this day the Gregg Araki film Mysterious Skin (starring a very young and raw and obviously talented Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is the only film that has dealt with child abuse that I feel actually touches on and deals with the reality of the human angle.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The best part about Spotlight is that it has a very faint whiff of the stereotypical Catholic Church conspiracy but it's really only human disbelief ( and 9/11) that keep the story from the public.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"Oscar bait" is getting kind of overused in general. Yes, Birdman is about actors and inside stuff, but I really doubt in preproduction people were saying "this, this is gonna win Best Picture." Ditto The Artist which is a goddamn 4:3 black and white silent movie. You wanna tell me that was an easy sell? No.

There's something to be said for the Academy having awarded the big prize to movies about artists and documentarians and so on for the past few years, but the movies themselves are getting written off in the process and that's just dumb.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah, I loved the backlash at 12 Years a Slave as if it's not an amazing movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

"Oscar bait" is getting kind of overused in general. Yes, Birdman is about actors and inside stuff, but I really doubt in preproduction people were saying "this, this is gonna win Best Picture." Ditto The Artist which is a goddamn 4:3 black and white silent movie. You wanna tell me that was an easy sell? No.

There's something to be said for the Academy having awarded the big prize to movies about artists and documentarians and so on for the past few years, but the movies themselves are getting written off in the process and that's just dumb.

When people call a movie Oscar bait, its usually not the kind of thing you're talking about. Like you said, the Academy's recent tendency to reward movies that are about filmmaking is a separate topic.

Oscar bait means a movie, usually starring big name actors who have been nominated or won before, that showcases the specific qualities the Academy looks for in the big categories. Mainly acting and screenwriting. So no big special effects blockbusters, because nobody gives a poo poo about technical awards.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Thanks for the recommendations for I Am Thor. The movie pulling you from vague interest to pity to the joy of seeing hard work rewarded was good enough, but the minute after the credits is the hardest I've laughed at a movie in a while. It's completely out of nowhere and yet perfectly in line with the movie as a whole.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Oscar Bait typically refers to the films of Tom Hooper

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Oscar Bait typically refers to the films of Tom Hooper

Not Tobe Hooper?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Thanks for the recommendations for I Am Thor. The movie pulling you from vague interest to pity to the joy of seeing hard work rewarded was good enough, but the minute after the credits is the hardest I've laughed at a movie in a while. It's completely out of nowhere and yet perfectly in line with the movie as a whole.

It's a beautiful movie. Those Swedish and Finnish metal fans are so polite. I loved the kids that just very meekly ask Thor if he is quite old now and he says that it's the result of 40 years of doing rock and roll.

Everybody watch this movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oscar Bait felt like an appropriate term for The Revenant.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Yeah, I watched it on a whim and I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it. It rather reminded me of the Crank movies in how it revels in its weirdness and violence and just keeps on rolling with its convoluted premise.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

NESguerilla posted:

Oscar Bait felt like an appropriate term for The Revenant.

Oscar Bait is what you use to attract bears

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

"Oscar bait" is getting kind of overused in general. Yes, Birdman is about actors and inside stuff, but I really doubt in preproduction people were saying "this, this is gonna win Best Picture."

Birdman wasn't likely to win, but it's part of the larger problem. It was made to impress people, not to connect with people.

GonSmithe posted:

It's not though. Just like Birdman, it was made with great skill but was hollow. It's whole purpose was to catalogue the horrors of slavery, which I don't think makes for a great story. Just because something is important doesn't mean it needs a movie about it. And they didn't even do a great job at that - they just focused on physical brutality and separating people from their families and (like all of these boring prestige movies) The Power of Love. Ignored all of the larger societal level oppression, and the way the entire southern society and economy was built on slavery, which is actually really frightening and ripe for exploration. And on top of that, they went to great pains to say that the main character was better than the other slaves, and that he in particular deserved to be free, and I'm not even ready to dive into the implications of that.

Anyway, amazing acting, looked beautiful, more interested in seeming important than telling a great story. But if someone was moved by it and I'm sure plenty were, I won't argue with them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GonSmithe posted:

Same as Lincoln and it annoys me with both. They're both phenomenal, 12YAS in particular.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

wafflesnsegways posted:

It's not though. Just like Birdman, it was made with great skill but was hollow. It's whole purpose was to catalogue the horrors of slavery, which I don't think makes for a great story. Just because something is important doesn't mean it needs a movie about it. And they didn't even do a great job at that - they just focused on physical brutality and separating people from their families and (like all of these boring prestige movies) The Power of Love. Ignored all of the larger societal level oppression, and the way the entire southern society and economy was built on slavery, which is actually really frightening and ripe for exploration. And on top of that, they went to great pains to say that the main character was better than the other slaves, and that he in particular deserved to be free, and I'm not even ready to dive into the implications of that.

Anyway, amazing acting, looked beautiful, more interested in seeming important than telling a great story. But if someone was moved by it and I'm sure plenty were, I won't argue with them.

Honest question, you know it is based on the memoir written by Solomon Northup? And what do you mean about The Power of Love? The whole story of Solomon Northup is depressing, he literally disappeared a few years after releasing his story. Some people claim he ran out on his family, others think he was murdered while touring to promote his book. Talk about no happy endings.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, I've read his memoir. I highly recommend it. It's very short, you can read it over lunch. After he escaped he toured the abolitionist circles telling his story, and there's a good chance that someone targeted him for it.

The Power of Love thing is where the main character's main trait is how much they love their family, and that's what pulls them through to the happy ending. It's just generic fill-in-the-blanks writing.

Look, I love my Hollywood bullshit as much as the next person, but it doesn't belong here. Slavery in America is a really fascinating and disturbing topic, and one that America hasnt really grappled with properly. I don't like that 12 Years a Slave uses the narrative we tell middle schoolers to prop up another version of the Hero's Journey, and then gets treated like it has something important to say.

I mean, if I had a 13 year old I might show them the movie and talk to them about it, but at the end of the day it's a so-so story built on a so-so understanding of slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That's not really "Power of Love" unless you're also willing to call The Odyssey that.