Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KARMA! posted:

Well, balls.

I know of one way to dial in the tps, and that's with a little bar that shows in dealer mode next to the error code. It is horizontal, so it's where it should be. If I need to do more than jiggle the tps sensor to center the bar, I believe I would have to procure SDS (suzuki dealer software) from somewhere and there's no time for that. Balls.

Will this trick work? http://kewwibike.blogspot.no/2011/04/thottle-position-sensor-tps-and.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Hey, that's the technique I used when adjusting the last one ! This new one just gives me the middle position, so it's already adjusted probably? Probably.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXie47AIln4

Fin.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I did not hook up the vacuum from the carbs to the iap, the vacuum sensor. And that sensor's plug needs to be disconnected if I need to trick the bike to idle, so the bike was in a limbo.

You are allowed to judge my syncing skills.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Hi CA!

I have a 2014 CRF250L owned since new with ~5500 miles. Daily commute is 10 miles each way with 6 of those screaming WOT on the highway at ~80 mph.

I've noticed that my crankcase is becoming overly full. I changed the oil 2 weeks ago and the oil level in the sight glass has gone from "on the full line" to "nearly filling the entire glass". The only source for this extra liquid has to be the fuel tank, so I'm thinking the injector is sticking open. The bike runs great as far as I can tell and I have no starting issues cold or hot.

Are there any other things that could be wrong and causing the injector to constantly spray fuel? Should I just order a new injector ($$) and replace it? Any other thoughts?

Your consideration is appreciated!

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Chauncey posted:

Hi CA!

I have a 2014 CRF250L owned since new with ~5500 miles. Daily commute is 10 miles each way with 6 of those screaming WOT on the highway at ~80 mph.

I've noticed that my crankcase is becoming overly full. I changed the oil 2 weeks ago and the oil level in the sight glass has gone from "on the full line" to "nearly filling the entire glass". The only source for this extra liquid has to be the fuel tank, so I'm thinking the injector is sticking open. The bike runs great as far as I can tell and I have no starting issues cold or hot.

Are there any other things that could be wrong and causing the injector to constantly spray fuel? Should I just order a new injector ($$) and replace it? Any other thoughts?

Your consideration is appreciated!

Are you checking the oil level when the bike is warm? If you really think it's an injector, change the oil and see if the extra liquid is gas. That's way cheaper than a new injector.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jesus christ on a crutch I'm about ready to kill myself. Bike runs poorly but rideable > clean/rebuild carb > bike won't start > clean carb some more > bike runs briefly if you pump it full of fuel using the accelerator pump (it's a suzuki MX bike with a keihin FCR) but won't idle. No amount of cleaning fixes it and all the jets etc are 100%. What the gently caress do I do now?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Old battery? Compression test? Air leak around carburetor boots?

Alternately just set the idle screw so high that it idles off the main jet at 3000 RPM and say gently caress it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm using a 500cca car battery and it cranks over at a million miles an hour. Compression and clearances are good and there is no air like. It runs fine for as long as there's petrol in the carb throat from me priming it with the throttle. It dies as soon as, presumably, the fuel in the throat is used up. All the jets are factory sized and I have obsessively cleaned everything. The only thing I haven't done is immersed the carb body because there are a few complicated o-rings in the middle of it that are unobtainable anywhere and don't come with any rebuild kit.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

velocross posted:

Are you checking the oil level when the bike is warm? If you really think it's an injector, change the oil and see if the extra liquid is gas. That's way cheaper than a new injector.

Yeah, right after oil change, it would take 30 sec - 1 min for the oil to drip down and be at the level line (which is what factory recommends). When I got home today, immediately after shutdown the oil was above the full line. 15 mins later it was filling the entire glass. It smells "gassy" in the crankcase through the fill hole, but being my first motorcycle, I'm not sure if that smell is normal or not.

I'll do another change and let the current oil sit in a graduated beaker. I assume if there is gas in the oil it will evaporate out of the beaker. Will this work?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Drop a match into the beaker and see what color the flame is.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So two weeks ago I was riding down a country back road and ended up in behind a little cattle drive. I figure maybe 50 head of cattle, and some straight up cowboys (on ATVs and a dirtbike).

What was stupider of me: Proceeding with the cars in front of me, through the middle of the herd, as space permitted? Or not takin my phone out to get pictures of beeves?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Phy posted:

So two weeks ago I was riding down a country back road and ended up in behind a little cattle drive. I figure maybe 50 head of cattle, and some straight up cowboys (on ATVs and a dirtbike).

What was stupider of me: Proceeding with the cars in front of me, through the middle of the herd, as space permitted? Or not takin my phone out to get pictures of beeves?

I would be wary of getting in the middle of a herd of animals that outweigh myself and my bike.

Did the ranchers wave you through?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I would be wary of getting in the middle of a herd of animals that outweigh myself and my bike.

Really, this is about the same situation you put yourself in every time you ride in traffic.

Cows are dumb, lumbering animals that don't bear you any particular ill will, and which may not even be aware of your presence, but they may also through their own ignorance run into you or knock you over.

Cars work the same way.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

I'm using a 500cca car battery and it cranks over at a million miles an hour. Compression and clearances are good and there is no air like. It runs fine for as long as there's petrol in the carb throat from me priming it with the throttle. It dies as soon as, presumably, the fuel in the throat is used up. All the jets are factory sized and I have obsessively cleaned everything. The only thing I haven't done is immersed the carb body because there are a few complicated o-rings in the middle of it that are unobtainable anywhere and don't come with any rebuild kit.

Are you getting fuel in the float bowl? Sounds like the float valve is stuck.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

Really, this is about the same situation you put yourself in every time you ride in traffic.

Cattle can be... a little more unpredictable.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Cattle can be... a little more unpredictable.

Agreed. I've only worked with horses and I know I would never ride near any of them, but then again, nothing is quite as dumb as a horse.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Are you getting fuel in the float bowl? Sounds like the float valve is stuck.

Definitely fuel in the bowl. For one thing the accelerator pump wouldn't work if there wasn't, for another I can do the drain pipe level trick and it's all correct.

E: hahaha took the carb apart and cleaned it for the sixth time and now it won't even do the running-for-a-few-seconds trick and simply refuses to start at all. Everything is as clean as it can be, all the little passages are clean and playing with the pilot screw does nothing even when I turn it in/out to the extremes. Fuel is going into the cylinder as evidenced by the wetness on the plug and there is definitely spark as evidenced by electrocuting myself :suicide:

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 1, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Did some idiot jet it to stupid via the wrong jet model for the bike or gently caress with the idle settings /remove the idle air jet cause it runs better like that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jets are factory, factory exhaust, factory air filter. It was given to me with a leaky as balls carb and running like a sack of poo poo, it now no longer leaks or runs. It also has too much engine braking to bump-start down my steep as gently caress driveway even when employing the decompressor and now I feel like dying after having pushed it back up twice.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chichevache posted:

Agreed. I've only worked with horses and I know I would never ride near any of them, but then again, nothing is quite as dumb as a horse.

Cattle are dumber than horses but not as vindictive or flighty. They don't kill themselves because they remember birds.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Did you take the pilot screw out and check the o ring and tip for damage, and blow out the hole it goes in?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just got it running. When I had start-then-die I was using petrol from my aux tank, presumably that problem was fixed by my repeated cleaning and adjustment. I had no way of knowing this because... I'd been too lazy to go get more petrol so when that ran out I started using the bike's tank. Big mistake. Dumped all the gas, put in fresh stuff and it started on the first loving crank.

The phone conversation that followed:

:) Hey dude I got your bike going, what petrol station did you go to last? Something funny about the gas in the tank.
:banjo: I went to a BP a few weeks ago
:) ok, did something funny get in the tank? Did the bike sit there for ages with older fuel in it before you filled up or something?
:banjo: nope but I tossed in a little bit of two-stroke cause it's good for them every once in a while!

AAAAAAAAAARGH :commissar::commissar::commissar::commissar::commissar::commissar:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Justifiable manslaughter, imo

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

lol bet he poured a liter of the stuff in.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What's a Litre Cola?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
what's the problem? that's a guaranteed repeat customer

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Where did he even get the idea that this is good for the bike?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

RadioPassive posted:

Where did he even get the idea that this is good for the bike?

Old wives tale. Ive heard it a million times. esp. with lawn equipment. way to ensure beer money on the weekends.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Making it run lean is good for it because oil!!!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
our mechanics made us add... dextron III? to our humvees because "jp8 is very dry"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Making it run lean is good for it because oil!!!

Spark plugs need lubricant too!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Oil helps keep my tires black and shiny.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I just feel like a dumbass for not spotting it sooner.

cursedshitbox posted:

Old wives tale. Ive heard it a million times. esp. with lawn equipment. way to ensure beer money on the weekends.

I've heard it a lot with cars but never before with bikes. Ultimately:

Razzled posted:

what's the problem? that's a guaranteed repeat customer

So I'm not that bothered anymore.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

EX250 Type R posted:

our mechanics made us add... dextron III? to our humvees because "jp8 is very dry"

2smoke oil is actually better than using dexIII. less sooty etc.
More wives tales. Less sulfur in modern diesel, but there are some lubricants in it, plus db2 pumps are a wear item so do as you see fit.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
A minor question: I was thinking of picking up a pair of bark busters for my CB125e to help with windchill in winter. I wanted to measure the bar ends to be sure they fit, what is the trick to getting them off?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Not sure if anyone answered this, but regarding coolant: Is any 50/50 premix silicate-free coolant OK for aluminum block motorcycles? Or do I need fancy unicorn coolant that costs 20 dollars/half gallon? (F4i)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

PaintVagrant posted:

Not sure if anyone answered this, but regarding coolant: Is any 50/50 premix silicate-free coolant OK for aluminum block motorcycles? Or do I need fancy unicorn coolant that costs 20 dollars/half gallon? (F4i)

what does the manufacturer recommend

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

EX250 Type R posted:

what does the manufacturer recommend

(Insert manufacturer name here) brand coolant, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Are there any motorcycles for sale today that don't use an aluminum block?

I use Prestone 50-50 premix. Whatever